• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Vita [Update 2: Tech Demo Video In OP]

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
People can't over react to quality of screens until you see it on screen anyways. If it's playable I will be fine since it looks better than any other HH RR title ever.

Man

iPhone 4 has games with great AA and with the Vita being mucho stronger (and same hardware 'lineage') this be shouldn't concern at all outside of lazy development jobs.

Takao

Banned
_dementia said:
Vita's shortcomings or Namco Bandai lazyness?

I'm going to assume the latter.

Scamco laziness is likely. Their Vita games (Tales of Innocence in particular) look really poor.

Grimmy

Banned
More news from Siliconera:

Ridge Racer Vita Has Many Multiplayer Modes, But Only One Supports 3G

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/0...y-multiplayer-modes-but-only-one-supports-3g/

Multiplayer features are a key feature in Ridge Racer for PlayStation Vita. The game is designed with a Planetary League that puts players in one of four teams. Namco Bandai will release missions each day and players can add to their team’s score by racing on them.

World Race mode has three different kinds of multiplayer options. Ghost Battle lets players exchange data with other players through Near, Wi-Fi, and 3G. After you race a downloaded ghost, data is uploaded so players can see the best ghosts around the world. Ghost Battles aren’t live and this is the only multiplayer option that supports 3G connectivity.

Ridge Racer for PlayStation Vita also has internet battles where eight players around the world can race on a track. Face to face battles record player reactions while you’re racing similar to Ridge Racer 3D or Mario Kart GP. This mode supports up to eight players via an ad-hoc connection. Namco also added time attack and spot race modes for offline racing or crediting mining to tune up your car.

Grimmy

Banned
dr_rus said:
That's because it is clearly rendered at lower than Vita's display native resolution.
I played on Vita and I can tell you that even without the AA it's hard to notice any jaggies when the game is using display's native resolution because of how small the screen pixels are.

Now try to fit this in 5" diagonal (it should be about quarter of it's size for me on my 24" 1920x1200 display) and you'll see that pixel size is so small that jaggies are almost invisible.

While you have a point, I still think the visuals are very disappointing. PS1-level geometry and blurry textures. Look at the below:

169HS.jpg

That's barely a step above the PSP level. Heck, if you play the PSP RR games on the Vita it may look about the same.

Kerrby

Banned
EhrgeizVII said:
03x3B.jpg

I still like the way it looks. I hope they removed anti-aliasing so that it could run at 60 fps.

Besides, you probably won't notice those jaggies on the 5" OLED.

What about the 2D people in the stands? What is this, 1998?

Tellaerin

Grimmy said:
While you have a point, I still think the visuals are very disappointing. PS1-level geometry and blurry textures. Look at the below:

That's barely a step above the PSP level. Heck, if you play the PSP RR games on the Vita it may look about the same.

'PS1-level geometry'? Seriously? I wish I could've had your PS1, then, because that definitely looks nicer than any PS1 games I remember playing back in the day.

Kerrby said:
What about the 2D people in the stands? What is this, 1998?

Are you going to notice this when going around the track at high speed, on a five-inch screen? I understand wanting to see developers push the hardware's limits, but nitpicking something like that strikes me as a little ridiculous.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Jonnyram said:
Ridge Racer V had crazy jaggies and I thought it looked awesome
Jaggies aside - R5 didn't look much different then this does - 11 years ago. And it did that at double the framerate too.

Jonnyram

Fafalada said:
Jaggies aside - R5 didn't look much different then this does - 11 years ago. And it did that at double the framerate too.
Is 30fps for this confirmed?
I thought it was just an unfortunate by-product of an early demo.
Surely they'll bring it up to 60 for release.

how come the game is so jaggies btw? I thought when it's first revealed, many people said Vita resolution on that small portable screen would make jaggies less of a problem even without any AA.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Jonnyram said:
Is 30fps for this confirmed?
I thought it was just an unfortunate by-product of an early demo.
Between R3DS buckling the 60fps trend, and 20-30fps demo with 4months to launch - it sounds pretty unlikely it could be anything else.

It looks like RR7 on PS3. It better run on 60 fps though, that trailer made me cry. Looked sub 30 fps in a couple scenes.

Fuck off, I want my 60 fps RR.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Grimmy said:

169HS.jpg

It's definitely unimpressive, but it's still a pretty big step up from PSP. The car model in the Vita version likely contains more polygons that a full grid worth of cars in the PSP game.

rr2_11_qjpreviewth.jpg

It's clear that the same effort that was put into the original PSP game is not happening here. The same thing was evident with Ridge Racer 3D as well.

Fafalada said:
Yes, it did deliver 60 fps, but it was using field rendering with (something like) an effective resolution of 512x224 per frame. The Vita version is at least doing 960x540 progressive.

That doesn't excuse their results, however, as the visuals are nowhere near what they should be. I still think it'll look great on the Vita itself, but the low framerate is crushing. :(

Oneself

I think it looks good enough. Hopefully they'll manage to make it 60fps or put some motion blur in it.
Ridge Racer hasn't really been a looker since the PS2 days anyways. I admit RR on PS3 looks nice @ 1080p/60fps but it was quite simple graphically.

(I was still impressed by RR on PSP, mostly because it was the most powerful handheld machine at that time.. just like Mercury & Hot Shot Golf blew me away as well)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark10x said:
Yes, it did deliver 60 fps, but it was using field rendering with (something like) an effective resolution of 512x224 per frame. The Vita version is at least doing 960x540 progressive.
Off tangent, but IIRC R5 was 640 horizontal, and their TGS demo was actually full-frame, but lack of time forced some compromises there for release.
As for Vita version - the screens, whatever they did to them, look lower than Vita native resolution. I'll hold-off for release before passing judgement though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fafalada said:
Off tangent, but IIRC R5 was 640 horizontal, and their TGS demo was actually full-frame, but lack of time forced some compromises there for release.
As for Vita version - the screens, whatever they did to them, look lower than Vita native resolution. I'll hold-off for release before passing judgement though.
It was a full 640? It's obvious that they COULD have done a full 640x448 is they had the time. Wish they would have given the US version of RRV the same treatment as TTT. :(

Top Bottom