• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Leak claims Nintendo Switch 2 is using the newer Nvidia T254 SOC

Buggy Loop

Almost forgot... Ada's two biggest changes are the big increase in L2 cache and the OPA (used for Frame Gen in the gaming parts). Both are very expensive in terms of die space.

Frame gen doesn't make much sense on consoles

You need ~60 fps basically to kickoff a frame gen of good quality, which 60 fps native is already a unicorn to chase on consoles. What they would benefit from is the cache, but that's like you say, a lot of die space for little to no gain at a macro detail.

What Ampere tech would benefit is a die shrink and better fab. It's basically what made Ada so good, its basically ampere on better fab.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Summary of this week:
-Switch 2 is the first consumer grade quantum computer.
-Runs the matrix demo at 8k 600fps with path tracing
-DLSS then upgrades it to 16k 1200fps which will be supported by the 1200hz microled display with literally the brightness of the sun
-17 weeks of battery life on a 10 minutes charge
-$299

Sorry to quote you again , but I just want to point out the cycle here...

- Someone posts some crazy rumor about {whatever} thing.
- Some people have fun with it. 🤷‍♂️
- A year later when the actual thing comes out... Someone will make a link to a post like the one above and this thread as if everything was very serious stating ( Look .... It was very overhyped!!!! )

When in fact it's mostly the people who are against the {whatever} thing that are making up and pushing the outrageous claims in a serious manner . :messenger_dizzy:

What were the rumors for the switch?

Seems we get these pie in the sky specs and they always end up being well below when released.

chromhound

lying GIF

Jose92

[Membe
This sounds like a load of bullocks. How can the switch 2 Soc run the matrix demo at internal resolution of 1440p at max of 30watts and ps5 xsx couldn’t run it even at that resolution. Even if nvidia is way ahead of amd it is not that way ahead we talking about atleast 5 generations ahead. Sounds like a post written by dreams of a fanboy.

Woopah

What were the rumors for the switch?

Seems we get these pie in the sky specs and they always end up being well below when released.
With Switch we got some fairly accruate reporting from actual journalists, and with Switch 2 we have started getting those reports as well as actual stolen documents from Nvidia.

So I have no idea why we would listen to anonymous 4chan posts.

Last edited:
I was talking about Switch 1 games, or perhaps a crossgen one.
I doubt we've seen any Switch 2 game or cross-gen game yet. I think the Direct yesterday was all purely just Switch games and deliberately no glimpses at whatever might happen later in 2024. One last big Switch hurrah.

Let’s not forget that the console will be 399$ at most. You can check their pricing history if you want. Adjust at will.
$399 for sure, if it's even reasonably powerful compared to Switch. Which I think it will be. And maybe Nintendo's altering their model this upcoming generation and willing to take bit of a bath on hardware assuming software and subscription revenue for them continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

Raploz

This is pure BS and obviously fanfic. There's plenty recent evidence T239 is the chip and it's impossible for a single person to know so much about so many specific things unless they're the the CEO of Nintendo themselves.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Explain in DBZ terms.
Orange Piccolo. Stronger than the original, new and shiny, but still way behind the heavy hitters (and possibly still not equal to red super saiyan which is 1-2 transformations back) and only useful in specific situations where the heavy hitters aren't around but could end it all casually if they were. Has a technique or two that lets him punch above his level though.

Now down clock him so he doesn't risk running out of ki.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
lol@getting excited over new Nintendo hardware, as if it'll be anything remotely more than a small spec bump, Nintendo stopped being relevant (hardware/tech wise) years ago
Not believing this reddit post but this is not correct. Nintendo will balance power/revenue. It would be more expensive for them now and in the long term to just go for a small bump just due to available chips they can use.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Not believing this reddit post but this is not correct. Nintendo will balance power/revenue. It would be more expensive for them now and in the long term to just go for a small bump just due to available chips they can use.
Nintendo give up on the power race a long time ago, much to their credit they don't need massive amounts of GPU power to render the same damn games year in year out and flog them to the fans over and over again, with switch 2 I'm not expecting great things, they'll cheap out as they always do on the hardware end and rob you all blind on the software side

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo give up on the power race a long time ago, much to their credit they don't need massive amounts of GPU power to render the same damn games year in year out and flog them to the fans over and over again, with switch 2 I'm not expecting great things, they'll cheap out as they always do on the hardware end and rob you all blind on the software side
They didn't exactly cheap out on Switch, and if they wanted to cheap out on Switch 2 then they better get a good chip since old ones are already out of production and will be more expensive to produce as the time passes.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You speak as if each new game isn’t critically acclaimed as well as a top seller.

StereoVsn

This is pure BS and obviously fanfic. There's plenty recent evidence T239 is the chip and it's impossible for a single person to know so much about so many specific things unless they're the the CEO of Nintendo themselves.
What if the CEO is their uncle?

cSXoyYw.gif

But yeah, it's BS and fan fiction basically. Can you imagine battery life in handheld mode if the specs are correct? Is Nintendo going to offer a backpack accessory?

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Its evolving!

Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

You guys just don't learn.
tbh i don't need this thing to be the strongest tablet ever made, if Switch 2 can match the capabilities of an 8th generation console with upscaling tech and can get decent third party support(not all games of course,but some) at a good price me is happy,its already a massive jump over the current Switch

Of course if it goes even a little beyond that, its exciting 😁

Elfstar

See ya in the usual "Graphics are NOT important and we NEVER expected more than an half poweful Steam Deck anyway" post-reveal cope thread.

Astral Dog

They didn't exactly cheap out on Switch, and if they wanted to cheap out on Switch 2 then they better get a good chip since old ones are already out of production and will be more expensive to produce as the time passes.
The Switch, despite being barely above the Wii U at computing power (in undocked mode) benefited massively from Nvidia's tools and architecture,impossible ports, easy to code for, nothing strange or clumsy for developers the results speak for themselves and X1 was underclocked to save on battery life .

That's why im not worried about Switch 2 if they keep up the same strategy ,it should be sufficient to stay competitive on some level

Kataploom

Gold Member
The Switch, despite being barely above the Wii U at computing power (in undocked mode) benefited massively from Nvidia's tools and architecture,impossible ports, easy to code for, nothing strange or clumsy for developers the results speak for themselves and X1 was underclocked to save on battery life .

That's why im not worried about Switch 2 if they keep up the same strategy ,it should be sufficient to stay competitive on some level
That plus graphics diminishing return, they'll be just fine.

Boy bawang

This leak is complete bollocks, you'd have to be Furukawa's booty call to have access to such variety of information, and with such accuracy.

Moreover the T239 was still being worked on less than a year ago (we have proof in the Linux commits) and the chip was taped out 13 months ago at the latest (as found in a LinkedIn profile).

Finally, Atlan was cancelled because it used BlueField DPUs, chips literally made for data centers and Nvidia quickly realized that it made no sense in an automotive chip. And suddenly, they'd try to scavenge it for a consumer hybrid console? Give me a fucking break

There's no way that Nintendo would, at this point, decide to outright cancel t239 unless something went really, really wrong.

You'll get a t239 based switch 2 in 2024, it'll punch way above its weight thanks to DLSS and superior RTX cores, and the man-childs whose entire personality resides in the tflops of their big console will be extremely butthurt. But you're not getting the fairy tale console.

zeldaring

Banned
Last edited:
Sorry to quote you again , but I just want to point out the cycle here...

- Someone posts some crazy rumor about {whatever} thing.
- Some people have fun with it. 🤷‍♂️
- A year later when the actual thing comes out... Someone will make a link to a post like the one above and this thread as if everything was very serious stating ( Look .... It was very overhyped!!!! )

When in fact it's mostly the people who are against the {whatever} thing that are making up and pushing the outrageous claims in a serious manner . :messenger_dizzy:

We know as soon as the Switch successor is revealed and some games are shown that someone is going to do some crazy 10x zoom in on some random PS2ish looking background element from a game like Pokemon and the immediate response is going to be "remember when all the Nintendo fanboys were claiming this thing would have PS5 Pro level graphics".

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve been staring at this thread all afternoon, looking for the proper response… but I’m at a loss. This is one of the clearest, dumbest attempts to leak fake info.

I’m now mad at myself for even bumping this thread.

Marvel14

Banned
, I personally find the company to be a shower of bastards and woefully behind the times, but sure you go rescue Princess Peach for the 15th time ;-)
Romance Love GIF by LEGO

You've got our attention...and our reactions. Now run along and spend time discussing things you actually enjoy. There's a good boy.

Kakax11

Banned
This console could be PS5/XSX worst nightmare

3rd party games can't sell on the current consoles in those exclusive deals so they need PC to make profit, meanwhile releasing on Switch alone is enough let alone Switch 2 which makes PS5/XSX 2nd degree priority when developing the game and aim for the possible graphics features like SSD/RayTracing without killing the FPS

then Switch2 bust out DLSS 3 and get 120fps 4k everywhere

Del_X

If the matrix demo was running at 1440p internal like the leak claims this is going to be a very pricey handheld.
This console could be PS5/XSX worst nightmare

3rd party games can't sell on the current consoles in those exclusive deals so they need PC to make profit, meanwhile releasing on Switch alone is enough let alone Switch 2 which makes PS5/XSX 2nd degree priority when developing the game and aim for the possible graphics features like SSD/RayTracing without killing the FPS

then Switch2 bust out DLSS 3 and get 120fps 4k everywhere

The switch 2 doesn’t have an install base. I play primarily on PC and Switch currently but I don’t know how well a $399 or $499 (if the matrix demo was 1440p internal) is going to sell.

sachos

Summary of this week:
-Switch 2 is the first consumer grade quantum computer.
-Runs the matrix demo at 8k 600fps with path tracing
-DLSS then upgrades it to 16k 1200fps which will be supported by the 1200hz microled display with literally the brightness of the sun
-17 weeks of battery life on a 10 minutes charge
-$299
No BC? Trash.

Top Bottom