• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Root Double - Before Crime * After Days KS ($135k goal/Steam&Vita/Zero Escape-like)

Aku-Audi

Thanks for the continued suppor, folks. I'm beginning a new stretch of sleepless nights now to prepare for the final hours so wish me luck. It's not done until the timer turns 0.

For those of you with either Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr, or all, feel free to sign up to our Thunderclap to spread the word. It basically just syncs all signees up to send out a message at the same time about the campaign.

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/37185-let-s-kickstart-root-double#panel2-2

Shizuka

The other KS I've backed (Exogeneisis, Yooka-Laylee) have been funded really fast so not used to seeing this.

It's not about being funded fast or not, but the final surge. They're always pretty big, more than enough to cover the goal in this case.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
What are you talking about?

Every now and then (for those following closely) the number drops down, and ends up going back up, just a little. Today has been yet another fairly slow day, too. Some days are certainly more noticable, like the day it plunged 2k :/

Every now and then (for those following closely) the number drops down, and ends up going back up, just a little. Today has been yet another fairly slow day, too. Some days are certainly more noticable, like the day it plunged 2k :/

They've done 4.7k today, it hasn't been slow.

Jazz573

It's doing just fine.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is the Vita version going to be available for purchse on PSN at a later date? The Kickstarter exclusivity marker on the rewards section makes me think it won't, but I'm not certain based on the updates.

Is the Vita version going to be available for purchse on PSN at a later date? The Kickstarter exclusivity marker on the rewards section makes me think it won't, but I'm not certain based on the updates.
Nah, it's saying if you pledge $99 then you only get the Vita version if you do that exclusive tier.

But yeah, no way they're not releasing on PSN. They're already doing the Vita port at a loss.

sprinkles

How did I miss this until now?

I just backed for a digital copy, I hope this gets over the finish line unlike other games I backed.

Zalusithix

Since it looks like it's going to get funded, I backed it.

You are aware that backing something that wont get funded doesn't have any negative consequences right? If everybody held off because funding wasn't a sure bet, then nothing would get funded.

That said, I haven't backed yet. I like being part of the last 24h crowd every once in awhile. (Not that I plan on going in for much.)

I keep seeing Ever17 pop up when people mention this title. Was that ever released in English? I'd love to check it out. Might help me decide to back or not.

I keep seeing Ever17 pop up when people mention this title. Was that ever released in English? I'd love to check it out. Might help me decide to back or not.

It was officially released in English a decade ago, but it's out of print and hard to find copies of it. And due in part to the rights to the game changing hands multiple times it hasn't been put on Steam or anything.

sprinkles

It had a limited Retail release back in 2005 but it is not available digitally as far as I know.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
They should really make a collector's set with Ever17 etc in it. Somehow, unless the license is still a pain to get :/

I would like any official rerelease. still haven't played the abandoned English one.

5pb seems to own the rights to it, the best bet is to hope they re-release it themselves as they seem to be getting into self-publishing Steam games with their not-so-secret Steins;Gate release.

Vanethyr

6P3Auc5.png

Edit:

BDiBSQM.png

BACKED.

Good god, that $40 tier is all I've ever wanted.

Unless all the higher tier backers swap our their pledge for lower ones, it should probably make the last $5000 by the end of the day, right?

BACKED.

Good god, that $40 tier is all I've ever wanted.

Unless all the higher tier backers swap our their pledge for lower ones, it should probably make the last $5000 by the end of the day, right?

The 48 hours notices are going out too so it will probably end up funded by then.

hngggg. Vita early bird is tempting.
Have they said anything about the region? Meaning EU or NA codes?
They've only gotten explicit approval from Sony NA so far, but they're planning on an EU release too. Or so they've said in KS comments. Their latest comment on it was this
At first we will give out US codes, but we are planning on running it through SCEE as well. It might take a little extra time to get that approved due to different guidelines and ratings.
We are gonna look into the EU codes and take proper care of it. Don't worry. This will be discussed and communicated with you all as it progresses.

Vanethyr

I would like to know that as well. NA code only would be nearly useless for me.

I seriously doubt they'd restrict them to NA if they plan to release it on PSN.

Or at least I'm hoping they go down Degica's route and just ask which region you want the code for in a survey.

