• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - TES V Skyrim Definitive Edition out on november 23th

I own it digitally on Xbox 360 as well as on steam, I would love to play it again on Xbox one but I will be waiting for a $20 deal I'm afraid. I'm a huge Skyrim fan but I can still wait. Glad to see this is coming though!

I don' get it either it will be exactly skyrim as it was with higher res, framerate and minor tweaks. Like every other remaster.
Because it's really not worth it if it's not. It's a 5 year old game that shows its age against modern RPGs if that's the case then leave it in last gen and move forward.

So there are two ways this can play out:
1-This will be a "HD re-release", meaning it's basically just the PC version maxed at 1080p 60fps.
2-This will be a remaster, meaning it will have updated visuals, and maybe their 'new' engine used in FO4.

If the former is the case, then I would imagine it would be console only, as it would be the version of Skyrim you could play on PC since 11/11/11. If the latter is the case, I can see it being released on PC and may also have their Bethesda.net modding integrated similar to FO4.

Let's see how wrong I am.

So there are two ways this can play out:
1-This will be a "HD re-release", meaning it's basically just the PC version maxed at 1080p 60fps.
2-This will be a remaster, meaning it will have updated visuals, and maybe their 'new' engine used in FO4.

If the former is the case, then I would imagine it would be console only, as it would be the version of Skyrim you could play on PC since 11/11/11. If the latter is the case, I can see it being released on PC and may also have their Bethesda.net modding integrated similar to FO4.

Let's see how wrong I am.
If the former (which I believe is the more likely scenario) then let's hope it even runs at 60fps

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Because over 20 million people bought this game originally and it was well received. It's not difficult to work out why they would want to remaster such a hit for newer consoles that are selling faster than the previous consoles from MS and Sony.
PS3 version was crap, so I guess now is the time to release a much better version but.... there's new PS4 coming....

Especially now that they have their mod system in place.
Not on a PC level.

You do get that not everyone has/wants a gaming PC, correct?
Well, yes, but with all those rumors flying around about the new PS4 it would be a lot better to just wait and release this Definitive Edition on a new and more powerful console with a lot better visuals and less compromises, don't you think? Let's be totaly honest here, PS4 is basically an APU based system like budget FM1 / FM2 platform (with some differences), and to me making new version for such mid range hardware when there's more powerfull version coming soon is quite frankly a... waste.

Sure, PS4 is a lot more powerful system than PS3 and Skyrim will look better on it obviously, but not by a lot if they won't be using F4 engine (which is not gonna happen).

I loved Skyrim... played 100+ hours into it, but I dunno if I want to donate another whack at it. It would be perfect for dedicated PS3 fans who had to miss out because of the glaring flaws of the original.

I'll wait a while to see how this runs and then I might get it. Might is the key word here. I still haven't played The Witcher 3, let alone it's expansions so if I'm going to play a fantasy rpg, I should probably play that, right?
Yes, play witcher 3. It's a top tier, second to none, fantasy rpg. Can't praise it enough. All gamers should experience it.

Rellik

Not on a PC level.

Correct, but if you don't have or want a gaming PC then mods are a great addition to console Skyrim and a good reason to bring out a remaster. Fallout mods have been a success on the One, and seem to be well received. I see people buying this remaster just for the mods.

They'll probably just ignore releasing it on PC since that can already be made to look incredible. Unless the changes in the remaster are much more dramatic, but I doubt it.

Estocolmo

Loved every Bethesda open world game since Oblivion so I am really looking forward to this and I hope they do more remasters of their classic/essential games like Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and of course Morrowind! Imagine playing those games in updated resolution and with all DLC included!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Depends what type of remaster it is. A quick cash in and it's 30fps. If not it might be 60. Looks at dead island. Can run that on a cheap pc at 60fps yet the ps4 version runs at 30fps
That is just unfair. Dead Island was bumped up to the latest version of Chrome Engine powering Dying Light with plenty of changes. Even if you don't like those changes there's no calling them lazy.

Caayn

Sigh. So the rumours get more credibility.

This is sad news for me. I had hoped that Bethesda would give us a tease for TES VI. Will you ever give us TES VI? I don't want a remaster/remake of the most boring and drab TES game.

EGM1966

TES V: Skyrim: The PC version

Hope I'm wrong and they improve a lot of things

That's my presumption. Very few remasters that have a decent PC version have stood out for me. I certainly won't be investing if this is essentially what I already got playing with all settings maxed (plus some mods on top to further improve things) on PC.

That said comparing PC to PS3/360 version if you only played on console a good remaster would improve the experience available via PS4 and XB1 and could be well worth it for others.

RPGamer92

Banned
Sigh. So the rumours get more credibility.

This is sad news for me. I had hoped that Bethesda would give us a tease for TES VI. Will you ever give us TES VI? I don't want a remaster/remake of the most boring and drab TES game.
I don't get why everyone thinks Bethesda would tease TES VI at this E3. Todd said he wanted the time between the reveal of his next game (prob TESVI) and its release to be even shorter than Fallout 4's which was E3->November.

dubq

Isn't this just the PC version?

Probably, but whatever. I'm all for it if it's a PC version on console. I love gaming on my PC, but it's not always convenient with the setup I have. Having an updated version that I can play from my couch will be a welcome addition.

That is just unfair. Dead Island was bumped up to the latest version of Chrome Engine powering Dying Light with plenty of changes. Even if you don't like those changes there's no calling them lazy.

Didn't mean to make that sound like I was calling the dead island ports lazy, just in general a lot of remasters are basic and should be running much better than they are. Dishonored would be a better example.

I will check out the Dead Island ones though, I did quite enjoy them and I had no idea they were using the same engine Dying Light was. Just going off quick DF skimming.

Seiniyta

I wonder the Skyrim remaster will use the Fallout 4 version of the engine or just a high-end PC version of the game wiht some hi-res graphics slapped on to it.

If it's the first and it also comes to PC that could be interesting for modders. Otherwise I don't think (if it comes to pc at all) it's very worthwhile.

Drazgul

whoooo aaasskeeeedd ffoooorrr thhhiiiisss

Make TES VI!

Might be developed by that Montreal studio they opened last year - that way the OG Bethesda Game Studios can focus on TES VI (which, let's face it, is still a good while away, even if those rumors about concurrent development with FO4 turned out to be true).

Kickass game... good to see that we can enjoy it again with improvements...but..is still a remaster... I´ll never pay U$ 60 for a remaster. When the price drops, i could think about taste it!

Completely useless. Why spend time remastering a 5 year old game that people still play just fine when they could use that time to make something new?

Kathian

Banned
I am so done with remasters. Makes me wonder if this will be another year of just BF and COD and an Ubi game in Q4.

21XX

Banned
I can understand the tempered reactions to this, but I played Skyrim at an absolutely perfect time and loved every single hour of it (and there were many). I can't wait to pick this up at some point and jump back in. The cold, icy world is one of my favorites.

Top Bottom