• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ThoseDeafMutes said:
No clickable sticks and only three face buttons. That's probably gonna annoy developers. It's already too large to fit in your pocket as a true handheld, so I'd advise, much like the NGP, to just go balls out and make it as large as you need to accommodate the controls you want to put on. That means 4 face buttons, and true sticks (not nubs).

it's not meant to be a true handheld though

Discomurf said:
Knowing Nintendo, I think they would possible change up things a bit.. perhaps a screen button used the 4th (and possible 5th) button --- also I added a scroll wheel with button press on the top right corner... just some ideas, I'm sure its not going to be completely different then we all expect.

as much as they like to change things up, they won't stray too far from convention.

artwalknoon said:
It seems like there are some people who think Valve have a part in the N6. Is there any reason to believe this or is it just wishful thinking? I saw a quote back about Gabe Newell saying they have "three big surprises in the next 12 months" taken from GDC. Does anyone know more?
They need someone to help with online. Either Google or Valve would be good choices.

hyduK

Banned
A.KU.MU said:
And why is that? One of the best games ever.

GoLTN.gif

They definitely captured the feel of a real ocean. Vast and empty.

StuBurns

Banned
I think two buttons. The 'pad' interface is way more intimidating than a WiiMote, I think it's the Nintendo thing to strip it to the absolute bare minimum.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ThoseDeafMutes said:
No clickable sticks and only three face buttons. That's probably gonna annoy developers. It's already too large to fit in your pocket as a true handheld, so I'd advise, much like the NGP, to just go balls out and make it as large as you need to accommodate the controls you want to put on. That means 4 face buttons, and true sticks (not nubs).

Nintendo consoles have never had clickable sticks.

ShockingAlberto said:
How capable is bluetooth of doing local (as in, not needing a local wireless network) remote play?

Bluetooth? I don't think you could push all the visual info over it. Wi-Fi can be used for local connections and it would definitely be able to handle the load.

apana

I don't agree with delaying Skyward Sword but I would approve of a Zelda trilogy where TP, WW, and SS are remastered in 1080p, 60 FPS, and all the other bells and whistles.

Neiteio said:
We don't know what Cafe is meant to be. We need more info, stat!

well we know it's a home console. it can't be a true portable because of the 3DS. at the most, you'll take it around the house. but not outside

I just hope Nintendo puts a second analog instead of another "C-stick" and the d-pad needs to be better than the Cube's was.

Still, the Cube's controller is my favourite ever.

hyduK

Banned
apana said:
I don't agree with delaying Skyward Sword but I would approve of a Zelda trilogy where TP, WW, and SS are remastered in 1080p, 60 FPS, and all the other bells and whistles.
I'd rather they just release SS this year, then start working on a Wii2 Zelda that comes out in 2013. At least then we'll see what a current gen Zelda is like, before 720/PS4 come out and render Wii2's hardware outdated too.

Besides, SS being on Wii2 implies that it uses the same type of motion control, which would be unfortunate.

Pocks

beelzebozo said:
i'm trying to think of a good use of clickable sticks.
Makes porting easier..

apana said:
Day 1.

plex said:
No comments at all on my concept? :(
Which one?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
if nintendo adhered to a controller model not unlike the classic controller pro, i have to think there would be a lot of disappointed people. am i wrong in saying that?

Andrex said:
Nintendo consoles have never had clickable sticks.

Nintendo consoles have never had 6" touchscreens in their controller or HD video output either. They should put real analogue sticks on the controller, and at this stage going with non-clickable sticks is just being obtuse since every other platform has them. Even if they don't think they're strictly necessary, more options for control is not a bad thing, especially an "invisible" button that won't intimidate casuals who probably won't even notice it's there.

Oh and the stick should not do that frustrating as shit thing that all Nintendo analogue sticks do where if you boot the system/game holding it in one direction, it thinks that direction is "neutral". I have no idea why Nintendo sticks still do this.

apana

beelzebozo said:
if nintendo adhered to a controller model not unlike the classic controller pro, i have to think there would be a lot of disappointed people. am i wrong in saying that?

If the touch screen in the middle didn't do anything new like haptic feedback then yeah I would be dissapointed. Wii mote is superior to traditional controller, it just needs an analog nub on it somewhere.

plex

Pocks said:
Which one?
Posted it some pages ago, but I guess all the holograms buzz overshined it. ;)

plex said:
Hey guys, I think I've come up with an idea how to combine the dualsticks aspect with the tablet-concept.
Not really sure if this has been suggested before, but here it is:

projectcafeconcept.png

The tablet would recognize the rotation and auto-adjust the orientation of the screen, just like the iPad does.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Nintendo consoles have never had 6" touchscreens in their controller or HD video output either. They should put real analogue sticks on the controller, and at this stage going with non-clickable sticks is just being obtuse since every other platform has them. Even if they don't think they're strictly necessary, more options for control is not a bad thing, especially an "invisible" button that won't intimidate casuals who probably won't even notice it's there.

Oh and the stick should not do that frustrating as shit thing that all Nintendo analogue sticks do where if you boot the system/game holding it in one direction, it thinks that direction is "neutral". I have no idea why Nintendo sticks still do this.

assigning important or even mildly useful movements to clickable sticks is a pain in the ass and should be discouraged by any means necessary.

apana said:
If the touch screen in the middle didn't do anything new like haptic feedback then yeah I would be dissapointed. Wii mote is superior to traditional controller, it just needs an analog nub on it somewhere.

agree with you. classic controller for classic games. i like the way games like GALAXY and PRIME 3 play with a wii remote/nunchuk.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
plex said:

Looks good and seems like something that could be what Project Cafe is about, but why rotate it in tablet-only mode? Seems like it would cause less confusion just to keep it the same orientation.

Edit- Or have the Wiimote on the right side to begin with.

beelzebozo said:
assigning important or even mildly useful movements to clickable sticks is a pain in the ass and should be discouraged by any means necessary.

It's fine. Knifing in CoD is simple with it, although I prefer it to be relegated to secondary functions like bringing up the map in ME2. It can make sense like in Demon's souls where it controls camera locks and the right stick is the "camera/targeting" stick.

In a perfect world every game would have customizable controls.

beelzebozo said:

agree with you. classic controller for classic games. i like the way games like GALAXY and PRIME 3 play with a wii remote/nunchuk.
Agreed on both points, but stick clicks are a special kind of ass, especially for zooming/crouching.

Pocks

plex said:

I think this design is more likely than the CCPro + Screen designs we've seen floating around, especially if the 6" size is accurate. It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo approaches it.

Probability aside, the drawing itself is nice.

Alien Coded DNA said:
This is pretty much my thoughts as well. If I'm able to play Nintendo games (Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros etc) and COD (TES, FF, Fallout, GTA etc) and the like on the same console, it will be like a dream come true. :D

Man hell yeah, that's all I want. And depending how different the controllers are, if they even are, I would love to see the 3rd party games have extra content for them compared to the other consoles. Wishful thinking here though.

Log4Girlz

StuBurns said:
Select, man is that a redundant and confusingly named useless piece of crap.

So would you get rid of it or rename it?

I like the idea of changing that shit to the pause button or home button in all controllers.

plex

Andrex said:
Looks good and seems like something that could be what Project Cafe is about, but why rotate it in tablet-only mode? Seems like it would cause less confusion just to keep it the same orientation.

Edit- Or have the Wiimote on the right side to begin with.
Oh well, I figured it would make sense to have the Wiimote on the left side as the main controller, but of course it could just be the other way round. Shame on me! :D

Pocks said:
Probability aside, the drawing itself is nice.
Thanks!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Log4Girlz said:
So would you get rid of it or rename it?

I like the idea of changing that shit to the pause button or home button in all controllers.

I would replace Start with "Menu" and Select with "Pause." Have both actions be consistent between all games on your platform.

StuBurns

Banned
Andrex said:
I would replace Start with "Menu" and Select with "Pause." Have both actions be consistent between all games on your platform.
I'd have it the other way around, but yes. Fixed functions across every title on the platform.

Andrex said:

this , "back" "select" "-" all don't make sense neither does "start" or "+" really.

Game Guru

artwalknoon said:
It seems like there are some people who think Valve have a part in the N6. Is there any reason to believe this or is it just wishful thinking? I saw a quote back about Gabe Newell saying they have "three big surprises in the next 12 months" taken from GDC. Does anyone know more?

Actually Valve would be quite likely so long as the system would support the games that they want to make. Nintendo is still relatively lenient with third-parties who use their online and Valve is a respected developer that's talented in a genre that Nintendo lacks. Nintendo would likely be okay with Valve using Steamworks for their own games like Sony is, so long as Nintendo gets the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom