• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Vita [Update 2: Tech Demo Video In OP]

SkylineRKR

What the fuck man.

RR Vita doesn't look stellar when it comes to details, now they're telling its also at 30fps? That has to be improved or there is something going on with the Vita hardware, Wipeout being said to run at 30fps was enough of a disappointment already.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SkylineRKR said:
What the fuck man.

RR Vita doesn't look stellar when it comes to details, now they're telling its also at 30fps? That has to be improved or there is something going on with the Vita hardware, Wipeout being said to run at 30fps was enough of a disappointment already.
Well, Uncharted is actually looking better than when it was first shown and Marvel vs Capcom 3 is 60 fps without any significant visual downgrades (unlike SFIV 3D).

phosphor112 said:
Hopefully it'll be 60fps by launch... capcom has freaking MvC3 at 60fps... why can't Namco get RR to do the same?
dark10x said:
Well, Uncharted is actually looking better than when it was first shown and Marvel vs Capcom 3 is 60 fps without any significant visual downgrades (unlike SFIV 3D).

The Vita version of UMvC3 runs in sub-native res though.

Atolm

Spiegel said:
(Screenshots)

That track is from RR7. So it's basically a port?. Disappointed. I expected a new take on the franchise by the Japanese team. You know, new stuff, but faithful to the roots, not like the new Western RR..

Atolm said:
That track is from RR7. So it's basically a port?. Disappointed. I expected a new take on the franchise by the Japanese team. You know, new stuff, but faithful to the roots, not like the new Western RR..

I'm pretty sure it's not a port, the track might be not new but the game seems to be.

darkwing

Atolm said:

its a new game, not a port

RSLAEV

wth, after that dubstep touch demo I thought that team was working on some amazing new experience, now it's just a port?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
RSLAEV said:
wth, after that dubstep touch demo I thought that team was working on some amazing new experience, now it's just a port?
sounds like it's going to be the ridge racer we all know. not necessarily a port. just the usual.

the dubstep tech demo had me excited too.

632912_20110915_screen001.jpg

632912_20110915_screen002.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/vita/driving/ridge-racer-working-title/images.html

Special Stage Route 5

neptunes

phosphor112 said:
Hopefully it'll be 60fps by launch... capcom has freaking MvC3 at 60fps... why can't Namco get RR to do the same?
I'm sure Namco will have it 60FPS and ready for the North American launch.

Mr_Brit said:
Wow, that looks awful. It's taken Resistance's crown as worst looking Vita game.

I'd like to see it in motion before saying it looks worse than Resistance which looks awful, that pic is pretty huge and a lot aliasing is added from that.

here's another one:

632912_20110914_790screen002.jpg

[Nintex] said:
Scrolling on this page is quite the event.

"Woah that's a nice car!"

"WHAT THE FUCK NAMCO"

It's stating to feel like the game might be rushed to make JP launch, hopefully things are fixed by December but I really would like to see a vid of the TGS build.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
_dementia said:
The Vita version of UMvC3 runs in sub-native res though.
Wow, I've never heard of sub-native resolutions on handhelds. This is a bad precedent. I don't like it one bit.

(Judging from the screens it doesn't have AA either)

darkwing

old?

IGN hands on

http://asia.gamespot.com/events/tgs...687&tag=updates;editor;all;title;2&pid=632912

There are three aspects that Hideo pointed out that he hopes people notice upon playing Ridge Racer. First are the visuals. Thanks to the OLED screen of the Vita, the game absolutely "pops" thanks to the vibrant graphics in the courses you will race on and the cars in which you will do so. Even at this relatively early stage of development, Ridge Racer on the Vita retains the look and feel of previous games in the series and at times looks absolutely gorgeous with stunning vistas and fast turns. The visuals for the cars, both your own and your oppositions', featured a lot of details, and racing fans can expect that even without currently knowing specifics, there will be a large number of different car options at your disposal.

The second aspect is sound. They really want to take advantage of the audio power of the Vita by offering a unique, yet Ridge Racer-familiar, soundtrack. On top of that, they want to ensure that the audible noise from the various automobiles immerses the racer. When you tap the nitrous button, you clearly hear the extra power your engine gets, so expect to hear other noises that should add to the core experience.

The last aspect is online. While they aren't ready to get into specifics at this moment, the hope is to offer quite a worldwide experience. They anticipate that once the Vita is available everywhere that racers from across the globe will be able to challenge each other in a number of different modes. What this means exactly is unclear, but they do plan to get into the specifics closer to launch in Japan.

Continuing to talk about other features that fans can look forward to, they were unable to go into specifics. As with any other Ridge Racer title, we should anticipate a similar number of cars and tracks, but the exact number is not ready to be made public. In regard to the touch features of the Vita, the only touch function currently available was being able to tap the front screen to commence the demo. When asked about what additional features will use these functions, they could not tell me, but they are fully expecting that you will be able to drive by touching the various touch pads and that the interface will most certainly make use of these capabilities.

When asked about what they have found most challenging when making a Ridge Racer game, we were told it was ensuring that the game is ready for launch. Hideo has been developing Ridge Racer games since the PlayStation 2 era and knows how hard it can be to release a game at the same time as the console. Thankfully, though, he and his team have found that the Vita has been the easiest to work with, and he is very confident that Ridge Racer for the Vita will be ready in December and that fans of the series will be pleased with the final product.

Ridge Racer for the Vita should take full advantage of the hardware.
Our time with Ridge Racer was brief. The single course available took close to five minutes to complete but was very challenging thanks to its tight turns and powerful opposition. Again, fans of the series should be able to pick this up and automatically feel right at home. Ridge Racer for the Vita is expected to launch alongside the PlayStation Vita this December in Japan and should also launch alongside it when it finally comes everywhere else.

darkwing

madmaxx350 said:
You mean Gamespot lol, Yea it's new, now I just need to see the vid.

haha got me, interesting they said

Even at this relatively early stage of development, Ridge Racer on the Vita retains the look and feel of previous games in the series and at times looks absolutely gorgeous with stunning vistas and fast turns. The visuals for the cars, both your own and your oppositions', featured a lot of details, and racing fans can expect that even without currently knowing specifics, there will be a large number of different car options at your disposal.

so i don't think visuals are a problem and this has OLED

jooey said:
at first I was like "well she's holding it from arm's length" but then it kept going. what the fuck, was the stick stuck or disabled or what? the car isn't actually turning!

early on she presses right on the d-pad and the car actually turns right

then she goes back to analog stick and attempts to drive for the remaining two minutes. the stick was problematic.

Linkzg said:

then she goes back to analog stick and attempts to drive for the remaining two minutes. the stick was problematic.
She kept pushing up on the stick.

I like how the game looks. Hopefully track design is good with lots of them included.

I thought Namco were teasing a new visual style for this one or something a few months ago? Looks exactly the same as every other RR game released in the past ten years or so.

FoxSpirit

Linkzg said:

What are you talking about?
She didn't even really use it >_<
Or pressed up-right... or... god, look what she is doing. Look at those finger o_O
So, please a vid from someone who has used a stick in his/her life. :-\

Sintoid

Come on it's not analogue fault, she push up to steer right XD
She doesn't know a thing of games, she's probably an hostess that kindly helps the filmmaker XD

Xiaoki

Jinfash said:
Wow, I've never heard of sub-native resolutions on handhelds. This is a bad precedent. I don't like it one bit.

The bad precedent being: quick and dirty launch day cash grabs will get you nothing.

Jinfash said:

Game over yeaahhhh

c7G7n.png

Wonko_C said:
Namco: Get rid of the motion blur and DOF if that's what it takes to have it at 60fps. Do it!

I think those are only for the replay, so it's unlikely that would help. Looks like they're rendering the out of foucs parts at lower resolutions and blowing it up, so it might even end up faster that way.

sajj316

Game looks stunning. Really hope they push for 60 fps. I'm not sure at what stage of development this game is. Is this going to be a launch title in Japan?

Edit: Just read the impression. If it's 30 now, slim chance it will be 60 by Dec.

Kerrby

Banned
Maybe it's just me having never played a Ridge Racer game before but that doesn't look that great. Still doesn't take the crown of worst graphics on the Vita that Resistance has.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Jinfash said:
Wow, I've never heard of sub-native resolutions on handhelds.
To date there was exactly one handheld that can even DO this (PSP), and there's a fair share of titles that didn't run in native resolution on PSP (there were cases of both above/sub).
3DS would be the second - and 6months from launch it's already flirting with this (games adding extra samples in 2D Mode).

Anyway on topic - 30fps and the media shown so far makes for a VERY disappointing combination. It's sad Namco always throws Ridge launch titles together in such a rush (and then never follows up either).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
DAY ONE

now show me someone who knows how to play.

that this has online basically already confirmed im buying it. that, and its ridge racer.

Famassu

Kerrby said:
Maybe it's just me having never played a Ridge Racer game before but that doesn't look that great. Still doesn't take the crown of worst graphics on the Vita that Resistance has.
How is Resistance even close to being Vita's ugliest game?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Fafalada said:
To date there was exactly one handheld that can even DO this (PSP), and there's a fair share of titles that didn't run in native resolution on PSP (there were cases of both above/sub).
3DS would be the second - and 6months from launch it's already flirting with this (games adding extra samples in 2D Mode).
Haha, well that was an epic derp on my part. If that's the case then maybe I'm not good at noticing sub-resolutions on handhelds as much as I thought.
(to be fair, older systems had the benefit of me being a young and uneducated gamer).

Can you name a few PSP games running at sub-native res, and guess by how much they are?

Famassu

Kerrby said:
Have you seen the game? Even someone above said the same thing as me, Resistance is ugly!

F9GLZ.jpg
It has the boring grey/brown art style, but it's not in any way an ugly game or technically incompetent. At least it looks like some PS2.75 game whereas others (Ys, ToIR etc.) look like PSP games.

And kudos for choosing a shitty quality non-direct feed pic of the game.

Kerrby

Banned
Famassu said:
It has the boring grey/brown art style, but it's not in any way an ugly game or technically incompetent. At least it looks like some PS2.75 game whereas others (Ys, ToIR etc.) look like PSP games.

And kudos for choosing a shitty quality non-direct feed pic of the game.

Go watch some trailers and then look at the textures, more specifically his gloves and what not.

Top Bottom