• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He played very good last year, run out of steam in the second set in the quarters for whatever reason.

Didn't really think he ran out of steam, just the ball's low bounce on grass and the faster movement through the court doesn't give him time to set up his backhand. He was beaten because he was less good. Clay is Wawrinka's best surface for a reason; QF is his best ever Wimbledon result and even Janowicz has done better than that.

Didn't really think he ran out of steam, just the ball's low bounce on grass and the faster movement through the court doesn't give him time to set up his backhand. He was beaten because he was less good. Clay is Wawrinka's best surface for a reason; QF is his best ever Wimbledon result and even Janowicz has done better than that.

to be fair, prior to this year QF was also his best French Open result :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray is still much better.

I also still hold that Tsonga is better. Wawrinka has now won 19% of his matches against Djokovic; Tsonga has won 46%. The only difference is that if Tsonga beat Djokovic, then Nadal or Murray or Federer would be waiting. These days, it's only really Djokovic and Murray, and Wawrinka didn't even have to play Murray.

QF was his best FO result too and last year he lost in the first round.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
QF was his best FO result too and last year he lost in the first round.

Yeah, but that was sort of surprising. Like, I always thought Wawrinka underperformed at RG; clay is clearly his best surface - it accounts for both of his only two masters, for example. His QF appearance at Wimbledon was, on the other hand, a pretty accurate reflection of his level of play.

szaromir

Banned
Yeah, but that was sort of surprising. Like, I always thought Wawrinka underperformed at RG; clay is clearly his best surface - it accounts for both of his only two masters, for example. His QF appearance at Wimbledon was, on the other hand, a pretty accurate reflection of his level of play.

Pretty sure MC'14 is his only MS1000 title.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure MC'14 is his only MS1000 title.

I swore he won MC '09. Did he not win '09?

...fuck, he didn't win '09. Well, there you go then. Still, clay accounts for 100% of his masters regardless. :p

STAN THE FUCKING MAN! This feels like that year where Soderling should have won, or that Australian Open that Tsonga had in the bag. It's nice when the other guy win.

Rainy Dog

Amazing display of attacking tennis. Well-deserved win.

Exactly. I've hated how successful brick wall, counter punching tennis has been for Nadal, Djokovic and Murray over the past few years on these slower courts.

Stan pulling this off, playing like he did has been glorious to watch today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom