• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Ryan Phillippe to play Iron Fist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
They can make Rand female, black, Hispanic, Arabic, etc. But to make him Asian would be beyond baffling. The fact he isn't Asian, that he is different than the rest in looks is part of his story.

Absolutely no chance Marvel makes him Asian. It's as likely as casting a male for Captain Marvel.

No shade to Iron Fist or the fans - again, I haven't read it - but this "he looks different" stuff as a defense for yet another white protagonist is total weaksauce.

They can make Rand female, black, Hispanic, Arabic, etc. But to make him Asian would be beyond baffling. The fact he isn't Asian, that he is different than the rest in looks is part of his story.

Absolutely no chance Marvel makes him Asian. It's as likely as casting a male for Captain Marvel.

I think the white guy who's "special" in a crowd of Asians is now a little insulting in how much it has been done to death. See the Netflix series Marco Polo. Funnily enough, he was the blandest part of the show.

Instead of "white guy looks different than us Asians LOL" why not, Asian guy looks the same, but is not. That is interesting and mirrors real world struggles.

Or whatever, make him black or Latino if, for some reason, you really want to cling to the "he looks different" story point. But I don't see why he has to be white when it's a terrible trope.

And just for the record, I would still be happy with a white Danny Rand (as long as the series is good). He's no Human Torch to me. But it would be nice to not see a retread of the white savior trope. It would be nice to see a powerful Asia-American male lead character in the MCU. And it would be nice to see a storyline that doesn't just use Asian culture as a backdrop, but also delves into how that culture affects those caught between two worlds.

guek

Banned
he's so irrelevant that he's currently in the Avengers

Everyone and their mom is an Avenger! When was his last popular and successful solo book? When was Iron Fists'? Guardians of the Galaxy? Daredevil? Shang Chi is not a big character, that's all I meant. That doesn't mean he's not still being used.

Neoxon

Oh my God, you really believe Shang Chi or Psylocke are comparable to Guardians and Daredevil? Guardians and Daredevil both have tons of beloved stories, lore, and history. Marvel is never going to make an Amadeus Cho movie or show or give him years and years of stories revolving around him.
His mom is already in Age of Ultron, so the door is open for Amadeus.

EDIT: Apparently it's a spoiler.

suzu

why can't there be an asian savior trope? it has an asian character being more superior to everyone else and saving the day..just like the white savior trope

Uhhh. If asian savior was a common trope, I don't think many would ask for more Asian representation in western entertainment. lol

why can't there be an asian savior trope? it has an asian character being more superior to everyone else and saving the day..just like the white savior trope

A trope is typically something that is overused, cliche. There is no Asian Savior cliche because it is almost never used. And no, random Asian badass in a squad full of non-Asians is not an Asian Savior trope. An Asian Savior trope, that is analogous to the White Savior trope, would be a guy from Asia coming to America and schooling everyone on, I don't know, baseball? And then for that basic story/plot to be the only one used for all baseball movies/shows.

A trope is typically something that is overused, cliche. There is no Asian Savior cliche because it is almost never used. And no, random Asian badass in a squad full of non-Asians is not an Asian Savior trope. An Asian Savior trope, that is analogous to the White Savior trope, would be a guy from Asia coming to America and schooling everyone on, I don't know, baseball? And then for that basic story/plot to be the only one used for all baseball movies/shows.

ok i agree with what you mean by trope...

my disagreement is the idea that a white guy being better at everyone else at a game/sport etc. that's origins are from PoC is problematic?

that's why i mentioned Magnus Carlsen a few times...he's a white guy and is the greatest chess player in the world (maybe all time) yet chess is a game from India..is that wrong? is that appropriation?

i mean that is where my disagreement came from, not the trope its self

guek

Banned
Maybe movie wise, but not for a tv show

I call bullshit. Obviously we wont know of a Shang Chi show until it's actually announced but why you'd expect one at all any time soon is beyond me. You have no evidence to show Shang Chi is as big a character as Danny Rand in any current Marvel universe. He's orders of magnitude more obscure than Iron Fist.

D i Z

Fuck it. We need Danny played by the RZA. His ethnicity shouldn't matter, right? And we all know RZA is a New Yorker with a major boner for Eastern culture and martial arts.
Should have been O.D.B, but no world is perfect.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When was his last popular and successful solo book?

he has a book in secret wars

MASTER_OF_KUNG_FU.jpg

Sandfox

Everyone and their mom is an Avenger! When was his last popular and successful solo book? When was Iron Fists'? Guardians of the Galaxy? Daredevil? Shang Chi is not a big character, that's all I meant. That doesn't mean he's not still being used.

Well he's getting a mini-series in May so we'll see how it does, but its not like Iron Fist can even carry a book these days. It seems pretty hard for solo books to take off these days.

Nesotenso

You don't understand the trope.

It's an adaption. Some stuff is gonna change no matter what. If he's a stranger in a strange land - doesn't know their history or their customs - that's more interesting and more valuable to the writers. His looks not being radically different is easy to discard.

I would say that the fact that he looks different is a big part of the story. Particularly if you follow the Fraction/Brubaker stories about how his predecessor abandoned Kun Lun

guek

Banned
Well he's getting a mini-series in May so we'll see how it does, but its not like Iron Fist can even carry a book these days.

True, but Iron Fist is getting his own live action series. That's more than I can say for Shang Chi. Maybe after BattleWorld, Shang Chi will be a hit and his popularity will soar, causing Marvel to take note and fast track a new series for Netflix before the end of the decade. Maybe, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
..which hasn't come out yet, right? So how is it a successful book?

the point is he is neither unused nor as obscure as you claimed is all. but I have a feeling you will continue to stick to your schtick so im out

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
so a white guy can't be good at something that's origins come from PoC

so i'll use my Magnus Carlsen example again...white guy (Norweigian) best chess player in the planet of a game that's origins are of India is he appropriating the game then?

Not saying they can't be good at something. (If you read Immortal Iron Fist, they fix the issue by putting it in a better context.) But there's a clear trend in some stories, where a white person comes into an ethnic culture, and ends up being the best at it. The natives couldn't handle the problem until the white man came.

I wouldn't say Magnus Carlsen is an example of what we're even talking about. Chess has gone past it's Indian origins, it's a global game and isn't the embodiment of Indian culture.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
True, but Iron Fist is getting his own live action series. That's more than I can say for Shang Chi. Maybe after BattleWorld, Shang Chi will be a hit and his popularity will soar, causing Marvel to take note and fast track a new series for Netflix before the end of the decade. Maybe, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

He should probably just be a minor reoccurring character in the MCU Netflix world.

Sandfox

I honestly feel the only reason Iron Fist is getting a series is for the Jones/Cage/Iron Fist dynamic with Dare Devil being thrown in because he's a popular street level hero that Marvel just got back.

The best part of reading through this thread was people acting indignant about Iron Fist not being portrayed by an Asian, and thusly, demonstrating that they know little to nothing about the character in the first place.

guek

Banned
the point is he is neither unused nor as obscure as you claimed is all. but I have a feeling you will continue to stick to your schtick so im out
Fuckin aye, I am not saying he is a completely unknown and abandoned character. I'm saying he is not on par with Iron Fist in any way when it comes to use as a character by Marvel/Disney or in terms of popularity among readers.

Slayven

I honestly feel the only reason Iron Fist is getting a series is for the Jones/Cage/Iron Fist dynamic with Dare Devil being thrown in because he's a popular street level hero that Marvel just got back.

Well it is pretty great. Only Spiderman and Human Torch's friendship is greater

The best part of reading through this thread was people acting indignant about Iron Fist not being portrayed by an Asian, and thusly, demonstrating that they know little to nothing about the character in the first place.
Yep

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
D. Strange is a white guy though? im confused by your post?

Do you know the backstory of Dr. Strange? He goes to the Himalayas and saves an Asian guy (Sorceror Supreme) from having his Asian student kill him. He's taught up there how to become a sorceror. The recent marvel animated movie has him learning up there with the rest of the Himalayan sorceror society which are also all Asian. He's chosen to be the next Sorceror Supreme, instead of any of the other Asian sorcerors that have been studying there for years. Then let's not get into him having an Asian sidekick and manservant named Wong......

Have you seen Japanese Anime approved by Lord Emperor Obama?

ok i agree with what you mean by trope...

my disagreement is the idea that a white guy being better at everyone else at a game/sport etc. that's origins are from PoC is problematic?

that's why i mentioned Magnus Carlsen a few times...he's a white guy and is the greatest chess player in the world (maybe all time) yet chess is a game from India..is that wrong? is that appropriation?

i mean that is where my disagreement came from, not the trope its self

Oh yeah, there's nothing wrong with a white person being the best at something that is traditionally non-white. It just sucks that when it comes to other cultures, especially Asian ones, western media thinks audiences need a white POV character that ends up being special all the time.

Fuck it. We need Danny played by the RZA. His ethnicity shouldn't matter, right? And we all know RZA is a New Yorker with a major boner for Eastern culture and martial arts.
Should have been O.D.B, but no world is perfect.

I would have no problem with a black Iron Fist. Well, except for the fact that it would make the Iron Fist/Power Dynamic less fun. Hmmm, maybe IF should be white then just to preserve that dynamic.

But no RZA> He hasn't impressed me with his acting chops (GI Joe 2).

I would say that the fact that he looks different is a big part of the story. Particularly if you follow the Fraction/Brubaker stories about how his predecessor abandoned Kun Lun

His being an outsider is a big deal. He would still be an outsider if he was Asian-American. And the fact that he looks similar, but isn't, makes the conflict more subtle and interesting.

Edit:

Uh, who is being indignant? I'm just saying it would be cool if he was.

Do you know the backstory of Dr. Strange? He goes to the Himalayas and saves an Asian guy (Sorceror Supreme) from having his Asian student kill him. He's taught up there how to become a sorceror. The recent marvel animated movie has him learning up there with the rest of the Himalayan sorceror society which are also all Asian. He's chosen to be the next Sorceror Supreme, instead of any of the other Asian sorcerors that have been studying there for years. Then let's not get into him having an Asian sidekick and manservant named Wong......

Have you seen Japanese Anime approved by Lord Emperor Obama?

i thought they already casted Strange i thought

Nesotenso

His being an outsider is a big deal. He would still be an outsider if he was Asian-American. And the fact that he looks similar, but isn't, makes the conflict more subtle and interesting.

no I think it does the exact opposite. Especially if you go by the Fraction/Bru run and his predecessor (white) abandoning Kun Lun. Makes him the Ultimate outsider.

no I think it does the exact opposite. Especially if you go by the Fraction/Bru run and his predecessor (white) abandoning Kun Lun. Makes him the Ultimate outsider.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here then. I think it's more interesting to have Asians hate on other Asians for being too westernized because that's a real thing that affects a lot of Asian-Americans. And the fact that it's abstracted another layer since Kun-Lun is a mystical city makes it even more interesting.

Heck, keep the fact that Orson is white! It could be why Kun-Lun dislikes western influences and sees an AA Danny as tainted by them.

But that's just my opinion.

I think the difference there is asians have never culturally claimed to be behind the origins of magic. Sooooo really anybody can be Sorceror Supreme and it doesn't sound too bad to me.

I'm sorry to anybody I irked with my previous comment. I think fallengorn nailed what I was trying to say in better words.

Not saying they can't be good at something. (If you read Immortal Iron Fist, they fix the issue by putting it in a better context.) But there's a clear trend in some stories, where a white person comes into an ethnic culture, and ends up being the best at it. The natives couldn't handle the problem until the white man came.

guek

Banned
Yeah. Asian is the one race it makes no sense to make him.

So far I've been told in this thread that Asians can't like Asian martial artists and now that Asians can't feel like an outsider among other Asians. I wonder what else I'm going to learn about myself.

I think the difference there is asians have never culturally claimed to be behind the origins of magic. Sooooo really anybody can be Sorceror Supreme and it doesn't sound too bad to me.

I'm sorry to anybody I irked with my previous comment. I think fallengorn nailed what I was trying to say in better words.

Yeah, the magic stuff isn't really tied to Asian culture. Except for maybe the fact that the Ancient One lives in Tibet and is presumably Asian? I mean, Baron Mordo was European and Stephen Strange was American. Originally it was pretty much just the three of them. Wong being a karate servant is definitely a holdover from the 60s though.

Zhengi

So far I've been told in this thread that Asians can't like Asian martial artists and now that Asians can't feel like an outsider among other Asians. I wonder what else I'm going to learn about myself.

Just cause you're Asian doesn't mean you understand the Asian culture and mentality. It's obvious that White people know better.

/s

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

To be honest the squad is Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Paladin, Shan Chi, Colleen Wing, and Jessica Jones (now at least). I wouldn't be shocked if any of those characters showed up. When it comes to TV/Film more will be left out than included unfortunately/ time and effort is more than a comic mini series, but hopefully all of the those characters show up they basically carried the 70's at marvel along with DD , Punisher and GR.

IrishNinja

Maybe it's a surprise Moon Knight announcement.

YOU AND ME BOTH.

MOON KNIGHT FUCKING RUUUUULES.

Gotta join in on that love. Next to Luke Cage and Iron Fist, Moon Knight is the Marvel Show I want to see on Netflix.

*fistbump to moony bros*

People want Iron Fist to be Asian because they're tired of isms.

lol.

Shang-chi bruhs.

haha let em know

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Dude. Ultimate Spider-man is godly. Millar's Ultimates Run was pretty decent. Hickman's Ultimates arc was fucking amazing. There's a respectable amount of fun stories elsewhere too. Both Tony Stark and Nick Fury in the MCU are much more like their Ultimate version than 616. The ultimate universe gave us plenty of great stuff that echoes on in the MCU. Was it perfect? Hell no, a lot of it ended up becoming garbage, but let's not say there wasn't anything good that came from that universe. Ultimate Janet Pym is not a bad character anyway.

As long as he's not a side-kick, sure. Shang-Chi needs to be a fuckin beast, someone that would go toe-to-toe with MCU cap due to shear skill alone.

oh yes. In fact I think I'd rather a Shang Chi show than Iron Fist, it would be damn good. Guy is so awesome, lots of potential if done correctly

Ryan Phillipe can be Iron Fist
Karl Urban should be The Punisher
Hugh Dancy should be Moon Knight

tumblr_mm0lnbYP6H1qimfrko1_500.gif

will150sj4.gif

tumblr_mo6xeygMdb1qk8t2to1_500.gif

I mean, he's pretty good at playing insane and sympathetic and violent.

So he's supposed to be a Kung Fu superhero? Why can't they get a Chinese-American to play the part...

So just because he knows Kung Fu, he has to be Chinese? Come on bro... we've moved past that. Now every superhero can be a white hetero male regardless of their abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom