• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
plex said:
Posted it some pages ago, but I guess all the holograms buzz overshined it. ;)

I really like it. Definitely alot more likely than all the traditional controllers + screen mock ups. Nintendo would be crazy to abandon the pointer design. Only thing I'd reconsider is that the dpad seems somewhat useless that far down and I'd put four face buttons on the tablet itself. Otherwise, it's a great design. Kudos.

I've got an alternate design incoming. Don't expect much artistry, but it should get the concept I have in mind across.

Pocks

plex said:
Oh well, I figured it would make sense to have the Wiimote on the left side as the main controller, but of course it could just be the other way round. Shame on me! :D
Keeping the Wiimote as a detachable component is important; it maintains easy motion / IR controls.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Discomurf said:
sure... here is version 2 ;)

anemhu.jpg
That looks perfect. I'd be very happy with that in my hands.

Expecting something completely different and crazy (and equally satisfying), though.

Edit: Oh, but real analog sticks instead of Slide Pads. The 3DS one is awesome, but for a handheld.

Krowley

Brazil said:
Edit: Oh, but real analog sticks instead of Slide Pads. The 3DS one is awesome, but for a handheld.

I'm betting this has slide pads instead of true analogs, just for the form factor advantages. It's gonna have a giant screen on it so everything else is going to have to shrink and become less obtrusive.

plex

Fourth Storm said:
I really like it. Definitely alot more likely than all the traditional controllers + screen mock ups. Nintendo would be crazy to abandon the pointer design. Only thing I'd reconsider is that the dpad seems somewhat useless that far down and I'd put four face buttons on the tablet itself. Otherwise, it's a great design. Kudos.

I've got an alternate design incoming. Don't expect much artistry, but it should get the concept I have in mind across.
Thanks!
Actually I can even see Nintendo abandoning buttons at all on the tablet itself, keeping the focus on touch input. The buttons are mostly there to fill the space, but a buttonless tablet would look a lot sleeker.

Looking forward to your concept.

Krowley said:
I'm betting this has slide pads instead of true analogs, just for the form factor advantages. It's gonna have a giant screen on it so everything else is going to have to shrink and become less obtrusive.

I actually like the 3DS slide pad.

Pocks

plex said:
Thanks!
Actually I can even see Nintendo abandoning buttons at all on the tablet itself, keeping the focus on touch input. The buttons are mostly there to fill the space, but a buttonless tablet would look a lot sleeker.

Looking forward to your concept.
I could see it too, but unfortunately the sources are saying that it's not a multi-touch screen.

AceBandage said:

It's a nice compromise for the 3DS form factor, certainly a step up over the PSP's nub. That said, it's no stick. There's no point using slide pads here unless you're expecting people to walk around with it in their pocket, otherwise just have the sticks coming out of it.

I like his design, it's pretty cool looking, but I'd like meatier handles to grip, two 360 style triggers and full analogue sticks.

someone should make a mockup of two wii like controllers with analog sticks that have a roll up cloth like LCD between them that connects to both sides

Brazil

ThoseDeafMutes said:
It's a nice compromise for the 3DS form factor, certainly a step up over the PSP's nub. That said, it's no stick. There's no point using slide pads here unless you're expecting people to walk around with it in their pocket, otherwise just have the sticks coming out of it.

I like his design, it's pretty cool looking, but I'd like meatier handles to grip, two 360 style triggers and full analogue sticks.
Yup. And I don't see Nintendo wanting you to carry Cafe controllers around in your pocket since it should already have your 3DS in it.

Krowley

AceBandage said:

Actually based on what we've heard, the controller sounds like it will basically be a giant handheld game system, at least in terms of form factor. I'm basically thinking NGP only about an inch bigger all the way around.

If there was a better way to put a screen on a controller than what they're already doing with handhelds, I would be surprised. I suppose you could make it larger since it doesn't have to fit in a pocket but would there be any real advantage to that?

Some people will say that fragility is an issue, and I agree, but I have nieces in kindergarten with their own DS systems, and they don't break them.

jacksrb

I am not seeing the great things that come out of the touch pad, but playing SMB3 on the thing while someone else watches TV sounds great.

Brazil

jacksrb said:
I am not seeing the great things that come out of the touch pad, but playing SMB3 on the thing while someone else watches TV sounds great.
Inventory management on the go, man. That's all I need.

Log4Girlz

Krowley said:
Actually based on what we've heard, the controller sounds like it will basically be a giant handheld game system, at least in terms of form factor. I'm basically thinking NGP only about an inch bigger all the way around.

If there was a better way to put a screen on a controller than what they're already doing with handhelds, I would be surprised. I suppose you could make it larger since it doesn't have to fit in a pocket but would there be any real advantage to that?

Some people will say that fragility is an issue, and I agree, but I have nieces in kindergarten with their own DS systems, and they don't break them.

That's what I'm picturing as well, NGP+

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe someone got cm and Inches mixed up, and it is a 6 cm screen. If it has a 6 inch Diagonal it just sounds like the screen would be to large.

plex

Pocks said:
I could see it too, but unfortunately the sources are saying that it's not a multi-touch screen.
I don't believe this at all.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo would use a capacitive touchscreen on a tablet controller, aren't most of them multitouch nowadays?
Wouldn't make sense to stick to resistive screens, which are only great for stylus input.

I like seeing mockups as much as the next guy, but let's be honest, anything we come up with won't be anything like what Nintendo puts out.

Krowley

Log4Girlz said:
That's what I'm picturing as well, NGP+

Yeah, somebody posted earlier in the thread that the NGP already has just about everything on it that this controller is supposed to have, and since then, I've been imagining it that way. It just makes sense.

CIMG0092.jpg

A few notes:

-Yes, I suck at art and lack a scanner
-The bumpers are on the sides of the controllers in true pinball fashion. I screwed up the one on the pointer. It should be on the right side, not the left.
-I tried to find a solid middle ground which would satisfy both core and casual gamers.
-I am taking into account the rumor that the screen will include a sensor bar built in. Thus, when you are using the pointer, you can point it at the 6" screen. Better technology than the current Wii (requiring a certain distance between controller and sensor) must be utilized.
-However, I am thinking the screen will be used for video conferencing in most occasions.
-The proportions of the left controller with the screen are all screwed up. The point is that you would also be able to turn it sideways and use the stick/dpad and touch screen.
-The return of the ORIGINAL GCN face button config. I think it's a natural choice to appease hardcore gamers, provide optimal comfort, and not be too confusing for casuals.
-I am now thinking the mic/speaker should be on the left controller and not the right. Maybe add two more buttons on the bottom of the pointer ala the WiiMote, but I don't want to go overboard with buttons. It already has a bunch.

Lemme know what you guys think! If anyone wants to steal the design and make a proper mock up, be my guest.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ShockingAlberto said:
How capable is bluetooth of doing local (as in, not needing a local wireless network) remote play?
Its actually pretty good at it, I've used the Wii remote to control a scouting robot with no other network for distances greater then 20 feet, although not very. I don't know how much information you could pipe through though.

plex

brochiller said:
I like seeing mockups as much as the next guy, but let's be honest, anything we come up with won't be anything like what Nintendo puts out.
There have been some pretty accurate Wiimote-like mockups back in the Revolution-hype days.

brochiller said:

we've came up with almost everything possible in this thread, nothing is gonna be 1:1 with what ninty comes up with but some designs have to be close.

im6LxU.jpg

Just a quick ideation rendering of the mockup I'm planning to post tomorrow or on tuesday. I'm pretty happy with the result overall but some things - like the screen ratio - are off.

However, I hope you guys like it.

And no, I won't add additional facebuttons - that's what the touchscreen is for ;)

Krowley said:
Yeah, somebody posted earlier in the thread that the NGP already has just about everything on it that this controller is supposed to have, and since then, I've been imagining it that way. It just makes sense.

it basically has everything except for triggers, but yea i can only really envision a handheld looking thing as the controller either something NGP like or the bottom half of 3ds with another added buttons.

plex

which1spink said:
http://k.min.us/im6LxU.jpg

Just a quick ideation rendering of the mockup I'm planning to post tomorrow or on tuesday. I'm pretty happy with the result overall but some things - like the screen ratio - are off.

And no, I won't add additional facebuttons - that's what the touchscreen is for ;)
Wow, I love the style!
But maybe you could at least add some triggers?
Edit: and shoulder buttons of course!

Pocks

The_Technomancer said:
Its actually pretty good at it, I've used the Wii remote to control a scouting robot with no other network for distances greater then 20 feet, although not very. I don't know how much information you could pipe through though.
Throughput for bluetooth is 2.1 Mbps.. might work for a 852x480 compressed video

Anyone have a more technical understanding of video via bluetooth?

Truth101

Banned
which1spink said:
im6LxU.jpg

What about if the buttons are on the back, while the analog sticks are on the front.

The controller is going to have an actual rubberized stick, hopefully two. Probably very similar to the nunchuks for the wii. Giving a console's main means of a controller a "nub" is crazy and nonsensical. I'd laugh pretty hard if it happened. I doubt they'd combine a full handheld into it's controller. Probably just aiming to add functionality, not take away from it.

The black mockup a little above this post is perfect! Just add grip to the sticks and let them protrude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom