• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Onemic

I sat down with the Plug In Baby riff for about 45 minutes today determined to learn it because that was the only part of the song that was barely leveled up. I went from not being being able to hit 5 notes in a row to knowing the whole thing and can now play it easily without the game. It doesn't sound amazing, but hey, I've only owned the guitar for 6 days now. http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16930725/plug_in_baby

And fuck yeah for Pantera!

i hate you

Xyber

6 days and you got Plug In Baby mastered? Pretty impressive. Really fun song to play, really feels like you're rocking.

One thing I would strongly encourage you to do to is for your sound issue is buy a pedal that has two outputs and have one of the outputs go to your PC/PS3/360 and the other go to an amp. Rocksmith kind of "pretty-ups" your sound which is great since sounding bad can really frustrate a lot of beginners before they even get going, but at the same time it's kind of a hindrance. If you have your guitar also plugged into an amp you'll hear your own raw sound and naturally clean it up the more you play.
Also by using a pedal to split the output you'll be able to keep that expensive Rocksmith cable nice and protected while you use a dirt cheap cable to connect your guitar to the pedal so you can feel comfortable to really move around and rock out while you play, if you're into that sort of stuff

I've had some experience with guitar before, but it's only from playing regular chords on my sisters acoustic for the most part.

I will have to get myself an amp later on, but right now I'm only using Guitar Rig 5 to play outside of the game. It works good enough for me and I can get a bunch of different sounds really easy.

i hate you

:D

I tried Combo 2 in Beast and the Harlot because I'm having troubles with the damn arpeggios in the chorus in combo 1, much more fun when I could play almost the whole song without problems. Recorded my third run of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnPBGWD_x1U&feature=youtu.be

I impulse bought this game for £30 during black friday deals on Amazon UK. I have never played any guitar in my life, can this make me play one?
Rocksmith can take you from no experience to a respectful intermediate level all by itself, but after that it's still a really good supplement to regular practice.

Pavaloo

Good god, I love this game. Stopped playing it when Gears of War 3 came out and just never came back to it.

Well, since I was pretty happy with my guitar skills I went out and bought a bass, and decided to try out their new expansion. AND I'M HOOKED! Again! What a terrific game! My bass skills have increased tenfold and I'm having a wicked time doing it. Man, I just couldn't recommend this game enough.

someday

Banned
Got this last week during Amazon's Black Friday sales. I'm really enjoying this so far even though I suck. I used to play guitar when I was a teenager but it's been a long time since that. I think I need to get some DLC sooner rather than later since I don't know a lot of the stock songs (and I really don't like some of them).

I need to just spend a day getting to know the game more. Right now I just go with whatever is recommended. Today I found the "practice a small section" part and that helped nail down parts of a couple of songs. Anyway, I'm having a good time and plan on spending a lot more time over the holidays.

Xyber

Rapstah

I can't believe how good Domination is, both as a song and to play. Complicated parts as well as plenty of points to rest your hand. Cowboys from Hell really makes me realise I hold picks wrong.

Xyber

Haven't you only played guitar for 2 weeks? Why are you already so good? D:

I've always had it easy when it comes to learning instruments. Never gotten really good at anything though since I always gets bored. This game might change that though! :)

I can't believe how good Domination is, both as a song and to play. Complicated parts as well as plenty of points to rest your hand. Cowboys from Hell really makes me realise I hold picks wrong.

Time for me to give that song a go now then, it sounds harder than both the other two songs though. So I probably won't do as good as I did on them. :p

Rapstah

Time for me to give that song a go now then, it sounds harder than both the other two songs though. So I probably won't do as good as I did on them. :p

I didn't find it anywhere as hard as Cowboys. Walk is fucking with me though, I want to mute strings they don't want me to mute and they want me to mute strings I don't want to mute. Why is it called "Walk (DROP D)" in the song list?

Xyber

I didn't find it anywhere as hard as Cowboys. Walk is fucking with me though, I want to mute strings they don't want me to mute and they want me to mute strings I don't want to mute. Why is it called "Walk (DROP D)" in the song list?

Yeah, it wasn't too hard really. I do need to level it up some, so it will probably go beyond my skills very soon. It was really fun though.

And I didn't get the (Drop D) either, but they probably have some explanation for it.

Here's a last video I did for today, Na Na Na by MCR. Really fun to play and has help me a lot with the chords where I need to press down 3 strings with my ring finger. Always did those with individual fingers before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l8mDM8vTtE&feature=youtu.be

Sobriquet

Isn't that just indicating that you should tune to drop D?

There's a lot of debate online of what tuning Dimebag played it in for Walk. Since Rocksmith can't do D Standard they opted to transpose the song into Drop D. I'm not sure where it shows up titled (Drop D) but this could let people know what they are buying.

Sobriquet

There's a lot of debate online of what tuning Dimebag played it in for Walk. Since Rocksmith can't do D Standard they opted to transpose the song into Drop D. I'm not sure where it shows up titled (Drop D) but this could let people know what they are buying.

Ah, that makes sense.

I can, with 100% certainty, tell you that he played it dropped down a full step. All of his tunings (standard, 1/2, full, 1 1/2 steps) were standard tunings with the entire guitar tuned down.

However, you can play Walk easily in drop D; it's how I originally learned the song. This also goes for a few of the other step down songs, like 5 Minutes Alone, I'm Broken, etc. You can play those in drop D or in a full step down standard.

fwvA9.jpg

Nickelback "Burn It To The Ground"

jgkspsx

The Best Buy version has some custom pedals. (And annoying Best Buy branding in the in-game store.) It would be $60 if you bought the Bass DLC, which is still cheaper than the new bundle, no?

The patches are pretty large size-wise, though.

AlexBasch

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I can bear with the BB branding, but I thought the price was suspicious. :p

Not really interested in the bass add-on right now, but does that mean that you can plug a bass guitar or does it emulate the instrument like the RB3 Pro Guitar?

EDIT: Holy shit, I'll be getting that later then. Last question, any way to know if that's an online price only or if it's a store price as well?

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I can bear with the BB branding, but I thought the price was suspicious. :p

Not really interested in the bass add-on right now, but does that mean that you can plug a bass guitar or does it emulate the instrument like the RB3 Pro Guitar?

both.

EDIT: Holy shit, I'll be getting that later then. Last question, any way to know if that's an online price only or if it's a store price as well?

I'm told that Best Buy is price matching Amazon and Amazon is $30 for that version of the game now, so it's a safe bet :)

I've played guitar for 15 years and am very intrigued by Rocksmith. However, the tabs or whatever the runway is called seems to confuse the shit outta me. Having something like Guitar Pro makes sense to me.

I'm not talking shit. I'm curious that if I get it I'd be able to figure their system out well enough to sight read through a song. How are other guitar vets handling the game?

Also, how forgiving is the game if you add a little something-something in a song? For example, adding a little palm mute to a section or a "flavor note" during the transition from one riff to another?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I've played guitar for 15 years and am very intrigued by Rocksmith. However, the tabs or whatever the runway is called seems to confuse the shit outta me. Having something like Guitar Pro makes sense to me.

I'm not talking shit. I'm curious that if I get it I'd be able to figure their system out well enough to sight read through a song. How are other guitar vets handling the game?

Also, how forgiving is the game if you add a little something-something in a song? For example, adding a little palm mute to a section or a "flavor note" during the transition from one riff to another?

if you invert the strings in the settings the notes will be identical to tab,which for most vets is a must.
basically it moves the thickest E string to the bottom and the Thin E string to the top

The default is the opposite and its as if your looking thru the neck of the guitar.

Rapstah

You can pretty much add all you want, but never play less than what is placed. It's incredibly lenient about muting or not muting: you can play all notes that are placed as muted without muting them and vice versa.

It's incredibly lenient about muting or not muting: you can play all notes that are placed as muted without muting them and vice versa.

It actually simply can't detect if a note is muted at all. It seems they just couldn't find a way to detect muted playing reliably so just didn't bother. More annoyingly they also didn't put in a graphic to indicate chords as being palm muted, so any chord that should be muted is shown as played normally. In a weird concession to accuracy they actually DO mark muted chords as long as you're playing the song at such a low level that that part is still represented as only single notes, which will then be correctly shown as palm muted. As soon as you level up the passage to proper chords difficulty they will be incorrectly shown as being played cleanly.

Xyber

It actually simply can't detect if a note is muted at all. It seems they just couldn't find a way to detect muted playing reliably so just didn't bother. More annoyingly they also didn't put in a graphic to indicate chords as being palm muted, so any chord that should be muted is shown as played normally. In a weird concession to accuracy they actually DO mark muted chords as long as you're playing the song at such a low level that that part is still represented as only single notes, which will then be correctly shown as palm muted. As soon as you level up the passage to proper chords difficulty they will be incorrectly shown as being played cleanly.

I think this is because it could get really messy if it changed often, they would have to show the normal chord and the muted chord every time it changed. If that happened in a place where you need to strum fast and change chords often it would be really hard to actually read what you are supposed to do. Kind of like with custom songs for the game now where it shows you every single chord you have to strum instead of that blue part on the note track.

It's not that hard to figure out if you should mute it though if you listen to the song.

Edit: So, a guy just gifted me "How You Remind Me". Yay, I guess? :p

Onemic

I think this is because it could get really messy if it changed often, they would have to show the normal chord and the muted chord every time it changed. If that happened in a place where you need to strum fast and change chords often it would be really hard to actually read what you are supposed to do. Kind of like with custom songs for the game now where it shows you every single chord you have to strum instead of that blue part on the note track.

It's not that hard to figure out if you should mute it though if you listen to the song.

Edit: So, a guy just gifted me "How You Remind Me". Yay, I guess? :p

Custom songs for Rocksmith are already up?

Xyber

Custom songs for Rocksmith are already up?

Not really (most of them suck). People have been messing with the tool and version 1.0 was released a few days ago I believe. It still needs some work, but it's totally possible to make a custom chart now.

Here's the only good one I've seen so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=30arBsic95M

Edit: The same guy put up this video just 20 hours ago and it seems like they have figured out how to properly chart chords now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDE0UjxZOYc&feature=plcp

I am not on their payroll, I just like to provide the latest information on games like this. Also if I worked for Ubi I probably wouldn't broadcast a DLC leak :)

Xyber

I am not on their payroll, I just like to provide the latest information on games like this. Also if I worked for Ubi I probably wouldn't broadcast a DLC leak :)

I think I've seen you commenting on Rock Band vids and stuff for years now, so there's no denying you like music games :p. I've been hooked ever since I got GH1 for my PS2 and I don't even want to think about how many hours of playtime I have in GH1/2/3 and RB1/2/3 combined. Heck, I've owned Rocksmith for 2½ weeks now and I already have 55 hours in that.

To be honest, not well. I've been playing guitar for 15 years and Rocksmith has been one long, counter-intuitive struggle for me. Even after inverting the way the strings are displayed along the bottom, I'm still finding it awkward - the fret you're supposed to be at needs to be displayed prominently at all times, yet as the screen moves itself up and down the neck I often find myself scrambling to align myself in time. Each string being assigned a colour rather than their note was confusing at first, but I did manage to get used to it. Chord boxes are another matter though, as the way they're displayed really seems to confuse the hell out of me. Which brings me to possibly my biggest gripe: the menus and looking up chords. I would greatly prefer to know what chords I'm supposed to be hitting before I have to play the song, and to do so you have to; go back to the main menu > go to techniques > go to chord book > scroll through the entire list of songs to find the one you want > select a chord > wait 20 seconds for the game to load a little interactive 'game' where you strum the chord a couple of times > more loading as the game goes back to the main menu. You have to repeat the entire process for every chord you want to look up. Maddening. For me personally, I find it easier to learn songs by sight reading from a tab or youtube video than I have with Rocksmith. I'm sure it's great for people who haven't been playing long/at all, or those who aren't so set in their ways, but it would have been nice to see them cater at least a bit to experienced players. Hell, I would love the option to have a rolling tab of the arrangement at the bottom of the screen as you play, would make things so much easier for me.

Xyber

To be honest, not well. I've been playing guitar for 15 years and Rocksmith has been one long, counter-intuitive struggle for me. Even after inverting the way the strings are displayed along the bottom, I'm still finding it awkward - the fret you're supposed to be at needs to be displayed prominently at all times, yet as the screen moves itself up and down the neck I often find myself scrambling to align myself in time. Each string being assigned a colour rather than their note was confusing at first, but I did manage to get used to it. Chord boxes are another matter though, as the way they're displayed really seems to confuse the hell out of me. Which brings me to possibly my biggest gripe: the menus and looking up chords. I would greatly prefer to know what chords I'm supposed to be hitting before I have to play the song, and to do so you have to; go back to the main menu > go to techniques > go to chord book > scroll through the entire list of songs to find the one you want > select a chord > wait 20 seconds for the game to load a little interactive 'game' where you strum the chord a couple of times > more loading as the game goes back to the main menu. You have to repeat the entire process for every chord you want to look up. Maddening. For me personally, I find it easier to learn songs by sight reading from a tab or youtube video than I have with Rocksmith. I'm sure it's great for people who haven't been playing long/at all, or those who aren't so set in their ways, but it would have been nice to see them cater at least a bit to experienced players. Hell, I would love the option to have a rolling tab of the arrangement at the bottom of the screen as you play, would make things so much easier for me.

Instead of going through chord book and stuff, why don't you just use the riff repeater before actually playing the song? That way you can take your time to learn what chords to play. I'm a total beginner compared to you (3 weeks with electric and some acoustic for a few months and I have only learned stuff from youtube videos) and there's not often the game throws a chord at me that I can't figure out by either playing it a few more times or go in to the riff repeater for a few minutes. Most songs just use the more common chord shapes anyway and you should probably know them by now? In the top left corner of every new chord box it says what chord it is too so it shouldn't be that hard to figure it out.

I don't know, it might be easier for me to process all the info since I'm so used to playing Rock Band and stuff.

Onemic

One legitimate problem I hope they find a way to fix if they make a Rocksmith 2 is how the game deals with moving up and down the frets. Pretty much you have to memorize when you have to move up and down the neck as the game does a poor job in indicating what fret the note you have to play is on, unless there's very little movement on the neck. You get used to it simply because you memorize how to play the song, but going through a brand new song with constant position changes is next to impossible to get right the first time.

Rocksmith can take you from no experience to a respectful intermediate level all by itself, but after that it's still a really good supplement to regular practice.

Oh thats good to hear! I was looking at some guitars, I found a beautiful black Ibanez for €290. Hefty price for me but I'd rather get a quality guitar than a cheap one from Aldi.

Xyber

One legitimate problem I hope they find a way to fix if they make a Rocksmith 2 is how the game deals with moving up and down the frets. Pretty much you have to memorize when you have to move up and down the next as the game does a poor job in indicating what fret the note you have to play is on, unless there's very little movement on the neck. You get used to it simply because you memorize how to play the song, but going through a brand new song with constant position changes is next to impossible to get right the first time.

The only thing I can think of that would help with that is to highlight (like it does now for where to hold your hand) the fret for the first note that is going up or down by more than 5 frets or something. And maybe keep the fret number showing at all times in just that field so you don't have to wait for a new beat to scroll down.

Top Bottom