• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Bethesda will announce Skyrim remaster at E3

inki

I'd buy a Neo version of Skyrim with Mod support. I got over 100 hours in the original game and I'll probably go another route and get 100 more. Well worth it to me. Even at dare I say $60 ($48 GCU).

Syntsui

This will only be justified if there are some significant enhancements and mods. Otherwise, I don't think there are many people left that didn't play it already.

I don't see any way Bethesda will make Skyrim look better than the mods already out there. Sorry, I just don't. (Unless they steal them!)

Teepo671

Oooh, this is a remaster I'd snap up in an instant if it turns out to be true. Never got around to trying any of the dlc content so this would be the perfect opportunity to play through my favorite ES game and check out all the extra stuff they added with the expansions.

Ugh. Enough with the remasters already. Its year three of the gen, how about make some new games?

I'm starting to think of remasters like I think of movies. When I get a 4K TV, am I going to complain about picking up a 4K version of Terminator 2? Hell no.

Preservation is a huge problem in the industry. I think keeping classic games updated and, more importantly, playable as technology evolves is an important thing. How many classic games are there that are completely out of print, not available digitally, and impossible to play? This is one area where I think iterative, forward-compatible consoles are going to be a huge benefit. Until we get there, though, remasters it is.

As for Skyrim specifically, I'm not excited for it. It's my least-favourite Elder Scrolls and I'd much rather see Morrowind remade. But I can still understand the need to re-release it, especially for people who only played it on consoles (one of which was unplayable).

If this is true, I'll pass. Played the game years ago and enjoyed it, but don't see any reason to play through it again. A new Elder Scrolls, on the other hand...

No way this will be 60fps.

I'm hoping there's one or two new ideas that they are implementing in ES6 that will make it in this version of Skyrim. Maybe some new mechanic for combat. It's highly unlikely, but that would be my only pie in the sky hope for this. I have a feeling it's just improved visuals and mod support, though.

Rellik

I don't see any way Bethesda will make Skyrim look better than the mods already out there. Sorry, I just don't. (Unless they steal them!)

I doubt this is going to be on the PC. It's for consoles, where mods never existed for this game.

If they do bring over mod support, I hope someone ports the Nicolas Cage mask. It's just not the same game without it.

72850_screenshots_201z8zw0.jpg

zma1013

Makes sense financially for Bethesda. But if I want to play Skyrim with better graphics I already can. https://youtu.be/P5YcJ7XdZic

People without mega computers will have a difficult time with the more advanced graphics mods and hi-res textures. That and the process of modding can lead to some, erm, undesirable oddities the popup when incompatible things are put together.

If, and it's a big if, If Bethesda can put out a decent running, better looking Skyrim that one can just popin and play without dealing with mod issues or worry about how a 4K spoon texture will effect the framerate, there probably a subset of people that may like them essentially doing all the work on system that will indeed run it.

That being said, I don't have faith in Bethesdas abilities to deliver on this front.

I do wonder though if they are going to be fixing all the issues that the unoffical patches and other QOL improvements the community has made over the years to the actual gameplay?

I honestly don't think they've made enough graphical improvement in their engine to warrant a remaster of Skyrim. At least if Fallout 4 is any indication.

zma1013

I honestly don't think they've made enough graphical improvement in their engine to warrant a remaster of Skyrim. At least if Fallout 4 is any indication.

How is the animation in Fallout 4? Are people still weird robotic creatures that ice skate across the land? That was always their biggest visual problem, the bad animations.

Lucreto

I already got the Platinum but I would play it again just for the dlc. The hearthfire dlc come out after I finished playing it and never got to build my house.

PulseONE

Skyrim + mods was one of my most played games of all time, if they add mod support and ESPECIALLY if it has PSVR support, I'm in

If not, eh

Hazanko

Banned
If it allows console mods I might get it. It's a really shallow RPG though, so don't really have an urge to play it again.

93xfan

Banned
You can spin it however you want but those developers could be doing something else. They could be making a new smaller creativs IP.

It's just lame cause all these remasters feel to soon. they are hardly even "remasters" either many are just PC ports.

If they wanted t go back and remaster an earlier ES game I'd be all for it but it feels like many just played Skyrim to death not long ago.

I look at it like it came out on underpowered hardware last gen and we never got the experience we should have.

GlamFM

Banned
Morrowind or I rage.

Rage!

A remaster of Morrowind would be an absolutely herculean effort.

And I'm not talking about the graphics.

Morrowind's engine has no Occlusion Culling or any semblance of Binary Space Partitioning. This necessitates the five-feet-in-front-of-your-face fog, as the engine is literally rendering EVERYTHING within (and beyond) that fog distance without ANY BSP logic telling it to not render what the player can't see. The only closest thing is the Cells system, but that's for memory management, not rendering

Yes, that's right. Morrowind's engine is absent of a rendering technique that was revolutionized in Doom almost a decade before. That's like Unity's lack of High Dynamic Range - Except worse since this is a MAJOR performance killer instead of "muh graphics" moaning.

