• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

CmdBash

hey guys thinking of picking up this after my exams are over in a weeks time to start learning guitar, should I pick up the edition with the Epiphone Les Paul Jr. or go out to the music shop to get one of my own? It's $249 for the guitar edition and $75 without it. what do you guys recommend for a beginner?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Buy the game and choose your own guitar. Go to a music shop and look for something in your price range that you like the look of. The better looking the guitar, the more chances you'll want to pick it up all the time. If you end up enjoying playing and find you are progressing in your skills you can consider buying a higher priced guitar.

That's my opinion anyway.

988335_598700403520973_1688717636_n.jpg

Hallowed Be Thy Name plz

XShagrath

Is DLC weekly? If so, where are the announcements?
I've heard that the DLC is weekly now. But for whatever reason, the devs like to be super secret and cryptic about it. Even with the RS1 DLC, they'd post up a screenshot on facebook with a couple of non-descript notes during an instrumental break and have people try to guess what song it was.

Pretty stupid, if you ask me.

elfinke

I've heard that the DLC is weekly now. But for whatever reason, the devs like to be super secret and cryptic about it. Even with the RS1 DLC, they'd post up a screenshot on facebook with a couple of non-descript notes during an instrumental break and have people try to guess what song it was.

Pretty stupid, if you ask me.

I thought my google-fu was letting me down after seeing the Maiden poster above, when I couldn't find anything about it on the RS official site, lol.

Damn the Iron Maiden song in this game is one I already know how to play most of....A big maiden dlc pack would sell me this game pretty much instantly.

Varna

Oh well. I figure they might announce upcoming DLC since the Smashing Pumpkin stuff was well know before Tuesday.

Hopefully we get some Grateful Dead, Dire Straits or Steely Dan stuff eventually.

Session mode is fucken cool. Even as a complete amateur I can go in there and get a nice sounding riff going. I actually pulled something off a little while ago that actually gave me chills. That sounded actually good... wow!

vehn

So what if the notes they are teaching you are wrong? For cherub rock, I saw the chorus is just a bunch of regular chords, but in these tabs and this video, it shows the chorus as power chords.

Would hate to learn songs incorrectly. I mean do you really think they are playing a regular D chord during the chorus of a hard rock song

WoolyNinja

Damn the Iron Maiden song in this game is one I already know how to play most of....A big maiden dlc pack would sell me this game pretty much instantly.

I'll be honest, I didn't know the song The Trooper but its easily my favorite song on Rocksmith 2014 so far! So fun to play! Still learning the big solo towards the middle/end but the rest I've got down.

sladeums

So what if the notes they are teaching you are wrong? For cherub rock, I saw the chorus is just a bunch of regular chords, but in these tabs and this video, it shows the chorus as power chords.

Would hate to learn songs incorrectly. I mean do you really think they are playing a regular D chord during the chorus of a hard rock song

I wouldn't be surprised if it was probably a little of both ... Corgan playing open chords and Iha the corresponding power chords.

Have you played both arrangements ?
I don't know how the rhythm track plays ... maybe there are power chords there.
But the Lead sounds correct to me,.

Neither of the sources you mention would be remotely reliable barometers of how it was recorded or typically performed.

It's really not at all uncommon in any rock to use open chords.

Take a look at a live performance and it looks to me that Corgan is playing open chords throughout the chorus :

http://youtu.be/WNi7im2i-Y0

Varna

Uplay is definitely in this game, no way around it? That makes me really not want the game.

Other than that I'd love to play it.

I was in the same boat. But yeah, the improvements in 2014 are way to vast to ignore in favor of the original. If it makes you feel any better Uplay is just there... I don't even notice it after the first initial login.

I'll be honest, I didn't know the song The Trooper but its easily my favorite song on Rocksmith 2014 so far! So fun to play! Still learning the big solo towards the middle/end but the rest I've got down.

Try learning to play both parts of the trilled harmony at once. It's so much fun and not that much harder to do.

Game probably doesn't have an option for that though.

WAIT how does this game handle multiple guitar parts anyway?

Xyber

Try learning to play both parts of the trilled harmony at once. It's so much fun and not that much harder to do.

They have Lead and Rhythm for almost all songs, then for some songs you can go to bonus arrangements and play alternate lead for songs that maybe has 2 guitars going on in the solo or whatever for harmony parts. I've only tried that in Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold so don't know how many songs actually have it.

WoolyNinja

You get to choose Rhythm or Lead, I'd assume that does it though I've only done lead so I'm not 100% sure how they differ.

EDIT: beaten!

Man I cannot get palm mutes to register with this game. Everything is calibrated and volume is turned up on the guitar but each palm mute just falls on deaf ears, it's pretty frustrating.

Xyber

Man I cannot get palm mutes to register with this game. Everything is calibrated and volume is turned up on the guitar but each palm mute just falls on deaf ears, it's pretty frustrating.

Muting the strings too hard perhaps? And if you are playing on PC there is some bug(?) that is causing it to lower the volume on the USB cable to 17% in Windows and that might lead to it being hard for the game to pick up the notes. I've had no problems with palm mutes myself (and the tuner is so much better when you turn up the volume on the cable).

Also, I know what I'm spending some money on this week.
O8LnvDP.jpg

Muting the strings too hard perhaps? And if you are playing on PC there is some bug(?) that is causing it to lower the volume on the USB cable to 17% in Windows and that might lead to it being hard for the game to pick up the notes. I've had no problems with palm mutes myself (and the tuner is so much better when you turn up the volume on the cable).

Perhaps I might be muting too hard. I'll try using a lighter touch when I hop on tomorrow. I'm on the PS3 so it's likely not that bug (unless something similar exists).

R1CHO

Good dlc release this week.

My biggest problem with detection is with the highest string, is that common?

I have to pick it much harder than the other ones. Maybe is a problem with my guitar?

Of i increase the level on windows from the standard 17 it gets better, but then there is more noise.

Tapping is almost impossible due to this, also bending on that string.

DagsJT

I have to pick it much harder than the other ones. Maybe is a problem with my guitar?

Of i increase the level on windows from the standard 17 it gets better, but then there is more noise.

Nope, same issue here.

saunderez

Is the volume dial on your guitar maxed? I have some detection issues when I bump it down while playing but when it's max it's fine. You might want to try recalibration as well, you do that from the tuner.

Perhaps I might be muting too hard. I'll try using a lighter touch when I hop on tomorrow. I'm on the PS3 so it's likely not that bug (unless something similar exists).
You'll know when you get it right you want a nice percussive thud.

Xyber

I had the same problem until I bumped up the volume to 50 for the cable in Windows. Yes, there will be slightly more noise (nothing when I'm not touching the strings though), but I'd rather have that so I can play properly.

I'm getting so close to breaking 90% on this bastard.
VqxP767.jpg

saunderez

I'm getting so close to breaking 90% on this bastard.
VqxP767.jpg
Nice work, gonna be a while before I can get anything close to that. I'm still getting startled when master mode kicks in on a song and my mind goes completely blank like the playing field.

Xyber

Nice work, gonna be a while before I can get anything close to that. I'm still getting startled when master mode kicks in on a song and my mind goes completely blank like the playing field.

Thanks. And I have disabled master mode for now so I can learn the songs without worrying about notes fading away because I usually start every song at max level and if I hit some stuff right away it will start to fade the next time I play the song so that's a little too hard. :p

Sec0nd

I've been playing guitar on and off again for a couple of years now. I'd say I'm a decent guitar player but I'm no where near good. I really do like playing guitar but I've a problem with motivating myself to play and I just often don't even know what to play. Rocksmith seems really interesting to me as it might solve the problem of motivation for me. I was an avid Guitar Hero player back in the day so if it can scratch that same itch while actually playing the guitar would be great.

Input? Is the game interesting for people who can already play the guitar?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Not as impressive as the Desolate Motion above but I got 101.5% on White Wedding today, plus half the song appeared in Master Mode. So stoked considering I picked up a guitar for the first time 9 weeks ago.

Keep the edge of your hand close to the bridge so it's just touching the strings, that's what I did, can nail it now. Took me awhile to suss that as well.

sladeums

Yes, extremely.
For me at least.

So much so that I find it difficult to produce any enthusiasm for other games.
When I turn on my console this is the game I want to play.

You'll probably find it more interesting by cranking up the challenge on every track.
Otherwise it will probably feel too slow initially.

I find it particularly satisfying nailing a song I'm not at all familiar with .. or finding a song that I don't even really like to listen to is actually a blast to play.
There are plenty of "yeah! I kick ass!" moments that will keep you coming back.

I went from playing maybe a couple times a month to 5-10 times a week since the first game came out and I've kept it up pretty solid to date.
I've played for 30 years.

R1CHO

Nope, same issue here.

Is the volume dial on your guitar maxed? I have some detection issues when I bump it down while playing but when it's max it's fine. You might want to try recalibration as well, you do that from the tuner.

You'll know when you get it right you want a nice percussive thud.

I had the same problem until I bumped up the volume to 50 for the cable in Windows. Yes, there will be slightly more noise (nothing when I'm not touching the strings though), but I'd rather have that so I can play properly.

Thanks for the answers, the guitar volume is at the max level, so i guess i will try to bump the windows level.

I've been playing guitar on and off again for a couple of years now. I'd say I'm a decent guitar player but I'm no where near good. I really do like playing guitar but I've a problem with motivating myself to play and I just often don't even know what to play. Rocksmith seems really interesting to me as it might solve the problem of motivation for me. I was an avid Guitar Hero player back in the day so if it can scratch that same itch while actually playing the guitar would be great.

It should be a perfect game for you.

so1337

Is there a reason Tame Impala's Elephant is not on the European store yet? I keep checking the store but it's not showing up. Don't tell me they're hiding that song behind a pre-order bonus wall.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
O8LnvDP.jpg

Honestly I'm kinda disappointed with the song selections for this pack..
Fear of the dark is a must buy and probably number of the beast..but other three are just meh ..give me Hallowed be thy name, Rime of the Ancient Mariner , Revelations, flight of the Icarus, Phantom of the Opera..so many other better choices.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Unrelated question, can I use the USB cable to get sound off the guitar with various music software, or is it only compatible with Rocksmith?

Unrelated question, can I use the USB cable to get sound off the guitar with various music software, or is it only compatible with Rocksmith?

Yes, it can be used in other software. I've used it to connect with Apple's Garageband chord trainer and a software amp app.

Yep, tried it with Garageband also. Works great, no lag.

I'm loving 2014 to bits, highly recommended to anyone with an electric guitar. I'm currently working on Walk This Way, and having a blast. Really amazing song actually from a musical standpoint. Solos are still doing my head in a bit (for being so weird rhythmically, like most of the song in a sense way ahead of its time, at least it seems to me) but I'm getting the main stuff down and have it at 86% now.

I'm also really enjoying R U Mine. Have also imported all the songs from the previous game that I also owned on Steam (and PS3, but I'm sticking with Steam for this one for now).

Part of what makes this game so amazing is that it basically sets the Amp for you to exactly match the song. And that amp is built in. All in all it is really an amazing value, and a must have for anyone with an electric guitar and not horrified by computers (and even that can be overcome with this game if you love guitar enough ;) )

elfinke

A question for those more acquainted with guitar playing than I: what is a good exercise/practice tool for learning to strum - particularly multiple strings - consistently? I find strumming to be the hardest thing to do neatly once the tempo picks up, for example in the intro to Thunderkiss '65 or anything similar to that.

I've been doing basic things, like turning the speed right down and just working on accuracy and slowly build the speed up, but I'm wondering if there are any other methods I could look at?

O8LnvDP.jpg

Welp.

I guess I'm buying this now.

Glad they picked 2 minutes to midnight, can never get that riff to feel right and it's gotten frustrating.

Totally gonna go straight to Ace's high though, just to see how it rates me. Only maiden song I can do from start to finish currently.

Xyber

Fixed1979

What's the "correct" way to play the chords that appear to skip a string? Specifically the intro to 1979. I got up to playing it around 88%, and the next step up confuses me as it appears to be something like E - A - G, while skipping the D string. Am i suppose to be muting that string with the tip of one of my fingers or something?

I also don't understand what this type of chord is telling me.

xrsmithpreview.jpg.pagespeed.ic.x0Ph9m4xmF_229x128.jpg

Top Bottom