• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Neiteio said:
How about this?

CafeMockup-1.jpg
Updated it with a bit more notation. Nintendo's not afraid of attachments (nunchuk, classic, MotionPlus, Wheel, Zapper, etc), and at most this is only one more attachment than before. Most of the time you'd only be using one of the attachments. These attachments would also be rounded to form grips, making it more comfortable for your index finger to hit the rear triggers or shoulder bumpers. And in theory, you could still attach a nunchuck to either the core controller or the core controller + attachment #2 -- allowing you to have touch control AND pointer control for, say, Pikmin 3.
Can someone make a "real-life" mock-up of the above? Again, the core controller is JUST the six-inch screen, with camera/IR functionality on top, connector ports on the top and bottom, and of course all the motion capability of a Wii remote. Then the two attachments, or "ears," can attach to expand functionality. The rear ports on the core controller and attachment #2 even allow for attaching nunchuks, etc, as needed -- good for BC, or pointer + touch in Pikmin 3.

Game-Biz said:
My theory is that the 6" screen "controller"/tablet is separate from the nunchuck/wiimote style motion controllers. And that each tablet will be one per system. Anyway, it'll probably look something like this (dimensions are off):

dwyruh.jpg

The triggers and bumper would be on the underside where the index and middle fingers are.

Probably way off, though. Dammit.
imagine waving this around :p . seperate would be wise indeed.

so we get a shitload of controllers in the end?

and what would you control with it.. i you also have a nunchuck and wiimote.

Huff

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
The problem is that there is NO ACTUAL DEFINITION OF CORE OR CASUAL.

If people can't understand this we're never going to get anywhere.

Let's not open up that can of worms here.

Mrbob

Game-Biz said:
My theory is that the 6" screen "controller"/tablet is separate from the nunchuck/wiimote style motion controllers. And that each tablet will be one per system. Anyway, it'll probably look something like this (dimensions are off):

http://oi52.tinypic.com/dwyruh.jpg

The triggers and bumper would be on the underside where the index and middle fingers are.

I think it is going to be something like this too, where the tablet controller is different from the motion controller.

With Nintendo concerned about people breaking wiimotes, I don't see a situation where they put a 6" LCD screen on one and let people wave it around.

DECK'ARD said:
Haptic feedback is in general just vibration according to location, it's no substitute for buttons.

There's deforming touchscreens which provide a physical difference according to location, but this isn't even close to going mainstream let alone end up in a Nintendo controller.
Yea, like the senseg stuff.

http://senseg.com/technology/senseg-technology
http://senseg.com/experience/senseg-demos

Really cool but also not there yet for an application such as this.

Does anyone know if there´s a patent from a rival company regarding thumbstick clicking? Never understood why Ninendo refuses to use it since it gives the controller aditional input options while avoiding their supposed fear of putting to many buttons on a controller.

hyduK

Banned
Effect said:
Where was this ever said and pushed by Nintendo? Especailly since Nintendo never did this themselves. I recall many games early one using motion for everything. Yet that crap was never done in Nintendo developed games from what I can recall. The Wii <name> series is one thing since used motion a lot in that but those controls were for specific things to basically mimic actual movements in those games but what about Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Paper Mario, etc? When the used the remote for pointer controls, or to slash a sword, etc it made sense. So the idea that they got their cue from Nintendo to do these crazy and un-useful use of the controls confuses me. 3rd partiers took it upon themselves to "Wii-make" their control schemes in stupid ways because it was on the Wii. Perhaps I'm wrong but I can't think of any Nintendo game that told them or showed them how to do that. In fact Nintendo games showed to properly use the motion controls.

SMG did an alright job with motion-control. I felt the balancing crap was frustrating, but it at least made sense.

MP3 had some horrible use of the motion controls, ie. when you had to open doors. DKCR was a game where it felt as though Nintendo just told Retro 'you gotta use motion somewhere here', rolling with it was frustrating, unintuitive and not needed at all. It wasn't needed in NSMB either.

DECK'ARD said:
I wonder what Monday is going to bring anyway?

I'm surprised we haven't had holograms yet ;)
well, we could think of a visor that's 6 inch. a display in the visor (hud) and the glasses are 3d glasses too. You can also touch it, but it won't do anything. It will still look cool touching it though.

Game-Biz said:

dwyruh.jpg

etch_a_sketch.jpg

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Neiteio said:
Can someone make a "real-life" mock-up of the above? Again, the core controller is JUST the six-inch screen, with camera/IR functionality on top, connector ports on the top and bottom, and of course all the motion capability of a Wii remote. Then the two attachments, or "ears," can attach to expand functionality. The rear ports on the core controller and attachment #2 even allow for attaching nunchuks, etc, as needed -- good for BC, or pointer + touch in Pikmin 3.

That mock-up at least maintains the functionality of the Wiimote, which Nintendo would be mad to throw away.

But would you let your kids wave that around? ;)

Expense, fragility, battery life. All the current rumours are at odds with 3 things that are the basics of controller design. Something Nintendo has always been very careful with. Until someone comes up with a compelling and feasible reason why a 6" screen is in there, it just doesn't ring true no matter how many ways we try to make it fit.

And making the screen separate is just bundling an expensive extra which won't be used by everyone, and takes the focus away from the TV which should be the focus of your new HD console.

Gah, need more (preferably real) info.

Neiteio

hyduK said:
SMG did an alright job with motion-control. I felt the balancing crap was frustrating, but it at least made sense.

MP3 had some horrible use of the motion controls, ie. when you had to open doors. DKCR was a game where it felt as though Nintendo just told Retro 'you gotta use motion somewhere here', rolling with it was frustrating, unintuitive and not needed at all. It wasn't needed in NSMB either.
I agree motion was completely unnecessary and counter-productive in DKCR, and sort of middling in NSMB Wii, the latter with one major exception -- shaking to spin while in mid-air was a brilliant addition, as many players (especially growing up) intuitively shake the controller to inch out a bit more distance when making a jump in Mario. So that worked well.

Regarding MP3, I don't remember the motion ever be problematic, but I do remember at least one instance where it was cool, and I believe that was the bit where you make some repairs by welding (though I guess that counts more as pointer tech).

And yeah, motion worked fine in SMG1 and SMG2. :)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Always-honest said:
well, we could think of a visor that's 6 inch. a display in the visor (hud) and the glasses are 3d glasses too. You can also touch it, but it won't do anything. It will still look cool touching it though.

The Nintendo On lives!

Neiteio

DECK'ARD said:
That mock-up at least maintains the functionality of the Wiimote, which Nintendo would be mad to throw away.

But would you let your kids wave that around? ;)

Expense, fragility, battery life. All the current rumours are at odds with 3 things that are the basics of controller design. Something Nintendo has always been very careful with. Until someone comes up with a compelling and feasible reason why a 6" screen is in there, it just doesn't ring true no matter how many ways we try to make it fit.

And making the screen separate is just bundling an expensive extra which won't be used by everyone, and takes the focus away from the TV which should be the focus of your new HD console.

Gah, need more (preferably real) info.
Maybe a charging cradle is in order. ;) Or at least, perhaps in light of the 3DS, battery life isn't as top a concern of Nintendo's anymore. Not if other benefits outweigh it.

Where fragility is concerned, Gorilla Glass could solve the problem handily, if Nintendo's willing to invest in the material. And producing it in bulk as they would, perhaps they could get good rates on it.

Really, the main concern I have with my own mockup is the fact there are two attachments to keep track of. But then I remind myself it's not that out there: most Wii owners already have Wiimotes, nunchucks, classic controllers, Wii wheels, Wii Zappers, etc, to keep track of, so what's two "ears" for a touchscreen-enhanced Wiimote?

I really do like the idea of plugging a nunchuk into a pure touchscreen Wiimote and commanding my Pikmin legions with it...

There's no way there will be a visor.
That's just crazy talk.
Nintendo still wants consoles to be a social experience, which isn't possible it only you can see what's happening.

Neiteio

Doorman said:
If it comes with Mario Paint HD at launch, I'm in.

Actually, if it comes with any sort of tablet touch-screen, the return of Mario Paint would make a lot of sense.
More interested in a Mario Paint-branded expansion of AR Graffiti on the 3DS. :)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Neiteio said:
I really do like the idea of plugging a nunchuk into a pure touchscreen Wiimote and commanding my Pikmin legions with it...

My main concern with this new controller is that I can control my Pikmins effectively with it.

I sincerely hope this is Nintendo's top priority as well.

Neiteio

DECK'ARD said:
My main concern with this new controller is that I can control my Pikmins effectively with it.

I sincerely hope this is Nintendo's top priority as well.
Sincere or sarcasm? :) Controlling Pikmin is a pretty complicated task, so if the controller can manage that, it should be able to manage just about anything.

If it came with a chunky Wacom-like stylus (and I'm not saying it would), it could be used both to point directly at the TV as well as draw on the tablet.

eso76

sounds like what i imagined Nintendo would do with the Wii.
I don't think this thing hooks to a tv, i think it just streams video to your 'tablet', which has a gyroscope and a motion sensor, so when you move it, the camera in the game moves accordingly.

Only, at that point, why not use glasses ? holding a tablet and moving it around doesn't sound practical.
Which makes me think about what a next next gen system could be like; vr glasses coupled with a more accurate kinect-like sensor.
Think about it; you wear your glasses and through them you can look down and see your virtual Link's body, moving 1:1 exactly the way you move in real life. Man, i think that fuck your mind in a few minutes.

RedSwirl

Kjellson said:
Thanks!

I didn't even know there was a Mortal Kombat move. :p

Seriously?! When it came out back in 1995 it was actually one of the least bad video game movies ever made (probably still is).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
eso76 said:
sounds like what i imagined Nintendo would do with the Wii.
I don't think this thing hooks to a tv, i think it just streams video to your 'tablet', which has a gyroscope and a motion sensor, so when you move it, the camera in the game moves accordingly.

Only, at that point, why not use glasses ? holding a tablet and moving it around doesn't sound practical.
Which makes me think about what a next next gen system could be like; vr glasses coupled with a more accurate kinect-like sensor.
Think about it; you wear your glasses and through them you can look down and see your virtual Link's body, moving 1:1 exactly the way you move in real life. Man, i think that fuck your mind in a few minutes.

Which is great until you fall over the coffee table.

Neiteio

DECK'ARD said:
No, sincere :)
Cool. :) And what's nice is that if Pikmin 3 is indeed under consideration as a Cafe title (and there is evidence enough to suggest that), then its own design needs may influence that of the Cafe, like Metroid Prime 3 influencing Nintendo to add the nunchuk attachment to Wii (thank goodness).

eso76 said:

Not as much as it did in the 90s
PaSbZ.jpg

Poor Jaguar VR headset, you were never meant to be.

Doorman

eso76 said:
I don't think they'll ever go this far with it. It defeats the whole focus on gaming as a social event unless you buy a whole bunch of headsets, at which point what, you'd only play multiplayer games by looking directly at other people? I suppose you could look around a game world with that, but you'd still need more traditional controls to handle movement and a lot of the actions. Not every game features a character where 1:1 controls are an improvement. In fact a lot of them probably aren't, since in a lot of cases your character in a game does a lot of things that you normally cannot.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Neiteio said:
Cool. :) And what's nice is that if Pikmin 3 is indeed under consideration as a Cafe title (and there is evidence enough to suggest that), then its own design needs may influence that of the Cafe, like Metroid Prime 3 influencing Nintendo to add the nunchuk attachment to Wii (thank goodness).

The lack of a new Pikmin on the Wii has been criminal.

The removal of pointer functionality on the next controller, leaving Pikmin needlessly helpless, would be beyond criminal.

I'm just hoping the rumours have got out of control and the actual controller is as far away from IGN's hideous mock-up as possible. That would be such a step-back in so many ways, for very little tangible gain versus all its downsides.

ReyVGM

Nintendo:

Please announce the final name quickly 'cause it's unbearable seeing people refer to it as "Cafe". It's even worse than "Dolphin" or "Revolution".

Thank you.

ReyVGM said:
Nintendo:

Please announce the final name quickly 'cause it's unbearable seeing people refer to it as "Cafe". It's even worse than "Dolphin" or "Revolution".

Thank you.

No way is Cafe worse than Dolphin.
Cafe is actually a fairly catchy codename for a console.

eso76

DECK'ARD said:
Which is great until you fall over the coffee table.

yes, and that's why the system will come with a tapis roulant which will allow you to walk around in the game and at the same time not walk into a wall irl.
Actually, not exactly a tapis roulant, you will stand on small spheres which will allow you to walk in every direction without actually moving.

ReyVGM said:
Nintendo:

Thank you.
I'm still disappointed they didn't stick with the Revolution name.

Dissonance said:
I'm still disappointed they didn't stick with the Revolution name.

While Wii was an odd name to go with, it was far less intimidating than Revolution.
You don't name a system that you want the masses to embrace "Revolution".
Though, I do think that the N6/Cafe will have more of a traditional name.
Maybe call it Nintendo Leaf. Like, the leaf on a tree that is connected to other leaves, implying the social aspect of the system.

eso76

Doorman said:
I don't think they'll ever go this far with it. It defeats the whole focus on gaming as a social event unless you buy a whole bunch of headsets, at which point what, you'd only play multiplayer games by looking directly at other people? I suppose you could look around a game world with that, but you'd still need more traditional controls to handle movement and a lot of the actions. Not every game features a character where 1:1 controls are an improvement. In fact a lot of them probably aren't, since in a lot of cases your character in a game does a lot of things that you normally cannot.

of course i wasn't actually being serious about this being what home consoles could be like in the future, for these and other good reasons.
But the tech could work in controlled environments, like amusement parks. Would be interesting.

ReyVGM said:
Nintendo:

Thank you.

after the Wii, Cafe is infinitely better. and I have no problem with Wii

Cafe is much nicer for the mean time than the other codenames were. I'm still banking on them supporting 2 controllers , an updated wii remote an nunchuck and then this new one with probably a more traditional ( in terms of number of buttons, sticks etc. ) one.

Refugio

ReyVGM said:
Nintendo:

Thank you.

Everybody should just call it Super Wii :)

Refugio

AceBandage said:
Except it'll likely be dropping the Wii moniker. If you refuse to call it the Cafe, then call it N6, since that is what it is.

Nope. I've already decided to call it Super Wii for the rest of my life. :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Nintendo Cafe is just going to be a Coffee Maker. The more points you score in games the better the Coffee will taste. The Controller is built into the Coffee Machine.

apana

AceBandage said:
Except it'll likely be dropping the Wii moniker. If you refuse to call it the Cafe, then call it N6, since that is what it is.

First of all the name will be Wii Touch or Wii Next. Secondly Project Cafe is the worst code name ever. Another marine mammal would have been cool. Project Blue Whale.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
richisawesome said:
So, what could Nintendo call it?

I'd like them to name it after people's reaction to seeing it, which in GAF's case would be endless bitching.

So, the Nintendo Bitch.

"What are you doing tonight?"
"Playing with the Bitch"

The COD crowd would love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom