• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roadhog get #$^*@% ! What's your favorite nerf?

Disclaimer: Nothing but love to the Roadhog mains out there.

Alright not NOTHING but love but don't get fucked.

So if you play Overwatch this has probably happened to you once or 5 million times.

https://gfycat.com/HonorableMildBabirusa

Basically, Roadhog's hook is an absolute menace. He can hook you from ridiculous ranges and instantly 1 shot most heroes in the game. That's bad but hooking people through various walls, other players, Roadhog himself...that's what makes it really really bad.

http://plays.tv/s/L5pkGWdsrZKT

Today Geoff Goodman on the Overwatch forums let everyone know they are nerfing (fixing) his hook and making it work like it should.

My day has been made.

Anyway, it made me think it's amazing how something being weakened in a game could make me that happy. So it got me thinking...What's your favorite nerf? I know that with any nerf you're going to be happy about something someone else loves so try to be gentle.

To rend one's enemies is to see them not as equals, but objects—hollow of spirit and meaning.

Permanently A

Actually they're buffing him.

"Firstly, the hook victim will now move in to the position directly in front of Roadhog, rather than just a straight line towards him."

Thanks Blizzard! No more Ana, Lucio and Genji ending up behind me or on top of me somehow.

how about they nerf reinhardts shield

and dva

roadhogs greatest weakness is that he has no active mitigation like the other tanks, except for his heal, but that's not really good compared to the shield and matrix

hydruxo

and dva

roadhogs greatest weakness is that he has no active mitigation like the other tanks, except for his heal, but that's not really good compared to the shield and matrix

Rein's shield? Why though? It's already pretty easy to take down with focused fire.

Permanently A

The day when Zarya and her dumb bubble shield gets needed is the day I find my favorite

Already got nerfed since she gets less energy from them.

and dva

Reinhardt is probably one of the most balanced heroes in the game.

I'll give you D. Va though

I dont have a favourite nerf cause id most likely be using that character or gun etc :/

RIP Pre-Nerf Triple Jump 8Second Dragonblade Genji
🙏🙏🙏

Inversive

It's a buff to Hog players so lucios and genjis don't get hooked behind you. Poor OP still gonna get hooked and insta gibbed

j0hnnix

re-read it.. im gonna love the new hook!

y6wJ7.gif

What's wrong with dva? /:

she's extremely strong

she's highly mobile squishy killer
she can negate whole ultimates with her defense
she has a powerful nuke
she has 2 life bars

like, reinhardt isn't that big a deal, he's melee, but it's the dva/reinhardt comps that are really dumb.

might be also a healing issue

nerf everyone

blakep267

What's wrong with dva? /:
Since they changed her shield thing from a cool down to being able to spam it, you can only attack her when she attacks. If she doesn't attack then it's a stand off

Already got nerfed since she gets less energy from them.

Reinhardt is probably one of the most balanced heroes in the game.

I'll give you D. Va though
Not the energy that she gets from it but it's length. It's active for far too long

The TF2 Gunmetal update. The nerf to minisentry was the best.

Gunslinger / Minisentry
Mini Sentries can now be repaired
Mini Sentries can now be wrench construction boosted
Mini Sentry base build speed decreased. Mini Sentries that are wrench boosted build slightly faster than previously.
Mini Sentries start at 50% health on construction and gain health during construction instead of starting at 100%
Metal gibs from destroyed Mini Sentries no longer grant any metal

I was so happy that day

Actually they're buffing him.

"Firstly, the hook victim will now move in to the position directly in front of Roadhog, rather than just a straight line towards him."

Thanks Blizzard! No more Ana, Lucio and Genji ending up behind me or on top of me somehow.
I swear 1 in 3 hooks makes me pull someone over my head and then they kill me.

Since they changed her shield thing from a cool down to being able to spam it, you can only attack her when she attacks. If she doesn't attack then it's a stand off

Not the energy that she gets from it but it's length. It's active for far too long

that's not too bad, she only has 10 seconds worth with a slowish charge up, shes a mecha reinhardt for the most part.

JordanKZ

D.va is perfect.

Please don't nerf her, she's literally the only character I can play ranked and do very well.

Euron

and dva

NO YOU STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM REINHARDT BLIZZARD

If he's on your team that immediately says "we actually give a shit about the objective" and tends to bring everyone together. Easily the best fucking hero.

Agreed about DVA though, her super seems to kill me even at long distances.

Alex

I swear 1 in 3 hooks makes me pull someone over my head and then they kill me.

Haha, yeah, this patch will basically make Roadhog play like he should and we'll see what he needs or doesn't need going forward.

Playing Roadhog: This fuckin' hook never works right, they all go behind me.

Playing against Roadhog: That fuckin' hook never works right, went through two walls to get me.

Though I don't like the inadvertent buff of sorts it gives to D.va or Tracer/Genji, especially when an Ana nerf is all but guaranteed, thus shutting down the tank meta.

Also, still waiting for Blizzard to finally approach some solution for the ill state Mercy is in. The end of Anawatch is still not going to fix Mercy.

There will always be a tank meta because soaking up damage is always going to be incredibly valuable.

I was always fond of WoW nerfs where a spec would go from best in the game to not even viable anymore.
unless it was my class

How about instead of complaining about a character being op, you either git gud or start playing as that "op" character.

I'm only half joking

Permanently A

Haha, yeah, this patch will basically make Roadhog play like he should and we'll see what he needs or doesn't need going forward.

Though I don't like the inadvertent buff of sorts it gives to D.va or Tracer/Genji, especially when an Ana nerf is all but guaranteed, thus shutting down the tank meta.

as long as D. Va outdamages Soldier:76 its tank meta all day erry day

and dva

Rein is one of the most perfectly balanced heroes in the game.

Alex

I'm sorry what?

Reinhardt is a literal requirement in every situation. His shield is outright necessary and Earthshatter is incredible for the charge time.

That said, I still don't think he himself is the issue so much as the tank spread being too wonky right now.

Reinhardt is a literal requirement in every situation. His shield is outright necessary and Earthshatter is incredible for the charge time.

That said, I still don't think he himself is the issue so much as the tank spread being too wonky right now.

My worry is blizzard will make DPS characters have more DPS to balance the tank meta but that's the wrong way to go about it, soldier is already borderline OP with 20 damage bullets on players who aim like a pro, mccree shreads too.

Maximo

Thank fucking god its a nightmare to play lucio against roadhogs who drag you through building or similar to the gif you posted.

and dva

They should never nerf Reins shield. I'm okay with him being the best tank forever because it Fosters gameplay around the objective.

BiggNife

Thank fucking god they nerfed Yun in Street Fighter 4 2012.

Arcade Edition almost single handedly destroyed the SF4 competitive scene because of how comically overpowered Yun was. Even fucking Daigo played Yun.

I was happy when they nerfed McCree's fan the hammer post launch. Shit was DUMB at first with him melting everyone with ease. Glad they toned down Mercy's ult gain too since it was a factor in every single fight that took place and was just frustrating to play against.

Thank fucking god its a nightmare to play lucio against roadhogs who drag you through building or similar to the gif you posted.
At least Lucio is one of the few heroes under 250hp that can consistently survive the Hog combo because of his healing + speed.

Rein's shield? Why though? It's already pretty easy to take down with focused fire.

With all the complaints about the other tanks being too good he is the best tank by a country mile and the entire game revolves around him on most maps. There is almost no situation where you don't want him over any other tank.

He's a huge problem and something needs to be done.

Thank fucking god they nerfed Yun in Street Fighter 4 2012.

Arcade Edition almost single handedly destroyed the SF4 competitive scene because of how comically overpowered Yun was. Even fucking Daigo played Yun.

those were the days, took them way too long to fix it too it even stopped me playing online.

KarmaCow

Rein is one of the most perfectly balanced heroes in the game.

Rein's shield is almost required for most situations so I wouldn't really say he's balanced. The answer shouldn't be to nerf his shield, but I'm not sure how they could make other tanks more of a viable alternative without making them ridiculous.

kewlmyc

As a Roadhog main, I'm actually happy for this. Makes the character more fair. Also, I won't say it's a complete nerf. Now enemies will actually land in front of him when he uses his hook. None of that "3 yards away" bullshit when you hook an Ana or "I was behind you the whole time" nonsense when you sometimes pull people in the air.

Rozart

Her DM was practically useless before they made it that way though. Now, she can actually stop incoming attacks when needed.

Toxi

Banned
Not a video game, but the Jumpmaster 5000+Deadeye nerf in X-Wing Miniatures.

The Jumpmaster 5000 was some obscure ugly EU ship that belonged to the lamest of the Empire Strikes Back bounty hunters, Dengar. Somehow it ended up being the best ship in the game.

For a few months, most Rebel ships were virtually unplayable because you could stuff three Jumpmasters full of missiles and nuke any Rebel ace the very first turn of combat. Then they abused their ridiculous bulk, obscenely good movement, and primary weapon turrets to fly circles around low skill generics. It was so bad I was barely playing the game because it just wasn't fun to fight against these.

Mei can still get fast ults but before winter she could have one like every minute of a payload match, and just focus the key areas with it easily.

Acerac

Banned
With all the complaints about the other tanks being too good he is the best tank by a country mile and the entire game revolves around him on most maps. There is almost no situation where you don't want him over any other tank.

He's a huge problem and something needs to be done.
He's the one most focused on being a tank, nobody is built to protect a team like he is. Nerfs and buffs won't change this.

Im not sure how you're gonna stop Reinhardt from being the default tank without changing his kit or buffing the other tanks alot.

If doomfist is a tank mayb he can be a good alternative to run

Top Bottom