• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will have 3 modes on PS4Pro

Fredrik

Gotta love how all of a sudden having to deal with 3 or more presets/options is hip and cool haha
It's better than nothing.
But I don't get why they won't just include the graphics settings menu from the PC version though. If ~45fps 1080p isn't good enough for me then why not let me drop the quality on AA, textures,shadows or something like that to get solid 60fps?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
i don't see how Sony can mandate that kind of thing when they are still just selling one title across PS4 ecosystems. Doesn't it mean more optimization and work for the same amount of payoff?

Seems far more complicated than it needs to be

Sony will just let developers do what they want.

I sincerely hope this is how developers use the Pro's upgrades.

An in-game setting choice between:
  • Base PS4 Mode: 900-1080p @ 30fps.
  • PS4 Pro 60fps Mode: 1080p @ 60fps. Maybe other improvements.
  • PS4 Pro 4K Mode: 4K @ 30fps. Maybe other improvements/changes.
... is how ALL developers should do it.

Period.

This is how every game needs to manage it now.

Agreed.

I genuinely wonder how much dev time something like that takes. If this is viable for every team out there, then I'd love to see this type of stuff become standard.

Adding graphical options to a game, if the game doesn't already support them, is a huge amount of work. But for a game like Tomb Raider that already has these built into their PC version, it's probably far less of a problem. This could be especially true, as devs start to plan for the types of features.

I love this type of mentality when moving towards 4K support, it's great for gamers.

jackdoe

Sony will just let developers do what they want.
The most they'll do is "encourage" devs to put in the extra legwork through marketing deals. The titles they showed off have Sony marketing deals (and I'm assuming Andromeda is going to as well).

Slaythe

If the PS4 Pro can't handle the game at a steady 1080p60 then the 4K setting must be miserable...

Well no since the game maxed out is locked at 30 FPS.

The new techniques they use to achieve 4K are mostly GPU dependent.

The CPU is garbage and it's what makes it harder to achieve a higher framerate consistently.

Hikami

Will be salty if only the Pro gets these kinds of options.

Nioh already gives you a choice between 1080p 30fps or 720p 60fps, for example. On the base PS4.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Period.
Nah, I want my 1080p/30fps full on graphics whore settings.

This game should hold a steady 60fps considering it was made to run on last gen 360 consoles. Although the higher quality on 30fps is interesting.

jobboy

Period.

agree. well said

Boke1879

Devs will most likely do what they wish to do.

But I think Devs should try and push for at least 2 settings. A Pro mode with all the bells and whistles locked at 30fps. And a second setting that prioritizes framerate.

Venom Fox

Banned
You guys do know this was in the leaked document. I did say this the other day. The document stated that 1080p users get extra graphical improvements if they don't use 4k.

Tagyhag

This is how every Neo patch should be.

But lol@ north of 45.

Just lock it at 60 damn it. Put some settings down. You already have the 30fps being the bell and whistles mode. It's basically a "Graphics mode" or "Gameplay mode".

You don't get 60fps just by keeping the res 1080p. Rise even at 1080p is still not going to be 60fps locked. The FPS gain is not double.

Not all games will be able to reach 60fps, but with some altered settings, I'm sure many could reach a true, locked 60fps mode, even if it isn't with every single bell and whistle intact.

Much like how devs will likely have to scale and alter visual effects to reach 4K @ 30fps (even with upscaling/rendering).

- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p high framerate, the game running at >45 FPS targeting 60

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

That sounds good to me.

Edit :

The source was the Crystal Dynamic guy on the Sony live. I'm sure you guys can find it.

Edit 2 :

60 FPs target with dips, and over 45, so I assume 45 minimum, mentioned optimal for speedrunning though, where dips are death, so heh.

Good to see devs already doing this.

There really isn't anything stopping any dev from also doing this.

molnizzle

Period.

Yep.

For the record, I have a gaming PC and I hate fiddling with settings. I'd rather developers do all the fiddling for me and I just choose between 60fps or 30fps. This is reassuring.

Just lock it at 60 damn it. Put some settings down. You already have the 30fps being the bell and whistles mode. It's basically a "Graphics mode" or "Gameplay mode".

This is something I could get behind.

No numbers, just "performance vs. quality". And a slider.

Let those weirdos play at 20fps if they want xD

vg260

Period.

Yes. All bases covered. I don't see how anyone could take issue with this.

If someone is flustered by a three-way toggle in the options menu, most games would be too complex for them anyway.

Aceun

Period.

Perfection.

Makes it clean and easy to understand.

Period.

That would be fantastic.

farisr

Why the fuck didn't they tell us this during the conference?
They did say it in general that stuff like this can and will happen, but did it in a roundabout way, I think mainly due to it not being a set requirement and up to the devs.

-Some devs may just have a 4k mode in their games, which just downscales to 1080p, maybe giving better clarity or something but may not look all that different from other standard ps4 games at 1080p.

-While others may not target 4k at all, and have just a 1080p mode.

-and then there's devs like this which will have different modes on offer based on the resolution that the console is set to.

Period.

Nah. 1080p Ultra-ish, 1080p normal settings with unlocked framerate and 4k normal settings @30 fps.

RoKKeR

Interesting, I would be fine with games doing this so long as they package all of the different options clearly.

Can developers choose to not do anything ? Like will we see improvements on Persona 5?

It has to be full 1080p and the frame rate cannot be lower than it is on regular PS4.

I wouldnt expect Persona 5 to have a huge difference in its neo mode, it's a game focused on its art style, not on technical prowess. ( i mean that as a compliment).

eFKac

Hah I was exactly the same. I would be more in the settings menu trying to find the perfect playable settings with maximum eyecandy then actually playing the damn game. I would drive myself nuts with changing the settings.

But having said that I'm fine with having these options with the PRO. If they would just have 1 option which would be the higher resolution version it would be useless for all the 1080p owners.

My OCD is going crazy when I sometimes have a game on PC, I'm never happy with the settings, and I never had enough cash to have an up to date PC that could just max everything out.

Might work for this game but what about 60fps standard games like most FPS?

Rock solid 60fps, games like Battlefield or COD would appreciate that. Though I might think the CPU will still act as an anchor on some games like BF with 64 players.

RK128

Period.

Honestly, this sums up how I want PS4 Pro to deal with the power boost. Well said and I hope every developer considers this for future titles on PS4.

Melchiah

Period.

Nah, you're missing one option; 1080/30fps with all the bells and whistles on Pro. I prefer better graphics over 60fps.

Top Bottom