• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Elgato HD60 leaked, $179.99 and exclusive to Best Buy

jwk94

http://www.shortpause.com/blog/2014/8/10/elgato-gaming-set-to-release-their-next-game-capture-card

Looks pretty nice although I don't like it being exclusive to BB.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
to jump onboard with the new model or hope for a price cut as outlets clear stock on the old model? hmmm

Fracas

#fuckonami
I could see this being good for capturing, but what's the point for streaming when PS4/XB1 have the capability built in?

antibolo

Banned
Probably USB 3 in order to pull 60 fps 1080p.

Also lack of mention of PS3 probably means it's now HDMI only. Too bad. The current Elgato is decent at capturing retro consoles.

Can it not capture PS3 footage?

You can capture PS3 over HDMI just fine if you have a HDCP stripper. But of course they're not allowed to say that.

Is that what 1080p/60FPS capture devices usually go for? I remember a number of people in the previous topic were saying there's no chance it'll be 1080/60 at a decent price. Seems pretty nice though but I don't know a ton about streaming. I might get into it sometime.

Reallink

Bizaar that an online centric device would be exclusive to BB. You would think the demo for these is savvy enough to do most of their shopping online.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is ElGato's USB3 1080p/60FPS entry, priced competitively with AverMedia's U3.

Figured as much. Price was what was about expected to (was figuring somewhere around 160-180).

Disappointed about the abandonment of a component option, even if it was an adapter like the U3. Still want to see what they have going for them.

malfcn

Time exclusive with retailer exclusive cables?
On a serious note, this is pretty huge good. Not sure because it was DSP..but he bought multiple devices and tried different software and they all had problems. Either it wasn't 60fps, it wouldn't work with some games, or the editing software didn't work.

Ridley327

Bizaar that an online centric device would be exclusive to BB. You would think the demo for these is savvy enough to do most of their shopping online.

Well, they could order it online from Best Buy's website.

Just sayin'...

Surprise they would bring out another one with both the PS4, and Xbox One having the ability to stream already.

Since those streams are limited to 720p/30fps, this does have some important advantages to consider.

Surprise they would bring out another one with both the PS4, and Xbox One having the ability to stream already.

Keep in mind that the PS4 and XBO's streaming capability is not flexible for a full blown stream production. If you want to use overlays, etc, having a good capture device is still necessary.

Anyway, Why there is no PS3 at catalog information?

Is PS3 HDCP locked?

Yes. Sony has not revisited this with a firmware patch ala the PS4.

It's not compatible with the first Xbox and ps2?

If they're not advertising PS3, then there's likely no component-in option. That would suck.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I could see this being good for capturing, but what's the point for streaming when PS4/XB1 have the capability built in?

Frankly the customization options and service choice on them suck and the quality is pretty shitty. I capture through the previous Elgato because of the quality I mean on the PS4 it blocks your dashboard and trophy notifications from view which just looks horrible and I can't stream to hitbox straight from either too.

vellatechie

Neo Member
Ahh, was about to post this in the existing elgato reveal thread. 3 days more for the official reveal I guess. I believe they must have gone for "GCHD60" since Avermedia has a model named GCHD. Also, I think once other well known makers like Avermedia, Blackmagic, Hauppaugue start releasing their revision of a 1080p60 external capture solution, this trend of every new product being listed at an MSRP of "$179.99" will drop to maybe $150. It will eventually happen. Same thing happened when the HD PVR burst into the scene and when Blackmagic followed with Intensity Shuttle, they had to drop down to $179.99 from $199.99.

Can it not capture PS3 footage?

Yes, still needs either a stripper or have to use component HD for capture/stream. All PS3's are HDCP compliant. Releasing a product that will strip HDCP at default maybe illegal for the maker. Can happen if SONY does indeed release a new firmware removing it, like they did for the PS4, but highly unlikely given the where we are in the PS3's lifecycle.

baphomet

Thankfully I just sold my old game capture HD today for $125.

Now to decide between this and the extremecap u3.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thankfully I just sold my old game capture HD today for $125.

Now to decide between this and the extremecap u3.

Yeah I just need to know if I can play through the capture software with minimal lag and I'm all over it otherwise I'll go for the extremecap u3.

Rubius

Pisses me off that I just bought a Elgato from eBay for the price of the new one. We will see what happen with this one but man.

Top Bottom