• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rotten Watch: STAR TREK (Directed by J.J. Abrams) RT says it's better than TDK (96%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
civilstrife said:
Saw it tonight. LOVED it.

One question though, coming from a non-trekkie. Sorry if it's already been addressed.

In the old timeline, the Romulan planet (Romulus?) is destroyed by the supernova. Why then does it exist in TNG? Does it even?

Romulus was destroyed in the TNG timeline after the events of Nemesis; so up until then, Romulus existed as it does in this new timeline.

However, In this new timeline, Romulus hasn't been destroyed by the supernova (but it will.. in about 150 years), but Vulcan has been destroyed by Nero from the future.. which is a major alteration from the TNG timeline, hence why it's now considered to be an 'alternate' timeline (thus leaving the TOS and TNG / DS9 / VOY timeline intact in its own path) while allowing this new series of movies to continue on using "established canon" as a blueprint, yet not a rule.

DrEvil said:
Romulus was destroyed in the TNG timeline after the events of Nemesis; so up until then, Romulus existed as it does in this new timeline.

However, In this new timeline, Romulus hasn't been destroyed by the supernova (but it will.. in about 150 years), but Vulcan has been destroyed by Nero from the future.. which is a major alteration from the TNG timeline, hence why it's now considered to be an 'alternate' timeline (thus leaving the TOS and TNG / DS9 / VOY timeline intact in its own path) while allowing this new series of movies to continue on using "established canon" as a blueprint, yet not a rule.

I see. I was under the impression that TNG took place more than 150 years after TOS, but a quick trip to wikipedia tells me it's only 70.

What about the later series', though? Is Romulus still around or is Nemesis the furthest that timeline goes?

B.K.

civilstrife said:
I see. I was under the impression that TNG took place more than 150 years after TOS, but a quick trip to wikipedia tells me it's only 70.

What about the later series', though? Is Romulus still around or is Nemesis the furthest that timeline goes?

Yeah, The Next Generation is less than a century after the Original Series. There was even a cameo by old McCoy at the end of The Next Generation's pilot episode.

Romulus is still around through The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and the movies. Nemesis is the furthest that we see in the original timeline.

Did anyone else notice that scene where Kirk meets spock prime is extremly similar to when Luke meets Ben kenobi in Star Wars? The beginning of the scene also reminds me of Empire Strikes back (when luke is getting chased by the wampa through the ice caverns).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The newest issue of Cinefex (July 09) has a nice 26 page article covering visual effects production for the new Star Trek film. In it, it's stated the new Enterprise is "nearly 1200 feet," which makes it well smaller than the 1701-D which was a bit over 2100 feet.

There's also a 23 page article covering Terminator, so a good chunk of ILM love in the new issue. And my name is in the ILM thank you ad. :D

XiaNaphryz

Also, the article calls the other ships in the fleet that was with the Enterprise headed to Vulcan as "Kelvin vintage," so I assume they're all much older classes.

XiaNaphryz

The digital issue of Cinefex with the ST article is up, though you need a subscription to access the whole issue. You can preview the article at this link, though you'll only be able to get to some of the pages as the previewer keeps tracks of how many pages you've seen and restricts it to something like 17 pages - that should be enough to cover the ST article, just be sure not to go backwards in the issue and eat-up your preview count total.

Also, it looks like release info for the DVD and Blu-ray of Star Trek will be announced at Comic-Con!

bluehand_front.jpg

XiaNaphryz

Solo said:
Might as well post it here too:

Star Trek - November 17th

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3130

3-Disc set!
Specific details:

* 1-disk DVD — $29.99
* 2-disk DVD — $39.99
* 3-disk Blu-ray — $39.99

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (July 17, 2009) – This year audiences thrilled at the triumphant voyage of the Starship Enterprise and her young and vibrant crew in movie theaters across the planet — and on November 17, 2009, the world will go where no one has gone before when STAR TREK debuts as a three-disc Blu-ray with digital copy, two-disc DVD with digital copy and a single-disc DVD from Paramount Home Entertainment. Bursting with “spectacular action” (Hollywood Reporter) and “pure filmmaking exhilaration” (Rolling Stone) director J.J. Abrams’ sensational reinvention of the “Star Trek” franchise was hailed by critics and embraced by long-time and new fans alike, earning over $375 million at the worldwide box office. Starring a hot young cast including Chris Pine (Carriers), Zachary Quinto (”Heroes”), Zoe Saldana (Avatar), Karl Urban (The Bourne Supremacy), John Cho (Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle), Anton Yelchin (Terminator Salvation) and Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead), the global smash hit also features seasoned actors such as Eric Bana (Munich), Bruce Greenwood (National Treasure: Book of Secrets), Winona Ryder (Girl, Interrupted) and the original Spock himself, Leonard Nimoy.

“I cannot wait for fans of Star Trek to check out the home entertainment release of the film. The behind-the-scenes features on the DVD — and especially the Blu-ray — give a wonderful look at the crazy hard work and incredible fun that went into making this movie,” said J.J. Abrams. “The cast and crew were truly extraordinary to work with — watching these special features, you’ll see why. And for people who didn’t catch Star Trek in the theater, I hope they do now, as Paramount has done an exceptional job with this release; the picture and sound quality are both excellent.”

The STAR TREK DVD and Blu-ray will boast out-of-this-world special features to take viewers even further into the new universe of the rousing space adventure. The two-disc DVD and three-disc Blu-ray include in-depth explorations of the reimagining of the franchise, the phenomenal cast, the spectacularly real action sequences, the powerful score and the captivating aliens, commentary by J.J. Abrams, the writers and producers, a gag reel and a digital copy of the film. Additionally, the discs feature compelling deleted scenes that reveal a side story involving Nero with a first-ever look at Abrams’ version of the infamous warrior Klingons.

The STAR TREK Blu-ray boldly ventures beyond the final frontier with over three hours of sensational bonus footage including branching pods that allow for enhanced exploration, more fascinating features on the starships, planets, props, costumes and sound of STAR TREK, as well as a Starfleet Vessel Simulator and access to the latest NASA news about real-life space exploration via BD-Live.

The two-disc DVD and three-disc Blu-ray will also offer a home entertainment first: groundbreaking augmented reality technology. Using a webcam, a Star Trek visual cue will morph into a 3D holographic tour of the U.S.S. Enterprise on the screen, providing a unique immersive and interactive experience.

DVD:

The STAR TREK two-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround with English, French and Spanish subtitles. Special features are as follows:

Disc 1:

* Commentary — By director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk.
* A New Vision — J.J. Abrams’ vision was not only to create a Star Trek that was a bigger, more action-packed spectacle, but also to make the spectacle feel real. Every aspect of production — from unique locations to the use of classic Hollywood camera tricks — was guided by this overall objective.
* Gag Reel — Bloopers featuring the entire principal cast.

Disc 2:

* Digital Copy
* Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
o Spock Birth
o Klingons Take Over Narada
o Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank
o Amanda and Sarek Argue After Spock Fights
o Prison Interrogation and Breakout
o Sarek Gets Amanda
o Dorm Room and Kobayashi Maru (original version)
o Kirk Apologizes to the Green Girl
o Sarek Sees Spock
* To Boldly Go — Taking on the world’s most beloved science fiction franchise was no small mission. Director J.J. Abrams, writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof, and executive producer Bryan Burk talk about the many challenges they faced and their strategy for success.
* Casting — The producers knew their greatest task was finding the right cast to reprise these epic roles. The cast, for their part, talk about the experience of trying to capture the essence of these mythic characters. The piece concludes with a moving tribute to Leonard Nimoy.
* Aliens — Designers Neville Page and Joel Harlow talk about the hurdles they faced creating new alien species, recreating the Romulans and Vulcans, and designing the terrifying creatures on Delta Vega for the new Star Trek.
* Score — As a fan of the original series, composer Michael Giacchino embraced the challenge of creating new music for Star Trek while preserving the spirit of Alexander Courage’s celebrated theme.
* DVD-Rom:

o STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for XBOX 360
o Weblink to the STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for PC
o Weblink to the STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for PlayStation Network

The STAR TREK single-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround with English, French and Spanish subtitles. The single-disc DVD includes the commentary, “A New Vision” and the gag reel.

BLU-RAY

The STAR TREK three-disc Blu-ray is presented in 1080p High Definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Special features are as follows:

Disc 1:

* Commentary — By director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk.
* NASA News — This BD-Live feature gives viewers access to the latest NASA news about real space exploration. Learn about new mission developments and check out featured imagery from around the universe.

