• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Leak claims Nintendo Switch 2 is using the newer Nvidia T254 SOC

Xellos

Known leaker with proven track record (kopite) says T239 is 8nm and the next day there's this 4chan post. Yeah, I'm not buying it. 8nm is a bummer but that's where I'm setting my expectations. It would still be a pretty good improvement over Switch 1.

MrA

Banned
With Switch we got some fairly accruate reporting from actual journalists, and with Switch 2 we have started getting those reports as well as actual stolen documents from Nvidia.

So I have no idea why we would listen to anonymous 4chan posts.
because they're more ridiculous?
We're going to get a console around PS4-level performance with a few boosts from modern architecture,
and not gonna lie
request GIF

4A Games Metro GIF by Deep Silver

red dead redemption 2 fire GIF by Rockstar Games

I can live with that

Sleepwalker

I want to believe and I would buy a 500-600 nintendo console day one lol.

But this is bullshit, its gonna be the other chip most likely.

Hopefully I eat crow.

It has BC too.
It actually has DLSS 9.0 which automatically remasters/remakes games. My sources say BoTW on Switch 2 looks and runs like a ps6 game. But since it's done with DLSS9.0 you can use the original Switch cartridge and you need no extra downloads or patches.

It runs everything at 200k Resolution

blacktout

This is bullshit. Reread the leak and think about who this dude would have to be in order to have the information he claims to have. He talks about the decision-making process within Nvidia and Nintendo as if he was present at discussions between the companies and has a full understanding of their negotiations and motivations. No one in such a significant position of responsibility within either company would go on 4chan and leak, not only because there would be no incentive to do so, but also because they'd be part of a tiny pool of potential suspects. Leaks like this that have an elaborate, compelling story and give a ton of context and backstory are almost always exactly what they read like: fan fiction.

The leaks that turn out to be true are limited in their scope and offer incomplete information, because real leakers are often people lower on the food chain who are only privy to specific information that's relevant to the context of their employment. It pays to ask not whether the contents of the leak are plausible (because that usually just means leaning on vague "common sense" about how we think companies should behave) but whether the context of the leak makes sense.

So, for example, I buy the Eurogamer/VGC reports about the Breath of the Wild and Matrix demos, because the chain of custody is crystal clear: Nintendo showed off target hardware for the Switch 2 to developers at Gamescom -> some of those developers spoke about what they saw to the press on the condition that they remain anonymous. The contents of those stories were strictly limited to the impressions of those developers and things they would have actually seen (which is why you get rough impressionistic comments comparing it to the PS5 or whatever instead of concrete performance information) and don't contain shit that third party devs wouldn't know (like pricing or the launch lineup).

Meanwhile, this is the exact opposite: there's no way to ascertain what this person's relationship to Nintendo or Nvidia is and no way to contextualize this information. It's all third person omniscient shit, which is a very efficient point-of-view when you're writing a novel or short story and want to give the reader as much information as possible, but makes no sense in the real world unless you're a fucking psychic or God.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
This is bullshit. Reread the leak and think about who this dude would have to be in order to have the information he claims to have. He talks about the decision-making process within Nvidia and Nintendo as if he was present at discussions between the companies and has a full understanding of their negotiations and motivations. No one in such a significant position of responsibility within either company would go on 4chan and leak, not only because there would be no incentive to do so, but also because they'd be part of a tiny pool of potential suspects. Leaks like this that have an elaborate, compelling story and give a ton of context and backstory are almost always exactly what they read like: fan fiction.

The leaks that turn out to be true are limited in their scope and offer incomplete information, because real leakers are often people lower on the food chain who are only privy to specific information that's relevant to the context of their employment. It pays to ask not whether the contents of the leak are plausible (because that usually just means leaning on vague "common sense" about how we think companies should behave) but whether the context of the leak makes sense.

So, for example, I buy the Eurogamer/VGC reports about the Breath of the Wild and Matrix demos, because the chain of custody is crystal clear: Nintendo showed off target hardware for the Switch 2 to developers at Gamescom -> some of those developers spoke about what they saw to the press on the condition that they remain anonymous. The contents of those stories were strictly limited to the impressions of those developers and things they would have actually seen (which is why you get rough impressionistic comments comparing it to the PS5 or whatever instead of concrete performance information) and don't contain shit that third party devs wouldn't know (like pricing or the launch lineup).

Meanwhile, this is the exact opposite: there's no way to ascertain what this person's relationship to Nintendo or Nvidia is and no way to contextualize this information. It's all third person omniscient shit, which is a very efficient point-of-view when you're writing a novel or short story and want to give the reader as much information as possible, but makes no sense in the real world unless you're a fucking psychic or God.
Or the butler or shifty mustacheod janitor

Kataploom

Gold Member
All I want is PS4/XBONE level power and I'll be fine with it
You'll get more than that. Current Switch is basically that with less brute force, it can punch above its weights a lot and it's currently just 30% to 35% Xbone in raw GPU performance and it won't make a jump smaller than 5x in GPU alone.

5x is around the leap from PS4 to PS5 and that was actually the smallest leap I've seen from one generation to the next one in terms of GPU raw perfomance. Before, we could see leaps from 8x to 10+x, so as the Switch in docked mode has 400 GFLOPS, I see it's common sense for Switch 2 to have at least 2TF to 4TF in docked mode PLUS more modern architecture than last gen console + way better CPU (it's actually hard not to, lol) + faster storage.

What I'd find hard to believe is Nintendo not surpassing last gen consoles even in raw power.

HighPoly

Banned
ok my babies, let's talk like adults !

show some pictures of what you think Switch 2 will be able to run in real time ! !!!

whyman

So we are looking at a minimum 500 dollar machine at launch unless they totally cheap out on the screen and device build quality. In EU with inflation and taxes that’s more like 600.

Still, I’m a sucker for portable gaming so it will be worth it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So we are looking at a minimum 500 dollar machine at launch unless they totally cheap out on the screen and device build quality. In EU with inflation and taxes that’s more like 600.

Still, I’m a sucker for portable gaming so it will be worth it.

If the Switch is any indication, they absolutely will cheap out on build quality.

Admerer

I gave up on Nintendo when it comes to hardware after the release of the Wii U.
They could have very easily released a console more powerful than the 360/PS3, but didn't.
They don't care, Nintendo hardware is designed to turn profit day one and to sell Nintendo first party games, that's all.

Robb

Gold Member
Seems people are getting a bit too excited from what I can tell. I think this’ll be a system that’s at most $399, all while making Nintendo a profit from day 1.

If some parts are more expensive you can bet they’ll make cuts elsewhere.

Tams

They could have very easily released a console more powerful than the 360/PS3, but didn't.
They don't care, Nintendo hardware is designed to turn profit day one and to sell Nintendo first party games, that's all.

It's almost like they are first and foremost a business who want to and are legally obliged to make profits.

Or something.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Seems people are getting a bit too excited from what I can tell. I think this’ll be a system that’s at most $399, all while making Nintendo a profit from day 1.

If some parts are more expensive you can bet they’ll make cuts elsewhere.
With the Activision rumors
With PS4 base performance it can be close to series s thanks to DLSS

Astral Dog

tbf despite Nintendo's failure with the Wii U,they just couldn't go all the way from developing SD 3DS/Wii games to Xbox ONE/PS4 tier without trouble ,Wii U served as the middle ground to get their teams familiar with "HD" games

also what they had in plan was to fuse their handheld lineup with the home console, hence the Wii U focus on low energy consumption and game without TV , had it been more powerful instead of the improved ports you would get downgraded 🤭 anyways Nintendo did manage to release some impressive looking games on both Wii U and Switch can't wait to see what they have prepared for Switch 2

tkscz

Stuff like this is what makes this fun. This one is extra doubtful though. I'm not one of the "Nintendo would never do new technology" crowd as I've noticed some of their stances have been changing lately with new management and with Apple entering the battle field, it's a good reason for them to be scared and want to do that. However, Lovelace's Tegra model is still in production outside of Thor drive, I don't think they'd skip Lovelace to go immedately with Blackwell BEFORE Blackwell is even on GPUs.

Beechos

I'll believe when I see it. This is after all coming from a company that had people duct taping adapters and MacGyvering shit to get headsets to work on the switch.

Doczu

I'm getting WUST flashbacks, and it hits like PTSD.

Kids, don't do this to yourself. Stop this before it turns into madness

Buggy Loop

FFS

48~72 hours he was saying its T239 on samsung 8nm

all over the place

edit : OK, he still says its T239, and explained that T254 is blackwell, not that Switch 2 uses it. So T254 is only from that 4chan rumour, that's not a credible source.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
FFS

48~72 hours he was saying its T239 on samsung 8nm

all over the place

edit : OK, he still says its T239, and explained that T254 is blackwell, not that Switch 2 uses it. So T254 is only from that 4chan rumour, that's not a credible source.

I'm not believing a word of this.

Stafford

because they're more ridiculous?
We're going to get a console around PS4-level performance with a few boosts from modern architecture,
and not gonna lie
request GIF

4A Games Metro GIF by Deep Silver

red dead redemption 2 fire GIF by Rockstar Games

I can live with that

True. I can only imagine how clean Zelda would look.

Top Bottom