• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Prodigal

Banned
So I just got this game yesterday and I love it, rank 5 already. But I'm wondering if I can make the game extremely easy so my dad can try to learn. Even resetting the difficultly in the options is too tough for him...is there some kind of easy noob setting I can turn on?

So I just got this game yesterday and I love it, rank 5 already. But I'm wondering if I can make the game extremely easy so my dad can try to learn. Even resetting the difficultly in the options is too tough for him...is there some kind of easy noob setting I can turn on?

Use the accelerator so he can play at 50% speed and lowest mastery? Alternatively he should just do challenges or minigames because some of the songs on their easiest level are just... so easy.
You get used to it simply because you memorize how to play the song, but going through a brand new song with constant position changes is next to impossible to get right the first time.
I'm not an expert but isn't this kinda how it is for regular-to-expert guitar players learning a new song barring some super-pro?

thefro

I'm not an expert but isn't this kinda how it is for regular-to-expert guitar players learning a new song barring some super-pro?

Regular for sure but not for people who can read tabs or sheet music. Still you're not going to have many people who can sight-read it 100% off the bat.

Regular for sure but not for people who can read tabs or sheet music. Still you're not going to have many people who can sight-read it 100% off the bat.
People who can read tabs/sheet are who I'm thinking of. I can read both and while I'm maybe, at best, a mediocre guitar player, a jump down the neck will cause me to freeze the first time I see it in a new song.

Xyber

Here's a video from what I think is the easiest of the Foo Fighters songs that was released yesterday.

Walk

Only took 2-3 runs to master it. The start of the song doesn't sound that great because I'm not that good at palm muting. :p

Prodigal

Banned
Use the accelerator so he can play at 50% speed and lowest mastery? Alternatively he should just do challenges or minigames because some of the songs on their easiest level are just... so easy.

Is there any way to play the length of an entire song at 50%? Rather than just like the verse or chorus.

should work now

also Steam Sale:

The game itself is available for $19.49, individual songs are $1.94, 3-packs are $5.19, and 5-packs are $7.79. Foo Fighters is not on sale.

Prodigal

Banned
So I'm doing Journey mode, around rank 7 now...I have a set list with stuff like the Blur song and the Pixies one, but they're asking me to hit 90k on 'em to pass. Is this because I've already played them in the free song mode prior to journey mode and I did well on them? It's near impossible for me to hit this score cap and it doesn't seem like it'll let me lower it after replays unless I reset the difficulty in the options and then set it back after playing it once.

MarkusRJR

I'm trying to teach myself guitar and I'm wondering if the guitar + game bundle is? I have a nice acoustic but not one that I can plug into the game. Also how is lag handled? I'm kind of worried I'll have some bad lag.

Released

So I'm doing Journey mode, around rank 7 now...I have a set list with stuff like the Blur song and the Pixies one, but they're asking me to hit 90k on 'em to pass. Is this because I've already played them in the free song mode prior to journey mode and I did well on them? It's near impossible for me to hit this score cap and it doesn't seem like it'll let me lower it after replays unless I reset the difficulty in the options and then set it back after playing it once.

How well had you done on them before?

Hitting 90k on the Blur song shouldn't be too difficult if you work at for a little bit. It definitely shouldn't be asking for 90k on "Where Is My Mind" though. That's strange.

Yaceka said:
I'm trying to teach myself guitar and I'm wondering if the guitar + game bundle is? I have a nice acoustic but not one that I can plug into the game. Also how is lag handled? I'm kind of worried I'll have some bad lag.

I wouldn't get the bundle. You can find better beginner guitars for a comparable price.

As for the lag, audio latency shouldn't be an issue if you use analog connections (like component cables), and you can correct any visual lag in the game's settings. Lag shouldn't be a problem.

zsidane

This game is like the holy grail for me! Always wanted to learn playing electric guitar but never did it! Bought a PS3 and all the GH games. That was cool but after one year nailing all the songs in a plastic guitar, it seemed like a dead end.
So I decided to treat myself and get an early gift by buying the PS3 copy while on a trip in Dubai.
Really liked the game but the game is really slow and has a lot of bugs. Couple of weeks ago, tried the game on PC and HOLY SHIT!
I feel like when I was a kid rushing back home after school to play some SNES/N64.
Definitely a wise choice, and the choice of new songs is far from poor. Panthera? OMG!
Now I only need a dedicated Slash pack.

Going back to rock the stage!

Prodigal

Banned
How well had you done on them before?

Hitting 90k on the Blur song shouldn't be too difficult if you work at for a little bit. It definitely shouldn't be asking for 90k on "Where Is My Mind" though. That's strange.

It's asking 90k for every song now, it's kinda weird. Not sure why.

MarkusRJR

I wouldn't get the bundle. You can find better beginner guitars for a comparable price.

As for the lag, audio latency shouldn't be an issue if you use analog connections (like component cables), and you can correct any visual lag in the game's settings. Lag shouldn't be a problem.
I'll be using HDMI on my TV as there's only 1 component cable input which is in use already. I have another TV I could use (HD CRT so it won't have much lag) although it has overscan issues so I'm worried some stuff will get cut off. Are there overscan options in the game ala Call of Duty?

If so I'll use my HD CRT as it'll be a pretty lagless experience.

Xyber

I'll be using HDMI on my TV as there's only 1 component cable input which is in use already. I have another TV I could use (HD CRT so it won't have much lag) although it has overscan issues so I'm worried some stuff will get cut off. Are there overscan options in the game ala Call of Duty?

If so I'll use my HD CRT as it'll be a pretty lagless experience.

HDMI is not optimal for this game, if you are going to use it you should also be connecting the console to a stereo with composite audio cables.

MarkusRJR

HDMI is not optimal for this game, if you are going to use it you should also be connecting the console to a stereo with composite audio cables.
Are there overscan options or screen positioning/sizing in the game? I'm not sure how to do that at all and if there are options in the game I could save myself the hassle and use it in component on my HD CRT.

Xyber

Are there overscan options or screen positioning/sizing in the game? I'm not sure how to do that at all and if there are options in the game I could save myself the hassle and use it in component on my HD CRT.

Not sure, can take a look.

Edit: Silly me, they probably wouldn't be showing those options in the PC version anyway. So I don't know if they have that in the console versions.

Pachimari

Just bought this game today with the game - don't know what to expect, other than I hope to learn a bit of basic guitar. Unfortunately it doesn't work with my acoustic guitar so I'm gonna find a used electric one.

Kandinsky

So I just got this for my son for xmas and he wants to know how he can up the difficulty, because right now is "slow and too easy", is there any way to skip the whole tutorial thing and just go ahead and try some tunes on hard?, thanks

jgkspsx

You can immediately set mastery to 100% and then fail down to a comfortable level in your first playthrough. You might be better off going to 50%.

zsidane

Regarding the audio lag, I must say I find it awful on PS3 (Even after using the scart cable for audio setup).
On PC, I use optical out for sound, tv connected with HDMI and there's like no lag at all!

I'm enjoying Vasoline by STP and my fingers are hurting :X

So I just got this for my son for xmas and he wants to know how he can up the difficulty, because right now is "slow and too easy", is there any way to skip the whole tutorial thing and just go ahead and try some tunes on hard?, thanks

No, you can only increase difficulty by showing Rocksmith how good you are by scoring high in events. You can also play the technique challenges to get RSP points as well.

Mastering "Go With The Flow" "Next Girl" "I Got Mine" is an easy way to accelerate the process as you could play those in Master Mode events and acquire a large number of points.

bottom line: hit the notes that are there to get more notes

elyetis

This is so fucking hard, never played guitar before in my life.
And every time you think you begin to get it, the game decide to add new note so you'r completly lost again. :/ It's not a learning curve, it's the game setting pits every time you begin to learn.

rvy

Banned
And every time you think you begin to get it, the game decide to add new note so you'r completly lost again. :/ It's not a learning curve, it's the game setting pits every time you begin to learn.

Pretty much. God damn, this has got to be the hardest thing I've ever tried. Why would you put noobs trying to play Go With the Flow and shit. This game is mocking my inability! I don't even know where to place my hands yet, let alone pull off something like that.

Still liking it.

It pushes you out of your comfort zone. I don't see the point of being locked into a stripped down version of a song over and over, but that's just my opinion.

Xyber

Pretty much. God damn, this has got to be the hardest thing I've ever tried. Why would you put noobs trying to play Go With the Flow and shit. This game is mocking my inability! I don't even know where to place my hands yet, let alone pull off something like that.

Still liking it.

But Go With The Flow is one of the easiest songs in the game, seems reasonable for them to let you play that. The song uses 3 very simple chords during the verse and then switches out one of them in the chorus.

Go in to the riff repeater and learn the sections before playing the songs, that will help a lot.

And for every number on the note highway in the game you probably have a dot or some inlay on the frets of your guitar. So in the game you see the numbers 3 and 5 and that translates to the first 2 dots on your guitar neck. If you learn what dot is what fret it makes it so much easier to know where to move your hand.

Onemic

Still liking it.

Go With the Flow is quite literally one of the easiest songs in the game(easiest in my opinion)

The game adds notes to help you break your plateau. It's needed in order to get better.

someday

Banned

Still liking it.
The riff repeater is your best friend. I try every song once and if I bomb it, I go there. Free speed helps to learn the notes but I spend most of my time in the accelerator and the leveler.

elyetis

It pushes you out of your comfort zone. I don't see the point of being locked into a stripped down version of a song over and over, but that's just my opinion.
It's been like 15 years since the last time I took music lesson ( piano ), but rocksmith definitly seems to push you far too fast ( for a complet beginner at least ). Only playing something like 70% of the notes ( and struggling to do so ) yet seeing the game consider that to be enough to complicate things doesn't seems a good way to teach at all.

Onemic

It's been like 15 years since the last time I took music lesson ( piano ), but rocksmith definitly seems to push you far too fast ( for a complet beginner at least ). Only playing something like 70% of the notes ( and struggling to do so ) yet seeing the game consider that to be enough to complicate things doesn't seems a good way to teach at all.

I was pretty much a beginner when I first picked up Rocksmith and it seemed to handle the difficulty progression very well. If you don't hit enough notes then it ill level down until you get to a point where you can do them all. I don't really know how it can level it up to a point that it's too hard for you to complete it and yet the game will still keep it at that level when you're missing almost all the notes. If it does then that is the level that you should be practicing at.

I'm actually just getting back into the game after a good 8 months of not playing(At level 9 atm) and I still feel like it does a great job in knowing my skill level for any given song.

mjrmj.png

Guessing it's Santana then

VXQ5Z.png

Here's hint #1 for the 1/8 DLC: this guitarist is one of the most famous musicians from the San Francisco Bay Area, which is also home to the Rocksmith Studio!

YWxef.jpg

Ready for DLC hint #2? This artist gained prominence in the late 60's/early 70's, but his 1999 record was actually his most successful, selling over 15 million copies!

Smooooooth

Top Bottom