Disc 2:

* To Boldly Go — See description above.
o Branching Pods:
+ The Shatner Conundrum
+ Red Shirt Guy
+ The Green Girl
+ Trekker Alert!
* Casting — See description above.
* A New Vision — See description above.
o Branching Pods:
+ Savage Pressure
* Starships — Abrams and production designer Scott Chambliss were careful to pay tribute to the design of the original Enterprise, but they also wanted to make it futuristic and cool for a modern audience. This chapter focuses on the unique stories behind the creation of the film’s starships.
o Branching Pods:
+ Warp Explained
+ Paint Job
+ Bridge Construction Accelerated
+ The Captain’s Chair
+ Button Acting 101
+ Shuttle Shuffle
+ Narada Construction Accelerated
* Aliens — See description above.
o Branching Pods:
+ The Alien Paradox
+ Big-Eyed Girl
+ Big Bro Quinto
+ Klingons
+ Drakoulias Anatomy 101
* Planets — From the frozen landscape of Delta Vega to the desert plains of Vulcan, Scott Chambliss and the art department had a number of radically different planets to create. Abrams’ desire to shoot on real locations whenever possible led the production team to a number of strange and surprising locations.
o Branching Pods:
+ Extra Business
+ Confidentiality
* Props and Costumes — Property master Russell Bobbitt had the unique challenge of designing props that were both true to the original series and pertinent to today’s technology. Likewise, costume designer Michael Kaplan talks about how he designed costumes that paid homage to what came before yet were relevant and timeless.
o Branching Pods:
+ Klingon Wardrobe
* Ben Burtt and the Sounds of Star Trek — When famed sound designer Ben Burtt was hired to create sounds for the first Star Wars film, he took his inspiration from the original “Star Trek” series. Burtt jumped at the opportunity to pay tribute to the sounds that sparked his career with the sounds he created for the new Star Trek.
* Score — See description above.
* Gene Roddenberry’s Vision — J.J. Abrams, Leonard Nimoy, previous Star Trek writers and producers, and scientific consultant Carolyn Porco describe and commend the optimistic and enduring vision of Gene Roddenberry.
* Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary — See details above.
* Starfleet Vessel Simulator — Explore extensive data on the U.S.S. Enterprise and the Romulan ship, the Narada. Submerse yourself in breathtaking 360° views and close-ups and review detailed tech information.
* Gag Reel — See description above.

Disc 3:

* Digital Copy
* STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for XBOX 360
* Weblink to the STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for PC
* Weblink to the STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for PlayStation Network

STAR TREK

Street date: November 17, 2009
Runtime: 127 minutes
U.S. Rating: PG-13 for some intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence and brief suggestive content
Canadian Rating: PG for violence

In other Trek news:

More Star Trek Home Video News To Come
Next week Paramount should be announcing details on the Star Trek Season Two and the Next Generation Films Blu-ray sets, and possibly more.

International Note
The above information is for the North American release.

XiaNaphryz

TrekMovie.com: The 3-disk Blu-ray and 2-Disk DVD for Star Trek are up for preorder on Amazon and are discounted to $27.99 at Amazon (US only).

Other pricing known so far:

Overseas releases & pre-orders
Star Trek is also available to pre-order overseas. TrekMovie has not confirmed the features, box-art or release dates, but the following are the prices and release dates available on the various Amazon sites.

UK (Amazon.co.uk) – pre-order November 2

* 1-disk DVD: £9.98
* 2-disk DVD (w/ free comic book) £14.98
* 3 -disk Blu-ray (w/ free comic book) £17.98

Germany (Amazon.de) – pre-order for December 31

* DVD: EUR 17,95
* Blu-ray: EUR 28,99

XiaNaphryz said:
Why wouldn't it be Top 5? Top 3 could be argued against since Up may keep it out of 3rd, but I can't see why Top 5 isn't realistic.

Top 5 is possible. Up has already made more money than Star Trek and it looks like The Hangover could make more money as well by the time it's over. So it could be number 5, but there could still be a movie coming out later in the year that makes more (Avatar?).

Forkball

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. I thought the film would be filled with cheesy one-liners and wink-wink moments, but it really wasn't (ok, there were some cheesy lines, cupcake). It had a great visual style that mixed modern futuristic art with the now retro look of the TV show and the special effects were pretty convincing. The cast is what really stands out as everyone seems to be really into their character and no one comes off as boring or generic. Perhaps you can attribute this to Rodenberry for making the characters so unique and dynamic, but without good performances you it wouldn't work nearly as well. I'm not a huge Trek nerd so I don't mind changes to the characters. Personally I found
Spock and Ahura's relationship to be refreshing and unexpected. A lazier person would have had Kirk and Ahura shack up at some point. I personally like protagonists in these types of films who don't really have a love interest, it just makes them seem more dedicated to the thrill of adventure.
I knew about the
time travel
element ahead of time, and I thought it was going to be pandering for fans of the original series. Luckily it didn't come off that way and actually made sense. I still think they tried a bit too hard patching up everything to avoid nerd rage from fans of the 60s series, but it worked surprisingly well. I haven't seen many movies this year, but this is probably my favorite film of the summer. Hopefully we get a sequel soon.

reKon

Banned
I'm late to this thread, but w/e. This is still probably the most enjoyable film I've seen this summer (I've seen Harry Potter - good movie, The Hangover - good movie, Gran Torino on DVD - good movie, Transformers 2 - I was forced to see this and I didn't want to...).

The movie in its sum of the parts was excellent and you don't have to know anything about Star Trek to really like it. I gave it a chance because Abrams was behind it, but the outstanding reviews made this a must see. I'm glad I did. I liked the plot and the characters along with most of the dialogue (despite the cheesy ones, which weren't THAT bad). What impressed me the most was the visuals. The CGI was insane in this movie and it really intensified the climatic parts. This is something I'd definitely want to see in an IMAX theater.

critch

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
huh? i don't follow BO numbers but i was under the impression Star Trek was 2009's biggest success story so far. oh wellz

Well, it is just based on nobody but me thought it was going to do anything, and instead it breaks out to be an incredible success. A 200 million R rated comedy isn't anything new, but Star Trek has NEVER been this popular. And Hangover isn't exactly going to start a franchise, whereas Star Trek will continue, and as long as the quality is there like it was with this one, it'll be as big as Transformers.

SimleuqiR

Star Trek Headed Back To IMAX For 2nd Limited Run
Star Trek back to IMAX September 4th
Starting this weekend Star Trek: The IMAX Experience will begin playing at 85 theaters in the US and Canada. This new engagement will be limited. The next IMAX movie scheduled is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs opening September 18th.

Theater List
The following cinemas will have Star Trek on IMAX starting this weekend. Theaters currently showing the movie are marked with an ‘*’.

USA

Mesa , AZ – Gateway 12 + IMAX Theatre
Phoenix , AZ – Deer Valley 30 with IMAX

Aliso Viejo , CA – Aliso Viejo Stadium 20 with IMAX
Camarillo , CA – Camarillo 12 with IMAX
El Dorado Hills , CA – El Dorado Hills Stadium 14 with IMAX
Emeryville , CA – Bay Street 16 with IMAX
Escondido , CA – Escondido Stadium 16 with IMAX
Fairfield , CA – Fairfield Stadium 16 + IMAX
Fresno , CA – Fresno Stadium 21 + IMAX
Ontario , CA – Ontario Palace Stadium 22 + IMAX
San Diego , CA – Palm Promenade 24 with IMAX
Santa Clara , CA – Mercado 20 with IMAX
Simi Valley , CA – Civic Center Stadium 16 + IMAX
South Gate , CA – South Gate Stadium 20 with IMAX
Stockton , CA – Downtown Stockton 16 + IMAX
Universal City , CA – Citywalk Stadium 19 with IMAX
Westchester , CA – Bridge De Lux 18 + IMAX

Altamonte Springs , FL – Altamonte Mall 18 with IMAX
Aventura , FL – Aventura Mall 24 with IMAX
Cape Canaveral , FL – IMAX Theater *
Fort Myers , FL – Gulf Coast Town Center Stadium 16 + IMAX
Jacksonville , FL – Regency 24 with IMAX
Orange Park , FL – Orange Park 24 with IMAX
Orlando , FL – Pointe Orlando Stadium 20 + IMAX
Orlando , FL – Waterford Lakes Stadium 20 with IMAX
St Petersberg , FL – Baywalk 19 + IMAX
Tallahassee , FL – IMAX Theatre Tallahassee *
Tampa , FL – Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) *
Tampa , FL – Veterans 24 with IMAX
Tampa , FL – Channelside Cinemas Stadium 9 + IMAX

Augusta , GA – Augusta Exchange Stadium 20 + IMAX
Kennesaw , GA – Barrett Commons 24 with IMAX
Morrow , GA – Southlake Pavilion 24 with IMAX Honolulu , HI – Dole Cannery 18 with IMAX

Boise , ID – Boise Stadium 21 + IMAX

Batavia , IL – Randall 14 + IMAX
Lincolnshire , IL – Lincolnshire Stadium 20 + IMAX
Woodridge , IL – Cinemark 16 + IMAX

Noblesville , IN – Hamilton 16 IMAX
Portage , IN – Portage 15 + IMAX

Louisville , KY – Stoney Brook IMAX
Newport , KY – Newport Levee 20 with IMAX

Harahan , LA – Elmwood Palace 20 with IMAX

Boston , MA – New England Aquarium *

Saco , ME – Cinemagic Saco 12 with IMAX

Detroit , MI – Detroit Science Center IMAX Theatre *
Grand Blanc , MI – NCG Trillium Cinema + IMAX
Lansing , MI – Celebration – Lansing 19 + IMAX

Sterling Heights , MI – Forum 30 with IMAX
Ypsilanti , MI – Showcase Ann Arbor 20 + IMAX

Roseville , MN – Rosedale 14 with IMAX

Saint Louis , MO – Ronnies Cinemas 19 + IMAX

Charlotte , NC – Stonecrest At Piper Glen Stadium 22 with IMAX
Concord , NC – Concord Mills 24 with IMAX

Council Bluffs , NE – Star Cinema 16 with IMAX

Henderson , NV – Sunset Station Stadium 13 with IMAX
Las Vegas , NV – Brenden Palms 13 + IMAX
Las Vegas , NV – Red Rock Stadium 15 + IMAX
North Las Vegas , NV – Aliante Station 16 with IMAX

Brooklyn , NY – Sheepshead Bay 14 with IMAX
Deer Park , NY – Deer Park Stadium 16 and IMAX
New Rochelle , NY – New Roc City Stadium 18 + IMAX
Williamsville , NY – Transit Center Stadium 18 +IMAX

Columbus , OH – Easton Town Center 30 with IMAX
Springdale , OH – Showcase Springdale 18 IMAX

Bensalem , PA – Neshaminy 24 with IMAX
Homestead , PA – Waterfront 22 with IMAX
Philadelphia , PA – Tuttleman IMAX – Franklin Institute
Tarentum , PA – Pittsburgh Mills Mall 17 + IMAX

Myrtle Beach , SC – IMAX Discovery Theatre *

Chattanooga , TN – Tennessee Aquarium *
Knoxville , TN – Pinnacle Stadium Cinemas 17 + IMAX

Colleyville , TX – Colleyville Cinema Grille & IMAX
Garland , TX – Firewheel 18 with IMAX
Houston , TX – Gulf Pointe 30 with IMAX
Mesquite , TX – Mesquite 30 with IMAX
Sugarland , TX – First Colony 24 with IMAX

Sandy , UT – Jordan Commons 16 + IMAX

Midlothian , VA – Commonwealth Stadium 20 with IMAX
Virginia Beach , VA – Lynnhaven 18 with IMAX
Woodbridge , VA – Potomac Mills 18 with IMAX

Kent , WA – Kent Station 14 with IMAX
Lacey , WA – Martin Village Stadium 16 + IMAX

Canada

Hull , QC – Canadian Museum Of Civilization *
Victoria , BC – National Geographic Theater *

For more info and a full list of theaters and tickets visit imax.com.

dalyr95

Cheers, should of really googled as it was the first result from: star trek trailer music.

Still can't wait for the Blu-Ray, day 1 purchase

Looks like Star Trek coming back to IMAX theaters this past week didn't really work. It came in 26th place this weekend making around $400,000.

