• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

R1CHO

The tuner is pretty annoying.

Even some of the songs that according to the track list are Standart E actually makes you retune because apparently they were not standard but flat or sharp.

Why is not the an option to get play them without tuning again? Just play es everything in standard E and make the game simulate the tuning.

Besides the accuracy of the tuner makes you lose a lot of time.

Another problem with the sound is that every time I launch the game it sets the level of the guitar to a very low value in Windows... And then it complains about the low volume of the guitar, specially on the high notes. WTF!

Those are my main problems with Rocksmith 2014,other than that is great.

XShagrath

Smashing Pumpkins pack is up on the consoles. It should be out on Steam today at 1PM Eastern.

Today
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Tonight, Tonight
Disarm

Each song also comes with a new tone that you can use in amp mode.

Varna

Guitar sound has a serious lag for me. It seems like the game registers the sound as I play the guitar, but output seems delayed. Everything else seems fine. All other I game sounds seem to be okay (did the latency checker in options). Running the whole shebang through HDMI on a PC.

They don't recommend HDMI for a reason. Are you using an onboard sound card? They recommend that too.

Man...pretty much everything is better in 2014. I spent an hour last night re-learning Thunderkiss 65 and I have to say, I enjoyed it a lot more than picking it out by ear off of the CD way back when.

Also, for the people with tuning issues: try raising your guitar output.

Fixed1979

Smashing Pumpkins pack is up on the consoles. It should be out on Steam today at 1PM Eastern.

Today
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Tonight, Tonight
Disarm

Each song also comes with a new tone that you can use in amp mode.

What's the expected cost for this? I really shouldn't bother buying new songs right now but I don't know if I can help myself.

brian

These songs are cool and good obvious choices for Smashing Pumpkins, but who do I have to pay to get Mayonaise in this game??

Fixed1979

Anyone on Steam, it looks like the DLC isn't showing up in game for people right now. Not sure if it's everyone, but I have yet to see a post from someone saying it worked for them.

These songs are cool and good obvious choices for Smashing Pumpkins, but who do I have to pay to get Mayonaise in this game??

Hope for custom DLC...that would be awesome.

XShagrath

Anyone on Steam, it looks like the DLC isn't showing up in game for people right now. Not sure if it's everyone, but I have yet to see a post from someone saying it worked for them.
I think Ubi fucked up, and the game has to be patched to see the new DLC or something. Seems like a dumb way to do it if they're going to need to patch the game every two weeks. There would have to be an easier way, as Rock Band didn't need patches for their weekly DLC.

edit: Looks like the game was patched last night. I don't know how to look at patch notes, so I'm not sure what they did. I'm gonna assume it's to show the Smashing Pumpkins pack though.

Fixed1979

hey guys, I'm really tempted to jump in to Rocksmith. is the guitar bundle worth it?

If you don't own a guitar it's a great way to get started. I'm pretty sure the guitar is just an off the shelf Fender Strat Squire, so you can price it at your local music store on the off-chance it might be cheaper to get the guitar/strap/pics there instead of part of the bundle. Most likely the price will be a wash, or just not worth the extra trip to another store to deal with sales people.

The guitar is a bottom rung Fender but will certainly do the trick for anyone starting out. I have a Squire bass and have no complaints.

hey guys, I'm really tempted to jump in to Rocksmith. is the guitar bundle worth it?

If you don't own a guitar it's a great way to get started. I'm pretty sure the guitar is just an off the shelf Fender Strat Squire...

It should be a Epiphone Les Paul Jr., $130 new. Agree that its a great starting kit.

Though for $150 you could get a Les Paul special II with 2 pickups instead of just the one which IMO is worthwhile if you think you'll stick with it a while and don't plan on getting a big upgrade.

You should find a shop and try out the LP models vs. something like a squire strat though, LPs are really heavy but have particular benefits that you may or may not care about. We're talking holding a 15 lb guitar vs. 5lb.

Tex117

Banned
Im totally diggin this!

As for starter guitars, you really need to figure out what you are wanting out of your guitar.

Any of the above mentioned would be fine for just playing Rocksmith, but eventually (if you like guitar) you are going to want to plug into an amp and actually rock!

The guitars mentioned are just not going to get you there.

I would suggest a Squire Classic Vibe 50's on sale (about 350 bucks...usually around 500). They have a cutting bright tone with the awesome Fender styling. A very solid beginner to intermediate guitar. Also remember you will need an amp!

That said, if you are just starting out, then the package guitar is enough to try in out and see if its for you.

Tempted to pick this up, but I keep my onboard sound card completely disabled in favor of my usb audio interface. Is there really a big difference in latency between using onboard and discrete sound cards?

Fixed1979

It should be a Epiphone Les Paul Jr., $130 new. Agree that its a great starting kit.

Though for $150 you could get a Les Paul special II with 2 pickups instead of just the one which IMO is worthwhile if you think you'll stick with it a while and don't plan on getting a big upgrade.

You should find a shop and try out the LP models vs. something like a squire strat though, LPs are really heavy but have particular benefits that you may or may not care about. We're talking holding a 15 lb guitar vs. 5lb.

My mistake, not sure why I thinking it was a Fender.

Tempted to pick this up, but I keep my onboard sound card completely disabled in favor of my usb audio interface. Is there really a big difference in latency between using onboard and discrete sound cards?

Not sure about latency but a lot of people seem to be having audio issues (myself included) using a sound card. I had to disable my Xonar and switch to on-board.

Tex117

Banned
My mistake, not sure why I thinking it was a Fender.

Not sure about latency but a lot of people seem to be having audio issues (myself included) using a sound card. I had to disable my Xonar and switch to on board.

Because those alot of those "starter packs" have that low end squire.

thanks guys for the feedback about the guitar bundle

well the thing is, I would have to buy the guitar and then the game with the adapter, right? unless it's (the adapter) not necessary if I get the PC version. I currently have an ASUS Xonar D2 soundcard built in my rig.

Shadybiz

Yeah, with Rocksmith 1, I had no issues with my usb card at all (almost 0 latency, as well). However, the card made 2014 totally unplayable. Had to switch to onboard.

well the thing is, I would have to buy the guitar and then the game with the adapter, right? unless it's (the adapter) not necessary if I get the PC version. I currently have an ASUS Xonar D2 soundcard built in my rig.

Yeah, $20 cable to hook the guitar into a usb port. Same cable for all the platforms.

I wouldn't sweat guitar choice too much, as long as you go for an established name (Fender, Epiphone, Ibanez etc.) at ~$100+ you should get a pretty decent starter so pick something that you can afford and like the look/feel/sound of.

Most of the quality of materials, manufacturing etc. is the same (decent machine manufactured and assembled in asia or mexico) up to ~$1k street price, and price is typically incremental upgrades in the replaceable hardware like pickups, tuners, controls/wiring so you can make upgrades if you want later.

Varna

It's a noticeable difference on top of sound issues currently with dedicated sound cards unfortunately. This might not work for everyone because of stability issues that sometimes occur when having two sound cards installed but right now I have my PCI-E and onboard installed. I just enable/disable as needed.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Cut'n'Paste of my short post last nite. Keep in mind I am a n00b, bought my first gat in July and apart from about 25% trophies in RS1 all my other playing has been coming from tabs online.

Picked this up tonight, man it's so much better it's like a different game. The training within the songs 'Rocksmith Recommends' really helps a lot with improving specific sections and finally it slows this down if it gets too difficult. Been practicing the main riff to The Trooper and already I feel like I'm improving.

In comparison the first game chucks you in the deep end, this game gradually fills the pool, it's great.

I have a old electric guitar I havn't use in years, a Slammer by Hammer with a Roland Micro Cube amp that I got at a really nice price when I was younger.

Never been good at it, and just wanted to be sure if there was any way to accord it good depending on the song you play in the game? Thanks!

XShagrath

Is there any way I can hook this up to my orange dual terror head or cab?
If you get a 1/4" Y-splitter, you can run your guitar to the game and to your amp. The downside to that is you won't get all the in-game tones coming through. I also have a bit of static coming from the amp when I tried it. I don't know if that's because my splitter is cheap, or there's just interference with the two cables being so close together.

Your other option (which I haven't tried) would be to route the in-game audio into the amp if it has some type of audio-in on it for an mp3 player or whatever. I'm not sure if this would work or cause any latency issues or anything, but I'll probably give that a shot sometime when I pick up a long enough audio cable.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I appearantly get a used guitar gifted by a friend this weekend. Checking if I can find my old guitar stand now, but I think I sold it too :/ Anyway, I might be in on this soon.

Now that I've sorted the audio issues out (Rocksmith was being an audiohog), I've REALLY enjoyed the session mode so far. Not too keen on the actual song playing as it's a bit slow and boring at the moment (and the delay is a little off putting).

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I'm having a weird problem right after i select bass guitar. I can get past the 'make some noise' initial setup section, but I have to pluck the string REALLY hard for it to register, even though I can hear my bass strumming through the game.

Then I get completely stuck in the tuning section - the E tuner metric thing almost never moves. If i pluck the string out tangentially to the guitar so it slaps back down on the pickups, the E bubble will get a number in it for a fraction of a second and move a little bit, but strumming regularly does not seem to register.

I see people complaining about stuff like this and people mentioning their pickups might be busted, but throughout both of these sections I can hear the guitar coming through the game, even when strumming lightly. Any advice?

Xyber

yes; like i said, i can hear the guitar coming through the computer as if it were plugged into an amp, but it's like the game barely notices.

This is for the PC version if that's the one you have.
The game changes the volume for the USB cable to 17% every time you launch it. Go to Recording Devices in Windows select properties on the Rocksmith cable and go to Levels and set it to 60 and it should work much better in the game.

Xun

I finally got the game today, and I must say it's fantastic.

I already play guitar, but I managed to get to 85% on My Generation in a relatively quick amount of time, which felt great.

Also it's incredibly addictive.

vehn

Anyone know why DLC doesn't show up in my game? I bought Cherub Rock and I see it in the "dlc" folder in the rocksmith 2014 directory, but it doesn't show up in the song list at all

Gamestop where I am have the first one with the cable for only €30. My question to you guys is;

Would I need the first game in order to get the tracklist from it into 2014 or could I simply buy 2014 and pay the $10 or whatever?

joevigilante

Neo Member
Gamestop where I am have the first one with the cable for only €30. My question to you guys is;

Would I need the first game in order to get the tracklist from it into 2014 or could I simply buy 2014 and pay the $10 or whatever?

you need the first game in order to import. the $10 is basically a tool that converts the RS1 files into a file type that can be read by RS2014.

Gen X

Was doing alright on The Trooper last night before bed, clocked up to about 60%. Went to play it this morning when I first woke up, lol, fail. Have to try and dial it down a notch or two and work my way back up again.

Love playing Everlong, surprisingly easier than I imagined. Only bit I have trouble with is when you need to hold the A string on 4th Fret and the G string on 6th then scale it up (is it the Pre-Chorus?). Having real trouble trying to mute the D string. Hopefully there is a Guitarcade game that focuses on this.

I haven't played Everlong because I am too lazy to down tune... But... how are you trying to mute it? If I'm understanding you right you should just flatten the angle your index finger is taking to the A string so that it is resting on and thus muting the D string, and use your third or fourth finger to fret the G string.

Oemenia

Banned
Maybe this has been asked already but I have the European Rocksmith 1 cable I got with the 360 version. Will it work on Rocksmith 2014 on PS3?

Gen X

I haven't played Everlong because I am too lazy to down tune... But... how are you trying to mute it? If I'm understanding you right you should just flatten the angle your index finger is taking to the A string so that it is resting on and thus muting the D string, and use your third or fourth finger to fret the G string.

That sounds like the logical thing to do [/Spock], I guess it is just practice moving my hand there and holding that position as I move up the frets.

This game has definitely taught me more than learning the songs in the original RS did, just because of the progression. So stoked with my purchase.

Out of interest, how was Rockband 3 for learners? Obviously I am not quite a learner anymore, but just wondered how easy that was to get into and the progression compared to RS2.

Top Bottom