• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Vita [Update 2: Tech Demo Video In OP]

Maybe I've been away from handheld gaming for too long, but that just doesn't look that great to me. And if they plan on releasing an RR game looking like that at 30 FPS, then: WOW, YUCK!

Wonko_C

slidewinder said:
Maybe I've been away from handheld gaming for too long, but that just doesn't look that great to me. And if they plan on releasing an RR game looking like that at 30 FPS, then: WOW, YUCK!

It doesn't look so hot indeed. That course is missing all the foliage from its RR6 & 7 counterpart making it look really flat, and the textures seem to be lower resolution than in those games, I don't know what's going on with Namco but because of the Vita's lower resolution I expected this to look at least on par with RR7 track detail wise and run at 60fps, so let's hope they pull through.

duckroll

I dunno. Looks really rough to me. Like pretty much all Japanese developed Vita games, it simply doesn't feel like the tech jump it needs to be to really impress. Also, what's with all Ridge Racer games having off-screen gameplay footage which start with loading screens when they're first unveiled. Lol.

poor performance indeed. looks nice, but in the new video, it feels slow. it's a Vita launch game too, so just about 3 months from now. fix it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I can even tell the game is struggling to keep a steady framerate. (Ok, that and other reports have pointed it out)

Spiegel

26ymt.jpg

yc3uI.jpg

ewchs.jpg

biVrv.jpg

98sXO.jpg

V5wyf.jpg

iwTTE.jpg

IoSHr.jpg

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Call me crazy, but I'd like to see a Ridge Racer game with real cars. I mean, there are cars IRL that look Ridge Racer-ish to me! (McLaren MP4-12C, Ferrari 458 Italia, Lamborghini Aventador, Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid Concept, Alfa Romeo 4C Competizone)

twinturbo2 said:
Call me crazy, but I'd like to see a Ridge Racer game with real cars. I mean, there are cars IRL that look Ridge Racer-ish to me! (McLaren MP4-12C, Ferrari 458 Italia, Lamborghini Aventador, Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid Concept, Alfa Romeo 4C Competizone)

You're crazy.

I think there is a certain appeal to the fictional Ridge Racer cars and brands they've created. NFS: Hot Pursuit from last year was a perfect arcade racer with real cars.

Ridge Racer is it's own thing.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
BruiserBear said:
You're crazy.

I think there is a certain appeal to the fictional Ridge Racer cars and brands they've created. NFS: Hot Pursuit from last year was a perfect arcade racer with real cars.

Ridge Racer is it's own thing.
Eh, I hope the Asphalt game Gameloft is cooking up for the Vita is okay. That may be what I'm looking for.

Wonko_C

twinturbo2 said:

R: Racing Evolution wants to have a word with you.

Also: Isn't Ridge Racer Unbounded using real cars? They don't look like Ridge Racer cars to me.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Wonko_C said:
R: Racing Evolution wants to have a word with you.

Also: Isn't Ridge Racer Unbounded using real cars? They don't look like Ridge Racer cars to me.
R: Racing Evolution isn't really what I'm looking for, and Unbounded isn't using real cars.

DiscoJer

Bad_Boy said:
environments seem to be lacking something. but damn those cars look hot.

I guess they look a little better than this...

254350_10150208227781702_99872996701_6957774_2309351_n.jpg

246758_10150208228001702_99872996701_6957780_731854_n.jpg

But that's from basically a half-dozen person company after they had their devkit for a month

Sony & Namco really don't seem to be getting much from that Cellius money

Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps. Please be 60 fps.

Jonnyram

Ridge Racer V had crazy jaggies and I thought it looked awesome.
This is gonna look beautiful on that small OLED screen.

TGMIII

Grimmy said:
So much for Vita's AA capabilities... This and Katamari are so jaggy.

Yeah because launch day games show of a systems full potential right? Plus so far everything looks like it's just a port of RR7 content. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shame it's 30FPS, looks like it even chugs at some parts. Will probably end up skipping this unless it miraculously changes before release.

Atolm

The game looks like a rehash of RR7 more than anything, I won't buy it this time I think. Unless old fans tell me the game is the second coming of Christ or something like that.

mocoworm

The video title is:

'E3 2011 Gameplay: Ridge Racer + PS Vita'

I see no Gameplay.

[EDIT. Second video shows gameplay, but does not say Gameplay in title. How odd. ]

Durante

Grimmy said:
So much for Vita's AA capabilities... This and Katamari are so jaggy.
Vita has fantastic AA capabilities. The only conclusion is that some japanese developers simply don't like AA. I won't buy their games.

tsab said:
I do not intent to derail the thread or troll, but the guy seems frustrated handling the psvita. And of all the control schemes he is playing with the d-pad.
sticks or motion damn it

sceptical.jpg

Ridge Racer actually works really well with the d-pad.

tsab

SolidSnakex said:
Ridge Racer actually works really well with the d-pad.

How's so? all I see the guy either tapping the d-pad or correcting his course while turning.
Or is that how you are supposed to play it?

apologies, I haven't played Ridge Racer since Ridge Racer Revolution.

Joni

twinturbo2 said:
Eh, I hope the Asphalt game Gameloft is cooking up for the Vita is okay. That may be what I'm looking for.
I would avoid that one. Steering is horrible, game is ugly. That was at GamesCom, so they still have a bit of time to improve it, but I'm not optimistic.

dr_rus

Grimmy said:
The game looks like a jaggy mess....

http://andriasang.com/comywg/
That's because it is clearly rendered at lower than Vita's display native resolution.
I played on Vita and I can tell you that even without the AA it's hard to notice any jaggies when the game is using display's native resolution because of how small the screen pixels are.

This is rendered in Vita's native display resolution:

29ekt54.jpg

Now try to fit this in 5" diagonal (it should be about quarter of it's size for me on my 24" 1920x1200 display) and you'll see that pixel size is so small that jaggies are almost invisible.

Berksy

Yeah Dpad is better for RR. And you usually take corners drifting while playing RR games that's why the player in the video can't play.

I will stick with WipEout for my launch racing game needs, I guess.

Edit: also even low res oled screens have good quality images especially animated so I think it will look better while in action.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
tsab said:
I do not intent to derail the thread or troll, but the guy seems frustrated handling the psvita. And of all the control schemes he is playing with the d-pad.
sticks or motion damn it

sceptical.jpg
You play ridge racer with the sticks? Why?

Gk6tw.jpg

2Cx5M.jpg

Bma2U.jpg

169HS.jpg

03x3B.jpg

I still like the way it looks. I hope they removed anti-aliasing so that it could run at 60 fps.

Besides, you probably won't notice those jaggies on the 5" OLED.

Top Bottom