• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I can now look forward to RG with the knowledge that Murray might actually win it; if Clayray turns up and he can get over his strange habit of choking deciding sets.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
True, all against Rafa though. Novak beat Nadal and Murray and still didn't win.

Clearly Novak needs someone else to beat Rafa so he can beat that person in the final.

Nadal really has this RG thing down. If he beats you, you lose. If you beat him, you lose.

Maybe Djokovic's ceiling is to have a Pete Sampras career. He can rack up US Opens and AO's, but never win a French. Not a bad career at all, but there will be that void

John Dunbar

correct about everything
it's probably just tennis karma at work. his disgusting play style should never have won a single wimbledon title, so to balance things out djokovic is not winning any on the dirt where piggies like him frolic.

Fair play to Stan, he ripped that fourth set from out of Novak's hands and took it back and then some. In an era of 5 hour semi-finals followed by 6 hour finals, there's still something to be said about the path of least resistance; stamina isn't infinite after all. Murray might not have beaten Djokovic yesterday, but he set him up beautifully for Wawrinka to finish the job.

I think it proved that the QF victory against Nadal wasn't really that much of a watershed moment, especially given how poor Nadal has been this year. It's not so much a right of passage when you only beat the former king of clay at his gimped and inept.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Fair play to Stan, he ripped that fourth set from out of Novak's hands and took it back and then some. In an era of 5 hour semi-finals followed by 6 hour finals, there's still something to be said about the path of least resistance; stamina isn't infinite after all. Murray might not have beaten Djokovic yesterday, but he set him up beautifully for Wawrinka to finish the job.

I think it proved that the QF victory against Nadal wasn't really that much of a watershed moment, especially given how poor Nadal has been this year. It's not so much a right of passage when you only beat the former king of clay at his gimped and inept.

just as the prophecies foretold. clayray sacrificed himself to save tennis. we are not worthy.

Djokovic was gracious in defeat, smiled for the crowd and everything. After going through Murray and Nasal it must be disappointing, but congrats to Wawrinka!

Wawrinka is now 2/2 for Slam finals! And he has as many slams as Murray.

IISANDERII

That was probably the best or 2nd best 4 setter I ever seen[the other would be Sampras def Agassi 6-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6 US Open]. Amazing balls out tennis by Stan, he came in with the only strategy that would work and executed the plan brilliantly.

Poor Djoker, he put on a brave face for the cameras but he looked pained.

Smellycat

CG5t4-wWwAAa5uu.jpg

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

It is Federer watching the final in case you didn't figure it out

MIMIC

Banned
Maybe Djokovic's ceiling is to have a Pete Sampras career. He can rack up US Opens and AO's, but never win a French. Not a bad career at all, but there will be that void

Samparas never made a RG final, IIRC. Novak has 3. He can definitely win the French.

of course i will remember this. i'll need something to make me feel better.

You mostly just troll so it's probably foolish of me to think that you'd ever do the things you lecture others about.

oti

Banned
Of course Djokovic will win the French eventually. Stan had to play the best match of his career to beat him today, he's unstoppable 90% of the time. He's young enough, he's a pro. Him achieving the Career Slam is inevitable and that's totally fine.

szaromir

Banned
Is there any hope for Nadal to overtake federer before retiring or is his career most likely over?
Looking very unlikely at this point.

Stan has achieved pretty amazing things in his career when he puts it like this:
Much has been made of the Samuel Beckett quote tattooed into Wawrinka's arm when he won the Australian Open: "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

Asked about the quote again on Sunday, a smiling Stan summed it all up: "It's just my career. It's quite strange when I tell myself that I have a gold medal, a Davis Cup, and I have two Grand Slam. Something quite amazing. Never expect to be that far in my career. Never expect to be that strong."
http://www.si.com/tennis/2015/06/07/stan-wawrinka-wins-2015-french-open-second-major-title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom