• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
CG69M0AUcAAqd0G.jpg

Stan Wawrinka: First person in 27 years to win the French Open boys title and then go on win the men's title.

Also:

“It will be in the museum at Roland Garros. You will see my shorts every day if you want. I quite like [them]. Apparently, I’m the only one.” lol

clemenx

Banned
I think Nadal having more slam than Fed as perfectly possible. Note that this wouldn't mean he had a better carreer, that one it's impossible.

SIRF

Is there any hope for Nadal to overtake federer before retiring or is his career most likely over?

I'd say it's still very likely, people are being too dramatic here with the loss for Nadal. He's getting healthy again and seems to be motivated to continue.

So heartbroken over this. Novak played so well in the first, and had a great game plan. He completely got away from it. He was hitting the ball deep, not letting Stan get big swings at the ball and it was working.

Anyway. Entertaining match. Wish it had gone to the 5th. Props to Stan, he was just crushing the ball. He started serving well as well.

Ophiuchus

“It will be in the museum at Roland Garros. You will see my shorts every day if you want. I quite like [them]. Apparently, I’m the only one.” lol

My friend got distracted but I too liked them.It shows that he doesn't care about apparel.He is not like Federer. While Roger would have his wife watch every haircut to make sure it was perfect, Stan looks like he just put on whatever he took off, threw on the floor last night, then grabbed and put on for the match today. A real “ham and egger.”

Patriots7

I hate Stan and Djoko.

Stan is a piece of shit who ditched his family to be single. What absolute shit.

Goddamn it Nadal, why couldn't you have regained form and save us?

Diamond

It was such a great final. Very high quality of play on both sides (their match at the beginning of the year was an exception to the rule, thankfully), tense moments, varied shots, two great champions, as the post-match speeches showed, even the crowd was great for once (the ovation for Djokovic at the end was really cool). Very nice tournament overall. It will be very interesting to see how all this influences the grass season.

Also, in other news, Roland Garros building permits will be delivered next week and work will begin before the end of the year, so we'll have our night sessions in a near future. Glad they worked it out.

Is there any hope for Nadal to overtake federer before retiring or is his career most likely over?

Nadal is done, I wouldn't be surprised for him, Federer and Djokovic to hold a retirement party together at the end of this season. The future belongs to Wawrinka, Cilic and Clayray. And Soderking when he returns next year.

I hate Stan and Djoko.

Stan is a piece of shit who ditched his family to be single. What absolute shit.

46c15_wta_Donna-Vekic-and-Stan-Wawrinka.jpg

Pacbois

Woah, that was something else. I got the chance of following the match with an amazing backdrop. That vibe was great, people were really into the match.

Seems like is was way more packed than wednesday and thrusday. I thought about going but sadly I had stuff to do at home.

MIMIC

Banned
Got a match today. Gonna take my frustrations out on my opponent -_____-

If he says a single disparaging word about Novak, I will not let him win a single game :)

clemenx

Banned
Nadal is done, I wouldn't be surprised for him, Federer and Djokovic to hold a retirement party together at the end of this season. The future belongs to Wawrinka, Cilic and Clayray. And Soderking when he returns next year.

Meh. Cilic is shit. Last US Open is really the only one I got mad at Fed for not winning. I wouldn't have mind if he lost to Kei but not acceptable to lose against Cilic, as great as he was playing.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Meh. Cilic is shit. Last US Open is really the only one I got mad at Fed for not winning. I wouldn't have mind if he lost to Kei but not acceptable to lose against Cilic, as great as he was playing.

cilic was also very impressive at wimbledon last year. if he had been a slam champ back then he might have had the mental game to take down djokovic in the quarters. i won't be surprised if he has a good run again. but then again, i wouldn't be surprised if he lost in the first round.

MIMIC

Banned

Cilic was playing lights out, though. Closing out both his SF and final matches, he basically served an ace on all 8 points. He was essentially unplayable.

Federer would have destroyed Kei, however.

EDIT: Maybe not destroyed, but Federer most certainly would have won.

Niraj

Cilic basically just played two flawless matches in the semis and final. Nothing anyone could do about it. He's got one slam wonder written all over him though, unless he gets blessed with a miracle draw and everyone else decides to suck.

Dispatch

I have a difficult time rooting for Nadal. He takes so much time between points it breaks the rules. Yes, so many others do it, but it bothers me most with Nadal, (and, off topic, Sharapova, especially when she turns her back on the server.)

Where Fedkilla sees gamesmanship, I see poor sportsmanship. (And, to grant myself a bit of authority, my tennis team didn't win much when I coached, but we did win the Sportsmanship Award three years out of my seven as coach.)

All of that is in preface to this. I firmly believe Nadal is done winning Slams. He's had so many injuries due to impact (knee, back, ankle, wrist) that he'll never be the same. Maybe, maybe, he has a Sampras-like revival for one last Slam, but he won't catch Federer.

One last thing to add: I've never really been a Djokovic fan before today. Not that I disliked him, I just felt he was the most mechanical and boring of the big four (having been a fan of the tumultuous and idiosyncratic Murray since very, very early in his career, and naturally warming to Federer as the graceful, swashbuckling GOAT, and Nadal the ultimate competitor who, alone, could best him), but he completely won me over with the way he handled himself in defeat. His dream was denied today by an underdog; he'd have been forgiven some frostiness or frustration during the closing ceremony, wanting to slink away and console himself, but he was able to give not only good words for Stan, but serious comment on the match, and even an interview to McEnroe afterwards. The RG crowd managed, uncharacteristically, to give him a sincere, warm round of applause, and it was well deserved. Absolute class.

Well, one other thing: Lucie Safarova won the womens' doubles with Mattek-Sands. Yay!

88random

I'd say it's still very likely, people are being too dramatic here with the loss for Nadal. He's getting healthy again and seems to be motivated to continue.

The thing is, he is healthy this year. But his confidence took a hit. I still think he may win another RG, but I don't think he'll match Fed.

Whats the story behind this? When did this happen?

Stan decided to focus on his tennis more a few years ago at the expense of time with his family, because he believed he wasn't maximizing his career. Recently, he divorced his wife because he wasn't able to devote enough time to her and their daughter.

There are rumors that he is dating Donna Vekic, but there is no official statement nor proof from the players right now.

Well, its a rumor still, but they were seen together a lot of after he broke up with this wife.

They've been an item for a while on the tour apparently, before his divorce, it's no real secret. Wawa's wife statement about their divorce was pretty damning aswell :
"No, Stan does not lose matches because of our separation, said to be painful, because it has been already five months since his triumphant return at Davis Cup," she said in French. "His decision to leave, for the second time, his family did not stop him from to winning the tournament in Chennai and having more or less, very good results.

"No, trips and tournaments are not the cause of our separation. Besides, other players, ranked higher than him, handle family life very well. His instability, desire to regain his freedom—at all levels—are the source. And I have to admit the repeated fibs and emotional betrayals eventually destroyed entirely the confidence I had in him."

At the end of the day, it certainly revitalized him to hang around Vekic, can't blame him.

Diamond

It's a divorce story concerning two individuals we don't know personally. Yet people manage to call Wawrinka a piece of shit and hate him for that. Positive energy all around...

One last thing to add: I've never really been a Djokovic fan before today. Not that I disliked him, I just felt he was the most mechanical and boring of the big four (having been a fan of the tumultuous and idiosyncratic Murray since very, very early in his career, and naturally warming to Federer as the graceful, swashbuckling GOAT, and Nadal the ultimate competitor who, alone, could best him), but he completely won me over with the way he handled himself in defeat. His dream was denied today by an underdog; he'd have been forgiven some frostiness or frustration during the closing ceremony, wanting to slink away and console himself, but he was able to give not only good words for Stan, but serious comment on the match, and even an interview to McEnroe afterwards. The RG crowd managed, uncharacteristically, to give him a sincere, warm round of applause, and it was well deserved. Absolute class.

Absolutely agree. I'm not the biggest Djokovic fan either, but as I wrote before, his behaviour today was superb.

Niraj

It's a divorce story concerning two individuals we don't know personally. Yet people manage to call Wawrinka a piece of shit and hate him for that. Positive energy all around...

Absolutely agree. I'm not the biggest Djokovic fan either, but as I wrote before, his behaviour today was superb.

While we're on the subject, it was really poor form of the Roland Garros website putting up an article talking about his personal life, specifically stuff relating to his marital issues.

A bit surprised at the result, but full credit to Stan for the win. Djokovic will get another shot at RG, but time is against him, Murray is lurking, and Nadal is still around. This might've been his best chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom