• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

kingocfs

Microsoft is not going to release the console at the same time as Sony and price it higher, these two machines are going to cost the same.

That $300 sub model will probably be the cheapest option available between the two.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i love how every single bit of rumored news on 720 is negative. add this new price point rumor to the growing list of things to complain about before we actually know anything
- $500!?
- GDDR3
- comparatively weak gpu
- monthly live fees
- always online
- no used games
- kinect 2.0
- kinect required to be on at all times
- direction (new execs not being OG xbox execs)

did i miss any?

Grisby

-Internet required
-No BC
-Microsoft's focus slowly shifting away from games
-Heavily rumored to block used games
-$500

1349110594814.gif

This gen going to be a no brainer for me.
Yeah, I'm gonna wait.

Always on internet is a big deal for me because my connection likes to shit itself every once in a while. MS hasn't been showing any games interest and I do love me some BC.

Spongebob

Banned
I'm guessing people will see the $300 price, see that you have to subscribe to XBL for x number of years, see it as a good deal because they would get XBL regardless
Currently XBL is $5/month, the 360 subscription plan is $15/month. I'm willing to bet that we'll see MS go with a subscription model that is $299 up front + a $20/month payment which includes XBL in it.

$300+ contract is a worse deal than my cell phone plan...

$500 also assures me that I won't be buying into nextgen for the first couple years (if you think the PS4 will launch for substantially less than this as well, you'd be dreaming). Once the systems get down below $300 and include at least 1 killer app, then I'll think it over.

i love how every single bit of rumored news on 720 is negative. add this new price point rumor to the growing list of things to complain about before we actually know anything
- $500!?
- GDDR3
- comparatively weak gpu
- monthly live fees
- always online
- no used games
- kinect 2.0

did i miss any?

You missed no BC

The best model, like the 60GB PS3 was.

So then you do believe there will be a cheaper sku. Ok, I agree with that. Imo there will be a $429-449 model that includes a very good size HDD, and all other features as the high end model. IMO the higher end model wil just include. ps+ subscription and bigger HDD.

Spongebob

Banned
- $500!?
- GDDR3 DDR3
- comparatively weak gpu
- monthly live fees
- always online
- no used games
- kinect 2.0

did i miss any?

Fixed.

LCfiner

Microsoft is not going to release the console at the same time as Sony and price it higher, these two machines are going to cost the same.

That $300 sub model will probably be the cheapest option available between the two.

I think you're mostly right. The $300 subscription option will be the cheapest option, yes,

But I'm betting Sony will do a lot to come in under $500. They might have a $450 model (or maybe lower) and be willing to take a bigger hit with losses on the initial HW sales. Not having to bundle an expensive kinect camera will help.

MS might be banking on the subscription option to lower their entry price

RetroStu

Banned
- $500!?
- GDDR3
- comparatively weak gpu
- monthly live fees
- always online
- no used games
- kinect 2.0

did i miss any?
The DDR3 ram is not a negative, i'm sorry it isn't. Its not as fast as PS4 ram but its not too long ago that people were thinking that we'd get 2gig of ram and maybe 4gig if we were damn lucky........apart from that yeah i agree!.

Espada

$400-$450 was already going to be a hard sale.

If people are forced decide between a console and an iPhone or Tablet, they'll pick the latter every goddamn time. I really don't understand this price point. $500 is far too high for the hardware that's in these machines and the R&D costs associated with them. My best guess is that they're going for a really fat profit margin per machine sold.

If Microsoft & Sony touch that figure they're asking for a repeat of Wii U sales figures and market performance.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's not a gaming console anymore. It's the focus for all your entertainment in the living room.

This is the route it's going.

Entertainment "consoles" are usually even cheaper. Roku boxes, Apple TV, all around the 99$ mark and offer a great user experience for consuming video content.
Hell, the PS3 is my favorite media player of all time and it's getting cheaper by the day. Blu-ray, Netflix, PC streaming, it does it all.

I don't see anything besides gaming that's going to be attracting people looking for a "entertainment" device.

The DDR3 ram is not a negative, i'm sorry it isn't. Its not as fast as PS4 ram but its not too long ago that people were thinking that we'd get 2gig of ram and maybe 4gig if we were damn lucky........apart from that yeah i agree!.

If it's compared to a console that's offering 8GB of GDDR5 instead, at similar cost, how is that not a downside? Developers have been clamoring for as much RAM as possible since forever.

Why would game prices go up? From what is being said from developers, they will see a small increase in production costs but not nearly what it was from the xbox to the 360 and PS2 to PS3.
I think he's referring to the cost going up for people who sell their played games to finance their new game purchases. If indeed the nextBox prevents used games from being played.

YOu are going to be in for a rude awakening. Wouldn't surprise me if they are both $499. This isn't 2006 anymore. Console makers probably think they can get away with a higher price point considering what people spend on cell phones and tablets.

Good luck with that

The Times which is about as reputable a newspaper that you can get in the UK ran a story (that was covered on GAF), saying that Sony were aiming for a PS4 price point in the region of £300. I also remember an interview with one of the top guys from Sony (can't remember who it was) when asked if the ps4 pricing would be closer to $300 or $600, said he certainly hoped it would be closer to $300, so that points to a sub $450 price in the U.S. (the interview was conducted at the PS meeting)

Bsigg12

Wait 5/21 unveil? Nooooo.

Kinda sucks but Microsoft is looking to ride momentum from event to event with the reveal followed by E3 then their BUILD 2013, which I wish I could attend. I wouldn't expect launch to be more than 6 months post reveal either.

If Microsoft has learned anything from the terrible Surface RT launch is that they need to reveal and launch in a relatively short time frame (ala Apple) in order to keep the buzz about the product high.

Dahbomb

Price isn't that bad at all but if all those features are accurate then no way would I ever considering getting this over a similarly priced PS4.

Tookay

We don't know the ps4 price yet everyone assumes it will be cheaper? Talk about jumping to conclusions.

I'm under no illusion the PS4 will be cheaper.

But even at equivalent prices, it looks like Sony's screwing the consumer over less, so that gives it more value to me.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Wait 5/21 unveil? Nooooo.
I'm hoping Microsoft will talk a bit about these issues and maybe announce that Xbox event come April 18 and the Fiscal Year 2013 Third Quarter Earnings Conference Call.

t1366320600z4.png

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/default.aspx

It took Sony from announcement of PlayStation Meeting 2013 to reveal of PS4 twenty days, so hopefully we will know more soon. It's Microsoft's remaining earnings conference call before E3 anyway so they would want to appease the investors somehow.

Nah that's 50 above my limit and I'm not getting a subscription. Not sure why PS4 is getting lumped in with this, everything has been pointing to a 400-450 price point.

fallagin

You don't know if it would be a good deal or not until you know what services Microsoft will be including. And for what price.

Sure, but if they do go for their previously laid out model then it will be a terrible deal. you can get year subscriptions to gold for super cheap, and the 10 extra dollars for 24 months will work out to 40 dollars more then the original cost of the 500$ unit. If you can afford 300$ then you can shell out an extra 200$. Or if you cant then maybe do layaway.

Of course people hardly think about these things when they are looking at the price tag.

I think he's referring to the cost going up for people who sell their played games to finance their new game purchases. If indeed the nextBox prevents used games from being played.

Not only that but they have no reason to lower the price.

It's not like your just going to buy the used one cheaper later. You'll see less price drops since they have complete control of the price.

jdmonmou

I think $500 is a good price. I want a quality home console and I'm willing to pay for it. If it has as long as a lifespan as the 360, then $500 is a good deal. There are bound to be multiple SKUs for this thing, so it could possibly be even cheaper. Shit, Apple releases a new IPad every year for $500 and people eagerly buy them. Microsoft releases it's first new console in 8 years and people are getting angry about a $500 price tag.

Seems like Ps4 like will be the only true nextgen AND true game console. Gamers market is potentially in their hands, admitted such a thing still exists, effectively (but I think yes).

Spongebob

Banned
I'd suggest reading this...

http://beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62108

My conclusion: Usable memory amount is very much tied to available memory bandwidth. More bandwidth allows the games to access more memory. So it's kind of counterintuitive to swap faster smaller memory to a slower larger one. More available memory means that I want to access more memory, but in reality the slower bandwidth allows me to access less. So the percentage of accessible memory drops radically.

Synless

Holy crap $500 for a weaker system then PS4?

My threshold is $400 on a new system. MS has lost this launch buyer if true. :/
You don't know for sure that it is weaker, they have announced nothing. You also don't know the price of the PS4, it could easily be $500 as well.

Espada

I think $500 is a good price. I want a quality home console and I'm willing to pay for it. If it has as long as a lifespan as the 360, then $500 is a good deal. There are bound to be multiple SKUs for this thing, so it could possibly be even cheaper. Shit, Apple releases a new IPad every year for $500 and people eagerly buy them. Microsoft releases it's first new console in 8 years and people are getting angry about a $500 price tag.

Apple is a lot more popular than Microsoft at the moment, they have the power of brand loyalty and consumer zeal surrounding mobile devices behind them.

Microsoft (and Sony) are struggling with a market that's being ignored for mobile and tablets, and competing with them in terms of multimedia devices.

neptunes

Nah that's 50 above my limit and I'm not getting a subscription. Not sure why PS4 is getting lumped in with this, everything has been pointing to a 400-450 price point.

Why would Sony use a lower MSRP when they don't have to, they should be confident in their product's features that they could justify a higher price tag.

There's no way Sony won't market skim.

Bsigg12

Ok, that makes sense.

Not only that but they have no reason to lower the price.

It's not like your just going to buy the used one cheaper later. You'll see less price drops since they have complete control of the price.

I would like to think if they eliminate used sales (which until we go 100% digital, probably won't happen) that the Live Marketplace will become more akin to Steam with seasonal sales with huge discounts.

Demon Ice

Banned
The problem Microsoft has has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo anymore, it's Roku and AppleTV. The market for hardcore video games, the market of people will always buy the next Gears of War game, the next Halo game, the next Call of Duty game, it's fairly finite. It's a decent market, yada yada yada, it's not the market for tablets, it's not the market for smartphones

Yep. Gaming is not their priority anymore. Which is fine, they can choose to prioritize whatever they want for the next console, just as easily as I can choose to end my XBL subscription and get a PS4 for next gen.

Probably been covered, but I don't understand what I'm paying $300 for a "subscription model" for - that implies I pay $300, then even more on top of that on a monthly/quarterly/annual basis. I don't get it.

Top Bottom