• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP THQ/Toy Head-Quarters (1989-2013)

Chopper

Wait, what?! I totally missed this "other thread". Holy shit. Sad times.

On the other hand, my fingers are crossed for good WWE games now.

Glass Rebel

This has been quite an experience. Seeing a company like THQ completely fall apart was quite sad but I'm happy that at least some jobs and projects were saved.

The biggest and best surprise for me was SEGA buying Relic. I think they're in very good company alongside Sports Interactive & Creative Assemply and I fully expect the Warhammer 40k license to follow them. It'll be very interesting to see what they'll do after Company of Heroes 2 but I'm very excited about them joining the SEGA West family.

Koch Media/Deep Silver's acquisition of Volition and Saints Row came completely left-field but it's not necessarily bad I think. Those two assets push them up a few steps on the publisher ladder and from what I've heard the studios retain a lot of creative freedom. I'm glad they outbid Ubisoft on those and Metro: Last Light.

Take Two bidding $11m for Evolve makes me very optimistic about the game and the concept art looks promising as well. Clearly TT saw something in the game if they were willing to bid so much for it.

Homefront being bought by Crytek is just so surreal. More than likely they're just trying to not let all their work go to waste but I still can't help thinking "who would want that?". I doubt this franchise will go beyond Homefront 2 and I'm not even interested who's going to publish it.

THQ Montréal in the hands of Ubisoft is annoying and somewhat hilarious. Patrice is in the most awkward situation and I'm really sorry for him but more than that I just didn't want more studios and franchises ending up at Ubisoft and use their terrible uPlay client. Same goes for South Park. Seeing as there was nobody else bidding for either, I can't be too mad though. Disappointed in Square-Enix not showing up but I guess they didn't need a third studio in Montréal.

The biggest tragedy here was the closure of Vigil. I just can't believe that nobody would be interested in such a talented albeit unfocused developer as Vigil. I've said it before but I'm convinced that a different publisher could have made Darksiders a profitable endeavour. I just hope the guys and gals at Vigil land on their feet and find new jobs in the Austin area (Arkane and Retro are hiring, guys!).

All in all a very sad moment indeed but I hope that future companies will learn from it.

zkylon

zkylewd
It really is kind of crazy to see veteran companies like Volition being sold for pennies like 20 million. I mean, a pretty average soccer player from a less than average soccer team here in Argentina just got sold today for 10 million. Volition is a whole company with a handful of succesful IPs and who knows how many employees.

RIP for making some really solid and fun games this gen like RF Guerrilla, Darksiders and SR2 but then going on a streak of making some of the worst games I've played this gen like Space Marine,

I'll always have my N64 wrestling games and the first few PS1 smackdown games.

Are you shitting me?

Man, all these folks mentioning the name, and here I was still calling them Toy Headquarters.

This has been quite an experience. Seeing a company like THQ completely fall apart was quite sad but I'm happy that at least some jobs and projects were saved.

The biggest and best surprise for me was SEGA buying Relic. I think they're in very good company alongside Sports Interactive & Creative Assemply and I fully expect the Warhammer 40k license to follow them. It'll be very interesting to see what they'll do after Company of Heroes 2 but I'm very excited about them joining the SEGA West family.

Koch Media/Deep Silver's acquisition of Volition and Saints Row came completely left-field but it's not necessarily bad I think. Those two assets push them up a few steps on the publisher ladder and from what I've heard the studios retain a lot of creative freedom. I'm glad they outbid Ubisoft on those and Metro: Last Light.

Take Two bidding $11m for Evolve makes me very optimistic about the game and the concept art looks promising as well. Clearly TT saw something in the game if they were willing to bid so much for it.

Homefront being bought by Crytek is just so surreal. More than likely they're just trying to not let all their work go to waste but I still can't help thinking "who would want that?". I doubt this franchise will go beyond Homefront 2 and I'm not even interested who's going to publish it.

THQ Montréal in the hands of Ubisoft is annoying and somewhat hilarious. Patrice is in the most awkward situation and I'm really sorry for him but more than that I just didn't want more studios and franchises ending up at Ubisoft and use their terrible uPlay client. Same goes for South Park. Seeing as there was nobody else bidding for either, I can't be too mad though. Disappointed in Square-Enix not showing up but I guess they didn't need a third studio in Montréal.

The biggest tragedy here was the closure of Vigil. I just can't believe that nobody would be interested in such a talented albeit unfocused developer as Vigil. I've said it before but I'm convinced that a different publisher could have made Darksiders a profitable endeavour. I just hope the guys and gals at Vigil land on their feet and find new jobs in the Austin area (Arkane and Retro are hiring, guys!).

All in all a very sad moment indeed but I hope that future companies will learn from it.

Thank you so much, I'd been busy all day and really needed to get up to speed on the final results.

I'm sad as shit about South Park.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
RIP THQ.

What will happen to their PSN and XBLA games like Costume Quest and Stacking?

A company awesome enough to not only greenlight an innovative game like de Blob but even a sequel despite low sales of the original is a ok in my book. Speaking of which, I know Blue-Tongue is out of business, so who owns the de Blob IP now?

BlackJace

Thank you for Darksiders and Saint's Row, THQ!
You will be missed, and I will be buying SP: Stick of Truth Day 1.

This gen blows man.

JordanN

Banned
I think this is my only Thq game.
sPaCm8U.jpg

It wasn't half bad.

RM8

As sad as it is to see another company die, I don't think I've ever owned one of their games... so yeah, personally this isn't Hudson-painful by any means. My brother adores WWF No Mercy, though.

Wow. We've seen a lot of publishers bite the dust. 3DO, Midway, Acclaim, and now THQ and Atari. It is a brutal business. I guess you really need some reliable franchises like Madden, CoD, and GTA to survive in this tough business.

For those who care all the games that were published by THQ in the nearly 25 years that they've been around:

Looking at that list, you can see what did them in. They were heavily reliant on licensed kiddie shovelware. With the rise of the iPhone, Android, and iPad killing the kiddie market, they had to transition quickly. But the space they had to transition to was already populated with tough competitors. The transition failed.

Degen

those N64 wrestling games were it back in the day

no idea why THQ decided that Smackdown was the series to keep going with, although SD: Here Comes the Pain and SvR 2006 were great

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
A company awesome enough to not only greenlight an innovative game like de Blob but even a sequel despite low sales of the original is a ok in my book. Speaking of which, I know Blue-Tongue is out of business, so who owns the de Blob IP now?

The original de Blob didn't sell that badly. Got over 700k worldwide, so it was a modest success.

It fell prey to the same thing that killed uDraw and now Epic Mickey 2: attempting to take a moderately successful Wii game and put out multiplatform/HD sequels.

RobbieNick

Thanks THQ for...

WWF/WWE Games.

Red Faction Guerilla

Saint's Row

De Blob WHY DID YOU PEOPLE NOT BUY THIS GREAT SERIES?! THE MUSIC WAS AWESOME AND SO WAS THE GAMEPLAY! "Sobs"

Two years of Free Parking at E3 while promoting Homefront and Saint's Row the Third.

Cheapy D as DLC.

I'm really glad WWE got a home with 2K Games. That can only improve now.

Thanks THQ for Company of Heroes, Darksiders, Saints Row the Third, the first STALKER, Titan Quest Gold and Gitaroo Man. RIP THQ, you will be missed. Never knew that acronym meant that either. Mind blown.

friday

Thanks THQ for bringing the STALKER series to the US. They are some of the greatest experiences I have had playing video games. Those games showed me what was possible for RPGs and open world games.

Dead Man

Yeah, add me to the never new that is what THQ stood for list. The WWF games and RF1 were godly, and more recently SR 2 and3 have been amazing. RIP. Hope Volition gets to do some more good stuff.

This really is sad. I generally tend to assume that big game publishers are just legions of soulless money-grubbing scumbags, but THQ have always been the exception. Up until the past few years when they suddenly decided they wanted to be EA or Activision, the games they published and the studios they supported were all heart. If there's one thing this cold-blooded industry needs, it's more heart. We are definitely worse off for having lost them.

Top Bottom