• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
StuBurns said:
Those console designs are awful. The current consoles are too. Bang & Olufsen or Apple need to go into the industry so we can have something pretty.
Their designs are pretty stupid-looking IMO. Apple yes. But I think Nintendo did a great job with the Wii (as did Sony with the Slim).

Pyrokai said:
Come Monday, what are the chances of us being able to get even more rumors from sources? I hope people leak more stuff when they go back to work tomorrow :p

come monday i expect any and anything we here outside of the sites that have already broken news to be outlandish bullshit, but thats just the cynic in me talking.

Hero of Legend said:
I want something that LOOKS like a gaming console, the Wii is too... small and sleek and simple for my tastes, that simpleness of it wore off too quick for me. :(

Sleek and simple is bad now? What the heck!?

AceBandage said:
Nintendo will learn quickly. Especially if they are working with third parties.
antonz said:
Nintendo has been doing alot of HD texture work and art for games on the Wii. Just not a system that lets it shine
EAD Tokyo, EAD 3 and Retro are ready without a doubt, I'm more concerned about their other studios that seemed to struggle this gen with their making games not look like GC games.

DoomXploder7 said:
heck i dont even know what "look" a game console should have, i personally like the direction game consoles have gone in, i don't need a obnoxious/grandiose design for something that'll sit in my entertainment center and only be touched to change discs.
I agree with this, it's nice that electronics designs are becoming more and more simple & clean and less obnoxious.

StuBurns

Banned
Treefingers said:
Their designs are pretty stupid-looking IMO. Apple yes. But I think Nintendo did a great job with the Wii (as did Sony with the Slim).
I actually think the original PS3 is the best of the current gen (although way too big), the slim looks really cheap.

DoomXploder7 said:
the funniest thing looking at those designs is that nobody seemed to think the current gen consoles would do away with wired controls .

It did take MS a while to get away from wired controllers, to be fair.

NeonZ

apana said:
Reboot the story in order to get rid of the bad story that's been built into the games.

I don't see why that matters if we're talking about a new game without story focus in the first place. Taking time to establish a new universe and characters would just make it more story centered.

What they need gameplay wise is a 2.5D platformer. When in doubt always start from the roots.

How good were Super Metroid's sales? If we're looking at this from a marketing potential rather than just preferences, I don't think a non-linear 2d platformer would do much better than the Prime games (Trilogy aside).

apana

What should be the new look for ice climbers:

anime

2hckgmx.jpg

or realism:

tabin2.jpg

apana

NeonZ said:
I don't see why that matters if we're talking about a new game without story focus in the first place. Taking time to establish a new universe and characters would just make it more story centered.

How good were Super Metroid's sales? If we're looking at this from a marketing potential rather than just preferences, I don't think a non-linear 2d platformer would do much better than the Prime games (Trilogy aside).

I think roughly the same, besides it would cost less and wouldn't require Retro.

Doorman

From The Dust said:
Nana with large tatas.....I approve
I have a photo that's semi-relevant to this discussion...but I'm a little afraid of what might happen to me if I were to post it. :p

*cough* Back at least somewhat on-topic...Has Nintendo made any mention recently about their stance on hard drives? I don't recall where but I thought I read something about them not being too thrilled with the idea of going that route, due to the expense of it, and I still wonder a bit if they would actually implement one with Cafe or not. Frankly I'm a little concerned that they might opt to stay away from that and just take the Wii route with expanded support for larger SD cards.

Oh, I thought all the original SKUS came with wired controllers.
Still, the fact that they weren't 100% wireless was weird.
Of course, this is the company that charged $100 for a wireless adapter.

Azure J

AceBandage said:
I still think Retro should revive Startropics into a Zelda like series.

Not when it has more potential as an interstellar Indiana Jones-like.
People ask Nintendo for Zelda/Zelda-like gameplay too much imo.

StuBurns

Banned
AceBandage said:
Oh, I thought all the original SKUS came with wired controllers.
Still, the fact that they weren't 100% wireless was weird.
Of course, this is the company that charged $100 for a wireless adapter.
The wifi price was stupid, but there's nothing wrong with wired controllers. In fact given how it's so much lighter, and nicer in the hand, I prefer them.

Doorman said:
I have a photo that's semi-relevant to this discussion...but I'm a little afraid of what might happen to me if I were to post it. :p

*cough* Back at least somewhat on-topic...Has Nintendo made any mention recently about their stance on hard drives? I don't recall where but I thought I read something about them not being too thrilled with the idea of going that route, due to the expense of it, and I still wonder a bit if they would actually implement one with Cafe or not. Frankly I'm a little concerned that they might opt to stay away from that and just take the Wii route with expanded support for larger SD cards.
They'll probably opt for flash storage. They can go 16GB or 32GB + expansion without adding too much to the overall cost of the system.

I'm probably going to go with Nintendo next generation if their new controllers work as traditional controls also. I loved the way the Wii controller was on some games, but I don't want to play a fighting game with the wiimote, or maybe I'd like to play a FPS without the motion controls. I have a PS3 because it can play a lot of games that Wii can't, so if the next Nintendo can handle those new CoD games, or Final Fantasy games, plus has awesome controls, I'll be all over it.

evangd007

AceBandage said:
Likely because then you can name yourself whatever you like, without having to worry about someone else already having that name.
Even with friends codes, I am still AceBandage on the 3DS and that is what everyone sees me as.

I love the fact that I can be AgentG on Steam, Starcraft 2, and 3DS without having to worry about someone taking my name. But I gotta be AgentG007 on GFWL.

ShockingAlberto said:
Saying that Ubisoft is going to port games does not require sources.

March 2012 sounds too early. Spring and summer are slow for new console launches. The only possible reason I could imagine Nintendo even thinking about that is to finish the financial year strong, but they can do that by making the 3DS pick up during Christmas, as well.

March sounds right. Nintendo probably wanted holiday 2010 3DS and holiday 2011 N6, but were forced to change those plans when they delayed the 3DS.

From The Dust said:
or western

http://raulruizzavala.webs.com/ice%20climbers_by_Jaehthebird.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Why is she wearing stockings and a mini skirt in the snow? Does not compute!

Pocks

artwalknoon said:
It seems like there are some people who think Valve have a part in the N6. Is there any reason to believe this or is it just wishful thinking? I saw a quote back about Gabe Newell saying they have "three big surprises in the next 12 months" taken from GDC. Does anyone know more?

It's all speculation. Skiesofwonder posted some quotes from Gabe:

Gabe said:
We think biometrics will be really important," the Valve boss told his GDC audience (via Develop). "We've seen a lot of work since the Wii shipped to explore how motion -- and with this next generation of controllers -- how vision systems are going to affect our games."

Newell continued, "Given that we have all these proxies inside of our games, that measure player state, we think that actually being able to measure small things like pupil dilation, heart rate -- those are the techniques that are going to give our games enormous impact in the future."
Gabe said:
"We're working on sort of industrial designs ourselves, like we did a mouse design that we've been using here internally. You could also do game controllers and things like that and even the primitive kinds of hardware that a software company does, we're working pretty well. So I would actually be surprised if the next generation of certainly living room devices didn't have some form of that."
Gabe said:
"I can guarantee you people are going to be surprised at stuff we do," he said. "That isn't going to stop any time soon. I'm just laughing because ... people will be shocked again."

Why will they be shocked? "We have three pretty big surprises in the next 12 months at least," said Newell.

If the new controller incorporates both a pulse oximeter (vitality sensor) and some form of pupil detection (front facing tablet camera).. it's not too far fetched to think that Nintendo and Valve could be working together.

At this point though, it's mostly wishful thinking and wild speculation.

Neiteio

apana said:
Team Ninja for revival plz.
Hmm, breast physics on Nana. Hmm, I say, hmm.

My NES revival list goes as such: Ice Climber, Balloon Fight and Mach Rider. Not necessarily in that order. Mach Rider in particular would be sweet. A mysterious helmet-clad man on a machine-gun-totting super-bike that reforms when destroyed, fighting Quadrunners and scouring a post-apocalyptic world for survivors and a new place to call home sweet home, all set to music like THIS? Count me in, son.

Nintendo should expand each of their mythos with dozens of characters and settings and add layer upon layer of new mechanics to the gameplay. Then we can start adding series other than the usual suspects to our list of eagerly awaited sequels each year. :)

Touch

StickSoldier said:
I'm probably going to go with Nintendo next generation if their new controllers work as traditional controls also. I loved the way the Wii controller was on some games, but I don't want to play a fighting game with the wiimote, or maybe I'd like to play a FPS without the motion controls. I have a PS3 because it can play a lot of games that Wii can't, so if the next Nintendo can handle those new CoD games, or Final Fantasy games, plus has awesome controls, I'll be all over it.
This is pretty much my thoughts as well. If I'm able to play Nintendo games (Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros etc) and COD (TES, FF, Fallout, GTA etc) and the like on the same console, it will be like a dream come true. :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Discomurf said:
Decided to join in on the fun... :)

261kz2x.jpg

This is probably my favorite but that looks more like 4" than 6".

I can't help but think that with Iwata's comments about having to have a TV on to play a console, that Wii 2 will have OnLive-like functionality to play games anywhere. If that's the case Nintendo will have essentially two portable systems...

Andrex said:
This is probably my favorite but that looks more like 4" than 6".

I can't help but think that with Iwata's comments about having to have a TV on to play a console, that Wii 2 will have OnLive-like functionality.

Nintendo likes the retail space too much to go with an OnLive setup.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AceBandage said:
Nintendo likes the retail space too much to go with an OnLive setup.

I mean the controllers will be able to play streamed games, you'd still have to buy the games and have one of them in the system for it to work.

Discomurf said:
Decided to join in on the fun... :)

261kz2x.jpg

No clickable sticks and only three face buttons. That's probably gonna annoy developers. It's already too large to fit in your pocket as a true handheld, so I'd advise, much like the NGP, to just go balls out and make it as large as you need to accommodate the controls you want to put on. That means 4 face buttons, and true sticks (not nubs).

Discomurf

From The Dust said:
why three face buttons?

Knowing Nintendo, I think they would possible change up things a bit.. perhaps a screen button used the 4th (and possible 5th) button --- also I added a scroll wheel with button press on the top right corner... just some ideas, I'm sure its not going to be completely different then we all expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom