• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Elgato HD60 leaked, $179.99 and exclusive to Best Buy

For those who owned Elgato in the past. What is the best software to use for editing? Rather not get into expensive software like Adobe. Something simple.

My usually software refuses to fully edit anything from Elgato, which seems strange since it fully supports H.264 (MP4 & TS).

I would go with either Adobe Premiere Elements or Sony Movie Studio. Both have it's pros and cons but check with people who are actually editing Elgato footage to get a clear picture.

Smokey

I uploaded my first capture yesterday. Playing Madden 15.

Quality looks good to me. 1080p+60fps takes up a ton of space, but it is worth it for the quality. I also did a short stream and quality was nice there as well. Still in the early stages of messing around, but so far I like what I see. No manual, but it is easy to use. The only issue I had was HDCP on the PS4. I had to turn that off. I was stuck for about 10 minutes trying to figure out why the monitor was black and the capture software telling me my PS4 wasn't connected. That could explained a little better. My only complaint to this point.

@Wreck

Quality looks good to me. 1080p+60fps takes up a ton of space, but it is worth it for the quality. I also did a short stream and quality was nice there as well. Still in the early stages of messing around, but so far I like what I see. No manual, but it is easy to use. The only issue I had was HDCP on the PS4. I had to turn that off. I was stuck for about 10 minutes trying to figure out why the monitor was black and the capture software telling me my PS4 wasn't connected. That could explained a little better. My only complaint to this point.

Hey Smokey

can i please see your setup (like a pic)

i'm still waiting for it to be available in Canada just wondering what else i need to setup a stream

You would think Elgato would at least put that on a piece of paper or something to notify PS4 owners of the HDCP switch in the settings. I will say that your video is really good. The only thing I am confused about is that most of the videos that I have viewed from the Elgato HD60 on YouTune are very choppy and not so smooth. Did you have to do anything major in Post to keep your quality smooth and crisp?

You would think Elgato would at least put that on a piece of paper or something to notify PS4 owners of the HDCP switch in the settings. I will say that your video is really good. The only thing I am confused about is that most of the videos that I have viewed from the Elgato HD60 on YouTune are very choppy and not so smooth. Did you have to do anything major in Post to keep your quality smooth and crisp?

I've seen it as well, even on all of Eurogamer's RAW capture footage, (its a separate download, not YouTube), the Forza 5 video is the worst offender. It seems that Elgato's software or hardware can't handle max bitrate at the moment. I hope it's in the software, but you never know. So far I haven't seen a single footage that didn't have that issue at max bitrate, and I haven't seen any footage with a lower one.

@Smokey, maybe you can try to capture a lower bitrate game play footage to see if the choppiness disappears, and tell us the result of the bitrate you used?

Smokey

Hey Smokey

can i please see your setup (like a pic)

i'm still waiting for it to be available in Canada just wondering what else i need to setup a stream

At work but I can describe it to you. This is all on a long desk in front of me:

Asus 23" monitor to my left. PS4 is behind it with HDMI plugged into Elgato. The Elgato is to the right of the PS4. HDMI out to the Asus monitor and the USB cable connected to my PC on the right side of the desk. My primary monitor is straight ahead.

This is my setup and it works well for me.

The only thing I am confused about is that most of the videos that I have viewed from the Elgato HD60 on YouTune are very choppy and not so smooth. Did you have to do anything major in Post to keep your quality smooth and crisp?

No I didn't do anything special. I didn't know this was an issue until your brought it up. That is odd though.

@Smokey, maybe you can try to capture a lower bitrate game play footage to see if the choppiness disappears, and tell us the result of the bitrate you used?

My video seems smooth to me and I think ShadowKingpin is indicating the same. I believe I made that video with max bitrate or very close to it.

I did have a really bad issue a few days ago where my game would literally freeze.

Here's a video I made showing the bad performance

I was having that terrible performance even when I wasn't recording. So I hooked the PS4 directly up to my monitor and the problem instantly went away.

Edit: the above seems to be a Madden issue and not a Elgato issue

Ok, My elgato broke after barely using it. Really not happy about it. Dunno whether to replace it with the new one or get something else.

Pluses for the elgato

Almost plug and play
Compact
bbundled software was enough to stream to twitch.

Cons

No indication it was working on the device itself
Felt flimsy and cheap.
Obviously not durable.

What are my other options? Is there anything in the same price range that supports both old gen and next gen consoles @1080p60

I was looking at the HD PVR 2 but is it just more of the same?

@Wreck

At work but I can describe it to you. This is all on a long desk in front of me:

Asus 23" monitor to my left. PS4 is behind it with HDMI plugged into Elgato. The Elgato is to the right of the PS4. HDMI out to the Asus monitor and the USB cable connected to my PC on the right side of the desk. My primary monitor is straight ahead.

oh thats very helpful thanks!

Raptomex

So I have the HD60 which works great. I still have the original Game Capture HD as well. Since I downloaded the new software, however, I've been having an issue recording composite with my original Game Capture HD. The software doesn't show anything on-screen, just black. Anybody else having this issue? It was working with the old software. Should I redownload that?

No I didn't do anything special. I didn't know this was an issue until your brought it up. That is odd though.

My video seems smooth to me and I think ShadowKingpin is indicating the same. I believe I made that video with max bitrate or very close to it.

I did have a really bad issue a few days ago where my game would literally freeze.

I was having that terrible performance even when I wasn't recording. So I hooked the PS4 directly up to my monitor and the problem instantly went away.

Ok, thanks. Maybe you can update the thread once you play some other game, too see if it might be an issue. Also, do you stream at all? Because some people are reporting audio sync issues especially after a longer period of time, or just flat out not working properly.

benjarnin

Neo Member
Ok, My elgato broke after barely using it. Really not happy about it. Dunno whether to replace it with the new one or get something else.

Pluses for the elgato

Almost plug and play
Compact
bbundled software was enough to stream to twitch.

Cons

No indication it was working on the device itself
Felt flimsy and cheap.
Obviously not durable.

What are my other options? Is there anything in the same price range that supports both old gen and next gen consoles @1080p60

I was looking at the HD PVR 2 but is it just more of the same?
I have an HD PVR 2 and its not bad but not that great. Only records up to 720p60 (or 1080p30) at a max bitrate of 14.5mbps. The video, due to the low max bitrate, has a noticable amount of blocking. It's a good entry capture card tho if you don't care about quality

I have an HD PVR 2 and its not bad but not that great. Only records up to 720p60 (or 1080p30) at a max bitrate of 14.5mbps. The video, due to the low max bitrate, has a noticable amount of blocking. It's a good entry capture card tho if you don't care about quality

Thanks. My main thing is streaming. I cant see me capturing many videos outside maybe some bayo 2.

I just dont want to buy a capture device thats gonna crap out on me within a week. What about an internal card? Are they any better?

Very interesting. Yeah, I have found a few more videos on YouTube that actually ran really well, but the majority are slightly choppy. I'll have to run some tests on my end to see if I can get a good result since my Elgato comes in on Friday. I'll do a test video at max bitrate and throw it into YouTube. What program and format did you export your videos in?

LtOrange

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I have been having. I have been trying to stream using the HD60, but I have been running into a weird issue. Every 3 seconds or so my stream does this screen flicker. It does it consistently no matter what is going on in game. I get the flicker if I am in a menu or a high action scene. This issue doesn't happen when I am recording only when I am trying to stream.

Info:
- 5 upload
- i5 2500k
- 3.0 bitrate. I have tried different settings and still get the flickering.

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I have been having. I have been trying to stream using the HD60, but I have been running into a weird issue. Every 3 seconds or so my stream does this screen flicker. It does it consistently no matter what is going on in game. I get the flicker if I am in a menu or a high action scene. This issue doesn't happen when I am recording only when I am trying to stream.

Info:
- 5 upload
- i5 2500k

If you are doing 1080p/60fps, that's probably why. The website says that an i7 is required for streaming and you have an i5. For recording at 1080/60, a second gen i5 and above is needed, so that's probably where you are having issues. Have you at least tried 720/60 for streaming? Also, lower your bitrate to 2 and see if that does anything.

LtOrange

If you are doing 1080p/60fps, that's probably why. The website says that an i7 is required for streaming and you have an i5. For recording at 1080/60, a second gen i5 and above is needed, so that's probably where you are having issues. Have you at least tried 720/60 for streaming? Also, lower your bitrate to 2 and see if that does anything.

I set it at 720/30 with lower bitrates and the flicker is still there.

I have been able to get decent streams using Shadowplay on my PC, so I am guessing it is a CPU issue.

I set it at 720/30 with lower bitrates and the flicker was still there. I am guessing it has something to do with my PC not being strong enough.

I get my Elgato tomorrow and I will run some tests. I have an i5 as well (3470) and I'll see if I get the same issues.

Smokey

Very interesting. Yeah, I have found a few more videos on YouTube that actually ran really well, but the majority are slightly choppy. I'll have to run some tests on my end to see if I can get a good result since my Elgato comes in on Friday. I'll do a test video at max bitrate and throw it into YouTube. What program and format did you export your videos in?

Movie maker in Windows. I also have a beefy CPU -- i7 4930k 6 core/12 threads. I record at 1080p/60fps. A couple days ago I was recording and also streaming to Ustream at the max bit rate + 1080p. Task Manager showed CPU usage at 70% even while doing all of these things. So maybe the CPU plays a large role in how smooth videos are recorded or encoded? I haven't had any issues at all.

Movie maker in Windows. I also have a beefy CPU -- i7 4930k 6 core/12 threads. I record at 1080p/60fps. A couple days ago I was recording and also streaming to Ustream at the max bit rate + 1080p. Task Manager showed CPU usage at 70% even while doing all of these things. So maybe the CPU plays a large role in how smooth videos are recorded or encoded? I haven't had any issues at all.

Damn that is kind of insane, good thing I decided to go for the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable, seems to be a "little" bit lighter on the cpu, the HD60 would have killed my laptop lol. Do you stream and record with different or same bit rates? Also do you add a webcam to it as well? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious as I'm going to buy a new PC sometime next year and so far the Elgato HD60 has the best image quality.

dankir

elgato is a german company they are all on vacation now (i work with the german division of my company and nobody is around lol)

i'm waiting for the Canadian release now bahhhh

Tell me about it, all of Europe basically shuts down for August. I work for a German company. Amazes how things get done otherwise.

@Wreck

Tell me about it, all of Europe basically shuts down for August. I work for a German company. Amazes how things get done otherwise.

haha thats it things don't get done haha or or they give it to you to do (in this case me)

*sigh*

i've emailed them they keep saying:

SEP 03, 2014 | 03:20PM PDT
Brian replied:
Hi @Wreck,

Thank you for contacting Elgato Systems. The software has been released for the Mac: https://www.elgato.com/en/game-capture-hd-support

As to the availability in Canada, we're hoping the item will be more widely available shortly but I do not have an exact date.
Regards,

Brian
Elgato Systems

FaintDeftone

Anybody test this thing with retro consoles? I may upgrade from my Hauppauge PVR2 if this thing can knock out retro consoles well. I'm liking the built in streaming software. I'm tired of paying for xSplit.

So I'm going to want to introduce myself to streaming once Smash for Wii U arrives. Would this be the best thing to stream as well as record high quality video/audio for critiquing purposes after the fact? Seeing a lot of mixed reviews in here.

So I'm going to want to introduce myself to streaming once Smash for Wii U arrives. Would this be the best thing to stream as well as record high quality video/audio for critiquing purposes after the fact? Seeing a lot of mixed reviews in here.

Elgato is the top of the line capture card. You can't beat its quality. The only downside is it needs a more powerful PC (Pretty good CPU, RAM & fast HDD), so make sure your computer has at least a second generation i5 CPU or get something else (HD PVR 2 and what not).

dankir

Elgato is the top of the line capture card. You can't beat its quality. The only downside is it needs a more powerful PC (Pretty good CPU, RAM & fast HDD), so make sure your computer has at least a second generation i5 CPU or get something else (HD PVR 2 and what not).

Well I'm planing to use the new Elgato HD60 to stream and capture PS4, X1, Wii U and console footage.

I have a i5 laptop windows 8 (probably 2 years old) Use Vegas pro to edit videos on it.

You mention the powerful PC specs that would be for what streaming at 1080p / 60 FPS?

Smokey

Well I'm planing to use the new Elgato HD60 to stream and capture PS4, X1, Wii U and console footage.

I have a i5 laptop windows 8 (probably 2 years old) Use Vegas pro to edit videos on it.

You mention the powerful PC specs that would be for what streaming at 1080p / 60 FPS?

And most likely recording. I dont think you can stream 60fps to Ustream or twitch anywyay? When I'm recording the Elgato software will show 1080/60fps. Soon as I click stream button it goes to 1080/30.

I also have the HD PVR 2. The Elgato is far better imo. Produces a better capture,60fps, and the software is more powerful .

LtOrange

I feel like I am getting deeper and deeper down this rabbit hole, but let's say I want to upgrade my CPU for streaming. What would you guys recommend?

dankir

And most likely recording. I dont think you can stream 60fps to Ustream or twitch anywyay? When I'm recording the Elgato software will show 1080/60fps. Soon as I click stream button it goes to 1080/30.

I also have the HD PVR 2. The Elgato is far better imo. Produces a better capture,60fps, and the software is more powerful .

OKay I see what mean. I'll be uploading videos to Youtube and streaming as well. Doesn't really bother me that I can't stream at 60FPS. But this thing is cheap so just start selling it in Canada El Gato....

Hurry the fuck up. I'm going to pick up a Blue Yeti Microphone, read mostly positive reviews, anybody here have one?

@Wreck

OKay I see what mean. I'll be uploading videos to Youtube and streaming as well. Doesn't really bother me that I can't stream at 60FPS. But this thing is cheap so just start selling it in Canada El Gato....

Hurry the fuck up. I'm going to pick up a Blue Yeti Microphone, read mostly positive reviews, anybody here have one?

blue yeti is excellent (bought it for work audio recordings)

depending on mic placement you might want a spit guard too

..Hurry the fuck up. I'm going to pick up a Blue Yeti Microphone, read mostly positive reviews, anybody here have one?

I own an AT-4040 & Blue Yeti and for a USB mic, the Blue Yeti is excellent. Don't feel pressured to nab the Blue Yeti Pro unless you have a mixer of some sort. It's a worthy investment, my friend.

What's the point of even getting a composite adapter if the software doesn't even capture a damn thing?

I recently bought a Game Capture HD (not the new HD60, as that doesn't even support the older stuff) specifically on the expectation that composite and older systems would work.

They don't.

I have been trying for a couple weeks now, Retro Game Adapter included, to capture old game consoles, and all I get is a black screen and no response.

Do I have a defective device or did elgato shut out older systems from their new software without telling anyone?

Thanks. This helps a bunch. I'll be sure to buy this when I'm able.

What's the point of even getting a composite adapter if the software doesn't even capture a damn thing?

I recently bought a Game Capture HD (not the new HD60, as that doesn't even support the older stuff) specifically on the expectation that composite and older systems would work.

They don't.

I have been trying for a couple weeks now, Retro Game Adapter included, to capture old game consoles, and all I get is a black screen and no response.

Do I have a defective device or did elgato shut out older systems from their new software without telling anyone?

I can't say from experience since I have never tried to record retro game consoles. The only thing the website says about it is:

"Elgato Game Capture HD 1.2.1 software is needed to play the full assortment of consoles, especially those older ones that output in 240i.

Atari Jaguar
Microsoft Xbox 360
Microsoft Xbox
Microsoft Xbox One
Nintendo Wii U
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo GameCube
Nintendo 64 (N64)
Super Nintendo (SNES)
Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Saturn
Sega Genesis (Mega Drive)
Sega Master System
Sony PlayStation 4 (PS4)
Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3)
Sony PlayStation 2 (PS2)
Sony PlayStation 1 (PS1, PSone)"

http://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/1020266-what-game-consoles-can-work-with-elgato-game-capture-hd-

Mystic654

Anyone look at the actual videofiles to see the actual framerate video records at?

Xbox 360 - 60.000FPS (at all times, even games that run at 30)
PS3 - 59.940FPS (Only games that run at 60 FPS, if not it will record at 29.970)
PS4 - 59.940FPS (only have one game that runs at 60, can't do much testing)
XB1 - 59.940 (only have one game that runs at 60, can't do much testing)
Satellite TV - 59.940 (59.940 on 1080P and 720p, 29.970 on everything else)

It's kind of odd I'm getting two different framerates from same kind of source(360/PS3).

Anyone look at the actual videofiles to see the actual framerate video records at?

Xbox 360 - 60.000FPS (at all times, even games that run at 30)
PS3 - 59.940FPS (Only games that run at 60 FPS, if not it will record at 29.970)
PS4 - 59.940FPS (only have one game that runs at 60, can't do much testing)
XB1 - 59.940 (only have one game that runs at 60, can't do much testing)
Satellite TV - 59.940 (59.940 on 1080P and 720p, 29.970 on everything else)

It's kind of odd I'm getting two different framerates from same kind of source(360/PS3).

That's really weird. I'll mess with it tomorrow since my Elgato is delivered to my house mid-day.

Mystic654

Info:
- 5 upload
- i5 2500k

Your not the only one. It seems like a current issue with the software, going have to wait a bit until Elgato irons out all the bugs with new software and HD60.

I'm running an i7 4930k and got flicker as well. Tried from 5MBS to 3MBS (my upstream is 15).

I got one question, the Xbox One and PS4 have both native Twitch apps,
what would be the benefits of it streaming with the HD60, except the 1080p@60hz stuff?
Most games are capped at 30 fps no?
Why should I use the HD60?, I could understand that with the last gen consoles, because they had no native Twitch apps, but here it is a little bit obsolete, or am I thinking wrong?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I got one question, the Xbox One and PS4 have both native Twitch apps,
what would be the benefits of it streaming with the HD60, except the 1080p@60hz stuff?
Most games are capped at 30 fps no?
Why should I use the HD60?, I could understand that with the last gen consoles, because they had no native Twitch apps, but here it is a little bit obsolete, or am I thinking wrong?

The main things I dislike about teh PS4 streaming (dunno about X1):

1: You lose full screen on the game you're trying to play.
2: You're stuck with Sony's default stream look.
3: Quality's not as good. (You're limited on the bitrate and resolution options.)

Here's an example of some Destiny streaming I did off the native app:
http://youtu.be/tR7SkD683YQ

What you see there is exactly what you see while you're streaming.

Compare that to a direct stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za8clNVgRRs

That's off the older Elgato. (Though somewhat hurt by being a dump from Twitch's server then pushed through YouTube's compression for good measure) Paired up with OBS or Xsplit, I can structure the presentation however I like and opt to stream at a variety of quality settings add in a skype call add in other video sources and so on.

Top Bottom