I thought it was just me! Yeah, it's on a bit of a down streak lately. I mean, the Four Tops don't bother me but I have absolutely no desire to play their songs. At least South Park ships this month, meaning RSIII could be coming next.
Public registration for reset era should be up either sometime tonight or tomorrow. I have an OT up and some familiar faces are there already. If you're interested in going over there, a RS thread is waiting for you guys. Hope to see you there!
My experience is that it helped me stay engaged and keep practicing, and yes during all of that practice I improved. I'd slowly improve in forming chord shapes with my hands and what not (due to just practice and muscle memory), and speed and transitions, etc. In other words, it should definitely help with technical skill. And there's new DLC songs that come out weekly.
In terms of ear training or learning guitar theory, it doesn't really teach that (well, sort of - there is a session mode for you to practice scales though).
That said, if you do pick it up, I can offer a couple of tips when tackling a song in Rocksmith (mostly around using the 'riff repeater' feature)
* Amon Amarth ”Death in Fire" – B Standard [Rhythm/Lead]
* Amon Amarth ”Guardians of Asgaard" – B Drop A (AEADF#B) [Rhythm/Lead]
* Amon Amarth ”The Pursuit of Vikings" – B Standard [Rhythm/Lead]
* Amon Amarth ”Twilight Of The Thunder God" – B Standard [Rhythm/Lead]
* Amon Amarth ”War of the Gods" – B Standard [Rhythm/Lead]