• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven for DS!

Lofid

Neo Member
Gamecocks625 said:
Right. I count the time and beats so I know when to open and close. However, the point that gets me is when the conductor says "together now"...I'm having trouble knowing the exact point to stop singing. I'm always just a bit early or just a bit late. Maybe it's one and a half beats...actually..I think I have figured it out but I won't be able to try it out until later this evening.

If I remember right, "together now" is actually a flick. They don't explain it in the practice. I kept failing until I tried it out randomly.

rpmurphy

Gamecocks625 said:
Right. I count the time and beats so I know when to open and close. However, the point that gets me is when the conductor says "together now"...I'm having trouble knowing the exact point to stop singing. I'm always just a bit early or just a bit late. Maybe it's one and a half beats...actually..I think I have figured it out but I won't be able to try it out until later this evening.

The shouting part is short, and you can actually judge by visuals since your mouth kinda slowly closes. But important part about shouting is the initial timing. I had a difficult time with the perfect run on that because I would always do it too soon. It's a little more lenient on everything else.

EDIT: I finished the last 5 perfects just today! :D And of course Rhythm Rally 2 was the last one. :lol

rpmurphy

Gamecocks625 said:
A flick? :lol Well dang. I'll give it a shot.

Ah you didn't know? o_o

(It does tell you in the practice :p)

EDIT:
By the way, anyone know when you can get many coins at a time in Samurai Slice? Is it only when the moon has risen?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this game is orgasmic, best impulse buy ever

TimeKillr

So I have the japanese version...

50 Medals, 38 perfects.

I grab the english version...

Now at 50 medals, 15 perfects. lol

Sorta helps that I've played the japanese version, though. Folks at work are always asking me to get them medals on Moai Do Wop, Rhythm Rally and Fillbots.. Wait till they get at Lockstep, Moai 2, Rhythm Rally 2 and Fillbots 2. hehe

Valtor

Banned
rpmurphy said:
EDIT: I finished the last 5 perfects just today! And of course Rhythm Rally 2 was the last one.

:lol same here, this game is HARD! Like pissing me off hard when you only have perfect left... The Moai mini-games are really hard too, as well as most of the later Remixes... But it's still a totally awesome game.

TheExodu5 said:
The samurai slicing minigame is awesome. I can't believe these endless games are so good.

Sooo true! Particularly Shoot-'Em-Up and Samurai Slice. Glass Tappers is fun, but it gets boring pretty fast, And rythmove dungeon becomes AMAZINGLY HARD after level 30.

rpmurphy said:
Shall we start a challenge here?

Currently my scores are:
Coin Toss: 24
Shoot-'Em-Up: 243700
Tunnel: 1836.8
Samurai Slice: 512
Glass Tappers: 51
Rhythmove Dungeon: 31

Haven't done the Rhythmove Dungeon much yet though.

:D Mine :

Coin Toss: 22
Shoot-'Em-Up: 265900
Tunnel: 1194.6
Samurai Slice: 979
Glass Tappers: 97

onipex

Lofid said:
If I remember right, "together now" is actually a flick. They don't explain it in the practice. I kept failing until I tried it out randomly.

I only played the demo ,but on the touch screen it says flick when that part come up in practice.

Chairhome

I finished it a couple days ago and will probably wait a bit before I get back to it to try to get medals/perfects. I absolutely love this game though! I think it was remix 8 that made me go, "Holy crap! This is hard but friggin' awesome!" Just cause
they make you do games that weren't in that column

MNC

TimeKillr said:
So I have the japanese version...

50 Medals, 38 perfects.

I grab the english version...

Now at 50 medals, 15 perfects. lol

Sorta helps that I've played the japanese version, though. Folks at work are always asking me to get them medals on Moai Do Wop, Rhythm Rally and Fillbots.. Wait till they get at Lockstep, Moai 2, Rhythm Rally 2 and Fillbots 2. hehe
I love how this topic makes me feel good about some minigames :lol I finally got a mediocre on Lockstep (Jap. version) Which one is rhythm rally? Is it the photography one? I don't think there's a second one of those o_O I have every minigame...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
MNC said:
I love how this topic makes me feel good about some minigames :lol I finally got a mediocre on Lockstep (Jap. version) Which one is rhythm rally? Is it the photography one? I don't think there's a second one of those o_O I have every minigame...
Ping pong.

TimeKillr

MNC said:

Lockstep is difficult until you finally get used to switching beats. It took me a while but I just found out it's just double taps to get into the other beat and it's dead easy now. I also HAVE to do it with my eyes closed. If I look at the screen I mess up...

Same thing for Rhythm Rally 1 and 2...

zigg

Link Man said:
They NEED to make one of these for the Wii. It's so awesome.

I actually sort of fear a Wii version, given the trouble I had for so long with the swipes... motion control would probably be worse.

Vard

TimeKillr said:
Lockstep is difficult until you finally get used to switching beats. It took me a while but I just found out it's just double taps to get into the other beat and it's dead easy now. I also HAVE to do it with my eyes closed. If I look at the screen I mess up...

I'm at Remix 6, but I had to skip Lockstep to get there. I'll try your advice.

The game is really fun! I'm surprised by some of the hate it has been getting. I think Nintendo has given it a pretty decent push in terms of advertising so I hope it sells well.

Vinci

Danish
Got this game yesterday with ExciteBots. Played it for a few minutes and had fun, but too much time spent with Bots kept me from fully exploring it. I shall correct this oversight in the near future.

rpmurphy

Valtor said:
:D Mine :

Coin Toss: 22
Shoot-'Em-Up: 265900
Tunnel: 1194.6
Samurai Slice: 979
Glass Tappers: 97

Goddamn, you are good at Glass Tappers. I can't seem to keep up when it gets that fast.

I have some updated scores:

Shoot-'Em-Up: 283700
Tunnel: 2053.5
Samurai Slice: 1290
Glass Tappers: 56
Rhythmove Dungeon: 40 (Actually it should be like 70-something, but it doesn't keep count the faster sets :[ )

Amir0x

Banned
I like this game but it's really infuriating how sometimes i will be on perfect rhythm but the game totally won't recognize my fucking flick or whatever. It's definitely not preferable to buttons here, no sir.

ksamedi

Amir0x said:
I like this game but it's really infuriating how sometimes i will be on perfect rhythm but the game totally won't recognize my fucking flick or whatever. It's definitely not preferable to buttons here, no sir.

I wished they used buttons for some of the games as well. In some of them though, the stylus makes sense. The lizard game comes to mind. And the tapping works great as well. The flicks, not so much.

rpmurphy

Amir0x said:
I don't know if I said it here, but if you're having trouble with the flicking motion to be registered by the game, then don't use the stylus. It's much easier with a finger flicking motion than a wrist flicking motion.

Amir0x

Banned
the lizard mating game works very well, basically because you never have to lift up from the screen. On the other hand, they really made that specific rhythm game too easy. You can perfect that with eyes closed (well I can perfect most of the rhythm games here with my eyes closed, so that's not really fair, but it is far easier).

Worst game to flick with... that one with rocking out and ghosts (particularly the STRUM-STRUM-STRUM-STRUM superspeed segment)

I think it's really interesting to see how different people are good at different games. My friend passed on Lockstep and Moai 2 on his first try but I struggled with those for a while (Moai 2, in particular, took me about a day or two to beat). But at the same time, he can't get Fillbots or Rockers down at ALL while I have an extremely easy time with them.

diss

Banned
i'm always surprised when people hate on this game :p i've even had one guy hate on it because he has some sort of mysterious vendetta against the japanese guy who wrote the songs.

personally i don't get the hate. it's so harmless, fun and charming. i even like the difficult bits where you really have to stick a new pattern into your head, or a new way of using the stick, or trying to get your mind around hitting the offbeats. there is a real sense of accomplishment in finally passing it. and then you take a break, come back to it later fresh and it's much easier. and i like the feeling of pressure when trying to perfect something.

i mean in the end it all comes down to the rhythm and my flicks have always come off 100% in the game (i almost always fuck it up on the main menu however ;P) so i don't really understand the comments about dodgy controls. having never played the original or the japanese version i don't really care about the voice acting! the music is all lame cheesy stuff and the silly lyrics and singing are fine for me and work in the context of the game

this game is good times

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Amir0x said:
Worst game to flick with... that one with rocking out and ghosts (particularly the STRUM-STRUM-STRUM-STRUM superspeed segment)

I don't think I'll ever manage to perfect that one because of that superspeed segment :/. Just as I just can't perfect Moai 1 and 2. Ping Pong 2 and Remix #8 I haven't perfected yet because they're a challenge of endurance, and I hate that kind of challenge. I think I've managed to perfect every other stage though.

zigg

Amir0x said:

It's really just the flick that sucks. Everything else works fine.

I got used to the flick enough to medal every level and get about 36 or so perfects. This was after nearly chucking my shiny new DSi across the room after failing to medal Crop Stomp once again because the dude never raised his arms.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems less picky in some games than others, too.

Vard

^ That's pretty neat. I've gotten the hang of Lockstep but not enough gold-worthy yet...

I just got to Remix 8 now and I think that's the hardest one I've come upon yet. The game is surprisingly long (and has great replay value), but I'm a little disappointed that the 2nd half just seems to be sequels of the first half's.

eXistor

I love the game, but is it just me or does the insanity in the game seem really dialed down? The original WW games are just freaking insane and random, this seems much more coherent and it's not doing the game any favors.

BigO

Ah, I finally got all 50 perfects. It wasn't easy, but I never stopped enjoying myself in my quest for perfection. I also like how this game congratulates you as you progress throughout the game via the cafe. It even tries to cheer you up if you start to feel stressed out about a certain game *cough* moai 2 *cough*. It's those kind of personal touches that really make me love this game.

pakkit

Banned
After streaming the demo from the Nintendo Channel to the DSi, I have determined that I must purchase this game post-haste.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm fucking loving these info tidbits after getting a perfect. They are so awesome.

So the Glee Club conductor is one of the Clapping Trio guys from the first game? How did I not see that coming? :lol

This game is awesome. I just started it and made it up to Remix 1. Infectious game, I was all smiles while playing :D Glad to have a new pick up DS game. Tetris, you have been retired.

Teppic

I recorded some of the music from the Japanese game with sound effects. Thought someone here might be interested in it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?momj4mhd1tm

DJ School (With Sound Effects)
Remix 1 (With Sound Effects)
Remix 2 (With Sound Effects)
Remix 3 (With Sound Effects)

The second remix is pretty bad, but there's no misses in any of them. The DJ School is perfect I think (?)

Struct09

hylian_pirate said:
Can someone explain to me why I'm getting an 'OK' rank in The Dazzles 2 when I do it perfectly? This also happened to me with Remix 3.

Are you seeing the sparks (or whatever they are) fly after doing the flick? In The Dazzles, if you do the flick perfectly you get that visual indication. You can also get through by not doing the flick perfectly, but you won't see those sparks (in which case you did it, but it wasn't perfect).

Darkpen

Banned
Just got this for Mother's Day (sort of). My mom really likes Glee Club, but she doesn't really care much for the other beginning modes, and I had to do them for her. Any protips on... just about anything regarding Rhythm Heaven and DS use that I could impart on my mother? I've figured out a few tips to help her out myself, like how to properly handle/hold the stylus in conjunction with the DS for easier sweeping (use your pinky as a pivot next to the GBA slot, and utilize the index/middle/thumb for greater ease in maneuverability along the touch screen.

Are there more Glee-club-esque stages, or is it just that, and the later-unlocked sunset version?

Oh, and my town had this street fair that it does every so often, and there was a tent for Rhythm Heaven, which surprised me. My mom really enjoyed Glee Club, and that was pretty much the reason why we got it.

I didn't have my camera to take photos of the tent, but I did get a souvenir:

wi0qpz.jpg

2dw6ijp.jpg

the sunglasses! not the game :p

There was a green one, too, but I didn't bother getting it. I might go back tomorrow to pick one up, though.

If anyone here wants me to send them a pair, let me know within the next 15 hours :<

I was working on this game and it truly is a game one has to be active for. I was trying to relax and play this game. Apparently those two don't go hand in hand.

Top Bottom