• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question. Is it possible for future Wii games to have a special HD mode when playing on the Cafe, an upgrade like DSi-enhanced games?

Probably not, most likely due to the disc-space. But that would be fantastic.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey, I've no doubt this has been covered but I can't tell from the OP and the massive post count is a bit daunting. Last time I checked in on this thread HDii was going to have a chipset that would run The Samaritan apparently, now PS360 level? Was the 'insider' lying? Was it for a different console? Why is this rumour more reliable than the last one other than making more sense?

plex

terrdactycalsrock said:
I dont know what you would use a screen on a controller for, other than menu maps and such. But in regards to that screen some people are saying that its a mimicked just like the wiimote. And then you have the rumors that say it will be a notch above the 360 which will seemingly put Nintendo in the same position as this generation. But my thing is the wii mote wasnt really a success they talk about how they have entered the mainstream, and how the average consumer loves thier product, but that doesnt mean they want another one. The people that made the wii a success doesn't care about a wii 2, hell they probably didnt buy another game after wii sports. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Nintendo thinks they reached critical success, but in reality it was only a love affair.
But those are the same people that buy a new iPhone every other year or just switched their iPad for an iPad 2. It's not like 1950 where you would buy one tv-set in your entire life.

AceBandage said:
Sony will respond with NGP and lots of PS3 stuff.
I think MS is off in its own little world, though. Last year was just awful. We'll see, though.

When are they not?
"HEY GUYS! WE'RE MAKING A NEW BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL!"
*shelved forever*
Oh I don't necessarily mean what they will respond with at this E3 - although I would imagine if they know Nintendo is brewing an announcement they'd have to be considering pushing a next gen announcement forwards?

I meant more - what will Sony and MS release?

antonz

StuBurns said:
Hey, I've no doubt this has been covered but I can't tell from the OP and the massive post count is a bit daunting. Last time I checked in this was going to have a chipset that would run The Samaritan apparently, now PS360 level? Was the 'insider' lying? Was it for a different console? Why is this rumour more reliable than the last one or than making more sense?

The French site made some speculative guesses based on the lack of information on certain things and Gamer sites ran the info as Fact.

Right now the whole thing is one big clusterfuck. The real answer is we have no idea. Bunch of sites maintain significantly more powerful than PS360. Several others say we dont know or just a bit more.

apana

Nintendo's new controller:

r2-d2-princess-leia-hologram.jpg

Pocks

StuBurns said:
Hey, I've no doubt this has been covered but I can't tell from the OP and the massive post count is a bit daunting. Last time I checked in on this thread HDii was going to have a chipset that would run The Samaritan apparently, now PS360 level? Was the 'insider' lying? Was it for a different console? Why is this rumour more reliable than the last one other than making more sense?

There have been conflicting reports regarding power. Detective-GAF speculates that there is a good chance it will be powered by AMD Trinity, which would be a significant jump over 360/PS3.

Some have speculated that there may be different devkits in the wild, which would explain the conflicting reports.

Krowley

A.KU.MU said:
Maybe something like this.

It's cheaper to port games so can we really blame them?
Hell yes!

Ok, that's really cool, but I don't see how the screen on the controller could have anything to do with that, unless it uses the screen as a primary display, and players are expected to tilt for the 3d effect as a gamplay mechanism.

Another thing that occurred to me is that it could also use the camera on the controller for motion control only using the fingers.. Like finger gestures in the air above the controller. You could probably even use your fingers to reach down towards the screen and grab things and toss them around or whatever.

Pyrokai

Snakeyes said:
Considering all the "roughly equal to a 360" talk, it seems like they're going for the latter. The only difference is that whatever novelty they come up with will almost certainly not be as successful as the Wiimote and definitely won't make up for the power gap between Cafe and the other systems.

Ugh.....I really hope you're wrong. It's not that I want the improved graphics, it's just that I don't want another repeat performance of the Wii, where most of the good games are from first party.

You know, I just think it would be really nice to have a Nintendo console with an actually strong third party presence and support. But if what you're saying is the case, I can't see it happening.......again :\ . All I see are hardcore gamers skipping it, no matter how awesome the controller may or may not be, or how improved the online may be, in favor of the PS4/720 with bleeding edge visuals after the sour taste the Wii left many people.

I'm not buying the holographic rumour.
Fancy Johnny Chung Lee style Wii headtracking demo, and DSi Looksley's Line Up tracking for the controller screen, yes I can see those happening, and other A.R stuff involving looking around your room with the sub-screen, but not anything truly revolutionary.

Woffls

StuBurns said:
We have no idea about the specifications. I think the extent of it was 01Net saying it's probably running on an R700 GPU, and even that could mean anything from 360 level to godlike. There's even suggestion, though not by sources, that this could just be dev kit specs and that it will use AMD Trinity in the final build. I think that's what was said anyway. Sources have varied so much when talking about its graphical capabilities, that it's best to just ignore it.

Kevin

ksamedi said:
Here is an example of virtual retinal displays. Could explain the LEDS and camera in the controller and it would pretty awesome for games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I0hF0cbw8E

If this is ever applied to the video game industry, it would likely not hit for another 15-20 years and end up being an expensive piece of PC hardware for hardcore gamers. Still an interesting concept but I think something like this is a long ways off.

apana

Pyrokai said:
Ugh.....I really hope you're wrong. It's not that I want the improved graphics, it's just that I don't want another repeat performance of the Wii, where most of the good games are from first party.

You know, I just think it would be really nice to have a Nintendo console with an actually strong third party presence and support. But if what you're saying is the case, I can't see it happening.......again :\ . All I see are hardcore gamers skipping it, no matter how awesome the controller may or may not be, or how improved the online may be, in favor of the PS4/720 with bleeding edge visuals after the sour taste the Wii left many people.

It's really pointless to be concerned right now. The rumors are so crazy that this whole thing could be just one big misunderstanding. Well not the Wii 2 part, that seems pretty likely now.

Hero of Legend said:
Question. Is it possible for future Wii games to have a special HD mode when playing on the Cafe, an upgrade like DSi-enhanced games?

Probably not, most likely due to the disc-space. But that would be fantastic.

I guess some sort of additional feature is possible anyway, I'd expect Zelda SS to take advantage of that.

StuBurns

Banned
Thanks for the replies Antonz, Pocks and Woffls, looks like all I've missed out on is frustrating misinformation, I hope we get something solid soon. I personally think 'two 360's duck taped together' is the right direction for them, but we'll see.

Sadist said:
Oh for arguments sake: I'll try to find the original source first thing in the morning (the guy who posted this doesn't normally use shady sites/mags to post this kind of stuff) but here's hoping detective GAF can help me to track down the original source from the following quote:

http://www.insidegamer.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74843&start=475
According to an Ubisoft employee -who wished to stay anonymous-, the publisher pushes all their development teams to cash in with a bunch of 360 ports to match the march 2012 launch. "Even with the extra horse power, in especially the graphical department, we aren't allowed to put extra textures or revise bugged physics that occurred in the original." He also stated that the 3D features the system offers are revolutionairy and stunning, because you don´t need any glasses or 3DTV to experience it! The controller with build in screen and camera plays a huge part of that hologram like 3D effect. "With the optional motion control and the right horse power the only thing I can say is, Nintendo did it right this time!"

If this shit is bogus, I'm stupid.

You know this sounds like a modified 3DS comment. Change the year to 2011 and imagine this comment was made around this time last year.

I would call BS on this, and I can see why you were hesitant to even post it.

Man this is all so confusing.

I just want Nintendo to announce this thing so we can all get hyped about [Nintendo franchise here] in HD. That's much less tiring.

apana

StuBurns said:
Thanks for the replies Antonz, Pocks and Woffls, looks like all I've missed out on is frustrating misinformation, I hope we get something solid soon. I personally think 'two 360's duck taped together' is the right direction for them, but we'll see.

What makes the most sense is half a generation leap. Be cheap enough to be profitable while good enough to run decent PS4/720 ports.

EmCeeGramr said:

I just want Nintendo to announce this thing so we can all get hyped about [Nintendo franchise here] in HD. That's much less tiring.

yes goddamn, at this point the rumors can only get more confusing , it's gonna be a long week/1.5 months

apana

EmCeeGramr said:

Well there's nothing to stop the thread from going in that direction. We are basically working off of no information right now.

EmCeeGramr said:

We can already do that!
Metroid Prime: Space Federation Edition

Play as Anthony Higgs as a lone Galactic Enforcer in a quest to stop the Space Pirate menace!

antonz

At this point we have to hope IGN is right about the Pre-Announcement happening this month. If thats wrong and we dont get anything by the 26th then its going to be a long wait til E3

antonz

Nintendawg said:
...Until what now?
Nintendos Investor Meeting in Japan. They will discuss the past fiscal years performance and what they plan for the future to correct problems. The expectation is the Pre-Announcement will come from there

apana said:
What makes the most sense is half a generation leap. Be cheap enough to be profitable while good enough to run decent PS4/720 ports.
I don't see it that way. If the Super Wii has a 2 year head start, then the PS4 and 720 will get Super Wii ports, not the other way around.

apana

Since people are talking about Metroid let me just say that Wii 2 is a good chance to revive the series. I think the best bet would be a complete reboot. Scrap the whole story and start over from the very beggining.

StuBurns

Banned
apana said:
Maybe, I can't see why they'd want middling ports though, especially with such a different interface. The odd thing like CoD or something, but otherwise I imagine they want all the games on the system to be for that system. I'm not a big fan of Nintendo's direction, but it has made those systems stand out as massively different. PS3 and 360 are practically the same to the point people don't even care to differentiate them and say 'PS360' all the time.

apana said:
Since people are talking about Metroid let me just say that Wii 2 is a good chance to revive the series. I think the best bet would be a complete reboot. Scrap the whole story and start over from the very beggining.

Metroid Returns

The series could use it, but I don't think Sakamoto will want to take it in that direction.
If anything, he'll follow up Fusion.

StuBurns said:
Maybe, I can't see why they'd want middling ports though, especially with such a different interface. The odd thing like CoD or something, but otherwise I imagine they want all the games on the system to be for that system. I'm not a big fan of Nintendo's direction, but it has made those systems stand out as massively different. PS3 and 360 are practically the same to the point people don't even care to differentiate them and say 'PS360' all the time.

Even port downs from the PS4/720 would be good, since the differences won't be huge.
As long as the N6 can run all the next gen engines, even toned down versions, Nintendo is in good shape.

Nintendawg

Neo Member
antonz said:
Nintendos Investor Meeting in Japan. They will discuss the past fiscal years performance and what they plan for the future to correct problems. The expectation is the Pre-Announcement will come from there

AceBandage said:
Nintendo's Investor Meeting and likely the first bit of info about Project Cafe.

Ah, thanks.
This should be good. I guess it's just wave after wave of rumors and speculation until then... I'm in.

apana

StuBurns said:

That's the whole point of a powerful system, to get under the porting umbrella. Third parties will not make meaningful exclusives. Why get in their way? Just let them make what they want and port it while reworking the control scheme.

Woffls

apana said:
I'm going to be honest, I just want another Prime game :( I'm not sure how they can make a better 3D Metroid, and I'm sure the revolutions in N6 will be ample justification for revisiting the formula.

OH Maybe it would play in 2D on the controller? Sort of like a map so you can see where you are... and stuff... I dunno... =\

antonz

Nintendawg said:
Ah, thanks.
This should be good. I guess it's just wave after wave of rumors and speculation until then... I'm in.
Yeah anything they announce wont really appease the forums much.

I expect this though
Iwata: We will be bringing out our new console (enter codename) in FY() but [laughs] You will have to tune in to E3 for more details.[laughs]

JCRedeems

Banned
Like 90% of the posts are about the power of the hardware when that's the least important issue for Nintendo in terms of profit and sales.

Their main concern, I assume, is what their next unique, innovative "gimmick" will be or how to properly implement it that would stir up wide spread interest like the DS, Wii Balance board, and Wiimote did. If you think the general gaming populace cares as much about graphics then you're out of touch.

I think Nintendo knows this so once again the next Wii will be very cost effective. Miyamoto said himself it would be.

Innovation + differentiation + affordability = $$$. Why try to fix what is not broken?

Even if we get a pre-announcement, I'd imagine it's going to be like the short paragraph blurb for the 3DS last year though mercifully, we won't have a Looksley's Line Up this time around.

apana

Woffls said:
I'm going to be honest, I just want another Prime game :( I'm not sure how they can make a better 3D Metroid, and I'm sure the revolutions in N6 will be ample justification for revisiting the formula.

OH Maybe it would play in 2D on the controller? Sort of like a map so you can see where you are... and stuff... I dunno... =\

There is nobody to make it right now. Retro wants to do new stuff.

Medalion

Banned
This thread is gonna be gold when the actual unveiling and it turns out that the laughably bad mockups look better than the final product

Krowley

BMF said:
I don't see it that way. If the Super Wii has a 2 year head start, then the PS4 and 720 will get Super Wii ports, not the other way around.

This is a key factor.

If it looks better than the other two consoles, and even if it's only a little bit better, the hardcore early adopters will buy the machine. At that point, you get into a ps2 type of scenario. More powerful consoles come out later, but everybody is tied to the cafe as their standard gaming system, and it pulls down visual quality all around except for first party games.

Also, if the cafe comes out with a certain visual level and is successful in the early going, MS and Sony might very well decide to skimp a bit on visuals themselves to avoid getting destroyed on price.

In all honesty, I'd fucking love it if Nintendo went back to something like those for the design, I want something that LOOKS like a gaming console, the Wii is too... small and sleek and simple for my tastes, that simpleness of it wore off too quick for me. :(

Quadrangulum said:
Even if we get a pre-announcement, I'd imagine it's going to be like the short paragraph blurb for the 3DS last year though mercifully, we won't have a Looksley's Line Up this time around.

No, they won't say any games. But they should give us what the console would be about.
Like with the 3DS and the Wii.

The Lamp

EmCeeGramr said:

Smash Bros....

Smash Bros. in next-gen HD graphics....

I'm dying just thinking about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom