• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games Launcher announced after saying earlier this year it wouldn't happen.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Their new launcher.

Earlier this year:

While Take-Two chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick is happy that Epic Games launched its own store, he doesn’t see Take-Two Interactive doing the same thing for its popular titles, nor does he think exclusivity agreements make sense for the company.

“If you have a powerful enough game line-up you can narrow your distribution and not leave anything on the table,” Zelnick told Variety. “But consumers like to shop where they can buy a multiplicity of things.”

FranXico

3at99r.jpg

Last edited:

AntiCap

At least it'll beat logging into Steam, running <game>, being prompted to log into Social Club, doing password reset, and then just deciding playing something else entirely.

rockstar doesn't have enough games to warrant their own launcher. 2K or Take2(2K games and Rockstar games under one launcher) do however.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I know I am going to sound friggin stupid right now but I haven't played games on PC since the 90's and I have no Idea what a launcher is. You can't just turn on your PC and play these games you have to log into a service to play them???

Kiriseki

Neo Member
I don't see anything wrong with first party launchers like this, ubisoft, origin, etc, despite the obvious lack of general consumer features. It makes sense for companies to want to sell their own games on their own terms, but people shouldn't be upset about this just because EGS, a storefront that is way more than just first party games, is being scummy at every turn.

mortal

Gold Member
Mildly inconvenient at worst, hardly that big of a deal imo.

On the bright side, this might be indicative of forthcoming RDR2 PC announcement.

Pejo

Fuckin'-A R*, not you too.

*edit* - I think I see why this one pisses me off. Ubi and EA, even though I hate their launchers, have a huge catalog of games on offer on their respective platforms. What does R* have? GTA, GTA Online, and (maybe) RDR2? I mean they make great quality games, but there's only a new one every 5-6 years.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Imagine 50m or more copies not paying 20% to Steam or 12% to Epic Store.

There is no way Rockstart won't release it own launcher.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
This doesn't necessarily have to mean anything. Didn't we have to launch GTA trough another launcher before?

Yeah rockstart club. You even have to launch it even if you have steam version much like you launch Uplay when you play Ubisoft titles.

Dear Steam fanboys. What happened to "developer releaseing their games on their own is different than games being Epic exclusive which is why no one says anything about it"

Arimer

rockstar doesn't have enough games to warrant their own launcher. 2K or Take2(2K games and Rockstar games under one launcher) do however.

Didn't stop Bethesda.

I feel like we're in the phase where every company makes a launcher to save that money, people eventually get tired of it. Someone makes a single item that does it all and we repeat the process. It's like where we are with streaming tv where now its all splitting so you need 40 different ones again and soon the "cable package" will make a come back.

Last edited:

Holammer

Rockstar can get fucked, if they release RDR2 on that thing I'm going to pirate, and I haven't done so for over a decade.
What next? The PUBG Game Launcher?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Didn't stop Bethesda.

I feel like we're in the phase where every company makes a launcher to save that money, people eventually get tired of it. Someone makes a single item that does it all and we repeat the process. It's like where we are with streaming tv where now its all splitting so you need 40 different ones again and soon the "cable package" will make a come back.

Bethesda released Wolfenstein Young Blood and Rage 2 on Steam, and they also plan to release Fallout 76

zeorhymer

But games are going to be cheaper!

Are they willing to lose possible millions of online players and shove them to a new launcher to re-build their community again? I think they have to start with RDR2 for their online stuff and then the next iteration of sports will end up on the store.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Glad I've finished rdr2 already on ps4.... so I won't have to buy it on their store and create account there

johntown

Banned
Glad I don't really care for Rockstar games. This is getting about as bad as the video/TV industry now with every new show launching exclusively on its own service. Seems PC gaming is heading in the same direction and Steam is like the Netflix of gaming.

Highly considering going back to consoles once PS5 launches as this is just getting ridiculous.

Bkdk

It could be possible that they would only be interested in porting RDR2 online to pc. The single player campaign might not even be included.

Hinedorf

Banned
So the PC consumer has 2 choices, become a pirate or stop crying. I'm not advocating one way or another but the large number of people acting like another launcher is worth stamping feet over it's a little late into that game.

Threatening to go back to console? What the actual fuck type of statement is that? I'm of the mindset I'd much rather Rockstar do their own thing separate of Epic.

Barakov

Oh goody. Another launcher. They only release a game every 6-7 years so it's not a big deal. Seems like it's a bait and switch like Ubisoft did.

I remember when there was loads of different TV stations offering different shows.

Then sky came along and put the under one roof.

The Netflix, Hulu, NowTV, Amazonprime, came along and Disney started to put them all under one roof...

The same will happen here. These launchers will be profitable as separate entities for now, but in a year or so, they will all come under one roof, as it will be more profitable.

Business, Business never changes...

Top Bottom