• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 2 |OT| Set sail for awesome!

Xander51

and you CAN loot corpses. Just go to a corpse and push the button.

I switched to the gamepad.

The earlier complaint was talking about not being able to loot unconscious characters, not corpses. I really miss this feature also. It was a cool additional way to solve quests in their previous games.

MrCow

if some of you people have the same problem with pop ins and shadow flickering that i had..

you can easily adjust most of the settings in the configdefault.ini (i can upload my .ini with adjusted high and ultra settings)
that fixed most of the disturbing little errors for me and others

i also read in the german risen2 forums that the Nvidia beta 301.24 patch will fix some graphic issues but i have yet to to test it for myself

Kritz

Banned
yeah, I understand this but a lot of people lack your love for this kind of games and consider them just euro-janky. What I find strange is that all other WRPGs are equally janky but they don't get this rep. A power of marketing, I guess.

Oddly enough the game kinda reminds me of Morrowind. Combat is a game of numbers and inventory, not necessarily one of skill. Yet, people freakin' love Morrowind.

Like, I can't actually recommend people buy this game. Not until it's like, ten bucks during a sale. But if you're the kind of person to forgive a game for having EuroJank, I dunno. It's probably a bunch of fun.

---

So, I went into a cave and a giant spider spawned out of the ground. It killed me in five quick hits. So, I quickloaded, ran to where the spider spawned, whacked it over its arse while it did its spawn animation, and then ran for it. Evidentially, this giant spider couldn't actually pathfind its way out of where it spawned. It could move maybe half a metre towards you, and it'd just stop. I then ran past it, had my AI partner attack it from behind, but now the thing was chasing me through the cave.

Funnily enough, the damn thing got stuck a metre from its original spawn on the opposite path of the cave.

I don't know if they never expected anyone to run away from this thing, as it was only able to move within a three metre radius of where it propped up. Or if it's just another odd bug the game shipped with.

I do appreciate how inaccurate firearms are. Not that you get to aim them, mind you. You just hit the E key and your guy just fires blindly in front of him, and then it dicerolls to see if it hits anything. So even at point blank range against a giant spider twice the size of me, I somehow manage to miss.

A few minutes later I manage to snipe a rat on the other end of a darkened room. Funny, that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
if some of you people have the same problem with pop ins and shadow flickering that i had..

you can easily adjust most of the settings in the configdefault.ini (i can upload my .ini with adjusted high and ultra settings)
that fixed most of the disturbing little errors for me and others

i also read in the german risen2 forums that the Nvidia beta 301.24 patch will fix some graphic issues but i have yet to to test it for myself

can you upload it?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I like the new focus on the pirate setting (they even explain in some pretty convincing way why magic is gone, where fireweapons come from, etc) and there are some clever ideas in the game, but pretty much everything they changed from the first feels like a step back, to me (once again, I'm talking for what I saw in the beta).
They even removed the possibility to climb everywhere, and now you can climb just where there are specific "interactive hotspots"

So, dumbing down sequel, streamlined RPG and combat system, going from medieval setting to pirates..

This look like it's Fable 2/3 all over again. :/

Sentenza

I wonder if you are going on for many other posts talking as if the only "quality" of this game was being "funny eurojunk" (whatever the hell that means) with "hilarious glitches" that make you laugh a lot.
Even that video you made barely proves any point (beside proving how clicking very fast in videogames where you are not supposed to gives shitty outcomes during dialogues).

I realize that the game has its rough spots, but talk about being totally unfair about it....

Kevtones

Risen is total jank so coming with all this kitsch is sort of... Yeah.

Risen is great though (360 player here). Disappointed in the faction-less-ness this time but I'm digging the Arcania smaller areas approach. I'm probably one of 8 people that enjoyed Gothic 4 so I'm still incredibly pumped for this game. I was really LTTP on the game too so the first one (including the followed up DLC quest) is pretty fresh.

Also excited for the slurred pirate dialogue.

Durante

I don't really get the amount of negativity in this thread, especially by the people who haven't played the game. I haven't done so yet either, but reading German reviews makes it sound very different from what you read elsewhere (eg. the exploration is said to be completely intact once you get further into the game).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't really get the amount of negativity in this thread, especially by the people who haven't played the game. I haven't done so yet either, but reading German reviews makes it sound very different from what you read elsewhere (eg. the exploration is said to be completely intact once you get further into the game).

adventure (point and click) games get +10-20% to score in Germany comparing to other countries.

I WONDER WHY

Munin

I'd argue that many German mags have a sympathy bias towards Piranha Bytes for being a long-standing independent German developer (reason A) of typically German/European old-school style RPGs (reason B)

Durante

I'd argue that many German mags have a sympathy bias towards Piranha Bytes for being a long-standing independent German developer (reason A) of typically German/European old-school style RPGs (reason B)
I don't know if I can accept reason A. If you think back to the release of games such as The Witcher 1 or Divinity II (neither of which was created by a German developer), then they showed a similar pattern, with generally higher review scores in the German media.