Ekid

Damn that 40$ pledge for the Vita is really tempting. Ever17 is basically my favorite vn ever so even though Uchikoshi isn't involved, I feel like I need to play this one.

This would be the first game I back on Kickstarter.

georly

OK, i know nothing about this, but i bought my vita as a VN machine, so i'm down. More vns is good for me. I'm assuming everyone's excited because it's already established as a good game? Any other VN you can compare it to? I'm just getting into the genre, having mainly only played the ace attorney and zero escape stuff (and maybe other stuff i cant remember).

Knurek

Aku, topped my Paypal account.
Anxiously awaiting the go sign. There's $30 with Nakazawa's name on it, just sitting there, waiting...

OK, i know nothing about this, but i bought my vita as a VN machine, so i'm down. More vns is good for me. I'm assuming everyone's excited because it's already established as a good game? Any other VN you can compare it to?

999 seems to be the closest one.

Breads

Banned
PLEASE MAKE IT, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Isn't $135K a bit huge?

Art assets, writing, scripting (vns can be still be tedious despite the simple programming), editting, material costs, KS fees, etc for a full time team to realease a full VN within a year? That seems just fine.

OK, i know nothing about this, but i bought my vita as a VN machine, so i'm down. More vns is good for me. I'm assuming everyone's excited because it's already established as a good game? Any other VN you can compare it to? I'm just getting into the genre, having mainly only played the ace attorney and zero escape stuff (and maybe other stuff i cant remember).

Zero Escape is the spiritual successor to a VN trilogy called Infinity, in which the closest to ZE is Ever17- which shares directors with Root Double (Takumi Nakazawa). Many people think of E17 as better than Zero Escape (especially due to some recycled twists). E17 is out of print in English right now and goes for upwards of 300 bucks. AFAIK, Root Double has a very good reputation. Similar to Zero Escape (especially 999 apparently).

Shizuka

Zero Escape is the spiritual successor to a VN trilogy called Infinity, in which the closest to ZE is Ever17- which shares directors with Root Double (Takumi Nakazawa). Many people think of E17 as better than Zero Escape (especially due to some recycled twists). E17 is out of print in English right now and goes for upwards of 300 bucks. AFAIK, Root Double has a very good reputation. Similar to Zero Escape (especially 999 apparently).

I'm one of the few people that doesn't think E17 as better than Zero Escape.

I think Ever 17 is better than Zero Escape. One of the reasons is the twists they use in E17 is reused in Zero Escape. Might be one of those cases of which game did you play first.

If people who prefer ZE over E17 are "few", then I'm screwed- my GOAT is VLR.

I think Ever 17 is better than Zero Escape. One of the reasons is the twists they use in E17 is reused in Zero Escape.

I'll give you that ZE's twist reusage is very cheap (but done as well as can be, and I think to an extent redeemed their reappearance) and that Sora is the best character ever (literally ever, in any VN or book or game or whatever- Sora's my favorite character); but in terms of pacing, storyline and overall mystery, IMHO Ever17 can't really surpass Zero Escape (except Sora's route, that shit was perfect).

Disclaimer: Played 999 and VLR before E17.

edit: Overall, Remember11 trumps over Ever17 and even stands a chance against the Zero Escapes (it has the best atmosphere in any VN ever for me, no contest) except for the god awful ending. Alas, it pains me to think of what could have been when I think of the cut third route of Remember11...

Jazz573

If people who prefer ZE over E17 are "few", then I'm screwed- my GOAT is VLR.

I'll give you that ZE's twist reusage is very cheap (but done as well as can be, and I think to an extent redeemed their reappearance) and that Sora is the best character ever (literally ever, in any VN or book or game or whatever- Sora's my favorite character); but in terms of pacing, storyline and overall mystery, IMHO Ever17 can't really surpass Zero Escape (except Sora's route, that shit was perfect).

Disclaimer: Played 999 and VLR before E17.

Remember11 is my favourite of the Infinity series. It's really nice to have played them in release order because you'll notice things in common, namely mentions of characters from other games.

Never7 wasn't amazing but I enjoyed it. Yuuka best girl. :p Kurumi is adorable.

Top Bottom