• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roadhog get #$^*@% ! What's your favorite nerf?

(non-Overwatch comment incoming)

There was this lovely period in time, it was December 2013 I remember it well (I think), when the Engineer in TF2 got one of his weapons buffed. The short circuit went from being useless to being able to dissipate everything it came in contact with on the spot. Not just enemy players, but also projectiles like bombs and rockets. God did that ruin the game for a good week. I mean, I usually played Engineer so I was secretly enjoying it, but that nerf was necessary as fuck. In fact it probably took longer than a week to fix it since I remember so much saltiness during that time.

alright, to get the thread back on track, how about smash 4?

My first reaction to the big bayonetta nerf was that they really, really overdid it, but at this point it seems like she's still a really good character. Absurd and stylish combos are still possible, witch time is still useful enough to command respect, and she can still hang with any other character assuming equal player skill, but the most insane elevator combos are no longer giving out free rides to outer space and witch time can't really be spammed.

Then on the Melee side, The PAL nerfs to Fox's upsmash and up-b are probably the only things I'd keep from that version over NTSC if i became dictator of melee hd. sweet sweet revenge.

BiggNife

Mercy already got a buff.

They need to nerf Ana grenades honestly, they are the most powerful ability in the game, and a large factor in why 3 tank meta is so vogue right now.
Ana grenades are definitely going to get nerfed in the next balance patch.

And yeah, Mercy is fine right now. I'd even say she's the most balanced of the supports.

PMS341

Mei needs a nerf more than any hero. No character should be able to freeze you in place, have enough time to sit/teabag/etc. and then pull off a point-blank headshot for a kill. Sort of wish the freeze time was akin to McCree's Flashbang (0.7 seconds stun as opposed to Mei's 1.5 seconds). Maybe exactly 1?

This is on top of her 4-second healing/damage immunity skill, as well as being able to virtually snipe with her right click, leaving Mei a bit too well-rounded imo.

d.va is fine, a good zarya will shit all over her while having a better ult. Its one of the reasons why you dont see a whole lot of d.vas at the very top of competitive play. Shes everywhere else though.
???????¿¿¿¿¿¿¿???????
The three most recent meta reports
1lMZeDAXlkf.jpg

1lSZQlEZ7NT.jpg

1lUXodrTsr7.jpg

Shes used just as much as Zarya if not more since her buffs.

The winter premier thats going on now has Dva with a higher usage than Zarya so far

in order to get us out of this tank blizzard needs to rework Zenyatta's orb to be 50% damage buffed while still being more balanced than before and nerf the healing buff on Ana's bio-grenade

Alot of people have said to try out discord orbs dmg % scale with the enemies hp so its not incredibly destructive on squishys but i think Zen is in a good place right now

Odrion

Banned
mercy keeps getting buffs and still shit because Ana can do her job while also having a wider toolkit than she does

which is fine because mercy is boring as shit to play as and against, leave her for the trash tier
Alot of people have said to try out discord orbs dmg % scale with the enemies hp so its not incredibly destructive on squishys but i think Zen is in a good place right now
I mean, Zenyatta's Orb effectively slashes the target's HP in half, so it's effectiveness IS based on the enemy's HP. But it could be on a curve.

Fancolors

Thinking of nerfs from games that are not Overwatch, my favorite is probably LoL's Twisted Fate.

Dude essentially had three ults. He could pretty much dominate the game once hitting level 5 thanks to his free TP.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The diddy kong nerf felt kinda good low key, only because it killed the people who relied on saying smash 4 was trash cause you only needed upthrow+upair to be good

LordKasual

Banned
Lucio and Reinhardt are pretty much in 100% of ranked matches. At least, on 100% of the ranked teams who actually win.

D.VA is starting to become just as common as Reinhardt, IMO. And with good reason.

RedShift

alright, to get the thread back on track, how about smash 4?

My first reaction to the big bayonetta nerf was that they really, really overdid it, but at this point it seems like she's still a really good character. Absurd and stylish combos are still possible, witch time is still useful enough to command respect, and she can still hang with any other character assuming equal player skill, but the most insane elevator combos are no longer giving out free rides to outer space and witch time can't really be spammed.

Then on the Melee side, The PAL nerfs to Fox's upsmash and up-b are probably the only things I'd keep from that version over NTSC if i became dictator of melee hd. sweet sweet revenge.

I think they handled nerfs well with Smash 4. Diddy, Sheik, ZSS and Bayonetta are all still high-top teir despite being nerfed from their true OP phases, and there are loads of other characters that are viable at the top level as well.

Odrion

Banned
buff lucio's healing back to normal because it does nothing for the high tier players who rely on the speed boost and only hurts lower skilled players whom relied on him because of his support style

BiggNife

mercy keeps getting buffs and still shit because Ana can do her job while also having a wider toolkit than she does

which is fine because mercy is boring as shit to play as and against, leave her for the silver and gold tier players
"This character should be bad because I don't like her" is a shitty way of looking at balance.

Ana has a wider toolkit but she's also a lot harder to use well. And the power of Mercy's ult can't really be overstated.

The diddy kong nerf felt kinda good low key, only because it killed the people who relied on saying smash 4 was trash cause you only needed outgrow+up air to be good

i always love seeing what autocorrect does to nonsensical smash terms.

but yeah I thought about mentioning this one too. It seems like it'd have been pretty schadenfreude-filled. I hadn't personally started going to tournaments or obsessively watching them yet, so I personally didn't have any pent-up spite on that one.

It was also paired with good changes like upsmash hits linking better, right? a nice attempt at balance always looks better than a spiteful nerf bat.

zeorhymer

They need to fix the geometry in some of the maps. It's rather annoying to have a Mei outside of a map where no one can touch her.

LordKasual

Banned
I think they handled nerfs well with Smash 4. Diddy, Sheik, ZSS and Bayonetta are all still high-top teir despite being nerfed from their true OP phases, and there are loads of other characters that are viable at the top level as well.

The top 5 characters in Smash 4 still shit over the others so hard its crazy. And the funny part is that Diddy is still one of them.

Mario is still busted, Shiek is still busted, Cloud is pretty busted too.

Bayonetta and Corrin released at such ridiculous levels of broken that it's funny even by Smash standards.

My issue with Smash 4 though is that they've made no attempt to strengthen the characters who are really struggling. What they did to Samus / Zelda is just pathetic.

buff lucio's healing back to normal because it does nothing for the high tier players who rely on the speed boost and only hurts lower skilled players whom relied on him because of his support style

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Odrion

Banned
"This character should be bad because I don't like her" is a shitty way of looking at balance.

Ana has a wider toolkit but she's also a lot harder to use well. And the power of Mercy's ult can't really be overstated.

heroes having different skillcaps is designed into the game itself

and rewarding player's skill with their impact in the game via more useful but more difficult heroes is good game design imo

ana should be better than mercy in the hands of skilled players. leave mercy with bastion in the trash tier
The top 5 characters in Smash 4 still shit over the others so hard its crazy. And the funny part is that Diddy is still one of them.

Bayonetta and Corrin released at such ridiculous levels of broken that it's funny even by Smash standards.

My issue with Smash 4 though is that they've made no attempt to strengthen the characters who are really struggling. What they did to Samus / Zelda is just pathetic.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
they nerfed his healing, you didn't know this?

Mupod

A well thrown hook could pull someone from another server!

You joke, but one time I hooked someone at the instant they ragequit the game. The hook stayed attached to their character and extended to infinite length off into the sky. Everyone in the game could see it, my character could do nothing but walk around slowly with the hook attached to god knows what. I was stuck like that until someone got bored of watching and killed me.

I actually like the thread idea of listing good nerfs in other games but starting off with a just-announced overwatch nerf kind of sealed this thread's fate.

Lol I read the OP and everything but within a few posts I legitimately forgot that this was not an Overwatch thread. That's why that post confused me a bit at first.

Domstercool

I'm just happy that they are fixing that awful annoyance when you hook someone and they fly off behind you or up above you. That was so bloody annoying.

Lulubop

Mei needs a nerf more than any hero. No character should be able to freeze you in place, have enough time to sit/teabag/etc. and then pull off a point-blank headshot for a kill. Sort of wish the freeze time was akin to McCree's Flashbang (0.7 seconds stun as opposed to Mei's 1.5 seconds). Maybe exactly 1?

This is on top of her 4-second healing/damage immunity skill, as well as being able to virtually snipe with her right click, leaving Mei a bit too well-rounded imo.

She's still really undserused in the meta

Maffis

I don't get how people can say they think Reinhardt is balanced.

Isn't it a glaring problem if a hero is in every match, in a roster of 23?

It's impossible to win without a Reinhardt. I play around Master rank and every single game has a Reinhardt. Yet people always say he's balanced and then complain about Ana and Soldier, even though Rein has been a meta-pick since day 1.

Odrion

Banned
and

he is still broken as hell
because of his speed boost, not his healing. so nerfing his healing isn't going to remove him from pro meta strats. what nerfing his healing DOES, however, is make him less useful in teams that don't play around his speed boost as effectively as highly skilled players do

woopWOOP

Not a nerf in a game update kind of sense, but Pokemon's Psychic type no longer being such a OP type from Gen2 onwards was a welcome change.

Braag

The amount of times I've hooked people from behind cover and got hooked from behind cover is pretty disgusting. I do still like the hero though.

RedShift

I don't really agree about Smash's top 5 dominating everyone else. I'm not sure I'd even agree that all those characters are top 5 ahead of Rosalina, Sonic and Fox. Shiek hasn't really got results since the nerf, and before Ally started dunking on Zero no one thought Mario was top 5.

LordKasual

Banned
because of his speed boost, not his healing

He has passive line of sight healing, you can keep people alive just by existing

He has passive line of sight speed boost, reach objectives faster than your enemy

He's aggravatingly mobile, he can hold objectives just by jumping around walls

He can push people off the ledge, just in case he wasn't an optimal enough pick already, now even moreso on stages with fall hazards

It's difficult to focus him because of his mobility, he diverts fire from the enemy team but he's one of the hardest heroes to hit in the game, and every second he's living he's healing his entire team

His ultimate is pretty much a panic button for ANY SITUATION that will win teamfights more often than not.

And worst of all, the asshole can literally fight you if you try to focus him down, and while doing everything else i just mentioned at the same time

He's broken. He just does way too many things, way too well.

I don't really agree about Smash's top 5 dominating everyone else. I'm not sure I'd even agree that all those characters are top 5 ahead of Rosalina, Sonic and Fox. Shiek hasn't really got results since the nerf, and before Ally started dunking on Zero no one thought Mario was top 5.

Mario has always been stupid in Smash 4, he's just getting more attention now because people aren't derping around with ZSS or Sheik's guaranteed kill combos anymore.

People have been 'Dthrow to 45%'ing with Mario for a really long time now

(non-Overwatch comment incoming)

There was this lovely period in time, it was December 2013 I remember it well (I think), when the Engineer in TF2 got one of his weapons buffed. The short circuit went from being useless to being able to dissipate everything it came in contact with on the spot. Not just enemy players, but also projectiles like bombs and rockets. God did that ruin the game for a good week. I mean, I usually played Engineer so I was secretly enjoying it, but that nerf was necessary as fuck. In fact it probably took longer than a week to fix it since I remember so much saltiness during that time.
I loved the Short Circuit when you could just spam the shit out of it. Good times.

My favorite nerfs where when the Beggars got its much needed nerf and when the Gunslinger got its heavenly nerfing. Two of the most criminally broken weapons in the game became more fun to fight against.

Worst nerf has to be to the Axtinguisher. RIP based Puff and Sting loadout.

Thank fucking god they nerfed Yun in Street Fighter 4 2012.

Arcade Edition almost single handedly destroyed the SF4 competitive scene because of how comically overpowered Yun was. Even fucking Daigo played Yun.
Too bad they couldn't also nerf him in 3S.

I generally support nerfs for top tier characters in fighting games, since I no longer try to play competitively and was never top level anyway, and I like to watch a variety of different characters being played well. The Nash and Mika nerfs in SFV sound promising because the Evo finals last year were kind of boring to watch. Like, finally, it's even on ESPN2, and then it's "Sonic, Sonic, Sonic, V-Trigger, target combo x Scythe xx Super" ad nauseum. Let's see some other characters, please.

Actually they're buffing him.

"Firstly, the hook victim will now move in to the position directly in front of Roadhog, rather than just a straight line towards him."

Thanks Blizzard! No more Ana, Lucio and Genji ending up behind me or on top of me somehow.

I'm honestly excited about this in spite of the other changes. Maybe now Ana won't be such a pest to get rid of.

Negaduck

I've said it since launch. I truly believe roadhog is the best hero in the game.

Hooks are always OP in games.

Can completely displace and ctrl alt del a hero. Grab mercy? No ult. No res.

It makes sense that they would nerf him (or at least fix in this instance). Roadhog best hero in the game imo.

maomaoIYP

Hahahaha complaining about how Mei requires no skill, but yet constantly dying against her never fails to entertain. Guess what, Roadhog is actually a Mei counter too.

SoulUnison

Banned
Roadhog is like a perfect storm of everything I hate in a character.

Awful design. Awful personality. Awful sounds and voice lines.
I hate the "lumbering fat dumb shirtless tank" archetype as well as the "pig" theme.
Awful playstyle.
I can't stand being helplessly grabbed (from behind cover/corners/other players, no less) and one-shotted when you play as anyone on the "squishier" half of the roster.
Also tends to, because of his high HP and massive self-healing, promote a "lone wolf" style of play where the Roadhog rarely ever seems to be helping the team or the objective, except by coincidence.

He's just "gross."

I remember the WoW days when my mage could be soloed by a Demo Lock's Felstalker, and there was literally nothing I could do about it.

Took em forever to nerf that garbage so mage could PVP at all.

When Battlefield Vietnam launched, soldiers on the American team could spawn with a giant machine gun with laser accuracy AND a rocket launcher. You could single-handedly mow down a gang of enemy infantry while running, and then whip out the launcher and level a tank. It was fucking bananas.

It was also easy to spawn camp in those old Battlefield games, so if you were on the Viet Cong side you would just get mercilessly slaughtered every round. Some of the worst multiplayer balance I have ever seen until it was patched, and it felt like some sort of awful revisionist history considering how that war actually played out.

Violet_0

Banned
Widowmaker out of the gate was a big problem. The quick scoping made her just a little too good.

I faced a widowmaker once that could score nearly guaranteed headshots on me and my team no matter what direction we attacked from, over several matches. Made me quit the game right there and then, mainly because I realized that there are lots of players that are willing to dedicate way more time to mastering the game then I do. Sniping in Overwatch is much more difficult compared to something like TF2, but when someone gets really good at it they are nigh unstoppable

HeatBoost

I faced a widowmaker once that could score nearly guaranteed headshots on me and my team no matter what direction we attacked from, over several matches. Made me quit the game right there and then, mainly because I realized that there are lots of players that are willing to dedicate way more time to mastering the game then I do. Sniping in Overwatch is much more difficult compared to something like TF2, but when someone gets really good at it they are nigh unstoppable

and here we see why the defense matrix needs to stay exactly how it works right now

maybe just narrow it's effective zone. Sometimes I'll delete shit out of the air that I didn't even intend to because it wasn't going to hit me. It's more effective than Reinhart's shield at times, which doesn't seem right~?

Top Bottom