I guess I just trust German publications more when it comes to reviewing WRPGs. (Another factoid: Dragon Age 2 generally scored lower than the global average in German media)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Yeah, I saw a review say something along those lines and it was all I needed to hear. I just want to finish Risen 1 first.

Hamplin

Banned
I don't know if I can accept reason A. If you think back to the release of games such as The Witcher 1 or Divinity II (neither of which was created by a German developer), then they showed a similar pattern, with generally higher review scores in the German media.

I guess I just trust German publications more when it comes to reviewing WRPGs. (Another factoid: Dragon Age 2 generally scored lower than the global average in German media)

Yes, Germans know their WRPG's. I don't trust American reviewers in the slightest in that area.

pilonv1

Played about 2 hours now and I can't see where the complaints are coming from. It's not very different from Risen so far. I really think people are going in looking for things that are wrong instead of things that are awesome.

Still getting 100% GPU usage all the time with nothing above maybe 40% on one core of my CPU. Just like Skyrim at launch.

Played about 2 hours now and I can't see where the complaints are coming from. It's not very different from Risen so far. I really think people are going in looking for things that are wrong instead of things that are awesome.

Still getting 100% GPU usage all the time with nothing above maybe 40% on one core of my CPU. Just like Skyrim at launch.
Good to hear, thanks. Can't wait for the console release, it's so far away though. =/

Labadal

I've played for 6 hours and have been enjoying the game. Combat starts out boring, but gets more fun as you get new skills. Exploration is the strong point of the game. They might have chopped up the world in smaller islands, but it doesn't ruin the fun for me. I went in with the expectation that this would be much worse than Risen, based on comments about different things like no factions. It is a shame stuff like that are not in this game, but it is still enjoyable.

Hambone

I have 5 hours under my belt, and I'm absolutely enjoying the game. I don't mind the simplistic combat, as I tend to get way more enjoyment out of exploration than some deep combat mechanic.

The Xbox360 controller works beautifully, and displays the correct on-screen buttons for those interested. When you first launch the game, the controller has to be enabled in the options menu.

Ceebs

this game would be great if the combat was improved. it's so clunky and awkward

Yeah, the combat is terrible. Everything encounter seems like a shot in the dark. I just end up clicking a bunch hoping I win. It would be so much better with just the backstep dodge from the first one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Six hours in now and enjoying it quite a bit more. The combat is still shit, but I'm having fun exploring the second island. I think I'll finally get to learn some voodoo soon.

Xander51

Can't seem to override the AA in CCC, and the game is pretty jaggy. I'll deal with it.

I think the game uses FXAA due to its deferred lighting model, so forcing regular AA is going to be tricky/impossible.

I had to give in and turn this down to easy because I suck at it. Still having a good time though.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The game starts on my wrong monitor but I can't find any obvious video options, any ideas?

Had the same issue. Only fix I found is go to screen resolution turn off extended display and select who desktop 1 only, start the game, then alt tab out once you hit the menu and go turn back on extended view. Should start on proper screen the next time you load up the game.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
w00t. Putting alot of my points into cunning has paid of big time. I got a crap ton of treasure I havent sold yet.

Saber combat by itself is lame, but once you get a pistol and start to invest into them combat becomes a whole lot better. The only thing missing from the first risen was evade skills. They should have left that in.

Other than that I am having a great time with this game. Love the exploration.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Blows my mind we're still on gothic 3's shitty "who ever gains stunlock first, WINS" combat.

They finally moved away from that in Risen with the dodge mechanic.

Unfortunately they took a giant leap backwards with the bullshit combat in this game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Blows my mind we're still on gothic 3's shitty "who ever gains stunlock first, WINS" combat.

It's actually worse then that since you can't actually stunlock enemies. They don't respond to being hit at all and every attack they make has priority over yours.

It's truly astonishing how badly they fucked the combat up. Pirahna Bytes games always have weak combat but this is just a whole new level of fail.

i must have been the only guy that liked Gothic 1+2's combat, yes the controls were awkward at first (to put it mildly), but after a few hours you were stringing dodges, parries and combo's together like a pro.

-SD-

Banned
Pirahna Bytes games always have weak combat but this is just a whole new level of fail.
Gothic 1's combat is great. Far from button mashing. G2's isn't bad either.

Slowly starting to like Risen 2, although some good things Risen had have been dumbed down/removed. Still on the first island. Getting skilful with my trusty pistol.

NIN90

How do I set the mouse sensitivity that both axis have the same speed? Both axis have the same value in the ini (<Mouse SensitivityX="0.300000" SensitivityY="0.300000"> </Mouse>) so I don't know what's wrong here.

stuminus3

About 3 hours in, feels like it's got the same old PB DNA to me. Janky and awesome. I suspect the streamlining and linearity compared to even Risen may rear it's ugly head at any moment, though.

-SD-

Banned
I suspect the streamlining and linearity compared to even Risen may rear it's ugly head at any moment, though.
PB has said that while Risen funneled down towards the end, Risen 2 is the opposite. It starts really linear and opens up. Looking forward to seeing if that's the case. Hoping, too.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So which is better for this game,Controller or K&M?

The Witcher 2 for an example was superior game with K&M, you become way faster and can mix you melee and magic attacks in a way the controller just can't do it, controller just make it way worse (and I am a controller person by the way so I am not biased).

Labadal

So which is better for this game,Controller or K&M?

The Witcher 2 for an example was superior game with K&M, you become way faster and can mix you melee and magic attacks in a way the controller just can't do it, controller just make it way worse (and I am a controller person by the way so I am not biased).

I've only used KB&M and it has worked very well for me, and I usually try to play with a controller if the game is actiony.

Pyrrhus

"I don't have gold enough" is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

And why is this? It's a perfectly grammatical sentence. It's a chiefly British way of speaking, but that follows since the game was localized by a team including Rhianna Pratchett. Everybody trying to hold up the game as some sort of quasi-translated piece of Euro kitsch is barking up the wrong tree. This, like Risen 1 before it, is a quality British script and dub using professional actors.

I am absolutely certain.

^ Boring video of this game's wonderful jank.
I mean, Christ, that video. "I can't do anything," was a response from non-important NPCs when you tried to talk to them. Presumably it was written in response to a generic question your character would ask, like "Can you help me?" It's a brush off. Like saying, "Fuck off, don't talk to me." And the character was saying it over and over again because the player was rapidly hammering the A button to try to talk to the NPC. I guess anything will be "funny" if you exploit the fact that it's a computer program and play inappropriate music over the top of it, though.

The game isn't perfect by any means. There are plenty of legitimate targets in the game's make up. The combat isn't very good in the beginning, the time of day shadows (cast by the sun) don't move smoothly like they should, and most distracting, the object pop-in and level of detail shifting are both way too noticeable. But acting like the game is janky because you took a nearly dead character and had them jump off the top of a fort at the top of a hill and it resulted in the character dying? Jank would have been not taking any damage after all that.

I'm not saying you have to think the game is good, but show a little respect to the developers by not spreading ridiculous misinformation "for the lulz."

If anybody's still reading, I've put in about six hours now. I think the game is very definitely of the same quality of Risen and the earlier Gothic games. The combat is weak at the moment, but then, so is my character. There are a ton of talking and exploration quests with good rewards that they clearly intend you to build yourself up on, so start with those. Don't try to run into the jungle and fight jaguars wearing nothing but a pair of pants and a filthy shirt you found in the slave house.

I'm convinced the most negative reviews are from people who just don't get this kind of game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And why is this? It's a perfectly grammatical sentence. It's a chiefly British way of speaking, but that follows since the game was localized by a team including Rhianna Pratchett. Everybody trying to hold up the game as some sort of quasi-translated piece of Euro kitsch is barking up the wrong tree. This, like Risen 1 before it, is a quality British script and dub using professional actors.

I mean, Christ, that video. "I can't do anything," was a response from non-important NPCs when you tried to talk to them. Presumably it was written in response to a generic question your character would ask, like "Can you help me?" It's a brush off. Like saying, "Fuck off, don't talk to me." And the character was saying it over and over again because the player was rapidly hammering the A button to try to talk to the NPC. I guess anything will be "funny" if you exploit the fact that it's a computer program and play inappropriate music over the top of it, though.

The game isn't perfect by any means. There are plenty of legitimate targets in the game's make up. The combat isn't very good in the beginning, the time of day shadows (cast by the sun) don't move smoothly like they should, and most distracting, the object pop-in and level of detail shifting are both way too noticeable. But acting like the game is janky because you took a nearly dead character and had them jump off the top of a fort at the top of a hill and it resulted in the character dying? Jank would have been not taking any damage after all that.

I'm not saying you have to think the game is good, but show a little respect to the developers by not spreading ridiculous misinformation "for the lulz."

If anybody's still reading, I've put in about six hours now. I think the game is very definitely of the same quality of Risen and the earlier Gothic games. The combat is weak at the moment, but then, so is my character. There are a ton of talking and exploration quests with good rewards that they clearly intend you to build yourself up on, so start with those. Don't try to run into the jungle and fight jaguars wearing nothing but a pair of pants and a filthy shirt you found in the slave house.

I'm convinced the most negative reviews are from people who just don't get this kind of game.

I remember reading that, with the first Risen, they didn't translate it, but instead wrote the script from the ground up in English with Rhianna Pratchett's help. They wanted to make sure the game worked well in English, and I think it had an excellent script and voice acting performance. Risen 2 seems about on par, but I'm not far enough into it to fully judge it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Re Witcher 2: 360 controller support on PC is pretty jank. Changes on the Xbox port are really great though.

I'd like to hear more thoughts on Risen 2 with a controller myself though. I've been playing Risen 1 lately using Pinnacle profiler for 360 controller support and have been really enjoying it(despite some slight hitches).

Nicely put, I've been watching videos/streams and honestly the dialogue/voice acting is really great, really British which is what I assume they were going for.

Top Bottom