• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll keep the Miis more simplified look, but they'll probably be animated a whole lot better.

BroHuffman said:
Nintendo knows they need to step up their online gaming and friend connection system.

Despite the 3DS not showing much improvement, I have to believe it will be a lot better. I'm keeping my hopes high, and at worst I'll only be slightly disappointed because a small part of me knew it wouldn't be better.

How is the 3DS not a gigantic improvement over the Wii and DS?

onQ123 said:
maybe it will also play your 3DS games
That's a very interesting thought. Drop a 320x240 touch screen on a standard control pad. Drop the standard start and select buttons. Stream the bottom screen to the controller wirelessly.

This is a really fucking interesting thought.

A wide screen on top, and a touch screen on the bottom.

It's a way to stretch their handheld dominance in Japan into the living room.

I wonder how much oomph it would take to emulate a 3DS processor on PowerPC....

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Woffls said:
15.5 miles. I totally didn't look on Maps.

I like Café, it's enough for us to entertain discussion over, at least. We should probably spend a bit of time speculating. What do people do at Cafés? Play on their MacBooks trying to look as cool as possible for the hipster girl behind the counter? ;D

Surely it can't be as literal "Yeah, take this controller to a Café"? That would be direct competition with 3DS. I doubt it's called Café just for video chat =\

It's probably only called Café because Miyamoto was at one when he drew an idea on a napkin.

Woffls

Cyborg said:
GameCube all over again.........
Except Nintendo will be first to the market this time. Sony will be years behind with their release, and Microsoft will probably rush something to market a year later at best. The console might be comparable to Gamecube in some ways, but its position in the market most certainly isn't.
DECK'ARD said:
It's probably only called Café because Miyamoto was at one when he drew an idea on a napkin.
But then we must ask, why was Miyamoto at that Café?
Café > Coffee > Boiling water > Steam > Valve.
That's it lads, we've cracked it. Everyone go home.

AzureJericho said:
Efficiently designed competitive tech that didn't break when you sneezed at it and produced a good number of classics? Let's hope so.

I think we could probably make nuclear bunkers out of GameCubes and old GameBoys.
Those things were insanely well built.

AniHawk

Snakeyes said:
Just thought I'd join in the fun.

gQj3D.png
preorder canceled.

apana said:
Cafe tells us nothing about the console except that Nintendo came up with a really shitty codename or that the people making this stuff up have no imagination.

Likely the codename means something particular to the people at Nintendo. At best for us it's a hint to us as to the direction Nintendo is going. Likely they will explain more about it at E3.

wsippel

Banned
Probably already mentioned, but what if the Wii2 uses a three part controller? An improved WiiMote with an analog stick and two triggers per part, and a tablet you can put on your lap or on your coffee table - basically a hardcore uDraw. The tablet would be used as auxiliary input and display device, for streaming games in your house, and for certain party games. With this concept, there'd be only one tablet per console.

Just a quick comparison of a 5.5" screen Frankenstein controller vs. the mighty DSi XL.

v655r.jpg

Snakeyes said:

gQj3D.png

There would be two triggers at the back that are positioned so that you don't accidentally press them when holding it vertically and a B trigger under the unit a la Wiimote.

If they can actually do this screen under button thing it would be very cool.

[Nintex] said:
It's why they went to Itoi, not for Mother 4 or another new game but just to ask for a good codename for their console.
you can bet your ass they asked Itoi "what do you think of this?" and he will reply an answer worthy of the Budda

Touch

Xun said:
Despite all of this it'll still probably have friend-codes.
If they are going for an "online cafe", which I think is an outstanding idea, they have to know friend codes can not cut it any more. When I think Cafe, I don't think everyone in there as a number. That just doesn't represent a community very well. It kind of makes it out to be an "online jail". Which is the opposite of what they should be trying to achieve.

Screenboy

Snakeyes said:

gQj3D.png

There would be two triggers at the back that are positioned so that you don't accidentally press them when holding it vertically and a B trigger under the unit a la Wiimote.
This is the one closest to how I think the controller will look

Sydle

I don't care how powerful it is, or what controller they come up with, they better nail the online aspect or I'm not interested.

