• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ron Moore/SyFy's 'Helix' sets key cast, will be paired with Being Human in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

The Killing's Billy Campbell will star as CDC pathologist Dr. Alan Farragut, who first and foremost is a man of science, having dedicated his life to understanding and containing infectious diseases. Although brilliant, his bedside manner leaves something to be desired. For Alan, his work is his life, especially since the devastating end of his marriage. An affair between his wife (Dr. Kimberly Walker) and his brother (Dr. Paul Farragut) has left Alan in a pretty serious state of denial. He now finds himself forced to deal with emotions old and new when tasked to save his estranged brother who has become infected with a deadly disease.

Additionally, the role of Hiroshi Hitaki, the mastermind behind the arctic base and the top-secret research happening there will be played by Hiroyuki Sanada (The Wolverine, Revenge, Lost). Walker, the former wife of Campbell's character who hasn't seen him in two years -- who will reunite with him after two years -- will be played by Kyra Zagorsky, whileand Balleseros, the U.S. military liaison to the CDC with a dangerous agenda of his own, will be played by Mark Ghanime.

During the Friday panel, Mark Stern, president of original programming at Syfy, said the network had been looking to do something with Moore again and the sterilized character story feels as if it's "chaptered" like FX's American Horror Story. He noted that the potential second season could take place in a different location. "The format of this show allows us to take narrative leaps," Moore says.

The show launches with an outbreak and a team from the CDC is sent to contain it. Moore says "they learn that the research that they're involved in has both the potential to save humanity and destroy humanity."

Maeda noted that bypassing the pilot stage helped producers plot out the character-driven show instead of packing everything into the pilot. "We want to get the hooks in early but we also want to set up character so you want to come back and spend time with these people. ... We're planning to keep the tension up."

Stern noted that the series is a big bet for Syfy and helps mark the network embracing its sci-fi roots with additional decisions on its pilots and miniseries coming soon. The series will be paired with Being Human next year.

Maeda said the series will not have a BSG look but the base will have a very sleek look. "Visually, we wanted to do something different. We discussed shooting in a BSG-kind of style," he said. "We are referencing a lot of different filmmakers -- the term Kubrickian has come up a few times."

Moore also said that he recently sat down with his son and watched the BSG miniseries for the first time in years. "He really liked it, I was very pleased. I was holding my breath for a little bit. ... I just sat there and it was really amazing."

Ultimately, Madea said there would be a payoff at the end of the 13-episode season that would answer several of the big questions presented during the characters' journey that will also set up season two.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/comic-con-syfys-helix-sets-585527

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm excited for this, although I fear Billy Campbell will bring back some less than desirable memories of The Killing and The 4400.

"The format of this show allows us to take narrative leaps,"
Well that's already giving me general ideas on where the first season ends up :/

injurai

Banned
I'm getting a sort of "The Thing" vibe from this. It's interesting because Ronald Moore originally wrote the script and screenplay for the The Thing Prequel, but was scrapped and rewritten by someone else.

Dan

When will they broadcast this? This Fall? Q1 2014?

It seems Being Human has always aired January to April, so that would seem logical for both shows to be on in that period next year.

anaron

I always expected a sci-fi/horror tone and I'm glad it's establishing that. I'm liking these tease teasers a lot.

- THR: 'Helix': Get a First Look at Ron Moore's Syfy Drama

QAaUVQT.jpg

IQ7woh8.jpg

Dan

Interesting. I'm definitely watching. I hope it doesn't go too far with the action.

I must have forgotten that Hiroyuki Sanada had joined the cast. Awesome, love him.

SamuraiX-

I'm actually pretty intrigued by this. Looking forward to seeing/hearing more. Will definitely check out the premiere in January.

Slime

Banned
Bummed they didn't pick up Infinity, but I'll take this. Everything about its sounds really interesting.

Helix will premiere January 10th:
HELIX (TWO EPISODE PREMIERE) FRIDAY, JANUARY 10 AT 10PM

Helix is an intense thriller about a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control who travel to the high-tech research facility, Arctic BioSystems, to investigate a possible disease outbreak, only to find themselves pulled into a terrifying life-and-death struggle that may hold the key to mankind’s salvation or total annihilation. However, the lethal threat is just the tip of the iceberg, and as the virus evolves, the chilling truth begins to unravel.

Billy Campbell (Killing Lincoln, The Killing) stars as Dr. Alan Farragut, leader of the Centers for Disease Control outbreak field team called upon to investigate and control a potential outbreak. Hiroyuki Sanada (The Wolverine, 47 Ronin) also stars as Dr. Hiroshi Hatake, director of Arctic BioSystems and its mysterious viral research program.

Helix also stars Kyra Zagorsky (Supernatural) as Dr. Julia Walker; Mark Ghanimé (Emily Owens, M.D.) as Major Sergio Balleseros; Jordan Hayes (House at the End of the Street) as Dr. Sarah Jordan; Meegwun Fairbrother as Daniel Aerov; Catherine Lemieux (White House Down) as Dr. Doreen Boyle, and Neil Napier (Riddick) as Dr. Peter Farragut.

Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica, Outlander), Steven Maeda (Lost, The X-Files) who is also showrunner, and Lynda Obst (Contact, Sleepless in Seattle) are Executive Producers. The 13-episode series is produced by Tall Ship Productions, Kaji Productions and Lynda Obst Productions in association with Sony Pictures Television. Prolific director and producer Jeffrey Reiner (Friday Night Lights) directed the premiere episode, which was written by creator and co-executive producer, Cameron Porsandeh.

How many shows has this guy started since Battlestar Galactica ended? It's like he really wants to make the new BSG but fails every time.

Dan

I hope this pathogen doesn't just make people crazy and violent.

More The Thing, less The Walking Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom