• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
antonz said:
Yeah anything they announce wont really appease the forums much.

I expect this though
Iwata: We will be bringing out our new console (enter codename) in FY() but [laughs] You will have to tune in to E3 for more details.[laugh]

they'll probably mention the controller and the HD but beyond that nah nothing else, still the same speculation of how powerful and what not will continue. but at least something will be confirmed.

apana

Medalion said:
This thread is gonna be gold when the actual unveiling and it turns out that the laughably bad mockups look better than the final product

If it really is a six inch screen I can see this new console falling flat. There better be a damn good reason for it. Especially if it deemphasizes motion controls.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Krowley said:
This is a key factor.

If it looks better than the other two consoles, and even if it's only a little bit better, the hardcore early adopters will buy the machine. At that point, you get into a ps2 type of scenario. More powerful consoles come out later, but everybody is tied to the cafe as their standard gaming system, and it pulls down visual quality all around except for first party games.

Also, if the cafe comes out with a certain visual level and is successful in the early going, MS and Sony might very well decide to skimp a bit on visuals themselves to avoid getting destroyed on price.

Absolutely. If Nintendo has the online infrastructure down, it will go a long way in enticing gamers from other platforms.

StuBurns

Banned
AceBandage said:
Even port downs from the PS4/720 would be good, since the differences won't be huge.
As long as the N6 can run all the next gen engines, even toned down versions, Nintendo is in good shape.
If it were 'half generation' the differences would be huge.
apana said:
That's the whole point of a powerful system, to get under the porting umbrella. Third parties will not making meaningful exclusives. Why get in their way? Just let them make what they want and port it while reworking the control scheme.
Maybe, but that just seems a poor idea to me, the Wii did a great job of not making graphics an issue because so rarely were they ever directly compared to the competition as they didn't have many PS360 games on there.

I think setting themselves apart made the Wii work. If HDii is just a worst of the three systems I think Nintendo will go back to last place pretty quick. The genius of the Wii is that it's not competing with the other two.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hero of Legend said:

In all honesty, I'd fucking love it if Nintendo went back to something like those for the design, I want something that LOOKS like a gaming console, the Wii is too... small and sleek and simple for my tastes, that simpleness of it wore off too quick for me. :(

That bottom one looks horrendous. I can already picture my toddler being drawn to the giant red buttons and shutting off the console mid-game.

Woffls

apana said:
There is nobody to make it right now. Retro wants to do new stuff.
Have they done anything other than DKCR and Prime Trilogy since 2007? I must say, I'm very excited to see what they're working on. If they can go from Prime to a 2D platformer, then we could reasonably expect pretty much anything.

The Lamp said:
Smash Bros....

Smash Bros. in next-gen HD graphics....

I'm dying just thinking about it....
They really need to implement updates for characters in Smash Bros. more then anything. Brawl has so many utterly useless characters it's stupid.

apana

StuBurns said:
If it were 'half generation' the differences would be huge.

Maybe, but that just seems a poor idea to me, the Wii did a great job of not making graphics an issue because so rarely were they ever directly compared to the competition as they didn't have many PS360 games on there.

I think setting themselves apart made the Wii work. If HDii is just a worst of the three systems I think Nintendo will go back to last place pretty quick. The genius of the Wii is that it's not competing with the other two.

Yeah but doing that unique stuff is Nintendo's job with new hardware and software that proves the concept. All Nintendo wants third parties to do is to port their main games onto the system. Would it be great if they are making exclusives, sure, but that isn't gonna happen.

Kevin

Krowley said:
This is a key factor.

If it looks better than the other two consoles, and even if it's only a little bit better, the hardcore early adopters will buy the machine. At that point, you get into a ps2 type of scenario. More powerful consoles come out later, but everybody is tied to the cafe as their standard gaming system, and it pulls down visual quality all around except for first party games.

Also, if the cafe comes out with a certain visual level and is successful in the early going, MS and Sony might very well decide to skimp a bit on visuals themselves to avoid getting destroyed on price.

I agree with you a lot here and definitely my thoughts as well. It will be interesting come E3 to see what exactly Nintendo has been up to. Or for that matter, 8 days at the conference. :D

mysteriousmage09 said:
They really need to implement updates for characters in Smash Bros. more then anything. Brawl has so many utterly useless characters it's stupid.
The next games just needs to refine on the gameplay and balance of the characters. I'm not saying Melee but Brawl was polished everyehre but gameplay-wise.

Woffls said:
Have they done anything other than DKCR and Prime Trilogy since 2007? I must say, I'm very excited to see what they're working on. If they can go from Prime to a 2D platformer, then we could reasonably expect pretty much anything.

its really a question of if they want to start a new ip or will they do another revival.

if the latter I want star fox damnnit.

Krowley said:
This is a key factor.

Dreamcast :((

The Lamp said:
Smash Bros....

Smash Bros. in next-gen HD graphics....

I'm dying just thinking about it....
Are we %100 sure Nintendo knows how to do next-gen HD Graphics?
apana said:
If it really is a six inch screen I can see this new console falling flat. There better be a damn good reason for it. Especially if it deemphasizes motion controls.
Nintendo has screwed up a lot of things over the years but I can't think of one instance where that thing was the controller.

Woffls

DoomXploder7 said:
its really a question of if they want to start a new ip or will they do another revival.

if the latter I want star fox damnnit.
Do they really have that much influence on what they work on? I'd hope for Starfox as well, but new IP from Retro would benefit Nintendo's image among core gamers , regardless of how innovative it really is.

antonz

Saint Gregory said:
Are we %100 sure Nintendo knows how to do next-gen HD Graphics?

Nintendo has screwed up a lot of things over the years but I can't think of one instance where that thing was the controller.
Nintendo has been doing alot of HD texture work and art for games on the Wii. Just not a system that lets it shine

Doorman

AceBandage said:
I still think Retro should revive Startropics into a Zelda like series.
This times ten-thousand.

Really I'd just love to see Nintendo work on some sort of other large-scale adventure game that's not Zelda, and StarTropics fits the bill pretty well.

Hey, hasn't Miyamoto said he's been swimming a lot lately? Swimming...water...oceans...

Branduil said:
Dreamcast could have survived if Sega wasn't already totally screwed from their previous years of mismanagement.
DC had it's ass kicked by the PS2 iirc. Please refresh my memory, though, cause I was a young gun back when it released.

apana

Doorman said:
This times ten-thousand.

Really I'd just love to see Nintendo work on some sort of other large-scale adventure game that's not Zelda, and StarTropics fits the bill pretty well.

Hey, hasn't Miyamoto said he's been swimming a lot lately? Swimming...water...oceans...

With Wii 2 arriving I am definitely expecting the new Miyamoto Mermaid IP at E3.

Plinko

Doorman said:
This times ten-thousand.

After Wind Waker I'm not sure I trust Nintendo with oceans.

Woffls said:
Do they really have that much influence on what they work on? I'd hope for Starfox as well, but new IP from Retro would benefit Nintendo's image among core gamers , regardless of how innovative it really is.

eh idk, I was originally gonna say "allowed" but went with "want"

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nintendo has a billion franchises and i.p.'s that merit attention. it's impossible to do them all well, i guess, which is disappointing from a player perspective; there's too many good ideas under one roof and so inevitably some of that player thirst will not be slaked.

now, even metroid needs saving, which is another to add to the list. and as others have noted, it's kind of hard to imagine who's going to do the saving.

pakkit

Banned
Hero of Legend said:

In all honesty, I'd fucking love it if Nintendo went back to something like those for the design, I want something that LOOKS like a gaming console, the Wii is too... small and sleek and simple for my tastes, that simpleness of it wore off too quick for me. :(
I disagree. Gaming is mainstream enough that it doesn't have to have clunky large design that screams "hey, play me." Especially as console move closer to entertainment centers, I see designs becoming less and less cumbersome. Heck, if you can actually stream games to your controller, the console becomes even less of a centerpiece.

apana

beelzebozo said:
nintendo has a billion franchises and i.p.'s that merit attention. it's impossible to do them all well, i guess, which is disappointing from a player perspective; there's too many good ideas under one roof and so inevitably some of them will not be slaked.

now, even metroid needs saving, which is another to add to the list. and as others have noted, it's kind of hard to imagine who's going to do the saving.

The solution is not complicated. Reboot the series and 2.5D platformer with HD graphics.

watershed

Banned
It seems like there are some people who think Valve have a part in the N6. Is there any reason to believe this or is it just wishful thinking? I saw a quote back about Gabe Newell saying they have "three big surprises in the next 12 months" taken from GDC. Does anyone know more?

Hero of Legend said:
Wow I'm glad you're not head of Nintendo. Those look like complete ass.

NeonZ

apana said:
Since people are talking about Metroid let me just say that Wii 2 is a good chance to revive the series. I think the best bet would be a complete reboot. Scrap the whole story and start over from the very beggining.

Because a strong story focus to establish an entirely new universe is exactly what the Metroid fanbase is looking for right now... I don't think so.

In any case, I think the entire franchise is just in a dead end of sorts market-wise. Its exploration based play style, but centered only on hostile environments, is at odds with most mainstream games which are based on direct action in hostile environnments.

Making a title based on action pushes away Metroid's own fanbase though and generally gets negative reactions from reviewers. Pushing the exploratory aspect forward and including cities and many characters would make it approach Zelda's territory too much though, and would also displease Metroid's fanbase.

So, there's a ceiling for Metroid's success. If we're looking at it from a sales point of view, what they need is a new brand for a true action series, but one which is directly tied to Metroid somehow, in order to still get brand recognition.

Pyrokai

Come Monday, what are the chances of us being able to get even more rumors from sources? I hope people leak more stuff when they go back to work tomorrow :p

apana

NeonZ said:
Because a strong story focus to establish an entirely new universe is exactly what the Metroid fanbase is looking for right now... I don't think so.

In any case, I think the entire franchise is just in a dead end of sorts. Its exploration based play style is at odds with most mainstream games which are based on direct action. Making a title based on action pushes away Metroid's own fanbase though and generally gets negative reactions from reviewers.

So, there's a ceiling for Metroid's success. If we're looking at it from a sales point of view, what they need is a new brand for a true action series, but one which is directly tied to Metroid somehow.

Reboot the story in order to get rid of the bad story that's been built into the games. The new story will be much simpler. What they need gameplay wise is a 2.5D platformer. When in doubt always start from the roots.

StuBurns

Banned
Those console designs are awful. The current consoles are too. Bang & Olufsen or Apple need to go into the industry so we can have something pretty.

NeonZ said:

In any case, I think the entire franchise is just in a dead end of sorts. Its exploration based play style is at odds with most mainstream games which are based on direct action. Making a title based on action pushes away Metroid's own fanbase though and generally gets negative reactions from reviewers.

So, there's a ceiling for Metroid's success. If we're looking at it from a sales point of view, what they need is a new brand for a true action series, but one which is directly tied to Metroid somehow.

Which is where my idea of a game staring Anthony Higgs comes in.
Make it into Nintendo's own Halo.

ksamedi

So, with the VRD technology, you wouldn't even need a TV! The screen will be projected right into your eye. You just need the console to do the processing and stream it to the controller. VRD uses a combination of LCD and cameras to work, which pretty much supports the rumors.

I really hope I'm right here because that would be totally awesome.

watershed

Banned
Plinko said:
After Wind Waker I'm not sure I trust Nintendo with oceans.

Seriously? For me, Nintendo is one of the few companies that make water and games fun. Think Wind Waker, even if it did get tedious, Mario Sunshine, Wave Race, etc. I've always liked the "water stages" in Nintendo games or just the way they make water look so inviting. I'm hoping the Miyamoto swimming/water related IP takes water based gaming to the next level...in HD!

Treefingers said:
Wow I'm glad you're not head of Nintendo. Those look like complete ass.

heck i dont even know what "look" a game console should have, i personally like the direction game consoles have gone in, i don't need a obnoxious/grandiose design for something that'll sit in my entertainment center and only be touched to change discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom