• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 Australian Open |OT| 18th January - 31st January

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuuKyK

sfx149879.jpg

Official Website

Men's Draw | Women's Draw

Schedule of Play | Live Scores

Defending Champions:

201502021324170952051001422863657.jpg
gettyimages-462560460.jpg

Men's Favorites: Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka, Rafael Nadal.

Dark Horses: Tomas Berdych, Kei Nishikori, Grigor Dimitrov, David Ferrer, Marin Cilic, Milos Raonic, Nick Kyrgios.

Women's Favorites: Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova, Simona Halep, Garbine Muguruza, Agnieszka Radwanska.

Dark Horses: Victoria Azarenka, Petra Kvitova, Belinda Bencic, Genie Bouchard, Angelique Kerber, Karolina Pliskova, Ana Ivanovic, Caroline Wozniacki, Madison Keys.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Thanks for posting the OT. Hoping Fed doesn't lose early again this year.

Possibly a sill question but will the bottom half of the bracket be the last semi final on Friday. Trying to work out which side of the bracket I'll be seeing.

Serena v Wozniacki
Sharapova v Bencic

Radwanska v Vinci
CSN v Kvitova

Kerber v Bacsinszky
Muguruza v Azarenka

Venus v Pliskova
Halep v Keys

Other notables: Giorgi R1 for Serena. Bouchard/Aga R2, winner likely to play Stosur in R3. Kasatkina v Schmiedlova R1. Stephens/Vinci R3. Mladenovic/Cilbulkova R1, winner probably advances to play Kvitova/Gavrilova (likely R2) in R3. Kerber's eighth is quite soft - Jankovic and Bacsinszky are her seeds and there are no big floaters in it. Nobody really stands out as stopping Muguruza/Azarenka in R4 either.

I think this year I'm rooting for Wawrinka and Serena.

I remember when Serena won I think it was her 3rd Australian Open. They had Margeret Smith Court present her the trophy.

Later during Serena's on court interview I think they asked her her opinion Court's sucess at the Australian Open, and I remember Serena kind of giggling at the question and responding something like: "I don't think I'll going to win 11 Australian opens."

That was probably 10 years ago, and she still may not be anywhere close to touching Court's Australian Open record. But she's inching closer and closer to Court's Grand Slam singles titles record. Just 4 more to go, and it actually looks doable.

szaromir

Banned
Just cancel the men's event and hand Djokovic the trophy already. :(

Aga should retire on the spot if she loses to Bouchard in round 2. Looking forward to the battle of Sumyk's protégées, Azarenka - Muguruza. Halep with a soft draw as usual.

Just cancel the men's event and hand Djokovic the trophy already. :(

Aga should retire on the spot if she loses to Bouchard in round 2. Looking forward to the battle of Sumyk's protégées, Azarenka - Muguruza. Halep with a soft draw as usual.

Bouchard is actually playing well to start the year. She's playing in a Finals tomorrow in Hobart. Could be a tricky match for the lady Radwanska

Other notables: Giorgi R1 for Serena. .

How fitting is it that Serena's first match back will be against a top 40 Italian player?

The AO website is now showing qualifying matches with no country restrictions. I'm in the USA and it was blocked the other day but I can watch it today. Just FYI

Peru

Azarenka is the big question mark here, she's looked super dangerous so far in 2016 but we don't know how she'll sustain it after a year murky with injuries. Could do everything or combust in round 3.

Memles

Bouchard is actually playing well to start the year. She's playing in a Finals tomorrow in Hobart. Could be a tricky match for the lady Radwanska.

It's so hard to know with Genie, but she was ahead in the second against Cibulkova, lost three straight games, smashed a racket, and then held it together to take the third. That's the kind of determination that she was showing in the slams back in '14.

Exactly. If he gets there, he will be exhausted after that match regardless of the result. Isner will serve him out of the sport in the 4th round, unable to race to reach half the balls.

Sock beat Ferrer today
Hewitt beat Sock last week
Hewitt > Sock > Ferrer

Transitive property over the course of 1 week is very accurate
believe

Also, Isner struggles against grinders. Isners biggest nemisis outside the top 25 is 5'10" Kohlshrieber. Hewitts draw is tough, but not impossible to make a deep run.

I took a note of the best odds available for the top ten men and women before the draws were made. Interesting to compare then with the new odds.

Pre-Draw Australian Open Odds (best price):

Men:

Novak Djokovic - 0.73/1
Andy Murray - 6/1
Roger Federer - 9/1
Rafael Nadal - 12/1
Stan Wawrinka - 14/1
Kei Nishikori - 33/1
Nick Kyrgios - 50/1
Milos Raonic - 50/1
Grigor Dimitrov - 66/1
Tomas Berdych - 66/1

Women:

Serena Williams - 3.5/1
Victoria Azarenka - 4.5/1
Maria Sharapova - 9/1
Simona Halep - 10/1
Garbine Muguruza - 12/1
Petra Kvitova - 16/1
Belinda Bencic - 16/1
Agnieszka Radwanska - 20/1
Angelique Kerber - 33/1
Sloane Stephens - 45/1

Post-Draw Australian Open odds: (best price)

Men:

Novak Djokovic - 0.73/1
Andy Murray - 5.5/1
Roger Federer - 12/1
Stan Wawrinka - 16/1
Rafael Nadal - 16/1
Milos Raonic - 45/1
Nick Kyrgios - 50/1
Kei Nishikori - 66/1
Tomas Berdych - 80/1
Grigor Dimitrov - 100/1

Women:

Serena Williams - 3.3/1
Victoria Azarenka - 4/1
Simona Halep - 9/1
Maria Sharapova - 10/1
Garbine Muguruza - 14/1
Petra Kvitova - 16/1
Agnieszka Radwanska - 22/1
Belinda Bencic - 25/1
Angelique Kerber - 40/1
Sloane Stephens - 50/1

Bookies think Murray drew well. Sharapova goes out beyond Halep with Serena in her quarter.

Uzzy

Looking forward to another year on Lisicki's wild ride. Maybe she won't crash out in the 1st round this time round!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i'm glad federer is on djokovic's side of the draw. since it's australia it's of course not given he makes it as far as the semis, but if he does i much prefer his chances in a semi over another big final against the serb. of course if stronga or samurai could get the job done that would be even better, but that's obviously not going to happen.

Ricker

It's so hard to know with Genie, but she was ahead in the second against Cibulkova, lost three straight games, smashed a racket, and then held it together to take the third. That's the kind of determination that she was showing in the slams back in '14.

One of the ballkids got a little souvenir hehe...

omf6RXL.jpg

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Tennis.com picks

Men's champion:

Djokovic, Djokovic, Wawrinka

Women's champion:

Muguruza, Serena, Azarenka

Men's dark horse:

Coric, Kyrgios, Sock

Women's dark horse:

Lisicki, Svitolina, Stephens