My imagining is that it will be the CCPRO with a 320x240 (or 640x480) screen grafted right above the START HOME SELECT row. Make ZL and ZR analog triggers and the analog sticks clicky just for the sake of being able to make multiplatform simplified.

Do some sort of packetized video streaming to send the lower screen to the controller, but locally.

Include a 3/DS card slot on unit itself in addition to the CD drive.

Games could be DVD, Cart, or Both. Or download.

wii-classic-controller-pro-xl.jpg

Paco said:
I didn't say anything about Nintendo charging for it, I just said to copy all the features.

They'll copy many of the features, they've already said they would.
But it isn't going to be point for point. It never will. Nintendo does its own thing, they always will.

AceBandage said:
I really don't want to pay for Online, so no thanks...
Due to deals and friends (one of whom posts on this board and knows I'm appreciative), I have managed to have three years of XBL without paying for any of it.

How about shit like no friend codes, voice chat with a headset right out the box, unified account system. And actively fostering an online community would be nice.

Kyoufu

AzureJericho said:
Efficiently designed competitive tech that didn't break when you sneezed at it and produced a good number of classics? Let's hope so.

Gamecube produced a good number of classics?

To the guys making concept images:

Why dont you take left and right sides of a GameCube controller separated. So they will function like the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. Then make it like you can attach the touch screen to either part or both parts at the same time, for a more traditional controller.

Seems more interesting than hacking those poor DS screens apart :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
velvet_nitemare said:
How about shit like no friend codes, voice chat with a headset right out the box, unified account system. And actively fostering an online community would be nice.

See, THIS is what I think the developer was talking about when they said "Nintendo is doing it right this time."

Instro

AceBandage said:
Not exactly.
It has a work around where you can basically copy your 3DS to another 3DS.

Oh thats right I forgot that even though its a unified FC, its still tied to the one system.

maeda

Do people really think that they will ditch the intuitive wiimote design for a more traditional controller? Especially after the confirmation that it employs a more precise motion sensing technology than move? Obviously the controller will be modular with an expansion slot just like the wiimote was. Probably chunkier in order to accommodate a set of triggers, more buttons and an analog stick. It remains to be seen how will the screen play into this equation and if the nunchuck will return and in what form. Again, i am surprised no one has pulled dolphin controller prototype pictures. That one had a screen!

Nintendo isn't getting rid of friends codes any time soon guys. Sorry to say.
However, that doesn't mean their system won't still have many of the features you want.

H_Prestige said:
If that were the case, wouldn't the 3DS have all those features too?

I think many would argue they are doing it right with the 3DS though. Sure it has a friend code, but it is just one friend code per system, so you add a friend once and you're done, just like any other system.

Woffls

H_Prestige said:
It has half of them now, and we'll get the rest in May. Friend codes are just tags in a different format, and you'll only need one of them.

[edit] Double century! Crikey.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Paco said:
Copying Xbox Live feature for feature would be a great start.
But without the gamerscore, subscription fee, matchmaking, ads - and with server browsers and improved regulation of inappropriate content and douchbag users.

maeda said:
Do people really think that they will ditch the intuitive wiimote design for a more traditional controller? Especially after the confirmation that it employs a more precise motion sensing technology than move? Obviously the controller will be modular with an expansion slot just like the wiimote was. Probably chunkier in order to accommodate a set of triggers, more buttons and an analog stick. It remains to be seen how will the screen play into this equation and if the nunchuck will return and in what form. Again, i am surprised no one has pulled dolphin controller prototype pictures. That one had a screen!

I think so. Unless they're planning on another Wii sports phenomenon, not even Nintendo games need wiimote controls. MK Wii has basic controls and NSMB is just using the wiimote like a snes controller. A GC style controller can do those games just fine in addition to handling ps4/720 games.

H_Prestige said:

Not necessarily. They may have a different philosophy about online for a handheld ( given the emphasis on StreetPass, chance meetings, and the social aspect) and their Wii2 could have a quite separate online approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom