• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woffls

Best I can do in a relatively small space of time with my lame shopping skills. I left the speaker in partly intentionally, but I also couldn't be bothered to get rid of it xD I half expect it to have a speaker of some kind anyway. Umm, I messed up with the screen positioning being a bit off, and the buttons are odd on purpose. I think the whole thing will be 6" (the same diagonal length as the 3DS, near enough, and the screen will be 4.5" or something.

N6Mockup-1.jpg

[edit] Made some changes to the pic.

Rich!

My wishes for this console at E3:

- A good line up of third party support. Not just names - show some games in development by EA and the like (maybe valve? who knows) which really show the potential of the console against the PS3 and 360.

- The power of this console to be what is rumoured. Not too excessive, I have a PC for that. But being above the PS3 is a must.

- A new F Zero in HD. Seriously. It's been too long. Failing that, a new Starfox - as long as either of those are developed by Retro, I'm happy.

- A decent controller that mixes the traditional (like the GC controller) with a smaller touch screen - 3DS lower screen size would be fine.

- HD kirby for the lulz

apana

Bizzyb said:
So now that Pikmin 3 has all been but confirmed for release on Wii 2 can we all just move on and agree that Skyward Sword and Dragon Quest X have moved as well.

There are absolutely ZERO gains to be made by releasing these games on Wii only at this point in Wii's life.

Nooooooooooo!!!!! You don't even know what the hell this thing is and you want all the games to be shifted to it?

apana said:
First of all the name will be Wii Touch or Wii Next. Secondly Project Cafe is the worst code name ever. Another marine mammal would have been cool. Project Blue Whale.

If we're going to Marine Mammals, then you have to name it Project Protocetus.

Rich!

apana said:
Nooooooooooo!!!!! You don't even know what the hell this thing is and you want all the games to be shifted to it?

I'd happily have Nintendo move Skyward Sword to the new console if the extra power and HD will be enough to do the terrific art style justice. But they most likely wont.

apana

gofreak said:
There is, I think, a fairly large overlap between Wii ownership and ownership of a PS3 or 360 (or PC), but Nintendo doesn't get a look in on a lot of the software activity of these owners, and I think maybe Nintendo does want a slice of that, because it's perhaps more dependable than the 'blue ocean' market that.

If they do want a share of that software market, to 'recapture' the hardcore in that sense, capture more of their activity on their platform rather than on a Sony or MS one, then that's where having enough power to support big third party games for the coming generation becomes important. Yes, a lot of hardcore people will buy one anyway just for Nintendo's stuff, but if Nintendo wants more than that they'll have to support more than that in their platform's capability.

Is that actually true? I remember Pachter saying most Wii owners don't own another console.

Rich!

apana said:
Is that actually true? I remember Pachter saying most Wii owners don't own another console.

I'd bet on the majority of those single console owning Wii players literally only have it for Wii Sports or maybe two or three other games though. I've spoken to a worryingly large amount of people at work who seemed totally unaware that you can play anything else on it.

apana said:

Pachter doesn't have a clue what's actually going on.
There is indeed a big overlap between ownership.
Again, Nintendo offers long time gamers something that Sony and MS can not, and so, they would own a Wii.

I'll do a shitty drawing later, but here's a concept I think would work:

Right hand controller similar to Wiimote, but replace A and the dpad with 4 buttons and analog stick respectively.

Left hand controller looking something like one of those handheld mirrors. The grip would include an analog stick and then on top it would widen somewhat into the touchscreen. This is really the only one-handed way for the screen to work without having to rest it on your lap. I agree with those saying Nintendo would be NUTS to go back to traditional controls after the success they've had with Wii. The fact that MS and Sony hopped on the bandwagon only validates this).

Here's the kicker. You wouldn't really have a free hand to use the touch screen when you use the pointer, BUT according to the rumors (I'm counting on the fact it's actually not a mistranslation), there is a sensor bar built into the controller. So you can navigate the 6" screen with the pointer or direct touch.

Sounds crazy but I can see it working.

Futureman

Woffls said:
Best I can do in a relatively small space of time with my lame shopping skills. I left the speaker in partly intentionally, but I also couldn't be bothered to get rid of it xD I half expect it to have a speaker of some kind anyway. Umm, I messed up with the screen positioning being a bit off, and the buttons are odd on purpose. I think the whole thing will be 6" (the same diagonal length as the 3DS, near enough, and the screen will be 4.5" or something.

N6Mockup-1.jpg

[edit] Made some changes to the pic.

Something like this but not so square. I'm thinking grips like on the GC, it'll feel like a Wavebird. And the two pieces will detach from the screen for Wii-like experience.

If people want to get serious about speculating about Nintendo's new system we need to look at what hardware decisions they've made in the past.

Much to the chagrin of core gamers Nintendo has always maintained their Japan-centric view in hardware in spite of their global audience. GameCube was cute, purple and kid friendly when going against the decidedly more serious looking PS2 and Xbox. For Wii they chose a completely new input interface than successfully disrupted the industry. On the OS end of things Nintendo made inroads to make Wii a more family oriented device. Their wish was for everyone in the family to find something to enjoy from the Wii experience. To this end they included the different Wii channels to a mild degree of success which included the news, weather and browser options. This was new to Nintendo and a sign that they are willing to expand from gaming in the hopes of attracting new users to sell more hardware units.

Project Cafe makes me think that they will use this new console as a net enabled set-top box device to be used as a hub from which different devices (new touch screen controller, 3DS) will interact to make use of downloadable content suitable to everyone in the household. Be it games, movies, ebooks. To this end they will come up with different devices to connect to their Wii2 console only one of which is the new touch screen controller.

Nintendo has proven many times that they have a knack for using existing technology for gaming purposes. If we want to get serious about figuring out what they have planned next it'd be good to look for interesting patents and inventions that have yet to make it into the mainstream market.

I really believe that Nintendo is not just looking at making games anymore. It will still be their bread and butter but the market and technological landscape will require them to trail into new territories outside of gaming. People want their electronics to do different things for them. There is value in pursuing this and if Nintendo can provide a coherent network of devices to interact with each seamlessly it might give them the edge they need this new generation.

apana

Cafe tells us nothing about the console except that Nintendo came up with a really shitty codename or that the people making this stuff up have no imagination.

apana said:
Cafe tells us nothing about the console except that Nintendo came up with a really shitty codename or that the people making this stuff up have no imagination.

Or Nintendo recently put in a Starbucks in their office.

I don't understand the beef with Project Cafe. It's not bad (it's certainly no Wii) and it has no meaning to us consumers. So why are you all getting bent outta shape?

Nlroh

The inevitable Iwata asks will have Miyamoto talking in a very philosophical way about the meaning and implications of the Cafe codename. Probably something about it being focused on the online aspect and making the console as some sort of "online cafe" where everyone can get together and play.

Woffls

From The Dust said:
How close is Redmond to Seattle?
15.5 miles. I totally didn't look on Maps.

I like Café, it's enough for us to entertain discussion over, at least. We should probably spend a bit of time speculating. What do people do at Cafés? Play on their MacBooks trying to look as cool as possible for the hipster girl behind the counter? ;D

Surely it can't be as literal "Yeah, take this controller to a Café"? That would be direct competition with 3DS. I doubt it's called Café just for video chat =\

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can't believe people can complain about a Code Name. A Code Name is supposed to not give anything away, that is the point of it being a Code Name.

Somnid

Nlroh said:
The inevitable Iwata asks will have Miyamoto talking in a very philosophical way about the meaning and implications of the Cafe codename. Probably something about it being focused on the online aspect and making the console as some sort of "online cafe" where everyone can get together and play.

That would be my thoughts.

Poyunch

What if the menu/OS was a Mii filled coffee shop where you have to "order" apps off the menu. The launch sequence is an icon in a coffee cup where it zooms into the cup reaching the mouth and fades to black and then the game.

SWERY would love that. Yeah...

PounchEnvy said:
What if the menu/OS was a Mii filled coffee shop where you have to "order" apps off the menu. The launch sequence is an icon in a coffee cup where it zooms into the cup reaching the mouth and fades to black and then the game.

SWERY would love that. Yeah...

wii buy if exiting the app is a fade to the inside of a toilet bowl

Doorman

Nlroh said:
The thing about this whole Cafe concept and the speculation that's resulted from it is how it's leading everybody into thinking that it somehow means a big upgrade to Nintendo's presence online. Whether it comes to just unified game accounts all the way up to video-conferencing...but doesn't that seem odd when Nintendo seemed to try its hardest to limit your ability to communicate online with Wii and DS? To communicate in any form at all on most of their games required a mutual exchange of friend code, and they've never been keen on you being able to add people to a friends list that you haven't had some prior contact with elsewhere. Just a couple of weeks ago we had a local news story of a girl that was lured into the clutches of a sexual predator because they met through Xbox Live, and I think avoiding stories like that is still very high on Nintendo's radar. Even if something like videoconferencing was in, I have to imagine that the circumstances under which you could use it would be very limited.

I think that, like Wii, they will try and put an emphasis on in-room multiplayer. Wii worked as a great "party console" because it had a lot of things that were simple to explain and could be played by a group in a room together. They've stressed that dynamic a lot and even if they do expand their online functionality, the brunt of their multiplayer focus will still be local.

Xun

Nlroh said:
Despite all of this it'll still probably have friend-codes.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Refreshment.01 said:
Nintendo has considered that and they even have a prototype shell of the 3DS that does that. The idea for a similar controller has been making the rounds for years.

Also its not the same but it gives a similar functionality check the swithblade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3GOwkV9rfc

Link? It's good that Nintendo considered it, at least. Yeah I've seen some other customizable controllers, but if Nintendo made it standard then it could really take off.

The switchblade just puts different labels on the keys. Cool, but ultimately shouldn't matter to regular pc gamers who know WASD = ^<V> etc.

[Nintex]

Nlroh said:
It's why they went to Itoi, not for Mother 4 or another new game but just to ask for a good codename for their console.

Poyunch

Oh gosh I just realized. HD Miis. I don't know what Nintendo's going to do with that. Add more details or continue with what they're doing except make them really shiny and even more plastic-y. o_o

rekameohs

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Oh gosh I just realized. HD Miis. I don't know what Nintendo's going to do with that. Add more details or continue with what they're doing except make them really shiny and even more plastic-y. o_o
Do you want to see what the bottom of a Mii's shoe looks like?

Huff

Banned
Xun said:
Despite all of this it'll still probably have friend-codes.

Nintendo knows they need to step up their online gaming and friend connection system.

Despite the 3DS not showing much improvement, I have to believe it will be a lot better. I'm keeping my hopes high, and at worst I'll only be slightly disappointed because a small part of me knew it wouldn't be better.

Snakeyes

Just thought I'd join in the fun.

gQj3D.png

There would be two triggers at the back that are positioned so that you don't accidentally press them when holding it vertically and a B trigger under the unit a la Wiimote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom