• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeda

brochiller said:
I think many would argue they are doing it right with the 3DS though. Sure it has a friend code, but it is just one friend code per system, so you add a friend once and you're done, just like any other system.
Plus unlike Wii and DS 3DS has a much more flexible OS, just like PS3 and 360. So in theory they can fully upgrade their online system much like Sony and MS did with future firmware updates.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
H_Prestige said:
If that were the case, wouldn't the 3DS have all those features too?

Nintendo wasn't rumored to be "going after the hardcore" with the 3DS.

Sydle

H_Prestige said:
Just having every purchase/download tied to a single account would go a long way.

This and all the cross-game features (e.g., chat, invites, etc.). I use the cross-game features every day. I'd also love to see more non-game apps like Amazon, Hulu, Pandora, Last.fm, YouTube, etc. since I use my 360 for streaming music/video as much if not more than I do for playing games.

poppabk said:
But without the gamerscore, subscription fee, matchmaking, ads - and with server browsers and improved regulation of inappropriate content and douchbag users.

I like all of those things save for the fee. 95% of the ads are for game content that I wouldn't have known about otherwise, not sure why people bitch about it so much. I'd love to see he "cafe store" integrated into the dashboard like 360.

I don't want to derail the thread, but what inappropriate content are you talking about? And douchbag users are unavoidable, that's no Live's fault.

Cosmonaut X said:
Not necessarily. They may have a different philosophy about online for a handheld ( given the emphasis on StreetPass, chance meetings, and the social aspect) and their Wii2 could have a quite separate online approach.

Isn't that really inefficient? I'd assume Nintendo wants one network to which 3DS and Cafe systems connect, ala ps3/psp with psn.

maeda

H_Prestige said:
I think so. Unless they're planning on another Wii sports phenomenon, not even Nintendo games need wiimote controls. MK Wii has basic controls and NSMB is just using the wiimote like a snes controller. A GC style controller can do those games just fine in addition to handling ps4/720 games.
What about games like Wii Sports, Wii Play and etc...? Or even Zelda after SS? Do you really believe that Nintendo will come back to more traditional controls after basically making motion controls the new standard for so many genres?

1-D_FTW

poppabk said:
But without the gamerscore, subscription fee, matchmaking, ads - and with server browsers and improved regulation of inappropriate content and douchbag users.

Sounds like Steam. I agree. The gold standard is Steam. If you're going to copy someone, that's your target.

EDIT: Accept the regulation of inappropriate content. I like that friends let loose with the F Bombs in their review recommendations.

Paco said:
I didn't say anything about Nintendo charging for it, I just said to copy all the features.
List the features.

I have:

Friends lists. <---- System Administration and maintenance
Voice chat. <---- System Administration and maintenance + bandwidth
Messaging. <---- System Administration and maintenance
A system for downloading games and demos. <---- System Administration and maintenance.
A system for promoting arcade demos to full games. <---- System Administration and maintenance
Providing storage space to serve games and videos. <---- Reoccurring expense. Bandwidth. Pays for itself in the cost of games and videos, but not demos.

A system for downloading Videos <---- One time expense for development - per system licence fees though.
Netflix Support <---- Netflix will play for this.
A system for rating other players and reporting players abuse. <---- This is expensive to do right. Requires that humans examine reports and that audio logs are kept to be examined.

The registration codes that come with Nintendo titles could buy a month of subscription time. Otherwise it would be available in other ways similar to how XBL Gold is sold today

Am I missing any XBL features that should be cloned?

H_Prestige said:
I can't wait for the 3DS estore update. The online implementation is pretty terrible right now, can't even message friends. I'm strongly opposed to friend codes too, so very unappealing right now.

Should give a good indication of what direction they'll be taking the online of N6.

maeda said:
What about games like Wii Sports, Wii Play and etc...? Or even Zelda after SS? Do you really believe that Nintendo will come back to more traditional controls after basically making motion controls the new standard for so many genres?

Motion controls aren't the standard for anything outside of casual sports/recreation titles. Zelda is just a 3D action hack and slash game and the standard for those is still dual analog gamepad.

Woffls

maeda said:
They've hardly standardised motion control. Surely the confirmation - such as it is - of dual analogue sticks is indicative enough of them aiming for core gamers? I'm sure it will have motion sensing as well, but who knows, maybe that will be relegated to Wiimote compatibility and they'll focus on traditional controls with biometrics and a touch screen? They won't abandon motion control, but it won't be as prominent in what they're trying to achieve.

If these rumoured are right then I'm convinced Nintendo will have a Wiimote that can plug into this new screened controller which is shaped more like a standard controller. I just can't see them completely abandoning the Wiimote.

AniHawk

H_Prestige said:
Motion controls aren't the standard for anything outside of casual sports/recreation titles. Zelda is just a 3D action hack and slash game and the standard for those is still dual analog gamepad.

that's not what zelda is.

H_Prestige said:
Ok, so you've clearly never played a Zelda game.

1-D_FTW said:
Sounds like Steam. I agree. The gold standard is Steam. If you're going to copy someone, that's your target.

EDIT: Accept the regulation of inappropriate content. I like that friends let loose with the F Bombs in their review recommendations.

What if the other big surprise about the console was Steam support? As brought up earlier, Nintendo and Valve are very similar companies, and Nintendo needs help with their online system. If anybody can help them it's Valve.

Pyrokai

So I actually posted this in the "what's powering the Cafe" thread but realized it's probably better suited for this one. I was wanting to talk more about the power of this console.

It seems that it's up in the air whether or not this system will be at the same level as 360/PS3 or a much improved (yet probably not as much as the future PS4/Nextbox) upgrade in terms of sheer power.

Well, I really wonder how it will hold up among people who already own of those two consoles, and I was wondering what you guys thought as well. I would worry that the system would just become an enhanced-port-fest-of-PS360-titles-but-with-Cafe-enhancements-and-features. The Cafe can have as many or as few unique, revolutionary features that it wants, but I know far too many people won't care if it's only just a notch above current consoles for specs, especially after how most of the "hardcore" market views the Wii. They won't see the reason to get it, imo.

What do you guys think? Do you think Nintendo (assuming it's true that they truly want the hardcore market back) can pull this off with some kind of feature unique enough to pull PS3/360 users over that isn't graphics?

I know it this was probably discussed before, but this thread is so huge I'm not going to bother looking :p

maeda

H_Prestige said:
Zelda is just a 3D action hack and slash game and the standard for those is still dual analog gamepad.
Exactly, still... It remains to be seen what happens after SS, since the series is pretty influential in the whole action/adventure genre.

H_Prestige said:
Isn't that really inefficient? I'd assume Nintendo wants one network to which 3DS and Cafe systems connect, ala ps3/psp with psn.

Dunno. I'm just wondering whether they would have features on their home console that they would consider unsuitable for their handheld platform - i.e. features that focus on connecting people nationally and internationally, rather than the more local-multi of the 3DS. You can see that their intention with the 3DS is that you get the best out of it by taking it with you and making contact with people daily - through StreetPass, the pedometer or the way FCs are exchanged painlessly in person.

Perhaps they'll approach the feature-set for the Wii2 networking differently, even if it hooks into the same basic network?

Red UFO

H_Prestige said:

what

A.KU.MU

Banned
My final concept.

6-inch 4:3 touch screen with slide out controls.

Y13nR.gif

Touch

H_Prestige said:
Can't they update the 3DS? If so, what's saying they won't announce an update to somewhat match/function with the online system of the Super Wii?

Pyrokai

brochiller said:
What if the other big surprise about the console was Steam support? As brought up earlier, Nintendo and Valve are very similar companies, and Nintendo needs help with their online system. If anybody can help them it's Valve.

This would absolutely -blow- my mind.

Alien Coded DNA said:
Can't they update the 3DS? If so, what's saying they won't announce an update to somewhat match/function with the online system of the Super Wii?

They will update it. They've already said they will add messaging and game invites, and likely even friend requests.
They will not, however, get rid of Friend Codes. Sorry guys.

civilstrife said:
Ok, so you've clearly never played a Zelda game.

OOT, MM, and TP.

Look, I'm not saying it's 100% GOW or NG. But a lot of time is spent hacking and slashing and the controls are very similar to those kinds of games.

I just hope they say something about this on the 25/6th as the level of wishful thinking and speculation in this thread is making me faint.

MYE

H_Prestige said:

LOL

Touch

brochiller said:
It could be possible, with Valve working with SONY with Portals Steam support. Though, having Steam actually be the online structure for a home console is a totally different thing. More like a dream..

maeda

Woffls said:
They've hardly standardised motion control. Surely the confirmation - such as it is - of dual analogue sticks is indicative enough of them aiming for core gamers? I'm sure it will have motion sensing as well, but who knows, maybe that will be relegated to Wiimote compatibility and they'll focus on traditional controls with biometrics and a touch screen? They won't abandon motion control, but it won't be as prominent in what they're trying to achieve.
Yeah, right! You are playing Kinect Sport with a traditional controller, just like Sports Champions etc. That is just nonsense. Modern party games heavily rely on motion controls, it's time to start dealing with that. Motion controls are here to stay.

AceBandage said:
They will update it. They've already said they will add messaging and game invites, and likely even friend requests.
Do u work for Nintendo?

I ask because u apologized for them twice in 2 pages.

A.KU.MU said:
My final concept.

6-inch 4:3 touch screen with slide out controls.

Y13nR.gif

Power button should be on the top of the tablet or something like that. It's a sleek design, but I think I'd kill myself if I was stuck on crappy analogue nubs instead of real sticks for the next 6 years.

Sydle

BMF said:
List the features.

I have:

Friends lists. <---- System Administration and maintenance
Voice chat. <---- System Administration and maintenance + bandwidth
Messaging. <---- System Administration and maintenance
A system for downloading games and demos. <---- System Administration and maintenance.
A system for promoting arcade demos to full games. <---- System Administration and maintenance
Providing storage space to serve games and videos. <---- Reoccurring expense. Bandwidth. Pays for itself in the cost of games and videos, but not demos.

A system for downloading Videos <---- One time expense for development - per system licence fees though.
Netflix Support <---- Netflix will play for this.
A system for rating other players and reporting players abuse. <---- This is expensive to do right. Requires that humans examine reports and that audio logs are kept to be examined.

The registration codes that come with Nintendo titles could buy a month of subscription time. Otherwise it would be available in other ways similar to how XBL Gold is sold today.

All of the above. Would also love to see cross-game features like chat and invites, as well as cloud backup/saves. It would also be cool if there were a subset of games that you could buy once and play on either the 3DS or Wii HiFi through the cloud.

Alien Coded DNA said:
It could be possible, with Valve working with SONY with Portals Steam support. Though, having Steam actually be the online structure for a home console is a totally different thing. More like a dream..

I remember there was a wild rumor about Nintendo and Valve working together a while back. Plus with Valve's interest in biofeedback, maybe Nintendo could help them bring out games that support biofeedback with their new technology. Could be beneficial to both parties.

Rich!

Kyoufu said:
Gamecube produced a good number of classics?

of course.

wind waker, resident evil remake, resident evil 4, metroid prime 1 and 2, killer 7, paper Mario, pikmin, f zero gx, rogue leader, luigis mansion, smash bros melee, twilight princess, jungle beat, and TONS more.

you were saying?

Woffls

maeda said:
Yeah, right! You are playing Kinect Sport with a traditional controller, just like Sports Champions etc. That is just nonsense. Modern party games heavily rely on motion controls, it's time to start dealing with that. Motion controls are here to stay.
Uhh, you seem to have narrowed it down a bit from "so many genres" to "modern party games". Make your mind up then try again.

What the hell do people even mean by Steam support on consoles? All it's amounting too on the PS3 is you get the PC version when you buy the PS3 version. And it's not like Nintendo games are going to start getting PC ports anytime soon, so I have no idea what the benefit is.

Touch

AceBandage said:
I don't see why they would keep friend codes. What's your reasoning for them keeping them? Messaging, invites, friend request and the like scream gamertags not numbers. Sure, they are representing the same thing but when it comes down to it, a name is greater than a number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom