• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2017 |OT| - The Worst Slam

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Nadal will probably be #1 not long after Wimbledon.

historically nadal has not been very good post wimbledon if he had a great start to the year. his new drugs have to be something special if he's going to have the steam to compete on grass and fast hard courts this season.

A lot will come down to Wimbledon in the #1 race I think. If Nadal can go deep he'll probably pass Murray not long after regardless of what he does (unless he wins it). If he doesn't, Murray can probably hang on for a good bit longer unless Federer wins it and goes on a tear through the summer.

Hazzuh

historically nadal has not been very good post wimbledon if he had a great start to the year. his new drugs have to be something special if he's going to have the steam to compete on grass and fast hard courts this season.

He'll only be 1500ish points behind Murray after Wimbledon at most ( I'm assuming Murray wins and Nadal gets to a fair distance in to the event). Murray is defending so much for the last half of the year that it should be easy for him to make up the gap.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Weird, Ostapenko and Bacsinszky share a birthday tomorrow (turning 20 and 28 respectively). Guess one will have a better one than the other.

Ricker

Weird, Ostapenko and Bacsinszky share a birthday tomorrow (turning 20 and 28 respectively). Guess one will have a better one than the other.

That is weird hehe...wont be able to see all of these 2 matchs today but pulling for Bacsinszky and Halep...Timea better be sharp though because if she limits her UE,Ostapenka is hitting the ball incredibly well and could cause a surprise.

And wooooooo,Gabriela Dabrowski won her first slam,in mixed double mind you,but still,congrats.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/glory-dabrowski-she-wins-canadas-first-slam-title-mixed-doubles

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Damn, was hoping Timea would win. Ostapenko was just too much though, crushing so many shots.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
shame this match was the first semi. i wouldn't mind clayray appearing in the finals, but not against nadal. only slamrinka can save tennis then. if thiem by some miracle did win then slamrinka would be unnecessary and could go back into hibernation.

I gotta say this is a pretty mediocre match so far. So many UEs, so many balls from Murray lack a lot in length, but Wawrinka can't quite capitalise on those.

tolkir

Spanish journalists say maybe Nadal doesn't play Grass tournaments like Federer with Clay.

Kensuke

Damn, this match is not progressing favorably for Wawrinka. I feel he should be wrapping up the match right now. Instead he's working incredibly hard. He's running out of gas. This marathon-like development is exactly what Murray wants.

Ugh, if Wawrinka had dialed the errors back a bit and finished his smashes properly I think he would be serving for the match right now. Credit to Murray for being incredibly stubborn and building a fortress.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
so many times wawrinka gets an overhead and then he hits it right at murray.

and now murray is serving for the third set.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure Wawrinka has the fitness for much more. Murray has really focused on moving him around as much as you possibly can move around a player who dictates points so much. Wawrinka has just got sloppier and sloppier where Murray steadied himself.

Smellycat

As much as I want Wawrinka to win, a tough five setter isn't going to do either of them any favors in the final. However, the second SF is coming up next, and who knows how long that will go on for.

sam777

Wawrinka definitely hit the ball a lot cleaner in the tie break, if he continues striking it like that I can see him winning the final set.

Kensuke

How this turnaround happened I will never know. The momentum shift from Wawrinka to Murray was easy to see, with Stan failing overheads and running out of gas.

Him finding a second wind must be... some kindness from the tennis gods. But we know they can be cruel and give us false hope.

Top Bottom