• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 2 |OT| Set sail for awesome!

Labadal

How has this game held up since release? Did they keep up good patch support to clean up some of the rough edges? I'm playing Gothic 3 solely to explore the colorful world, even though it clearly isn't as good as the more drab looking Gothic 2. And I can't help but think that a similarly exploration-focused game with pirates would be even better.

Very late response, but they did add dodging to the PC version. Made combat a little better. The exploration is not as good as the first Risen.

Clydefrog

Very late response, but they did add dodging to the PC version. Made combat a little better. The exploration is not as good as the first Risen.

^^ +1. They patched it up pretty well within the first few months of release. It's a solid game along the likes of older Gothics (but don't get your hopes up too much)

How has this game held up since release? Did they keep up good patch support to clean up some of the rough edges? I'm playing Gothic 3 solely to explore the colorful world, even though it clearly isn't as good as the more drab looking Gothic 2. And I can't help but think that a similarly exploration-focused game with pirates would be even better.

Patches won't fix the issues with Risen 2, the game was actually surprisingly bug free at release. The issues are all design related.

Here's my pre-patch review.

Just finished this.

I enjoyed the game but overall it's worse than Risen 1. So many of the things I enjoyed about the first game has either been dumbed down or removed altogether.
The combat is bad and doesn't really get better further into the game, it just gets easier. The controls are also less responsive which makes the combat even worse. I actually liked the combat in the first game and it's a shame that they completely changed it. Enemies are also easier in general and there's a lot less enemies that will kick your ass.
The quests also feel like a step back compared to the first game and if there are multiple ways to complete a quest they just tell you your options upfront instead of letting you figure it out yourself.
One of my biggest disappointments about the game is the fact that they removed your ability to climb anywhere and the levitation spell, which makes the exploration far less interesting than in the first game.
All the interesting locations are tied to some quests and there's fewer interesting locations off the beaten path. On the plus side there's a lot more towns and NPCs which is great, even if none of the towns are as big as harbour town from the first game.

Despite all its faults I still enjoyed the game and had a lot of fun with it. The world design is still good even if it's not as good as in the first game. The graphics are really good aside from the horrible pop-in, short draw distance and annoying texture flickering. The pirate setting and art style was a definite improvement over the first game and there are more towns and NPCs than in the first game.

I think you'll enjoy it if you're mainly in it for the exploration.

Sentenza

With The Witcher 3 sounding more and more like a (good?) Piranha Bytes gamewith any info update, I was just wondering what the actual Piranha Bytes are working on, these days.

With The Witcher 3 sounding more and more like a (good?) Piranha Bytes gamewith any info update, I was just wondering what the actual Piranha Bytes are working on, these days.

Hopefully making Gothic 4 since they acquired the IP rights in 2011.

I wouldn't mind them doing a kickstarter game either. Having Piranha Bytes, Obsidian and Larian all be financially independent would be great.

Hopefully making Gothic 4 since they acquired the IP rights in 2011.

I wouldn't mind them doing a kickstarter game either. Having Piranha Bytes, Obsidian and Larian all be financially independent would be great.

You mean to imply that the released Gothic 4 out now would be erased from memory with a proper PB version?

The-Bean

I finally got this thanks to the Humble Bundle. Jesus christ, it stutters all over the place on my machine.

Any important mods/fixes out there? I'm going to dive right into this after I finish SMT4.

I've locked the game at 30FPS. Not ideal, but it doesn't look that great with lower settings / without mods.

Get the ModStarter. Basically a mod manager where you can choose to download and install mods directly within. I'm using the Unofficial Patch, LoD Distance Mod and AntiWarp Ultra (the latter two are essential unless you want your game to look like ass).

Top Bottom