• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Ryan Phillippe to play Iron Fist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookje

Karl Urban should be The Punisher
You misspelled Frank Grillo.

tumblr_inline_n47ot9UyBL1qcq1cy.gif

DrSlek

No shade to Iron Fist or the fans - again, I haven't read it - but this "he looks different" stuff as a defense for yet another white protagonist is total weaksauce.

It's not that he looks different, it's that he IS different! Looks, and culturally. In K'un Lun before he becomes the Iron Fist he is viewed as an outsider and interloper, and it doesn't get much better afterwards. Making him Chinese or Asian in general would cause a lot of his back story to stop making sense.

histopher

why would you want an asian guy to play Iron Fist?

Why wouldn't you just make the series about Shang-Chi in that case?

Yep. This. I want Danny Rand as he is. Would also love a Shang Chi series or to get Jimmy Woo into AoS.

changing Danny into an Asian would also change his relationship with Luke Cage. Which is pretty important

Y'all know Shang Chi ain't getting a Netflix series. The fact that he's all most of you can name as an Asian hero is part of the problem.

I love Immortal Iron Fist, but damn... your story is three white dudes in a row were the best shot at an Immortal weapon? At least Marvel retconned Davos' into someone who looked like a person of Asian heritage, otherwise, I'd feel real bad about K'un Lun.

dkOK15i.png

Steel_Serpent.jpg

Only reason we have Cho is Greg Pak stepped in to right some wrongs. Maybe a Jimmy Woo series.

Honestly, they should just skip Iron Fist and do Shang Chi first, right? Otherwise, Marvel got two "white guy goes to vaguely Asian magical place and wins over the local populace" stories coming out in the nest few years.

Most of these characters where created back in the day and if you just pick the major ones, then you end up with situations like Age of Ultron, where a white, mostly male cast saves the world.

ageofultron.jpeg

While the minority characters you have are conveniently sidelined.

So, there's two options:

1. Skip some of your main line heroes and jump to latter versions.
2. Change their race like they changed Scarlet Witch's powerset in AoU (what? you didn't know that?)

I personally don't care which, but at least Marvel somewhat realizes its a problem.

It's not that he looks different, it's that he IS different! Looks, and culturally. In K'un Lun before he becomes the Iron Fist he is viewed as an outsider and interloper, and it doesn't get much better afterwards. Making him Chinese or Asian in general would cause a lot of his back story to stop making sense.
The proposal is to make him Chinese-AMERICAN, most of whom are culturally American, not Asian. And you know, they happen to dress, talk, and have different mannerisms than people from China too. That's what the whole discussion has been about.

An Asian born and raised in the West is typically seen as an outsider when they go back to Asia, believe it or not.

I think the ignorance about this fact in this thread is precisely why they should do something like make Iron Fist Asian American.

Sou Da

Y'all know Shang Chi ain't getting a Netflix series. The fact that he's all most of you can name as an Asian hero is part of the problem.

I love Immortal Iron Fist, but damn... your story is three white dudes in a row were the best shot at an Immortal weapon? At least Marvel retconned Davos' into someone who looked like a person of Asian heritage, otherwise, I'd feel real bad about K'un Lun.

dkOK15i.png

Steel_Serpent.jpg

Only reason we have Cho is Greg Pak stepped in to right some wrongs. Maybe a Jimmy Woo series.

Honestly, they should just skip Iron Fist and do Shang Chi first, right? Otherwise, Marvel got two "white guy goes to vaguely Asian magical place and wins over the local populace" stories coming out in the nest few years.

Most of these characters where created back in the day and if you just pick the major ones, then you end up with situations like Age of Ultron, where a white, mostly male cast saves the world.

ageofultron.jpeg

So, there's two options:

2. Change their race like they changed Scarlet Witch's powerset in AoU (what? you didn't know that?)

I personally don't care which, but at least Marvel somewhat realizes its a problem.
I don't shit after GoTG and Jessica Jones got stuff coming out.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I woulda liked if they made him Asian. He could have been Asian-American and it would have still worked as a fish-out-of-water thing.

edit: They should have just made Power Man and Iron Fist and had it be a 70s 'sploitation riff like Black Dynamite.

the point is he is neither unused nor as obscure as you claimed is all. but I have a feeling you will continue to stick to your schtick so im out

I've read my fair share of comic books and I've never even heard of the guy, so he can't be that relevant.

Slayven

I woulda liked if they made him Asian. He could have been Asian-American and it would have still worked as a fish-out-of-water thing.

edit: They should have just made Power Man and Iron Fist and had it be a 70s 'sploitation riff like Black Dynamite.

God no, we need Marvel's Mightiest Biracial Baby to be born

Man, these threads make it so easy to detect those that haven't touched a comic book in years... say what you will about Gambit, he at least read them.

Anyway

What're the good Danny Rand runs that i should track down?

no I think it does the exact opposite. Especially if you go by the Fraction/Bru run and his predecessor (white) abandoning Kun Lun. Makes him the Ultimate outsider.
I've read that run and I'm not sure what you're talking about. How is being white like Orson remotely important in how he is treated?

dkOK15i.png

Steel_Serpent.jpg

ageofultron.jpeg

So, there's two options:

image.php

Nice post

a lot? Ultimate Thor and Ultimate Fury, Ultimate Falcon,

Guardians dont look like anything
Cap looks like he was ripped from a Steve Englehart scrap book
Iron Man was the 616 Extremis inspired look
Hulk is definitely a different hulk and banner

Ultimates was a huge vol 1 success but it quickly fizzled and its plan to remold and become the prime marvel U got kicked in the dick when other things like Marvel Knights and Marvel Maxx took off by the heroic age/ secret invasion / Dark Reign era it was over for anything Ultimate Marvel style.......

Movie Cap's Costume is totally based off Bryan Hitch's Ultimate design. Chin Strap and all.

Xyrmellon

Use Moon Knight to introduce supernatural elements into the MCU (along with Doctor Strange). For years Moon Knight's forte was werewolves and shit. Make it like Marvel's X-Files. It could work.

You could also really play up the mental illness/personality disorder thing, and that would really make him unique. You could have whole episodes where he's just the cab driver, then a few later the playboy, etc.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyway

What're the good Danny Rand runs that i should track down?

The 2005/2006-ish Ed Brubaker run and the followup in the same series (changed writers midway; some people don't like the 2nd half as much but I think it's just about as good) is amazing. Honestly, just going from the source material this is the most exciting of all the Netflix projects, but who knows if they'll be able to stay true to the comics since some of that stuff (especially the later arcs) are out of the usual TV budget range. Wish the show wasn't so far away.

Shauni

It's nothing short of a Jesus level miracle we got an Iron Fist show to begin with and people suggest making it about Shang-Chi for the Asian thing. That fucker ain't going to be in shit.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Movie Cap's Costume is totally based off Bryan Hitch's Ultimate design. Chin Strap and all.

the first movie looks like 616 suit with Ultimate helmet but even in the modern day Ultimate cap wears a variation of the regular uniform...bigger stars
Avengers was ...cocaines a hell of a drug...

TWS is clearly the Commander Rogers costume 616

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The reason for going with an Asian guy is simple: there aren't any good male Asian heroes floating around, and the important thing about Iron Fist's origin isn't his skin color- it's that he's culturally American and a fish out of water.

This too.

Then its important that he looks different too. Iron Fist is one of the few characters were race plays a factor.

Neoxon

dkOK15i.png

Steel_Serpent.jpg

ageofultron.jpeg

So, there's two options:

1. I don't think there are many characters you could do that with (Ant-Man is more of a special case given that it was Edgar Wright's plan & the MCU was sculpted around it to an extent). In the case of Spider-Man, they're sticking with Peter Parker with Miles Morales likely being introduced later as a means to pass the torch once the MCU Peter Parker actor's contract expires & wants out. On top of that, even with other characters of color taking the mantle of other established heroes, they may or may not be as popular as their predecessors. Take Nova for example, Richard Rider is leagues more popular than Sam Alexander (who Marvel's still trying to salvage despite the low sales of his comics & his less-than-stellar fan reception). It's one thing to introduce someone who isn't well-known, it's another to introduce someone who isn't well-liked. I'd say Kamala, but she's co-existing with Carol (but yeah, Kamala is one of the few new young heroes of color that caught on).
  2. With the exception of Daisy Johnson, most of Marvel's race changes were on either minor characters (Heimdal) or characters without powers (Ben Urich, Nick Fury...who was already black in the Ultimate universe). Clare Temple is sort of an odd case as, although the character of Claire Temple was originally black, she took the role that was occupied by Night Nurse (a separate character in the comics who was white).

Sandfox

1. I don't think there are many characters you could do that with (Ant-Man is more of a special case given that it was Edgar Wright's plan & the MCU was sculpted around it to an extent). In the case of Spider-Man, they're sticking with Peter Parker with Miles Morales likely being introduced later as a means to pass the torch once the MCU Peter Parker actor's contract expires & wants out. On top of that, even with other characters of color taking the mantle of other established heroes, they may or may not be as popular as their predecessors. Take Nova for example, Richard Rider is leagues more popular than Sam Alexander (who Marvel's still trying to salvage despite the low sales of his comics & his less-than-stellar fan reception). It's one thing to introduce someone who isn't well-known, it's another to introduce someone who isn't well-liked. I'd say Kamala, but she's co-existing with Carol (but yeah, Kamala is one of the few new young heroes of color that caught on).
  2. With the exception of Daisy Johnson, most of Marvel's race changes were on either minor characters (Heimdal) or characters without powers (Ben Urich, Nick Fury...who was already black in the Ultimate universe). Clare Temple is sort of an odd case as, although the character of Claire Temple was originally black, she took the role that was occupied by Night Nurse (a separate character in the comics who was white).

From what we've heard Marvel is probably going to lock up whoever they get to be Spider-Man for a long time. Also, for the movies and shows they can do whatever they want with the people under the mask without much backlash unless its someone like Peter Parker because not too many people know more than what they've seen on the big screen. Race changes aren't as likely though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom