• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Quantum Break delayed to early 2016

Everyone seems to be forgetting the most teased game in existence (Rare's new title) when talking about Microsoft's 2015 line up. I'd be very surprised if we didn't get a new Banjo announced at E3, then released fairly soon after (so as to avoid the 3rd party onslaught of Q4).

Kampfheld did write "BK E-3 15", so that is some pretty damning teasing from his part. However, there may have been development problems or halts, considering they probably feel they have to do B&K right as to not betray fans.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that they would tease B&K as early as they did with Crackdown/PD/Scalebound, it just seems desperate, and a two year wait for a B&K game does not a happy Xbox customer make. The only thing I find even harder to believe is that they ACTUALLY are so far ahead in development that it is ready to be released fall 2015. That would have required some great forethought from MS-team's side, and it isn't that long ago Phil Spencer checked up on Rare to see what they were working on for the first time. There might always be another studio in the mix, but I'm skeptical.

I am more convinced we will see Battletoads at E3 2015, then B&K. Not sure how likely it is that Battletoads is a 2015 title, considering it was trademarked in Nov. 2014, but we'll see. The best outcome would of course be both.

Sidenote: Phil did say some time back that he was already moving stuff out of the 2015 window because it was so packed. Might have been just PR to cover up delays, but still. Halo, Forza, Fable and TR does not a packed 2015 make.

Chris1

Kampfheld did write "BK E-3 15", so that is some pretty damning teasing from his part. However, there may have been development problems or halts, considering they probably feel they have to do B&K right as to not betray fans.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that they would tease B&K as early as they did with Crackdown/PD/Scalebound, it just seems desperate, and a two year wait for a B&K game does not a happy Xbox customer make. The only thing I find even harder to believe is that they ACTUALLY are so far ahead in development that it is ready to be released fall 2015. That would have required some great forethought from MS-team's side, and it isn't that long ago Phil Spencer checked up on Rare to see what they were working on for the first time. There might always be another studio in the mix, but I'm skeptical.

I am more convinced we will see Battletoads at E3 2015, then B&K. Not sure how likely it is that Battletoads is a 2015 title, considering it was trademarked in Nov. 2014, but we'll see. The best outcome would of course be both.

Sidenote: Phil did say some time back that he was already moving stuff out of the 2015 window because it was so packed. Might have been just PR to cover up delays, but still. Halo, Forza, Fable and TR does not a packed 2015 make.
To be fair though, other people at ms/xbox knew what rare was working on, Phil just asked them to keep it a secret so he could see for himself in person. Not sure how often visits like that are during game development, or when the first visit is usually around, but Phil leaving it so late to see what Rare's working on was at his own request, not necessarily dependant on how far Rare's game was moving along.

A gears is coming too according to shinobi. Mix that in with a bunch of multiplatform and this holiday is stacked imo.

Freeman

Banned
As expected given their history, 2015 looks like a very weak year for the Xbox One. Halo 5 will pretty much have to do it all by itself.

On Microsoft's Xbox Wire page for the Master Chief XB1 bundle there is a rather interesting omission at the bottom of the page:

"With an unprecedented lineup of Xbox exclusives including Fable Legends, Halo 5: Guardians, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Forza Motorsport 6 plus a host of blockbuster third-party titles such as Battlefield Hardline and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt all coming this year, 2015 is shaping up to be another amazing year for Xbox fans."

http://news.xbox.com/2015/03/xbox-one-halo-mcc-bundle

No mention of Quantum Break in the exclusives section. Innocent mistake omitting it, perhaps, but this being a press release from today coinciding that that tweet today makes me think otherwise.

prwxv3

If someone told me there would be something dumber then list wars I would be laughed. But then holiday lineup listwars became a thing.

If it gets delayed then it gets delayed. We don't want another MCC collection situation again. Hopefully they have the balls to delay Halo 5 if it is not ready for 2015.

On Microsoft's Xbox Wire page for the Master Chief XB1 bundle there is a rather interesting omission at the bottom of the page:

"With an unprecedented lineup of Xbox exclusives including Fable Legends, Halo 5: Guardians, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Forza Motorsport 6 plus a host of blockbuster third-party titles such as Battlefield Hardline and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt all coming this year, 2015 is shaping up to be another amazing year for Xbox fans."

No mention of Quantum Break in the exclusives section. Innocent mistake omitting it, perhaps, but this being a press release from today coinciding that that tweet today makes me think otherwise.

Greenberg side stepped the delay question like Neo so I'm all in on it being delayed.

muzzymate

After Alan Wake, one of my favorite games last gen, I'll give this studio all the time it needs. My controller will be ready when you are ready to ship, Remedy.

Also, I've got MGSV this fall. That game will likely take me an entire season or two to finish.

Sydle

Almost seems like Microsoft front loaded all their titles hoping to jump out to a big early lead and let the momentum carry them through to holiday 2015 and early 2016. Looking at the potential lineup for the rest of the year it's Barren, except it actually gets third party support. Most of the once X1 exclusives are now elsewhere and when it comes to Tomb Raider that's a known timed exclusive.

