• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will have 3 modes on PS4Pro

dealer-

Impressive if true. Would be surprised if the majority of devs do this. Avalanche will probably have a slideshow mode.

TheXbox

May as well add PC sliders at this point. Increase fidelity, sacrifice res and framerate. That's where we're at.

Cool to have options, though. I wonder how Sony are going to message this, or if any standards are going to emerge with this thing.

Make this standard for all games please. Doesn't even need to be locked 60fps for high framerate mode just put all the extra juice towards it

Good job, devs.

Hope this will be standard for at least all of Sony's first party games. It needs to. I guess for other developers it can be a hassle. We still don't know what they want from devs for the Pro.

Given the GPU in this is basically a RX 480, it can do nice things, I guess in 4k30.

K7dStKj69am7zs63jC8V4g.png

Yoshi88

So, what does this mean for running on an old PS4?

No bells, no whistles, 108ßp and somewhere up to 30 fps?

Does this mean, (depending on the developer) we will have up to 4 different settings across the PS4 family? 3 Pro modes, one old one?

Mikey Jr.

- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p high framerate, the game locked at 60 FPS

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

That sounds good to me.

Edit :

The source was the Crystal Dynamic guy on the Sony live. I'm sure you guys can find it.

Please let this be standard

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Translation:

- 4k Temporal with low settings
- 1080p/60-ish fps with medium-low settings
- 1080p/30 fps with medium settings + maybe some high.

Plum

Don't get your hopes up on every game having this. Very few older games will and newer games will likely just up the eye candy at 1080p but keep the same framerates. We're going to get a few games like this made to "sell" the PS Pro and then it'll be the same no-choice free for all we had before for the majority of titles.

eFKac

If that means options then I want that smell more.
I really hope not many games do this. Part of the reason I left PC gaming was because I can't stop changing settings, even just when I move the camera. Decisions like this paralyze my ability to simply play a game.

This is me as well basically. Want options, PC is always the way to go. Console gaming is (was?) about the curated, fixed setting where you didn't have to worry about anything, it was optimized as much as the dev pushed it, you took it or you didn't.

nOoblet16

Considering you have

- an option of 1080P/60FPS at PS4 level graphics
- an option to run 1080P/30FPS at max graphics

I am fairly certain the 4K/30FPS version will be below PS4 level graphics. Otherwise I just don't see how the game can offer PS4 graphics at 1080P/60 and then quadruple the resolution with only half the framerate.

Jeels

I hope every game is like this with two 1080p modes because framerate isnt as important to me as all those flashy effects. <3 30 fps stable + high graphcis quality is what I want.

LAA

Great. This is how all games should handle Pro. I can't see most people caring for 4K, they need to sell it for 1080p owners and this is a great move all round.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i don't see how Sony can mandate that kind of thing when they are still just selling one title across PS4 ecosystems. Doesn't it mean more optimization and work for the same amount of payoff?

Seems far more complicated than it needs to be

foxbeldin

Considering you have

I am fairly certain the 4K/30FPS version will be below PS4 level graphics. Otherwise I just don't see how the game can offer PS4 graphics at 1080P/60 and then quadruple the resolution with only half the framerate.

Won't be native 4k. It will use 'rendering techniques' such as checkerboard 'rendering.

jackdoe

Don't get your hopes up on every game having this. Very few older games will and newer games will likely just up the eye candy at 1080p but keep the same framerates. We're going to get a few games like this made to "sell" the PS Pro and then it'll be the same no-choice free for all we had before for the majority of titles.
The pessimist in me thinks that they put all this effort to get stage time from Sony and get included as part of the PS4 Pro marketing push so that the title doesn't underperform for a second straight year.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So, what does this mean for running on an old PS4?

No bells, no whistles, 108ßp and somewhere up to 30 fps?

Does this mean, (depending on the developer) we will have up to 4 different settings across the PS4 family? 3 Pro modes, one old one?

1080p/30 with medium-ish settings. Same as always.

fantomena

This is me as well basically. Want options, PC is always the way to go. Console gaming is (was?) about the curated, fixed setting where you didn't have to worry about anything, it was optimized as much as the dev pushed it, you took it or you didn't.

I have to disagree, I think it's very good to have "PC-like" options.

Cudder

i don't see how Sony can mandate that kind of thing when they are still just selling one title across PS4 ecosystems. Doesn't it mean more optimization and work for the same amount of payoff?

Developers are free to do what they want. They can include just one "Pro-optimized" mode, or they can have 10 varying "Pro" modes, all with varying degrees of options/graphical settings.

Riddler

Translation:

- 4k Temporal with low settings
- 1080p/60-ish fps with medium-low settings
- 1080p/30 fps with medium settings + maybe some high.

Yea I won't listen to Scot Amos of Crystal Dynamics. I'll go with your translation.

Seriously though this great and I hope more Devs follow.

Nzyme32

Considering you have

This is false - the actual quote for "high framerate mode"

"We lock you at 1080p, but unlock the framerate; so you can go north of 45 frames or better"

spwolf

- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

That sounds good to me.

Edit :

The source was the Crystal Dynamic guy on the Sony live. I'm sure you guys can find it.

i love it, this is a way to go.

Having multiple modes for the PS4 Pro would be amazing! I hope more developers do it!

The GPU isn't as fast as a RX 480 though, the RX 480 is a 5.8 teraflop GPU, this has a 4.2 teraflop GPU.

It's 72% of a RX 480. With CPUs nowhere near those used for those benchmarks.

What happened to "code to the metal" and "console optimization"? xD

They can surely squeeze something more out of this even without that mumbo jumbo. We need an all AMD benchmark at 4k.

Even 70% of 4k with reconstruction can look amazingly good if done right.

Something like Ryse on X1. 900p but damn it looked good at launch.

Top Bottom