That is the SINGLE biggest performance killer in Morrowind, especially if you use a mod that increases view distance, as it will render LITERALLY EVERYTHING within the player's view distance radius, all three hundred and sixty degrees around, with NOTHING un-rendered. This shit kicks the ass of even the most powerful PCs to this day. You'd need the Avatar rendering farm to run it at a solid framerate with a high view distance.

Also - Some parts of the engine make use of a pre-X86 instruction set and a handful of long since deprecated X86 instructions. This wasn't an issue back in 2002 - Pentium 4 and other processors still supported them natively. Modern processors can still run them, but anything newer than Pentium D has to emulate these instructions, which is yet another drain on performance, even if minor.

Those engine issues alone are the biggest barriers to a Morrowind remaster. The gaming mainstream would TRASH it if it still had that damned fog - And to get rid of that fog would require serious heavy lifting beyond the scope of pretty much every remaster.

...Also if the combat is to remain intact, it's absolutely mandatory that they would program an animation system in akin to KOTOR's that SHOWS every single dodge and parry in detail instead of what it looks like now - Otherwise the mainstream would absolutely MOCK the game AGAIN* over the combat being two people standing in place wildly waving their swords at eachother back and forth at point blank CLEARLY hitting eachother, but arbitrarily missing because the game said so.

*(You want to know why Oblivion got rid of dice-roll combat? Because Morrowind's flaccid combat became one of the biggest memes of the gaming world back then and to this very day in mockery of Bethesda. That's not something to be proud of. So they took the easy route and just simply gutted RNG for the sequel)

whiteape

Ugh. Enough with the remasters already. Its year three of the gen, how about make some new games?

Currently it looks like PS4 and XB1 are evolving platforms. Which means the OS will last and evolve over many years if not even decades. No more new completely new operating systems written from scratch, more like Windows on PCs.

It only makes sense to have your bestseller games available on these platforms, because they're going to last.

Ugh, of course it'd be just Skyrim on its own. These HD remasters are getting stingier by the day. I'd have gladly bought a collection if they'd included Oblivion as well since that really doesn't hold up well nowadays.

Soodanim

I'm still more than happy with Skyrim on PC. I tried to get back into Fallout 4 but it crashed and I got bored and fed up, then Tale of Two Wastelands (Fallout 3 in New Vegas) crashed so I got bored and started a new Skyrim save with SkyRe and a plethora of other tweaks. I don't even use graphical mods.

If the console remaster gets mods, someone needs to make sure AutoHarvest goes over if at all possible. It's the best QOL mod you will ever find, and it's as cheaty or not cheaty as you want it to be.

shandy706

People without mega computers will have a difficult time with the more advanced graphics mods and hi-res textures.

A GTX 660 or better is more than enough for a beautifully modded Skyrim.

It wouldn't take much to play it at jaw dropping settings.

Currently it looks like PS4 and XB1 are evolving platforms. Which means the OS will last and evolve over many years if not even decades. No more new completely new operating systems written from scratch, more like Windows on PCs.

It only makes sense to have your bestseller games available on these platforms, because they're going to last.

Exactly. The sooner the better for Bethesda to get their best sellers on these consoles. I wouldn't be surprised to see Oblivion before too long, even Morrowind.

I refuse to ever buy another Bethesda game on consoles.

I have a good computer, but still prefer doing the bulk of my gaming on consoles. I just play Diablo/Overwatch/MMOs on PC these days. I would love a good looking 60 FPS Skyrim on PS4. I would actually finish the game and all of its DLC this time, but I have zero faith in this company.

DMTripper

I recently modded my pc version with ENB's, texture packs all the bells and whistles... But it's still the same game. I honestly couldn't go through it again as played over 100 hours on PS3.

Really wish I never played it before! It'll be great for those that haven't :)

I could see Bethesda adding a survival mode kind of like Fallout New Vegas. That would change it up a bit.

I would dig that a lot. And hopefully they found a way to have it visually like Fallout 4 because I doubt Skyrim stood the test of time, especially the faces. Hell those look pretty bad for most characters in Fallout 4 as well. But still clearly better.

I have very little faith in a remaster form Bethesda.... Fallout 4 looked like a 2009 game that came out in 2015. Unless they have been working on a new engine and are putting it to the test with a Skyrim remaster, then I'm going to remain skeptical. Fallout 4, as much as I love it, has soured me on Bethesda's ability to stay relevant in an industry that has evolved around what initially wowed me in their earlier games.

zma1013

I already got the Platinum but I would play it again just for the dlc. The hearthfire dlc come out after I finished playing it and never got to build my house.

Don't worry, hearthfire dlc was sent out unfinished and borked and even the stuff that worked was half baked. It's not half as interesting as you'd think it would be. You didn't miss much.

Hopefully they improve it in the new version.

Copper

How is the animation in Fallout 4? Are people still weird robotic creatures that ice skate across the land? That was always their biggest visual problem, the bad animations.

In some cases yes. The biggest improvement was the lighting.

Top Bottom