Unfortunately they didn't get any momentum from the year 1 releases and now face getting trounced throughout the year and then the holiday season this year will be a bit different then last considering the PS4 has big titles planned for the holidays. Uncharted, Persona, No Mans Sky, etc.

Will be an interesting year.

Since when was Persona a big title? I think the last one sold less than half a million, most of those in Japan.

EDIT: I see one on the PS3 sold really well for the series, so maybe it's getting more popular?

Nuke Soda

I'm sad to see it pushed back, but the game deserves all the time they need. Looking forward to Quantum Break whenever it hits stores.

Greenberg side stepped the delay question like Neo so I'm all in on it being delayed.

The game was announced in May of 2013, I wonder if it does get delayed, if we will see it released before the 3 year mark of its announcement? It's quite amazing the legs this title has had since the announcement. I think that really shows how much respect Remedy has earned with gamers.

Since when was Persona a big title? I think the last one sold less than half a million, most of those in Japan.

EDIT: I see one on the PS3 sold really well for the series, so maybe it's getting more popular?

Uncharted will be huge among people who prefer blockbuster type titles
Persona 5 will be huge among JRPG fans, the franchise has been picking up steam lately
No Mans Sky will be huge among sci-fi fans, space fans, exploration fans, etc.

I'm not talking huge as in selling 8,000,000 copies or something like that. But huge among the group it is geared toward. Each of those will sell systems to their respective audience over the holiday season, and when you put them all together then its just a great thing. The more games the merrier.

JRPG's have always been a niche genre. Even the most popular, FF, will only crack a few million in the US at most. Some of the greatest titles ever never sold a million copies. But to those JRPG fans, a title like Persona 5 which is what, 5 years in the making or longer? Is going to be a huge title.

Did anyone really see it coming end of year?

They got Forza, Tomb Raider and Halo for end of year. Maybe something unannounced at E3 too.

Jrs3000

As expected given their history, 2015 looks like a very weak year for the Xbox One. Halo 5 will pretty much have to do it all by itself.

u serious? There's a lot more than just halo 5 man. Speaking 1st party, Forza, Fable, along with whatever rare is working. I'm sure I've missed some.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I would only consider Uncharted to be a "big" title as far as sales go. Not knocking the other two but I do not seem them selling huge.

The same goes for Forza, sales have never been good without massive bundles.

Guri

Yes.

Google ftw.

I know Alan Wake was delayed internally. But in 2005 and in 2006, they never told us to expect it in a specific date. Or did they? If not, this is why I don't consider it officially delayed. When they revealed the game again in 2009, they told us to expect it in Summer 2010, which is when we got it. Unless I am missing some information I can't find.

I would delay it if I were Remedy. Not only would they benefit from the extra months to polish the experience further, but by postponing the release, they will avoid releasing within weeks time from juggernauts such as Halo, Uncharted, COD and Battlefield...They will have the first quarter of 2016 to themselves.

phil did say they might need to move some stuff out

Xbox One's autumn 2015 lineup is so 'crazy', Microsoft may have to 'purposely move some things out'

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/h...y_have_to_purposely_move_some_things_out.html

"I mean, this fall from a 1st-party/3rd-party standpoint is great. Next fall, I don't... Honestly it's not hype at all, I honestly don't know that we can actually ship all the stuff that thinks it's trying to ship next fall. It just might be too crowded and we might purposely try to move some things out to spread it. You have to [give them some breathing room], you have to do that."

O C

Banned
phil did say they might need to move some stuff out

Xbox One's autumn 2015 lineup is so 'crazy', Microsoft may have to 'purposely move some things out'

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/h...y_have_to_purposely_move_some_things_out.html

"I mean, this fall from a 1st-party/3rd-party standpoint is great. Next fall, I don't... Honestly it's not hype at all, I honestly don't know that we can actually ship all the stuff that thinks it's trying to ship next fall. It just might be too crowded and we might purposely try to move some things out to spread it. You have to [give them some breathing room], you have to do that."

To the benefit of who? The marketing/sales side or for the gamers?

TP-DK

Plus it wasn't part of the "2015 Xbox games" trailer they released end of last year or early this year.

Koobion

I played Alan Wake on PC, and it was a fantastic port of an incredible game. Remedy will make good use of the extra time.

thelastword

Banned
Even without Quantum Break, Microsoft's holiday line-up is still absolutely stacked and this coming from a PlayStation guy.

They have Halo and Forza, two of their flagship franchises that are both almost guaranteed to be great (whether long-time fans warm up to Halo 5 remains to be seen but objectively, it will be good). Then they're publishing the sequel to one of last generation's biggest surprises in Tomb Raider. Shinobi has been teasing some kind of Gears remaster or collection and there will probably be some downloadable games of note. That's a strong line-up if I've ever seen one folks.
Even an XBOX guy wouldn't believe that. Halo and Forza are on a decline, Forza is not a great seller especially without pack-ins and massive drops in MSRP. If this is it (2 games on a decline) with some rumblings of a Gears of war remaster (last gen series in HD) as a stacked lineup for the new gen, then your idea of stacked must really be lopsided.

rrc1594

Even an XBOX guy wouldn't believe that. Halo and Forza are on a decline, Forza is not a great seller especially without pack-ins and massive drops in MSRP. If this is it (2 games on a decline) with some rumblings of a Gears of war remaster (last gen series in HD) as a stacked lineup for the new gen, then your idea of stacked must really be lopsided.

Yes you talk for everyone

Doffen

Tomb Raider?

mclem

Quantum Break's rumored may have been a troll; Taleteller changes Twitter account, deletes tweet

http://www.paradiger.com/quantum-br...have-been-just-another-troll-remains-a-rumor/

That's weirdly written. Is it machinetranslated from another language, or something?

This guy managed to cause some uproar with his tweets and twitter description. The Quantum Break hasn’t been officially confirmed so it remains a rumor at most! On the other hand Aaron Greenberg didn’t deny the delay either in the tweet mentioned above. We keep hoping for a 2015 release!

Bgamer90

Banned
Even an XBOX guy wouldn't believe that. Halo and Forza are on a decline, Forza is not a great seller especially without pack-ins and massive drops in MSRP.

Why is it a popular thing here to bring up sales as if they determine game quality? Also, is it impossible for both series to get better considering that we are in the third year of current gen?

If this is it (2 games on a decline) with some rumblings of a Gears of war remaster (last gen series in HD) as a stacked lineup for the new gen, then your idea of stacked must really be lopsided.

Or maybe he has a different opinion than you? Goodness.

Love your use of "decline" too in reference to games that aren't out yet.

paxromana

Banned
I think it will still do pretty well. Weren't there some statistics thrown around that showed that these timed exclusivity deals are actually quite efficient? I think if there's a ~6 month delay, there will be quite a lot of people on PS4/PC/PS3 who will move on and/or pick it up much later when it hits 20$, and since video game sales are so front-loaded... etc.

All this is in my opinion of course, but there's a reason Sony and Microsoft put down all these millions on timed exclusivity, they must be pretty damaging to the opposite side.

Kezen

Banned
Pretty much.

Fact it's also on 360 day one is gonna take some wind out of those sails as well.

Time will tell but I suspect it's not going to much of a system seller, the Tomb Raider is arguably stronger on Playstation and I doubt the folks who have closely followed Tomb Raider are not aware of the timed exclusivity. My point is that I think they will wait.

I'm really salty about this deal. I don't like being left out when I could have enjoyed a game I was very much looking forward to.

Bgamer90

Banned
Timed exclusive so unlikely to push many people to buy an Xbox One this fall.

Pretty much.

Fact it's also on 360 day one is gonna take some wind out of those sails as well.

Funny... Could have sworn that sports games and COD helped the sales of both current gen consoles last Holiday season and those games are on everything.

I personally think it will help XB1 sales a good amount if MS makes a bundle with it similar to Assassin's Creed last year.

Funny... Could have sworn that sports games and COD helped the sales of both current gen consoles last Holiday season and those games are on everything.

I personally think it will help XB1 sales a good amount if MS makes a bundle with it similar to Assassin's Creed last year.

$299 XB1 with Tomb Raider: DE and Rise of the Tomb Raider bundled would sell like hotcakes.

x-Lundz-x

$299 XB1 with Tomb Raider: DE and Rise of the Tomb Raider bundled would sell like hotcakes.

Yup, if this bundle happened I think it would be big. But if it included two games I see it staying at $349.99. But yeah this bundle would be a big deal IMO.

Bgamer90

Banned

Agreed... Especially since it would free up money for people to buy the other (big) games during that time.

Overall, it's going to help console sales but I don't think it will help them TOO much due to the other games that will be out at the time. My opinion would change though if MS did what you said. I wonder if it would be easier to that in comparison to the AC Unity bundles last year because of the timed exclusivity deal they have.

Agreed... Especially since it would free up money for people to buy the other (big) games during that time.

Overall, it's going to help console sales but I don't think it will help them TOO much due to the other games that will be out at the time. My opinion would change though if MS did what you said. I wonder if it would be easier to that in comparison to the AC Unity bundles last year because of the timed exclusivity deal they have.

TR:DE is already really cheap too. It wouldn't be too expensive to bundle it as well with Rise.

I see this turned from a QB thread into a Tomb Raider holiday bundle thread.

Sorry. I love Tomb Raider. Knowing I can play that softens the blow of a QB delay.

Chobel

But that's not exclusive to TR nor to AC, you bundle any two games (plus a price cut) and the same effect will happen. So TR is not gonna help, more like bundling and price cut will be the real help.

But that's not exclusive to TR nor to AC, you bundle any two games (plus a price cut) and the same effect will happen. So TR is not gonna help, more like bundling and price cut will be the real help.

Tomb Raider is a big franchise and only on Xbox this holiday, I think it will certainly help them, even if its in tandem with a price cut and bundle.

Servbot24

Banned

Halo may be on a decline but it is still massive. Tomb Raider is big too, timed or no. Forza gets glossed over on account of being an annualized franchise but I'm sure fans of the series will love it. And there are some promising indie games coming. Add in great 3rd party games and that's a pretty solid year.

Fable is kind of a joke at this point however.

Top Bottom