• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 8 - A possible Switch exclusive?

Unknown?

Doubt it is exclusive. Unless they silently removed Xbox/PC from Ace Combat 7’s release because it says it’s PS4/PSVR exclusive.

not really into racing games so I don't care but I shudder to think what Namco Bandai is going to do with metroid prime. It's either going to be something like Dark Souls or something like Cold Vein(a game with no fanservice vs a game that has a ton). I hope for the former.

Petrae

I don’t want to get my hopes up about a new Ridge Racer. I think the series is pretty much dead. If it does happen, I’d definitely follow along and see how it comes out.

OH-MyCar

Ridge Racer used to be my favorite racing franchise, period. For me to be excited about this one, I feel like they actually have to ignore everything that's gone on in the genre in the past decade along with just about everything they've done after the PS2 era. I don't want a NFS-clone or a Forza Horizon-clone (or even worse: something built off of mobile), I want a simple, back-to-basics Ridge Racer. Otherwise they should just retire the brand because they don't know what to do with it.

Last edited:
Man...the last time Nintendo had an exclusive Ridge Racer...it didn't go over too well, if memory serves.

But if there's a new one for the Switch, Ridge Racer 64 better be a hidden easter egg...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Man...the last time Nintendo had an exclusive Ridge Racer...it didn't go over too well, if memory serves.

But if there's a new one for the Switch, Ridge Racer 64 better be a hidden easter egg...

Ridge racers on 3ds was awesome

Breakage

Damn, that would be crazy. I've long associated Ridge Racer with the PlayStation brand. I mean every PlayStation console up until the PS4 launched with a Ridge Racer entry.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions

They had an exclusive on 3DS, but then again Xbox 360 and PS3 had exclusives too and they were pretty similar. For this series, I don't think exclusivity applies the same way as it does for other games. At this point, I'd just be happy to get a new Ridge Racer at all.

They already have a version (Ridge Racer Slipstream) on Android. IIRC the Nvidia Shield and Switch OS are similar so it might not take a lot to get something up and running on Switch. As long as they don't gimp it like they did on the Vita, I think I'll be happy. Hopefully they continue to support it with new tracks and cars in the future as well.

On the topic of arcade style racers, I think this is a genre that has really been under supported on consoles for too long. There are a ton of them on iOS and Android available for free, so I don't understand why publishers have been omitting consoles. It's an area I hoped indie devs would fill the gap with, but so far there haven't been any standout titles that I can think of. Plus Nintendo could port Cruis'n Blast to the Switch as well. I hope this rumor is true, but at the same time I wish there were more than just one game.

They had an exclusive on 3DS, but then again Xbox 360 and PS3 had exclusives too and they were pretty similar. For this series, I don't think exclusivity applies the same way as it does for other games. At this point, I'd just be happy to get a new Ridge Racer at all.

They already have a version (Ridge Racer Slipstream) on Android. IIRC the Nvidia Shield and Switch OS are similar so it might not take a lot to get something up and running on Switch. As long as they don't gimp it like they did on the Vita, I think I'll be happy. Hopefully they continue to support it with new tracks and cars in the future as well.

On the topic of arcade style racers, I think this is a genre that has really been under supported on consoles for too long. There are a ton of them on iOS and Android available for free, so I don't understand why publishers have been omitting consoles. It's an area I hoped indie devs would fill the gap with, but so far there haven't been any standout titles that I can think of. Plus Nintendo could port Cruis'n Blast to the Switch as well. I hope this rumor is true, but at the same time I wish there were more than just one game.

I agree. In fact, did you get a chance to play Ridge Racer Unbounded? Different development team, different gameplay mechanics, it was meant to compete with Burnout I believe.

I'd love to see a return to the glory days of the Ridge Racer games ala. Rage Racer, R4, Ridge Racer V etc

dunno why but feels weird to me to think of as it as just on a Nintendo platform o.0 just, Tekken, Ace Combat, Ridge Racer, always gonna be PS games to me cuz their early history.

that said ... maybe the Switch will do it some good haha

I think it could stand out there. maybe they can focus more on doing some new or interesting things with gameplay. I think it'll stand out better there, and I think as a Switch game it could garner a bit more nostalgia interest. they could do a sort of throwback to R4 style storytelling, maybe do some cool 'club' stuff with the Switch controller. there's actually some reason to be intrigued and optimistic.

Remember the PSP versions of Ridge Racer 1 & 2? I loved the fact that they brought back a lot of the classic tracks from the original Ridge Racer/Revolution and Rage Racer. It also had Ghost Battles where you can download a players data from the servers and race against them. They utilized the Ghost Data system with Tekken 5 in the arcades back in (used in subsequent releases T6, TTT2).

I might be livestreaming Ridge Racer 7 one of these days just to commemorate this 'un-announcement' regarding Ridge 8 on my twitch channel:

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I love Ridge Racer but arcade racers don't do well these days. Like Bayonetta 2, probably the only way they would make it is if someone moneyhatted it.

I love Ridge Racer but arcade racers don't do well these days. Like Bayonetta 2, probably the only way they would make it is if someone moneyhatted it.

I think they're slowly making a resurgence especially here in Asia. A lot of people still play the classic Daytona USA and the new Wangan DX from Bandai Namco. The only way that I think the series can make its big comeback would be to market the games for the hardcore RR fans. I consider myself a huge RR fan and to this day, have a hard time deciding what racing games intrigue me for today's standard. I love arcade style racing games but there are far too few to decide what's best out there.

dunno why but feels weird to me to think of as it as just on a Nintendo platform o.0 just, Tekken, Ace Combat, Ridge Racer, always gonna be PS games to me cuz their early history.

that said ... maybe the Switch will do it some good haha

I think it could stand out there. maybe they can focus more on doing some new or interesting things with gameplay. I think it'll stand out better there, and I think as a Switch game it could garner a bit more nostalgia interest. they could do a sort of throwback to R4 style storytelling, maybe do some cool 'club' stuff with the Switch controller. there's actually some reason to be intrigued and optimistic.

Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and other titles started out on Nintendo platforms but were then successful on Playstation. I'm glad Nintendo is coming back since I don't want to see Sony, or anyone for that matter, get too much exposure and control.

Virex

Banned
Ridge Racer exclusive on Switch. Not under Kaz’s watch. Maybe that’s why he stepped down as ceo Of Sony to stop Nintendo from getting it exclusively and getting down in the dirt to ensure a PlayStation exclusivity. ;)

VertigoOA

Banned
Would buy a new ridge racer but not on switch. Exclusive ridge racer is not new nor does it rule out titles on Xbox or PS4 at all. I don't believe this anyway... or I don't want to believe it.

Same goes for Metroid Prime 4. A Namco developed Metroid game is something I cannot be excited for and that's one of my all time favorite game series. There's no way Retro's replacement can match the original studio's art direction.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I agree. In fact, did you get a chance to play Ridge Racer Unbounded? Different development team, different gameplay mechanics, it was meant to compete with Burnout I believe.

I'd love to see a return to the glory days of the Ridge Racer games ala. Rage Racer, R4, Ridge Racer V etc
I have Unbounded on PC, but I quit playing it. Maybe I had the wrong expectations at the time, but I just don't remember it being that fun to play. I know there are a lot of fans of the older games, but I started to get into the series when it hit the PSP. Since then I've gone back and played some of the older games and I find the controls so much easier to come to grips with in the newer versions. I also like the addition of adding nitro to the series. Aside from those additions, I'm not sure what has changed in the series aside from the improved graphics. What specifically do people want to see the series return to compared to the changes made starting with the PSP versions? What is it about the older games that you prefer over the newer versions?

I've been hearing this argument for awhile now. I think there was a big wig from EA or Microsoft who said they don't do well. If that's the case, then how do you explain arcade racers doing so well on iOS and Android mobile devices? There are a ton of arcade racers to choose from and some of them are console quality. There has to be a reason for this and I would argue that there's still demand for the genre on consoles. I think part of the problem could be with the expectations. Imo, a modern arcade racer could do well on a console if it had good gameplay, decent content and was priced right. Imo, they shouldn't charge more than $20 up front. If it does well, then they could add extra cars and tracks as DLC. I think if they did that, there would be a chance of them being successful financially on consoles, but I agree that the days of charging full retail price for an arcade racer are probably over. The only game I can think of that comes close to doing that is Mario Kart, but I wouldn't really classify that as an arcade racer.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have Unbounded on PC, but I quit playing it. Maybe I had the wrong expectations at the time, but I just don't remember it being that fun to play. I know there are a lot of fans of the older games, but I started to get into the series when it hit the PSP. Since then I've gone back and played some of the older games and I find the controls so much easier to come to grips with in the newer versions. I also like the addition of adding nitro to the series. Aside from those additions, I'm not sure what has changed in the series aside from the improved graphics. What specifically do people want to see the series return to compared to the changes made starting with the PSP versions? What is it about the older games that you prefer over the newer versions?

I've been hearing this argument for awhile now. I think there was a big wig from EA or Microsoft who said they don't do well. If that's the case, then how do you explain arcade racers doing so well on iOS and Android mobile devices? There are a ton of arcade racers to choose from and some of them are console quality. There has to be a reason for this and I would argue that there's still demand for the genre on consoles. I think part of the problem could be with the expectations. Imo, a modern arcade racer could do well on a console if it had good gameplay, decent content and was priced right. Imo, they shouldn't charge more than $20 up front. If it does well, then they could add extra cars and tracks as DLC. I think if they did that, there would be a chance of them being successful financially on consoles, but I agree that the days of charging full retail price for an arcade racer are probably over. The only game I can think of that comes close to doing that is Mario Kart, but I wouldn't really classify that as an arcade racer.

Well, for one thing, arcade racers don't cost $60 on iOS and Android. If they did they would likely not sell at all. For another thing, is it even possible to judge demand for console games based on the popularity of mobile games?

I feel like Ridge Racer needs to carve out a niche for itself. Can anyone tell me what makes Ridge Racer unique? To me it always seemed like it was just a pretty arcade racer with some good music. I can't remember it excelling much in anything. So it needs a better identity, otherwise it's just more a title pushed out to have a racer on switch and I think the Switch and the RR franchise deserves better.

Secretly wishing that a Motorstorm-like game would come out on Switch.

goldenpp72

Switch Exclusive would be a terrible idea

Why? The series hasn't been a force in sales in forever, hell it never was i'm pretty sure. The series just sells worse and worse as time passes, which is why they don't really make big new entries anymore. An exclusive Switch version with no competition is probably the best way to get some easy sales, especially if it gets some Nintendo marketing. Not saying it would be a huge sales force there but, it just hasn't been anywhere, so may as well give it a shot. It's a low tier series by todays standards and hardly a big get for Nintendo either way.

koosa

Banned
This thread gave me an urge to play RR, good thing i keep my PSP in the closet just in case. This gen lacks in terms of arcade racing games, i'd be glad if new RR is in the production, doesn't matter if it's platform exclusive.

This thread gave me an urge to play RR, good thing i keep my PSP in the closet just in case. This gen lacks in terms of arcade racing games, i'd be glad if new RR is in the production, doesn't matter if it's platform exclusive.

RR 1 & 2 on the PSP were difficult games to put down. I would spend the entire battery life just racing through the Grand Prix mode.

Kagero

Reading all the comments made me mad about how badly they botched the launch Vita version of RR. In the end it got better with free patches but damn! Still a fun game though. Unrelated but since you all got me thinking of classic games that need to come back. Nintendo should bring back SSX, or a remaster of tricky would be saaaaaweet!

Reading all the comments made me mad about how badly they botched the launch Vita version of RR. In the end it got better with free patches but damn! Still a fun game though. Unrelated but since you all got me thinking of classic games that need to come back. Nintendo should bring back SSX, or a remaster of tricky would be saaaaaweet!

You know what, it would have been better if it was a free to play game instead. It really was a free to play game if you think about it - 3 tracks, 6 cars I believe one of them was a downloadable Hornet car from Daytona USA

Kagero

You know what, it would have been better if it was a free to play game instead. It really was a free to play game if you think about it - 3 tracks, 6 cars I believe one of them was a downloadable Hornet car from Daytona USA
You bring up a good point. I think you're right. Felt really empty. Very similar to COD on Vita.

I don't really understand why Namco would target the Switch as a main platform for Ridge Racer 8 as an exclusive. Historically it's been well connected to PlayStation, right from the PS1. I hope it's a great game for their flagship title, but would it really find it's true audience? Or would it be a timed exclusive?

KevinKeene

Banned
I don't really understand why Namco would target the Switch as a main platform for Ridge Racer 8 as an exclusive. Historically it's been well connected to PlayStation, right from the PS1. I hope it's a great game for their flagship title, but would it really find it's true audience? Or would it be a timed exclusive?

Kinda agree. Meanwhile Code Vein, Digimon Cybersleuth, Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet, God Eater and so on should all have a Switch-version, but ... don't. Wrong priorities.

But I've said for a long time that im terms of volume, Namco is even worse than Capcpom regarding Switch-support.

Again: A Switch-exclusive RR imo points towards a re-arranged PS3-port.

Kinda agree. Meanwhile Code Vein, Digimon Cybersleuth, Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet, God Eater and so on should all have a Switch-version, but ... don't. Wrong priorities.

But I've said for a long time that im terms of volume, Namco is even worse than Capcpom regarding Switch-support.

Again: A Switch-exclusive RR imo points towards a re-arranged PS3-port.

You make a fair a valid point. Stranger things have happened in outer space. I could agree with Digimon if Sony were to champion it on their handheld like Pokemon on Nintendo but they don't so... yeah. I just think it's come around as a result of poor third party relations from Nintendo for a long long time. If you remove all the niche and party games from the Wii and look if it produced a viable market for third parties, it's hard to say. With all that crap in there, it's hard to get your game noticed. Wii-U just didn't have the consoles in the wild to get the bigger numbers, though that's not to say that it wasn't a success in it's own way. Wii-U was very much like Vita, small install base but an insane attach rate.

Unlimax

Neo Member
Honestly .. hearing this kinda crushed my nostalgia for the RR series .
I always used to see Reiko Nagase as the face of Playstation brand since the PS1 ~ PS2 era , but hearing this rumor makes me wonder if Nintendo has some sense of domination and trying to reach out for another "iconic" gaming character to hostage it on their collection since the exclusivity of Ridge Racer 3D shows that they are willing to do it , its so weird to hear this happen at the same time when Kaz Hirai is stepping down from his position .. ouch :(

Espada

I used to LOVE this series and made sure to play every single one until the quality started to fall off. Eventually they became more infrequent releases and then the series just died with that last one. I'm torn between being excited because Ridge Racer is back, and not really caring because the quality is a huge question mark. It being on one platform only doesn't fill me with confidence that Bandai Namco is serious about bringing back RR.

Top Bottom