Solo

As I posted in the HD movie thread - Star Trek gets rave review at DVD Beaver. Phew! I was hoping and praying that they wouldnt fuck up this transfer, and they haven't.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews48/star_trek_XI_blu-ray.htm

DVD Beaver said:
"J. J. Abrams 2009 film 'Star Trek' looks absolutely fabulous on Blu-ray. The director himself is noted saying "...for people who didn't catch Star Trek in the theater, I hope they do now, as Paramount has done an exceptional job with this release; the picture and sound quality are both excellent." This is hard to dispute. It has a fine sheen of grain to give it some texture and colors - blues, reds and Orion slave-girl greens, showing prominence. The camera wobbles a bit - I'll assume an intentional effect - and hence not every shot is pristinely detailed. There are plenty of obtuse camera angles - often starting a scene and effects are generally magnificent. The timing and flow of the film seem precisely obtained and this really benefits the visual transitions. The feature takes up almost 40 Gig with a strong video bitrate. This is a totally flawless transfer that has some desirable depth of field, shows a sturdiness through the thick image, limited gloss, is spotlessly clean, and has not even a hint of boosting, DNR, moiring or edge-enhancements - at all. The CG work is seamless. It is perfect and may very well be one of the best looking Blu-ray of the entire year."

DVD Beaver said:
"This Blu-ray package is one of the best of the year and include in that the very reasonable price. Paramount certainly aren't gouging. For Home Theater devotees this is another essential that we highly endorse. Enjoy!"

large_star_trek_blu-ray12.jpg

Nice!

tribal24

Banned
just got the blu ray and wow really exciting movie and i use to think star trek was boring, but this movie was just paced so well

This is a totally flawless transfer that has some desirable depth of field, shows a sturdiness through the thick image, limited gloss, is spotlessly clean, and has not even a hint of boosting, DNR, moiring or edge-enhancements - at all.

wtf does ANY of that mean

XiaNaphryz

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Teh Hamburglar said:
wtf does ANY of that mean
That reviewer doesn't even know. It's "moire".

DrForester said:
It's gotten the Japanese Seal Of Approval. Ships are now Anime Girls.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb261/daedalus02/Starships/jj-ent.jpg[img]

[img]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb261/daedalus02/Starships/narada.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
I'd ram my Kelvin into that Narada.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Not too surprising, but it should prove to be fun.

Next up on Rifftrax...

Like the odometer on your 1984 Plymouth Reliant rolling back over to zero, the Star Trek series gets a reset! The previous thirty-eight films had barely begun to scratch the surface of these fascinating characters, and so Star Trek is back to answer all your burning questions: What’s Scotty’s favorite brand of bacon? Why does no one seize the moment and slap the hell out of Chekov? Why does Uhura jam that huge piece of machined steel into her ear? Was Spock’s mom younger than him, and which uncle taught him that nerve pinchy thing?

A tour de force of shameless retconning, Star Trek nevertheless introduces a bold new sci-fi innovation: time travel! And black holes! And characters meeting themselves! And ice planets! And evil nemeses who vow revenge! And ship flybys! These are by themselves very compelling reasons to watch, but Star Trek gives you an even more compelling one—to learn Uhura’s first name. Sure, you never knew she didn’t have a first name, it was never an issue for you, and you haven’t even given it one millisecond’s thought, but at last you get to find out! (It’s Nyota, by the way.)

Mike, Kevin and Bill self-consciously tug down their red Federation uniform tops and go boldly into Star Trek!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got the Amazon gif pack and the packaging is awesome. Box has "The United Federation of Planets is proud to present you with this commemorative replica of its newest flagship, the starship Enterprise, on the occasion of her maiden voyage" with the federation logo and NCC - 1701 printed on it. and the ship itself looks even better than the picture.

41yyZDVUhbL._SS400_.jpg

XiaNaphryz

DrForester said:
Got the Amazon gif pack and the packaging is awesome. Box has "The United Federation of Planets is proud to present you with this commemorative replica of its newest flagship, the starship Enterprise, on the occasion of her maiden voyage" with the federation logo and NCC - 1701 printed on it. and the ship itself looks even better than the picture.
Pics damnit!

XiaNaphryz

Going through some of the making of clips right now. Can't help but laugh at the sequence with JJ going "Nice flaaare!" "Nice flaaare!" "The flare's good!"

The movie is Epicly beautiful on 60+ inch screens. by a factor of 10!

Anyway, I praise paramount and the new rebooted Star Trek for introducing me to Two Steps From Hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom