• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
32MB is enough for 720p and limited to 1080p and 2xFSAA - so not that bad but not a true revolution either depending on the implementation. 360 could only use eDRAM for the back buffer.

For the back buffer 1080p at 4xFSAA = Pixels * FSAA * (Pixel Color Depth + Z Buffer Depth) = 1920x1080x4x(32+32) = 63MB so for that case you would need tiled rendering or reduce FSAA/resolution.
I don't think any 360 games used FSAA. That's super sampling. Do you mean MSAA?

Jadedx

Banned
Just about 32MB, with no AA.

32MB will fit a 1080p frame with 2xMSAA.

Or a 720p frame with 4xMSAA.

That's assuming 32-bit colour depth, though. 64-bit colour depth would have a commensurate impact on footprint. Maybe we'll see FP10 in use again...

Is that with or without tiling?

Insane Metal

Gold Member
DDR3 (2 x 1GB); DDR4 (3 x 2GB)?

I don't know lol.

That sounds plausible. Congrats.

Edit

Uh... after a second thought, why would you have DDR3 and DDR4 at the same time? and 2GB + 6GB? Why not 8GB of the same kind of memory? I don't know this sounds odd, actually.

EDIT 2

Yeah like someone mentioned it actually DOES make sense, I forgot about the OS. So 2GB DDR3 for the OS and 6GB DDR4 for games.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I don't think any 360 games used FSAA. That's super sampling. Do you mean MSAA?

FS means Full Scene, I think MSAA, FXAA, etc. are just different ways of doing FSAA. But yes, MSAA is the normal methods which requires more buffers.

Surely that's not the only way to handle antialiasing though?

True, FXAA is a newer image domain based method (used a lot in the last two years on PS360). It is fast and cheap using shader calculations I think. Maybe MS is anticipating a move to this method for most releases.

Or 128bit GDDR5 bus @ 1.6Ghz

Yes but with the rumored 8GB figure that sounds rather unlikely. If you have the money for 8GB GDDR5 and then limit it with a 128Bit bus instead of DDR3/4 and future stacking, price benefits, heat, etc. you probably should rethink the design in my opinion.

Easy, nVidia is full of shit. That's why NO console company wants to deal with them anymore.
IIRC MS put the 360 at 1 TFLOP and then Sony said the PS3 was 2 TFLOPs.

How? Funky math and those funny marketing guys.

But the truth is a lot of money and many people's jobs depend on this things doing great so... but goes to show the importance of skepticism and fact checking (we need more salt!), or simply not taking all this too seriously.

aegies

Yeah, 32 MB would be somewhat worrying for IQ at 1080p. Can't fit 4xMSAA.

You're not going to get 4xmsaa next gen regardless. It's not efficient with deferred renderers, which is where everything is moving. UE4 is fully deferred. I would guess that the Watch Dogs engine is. Cryengine 3 and Luminous are deferred with forward renderers in place for certain features. Multi-sampling is computationally expensive and a memory hog, and the small uptick in IQ that most gamers won't notice isn't worth it.

coldfoot

Banned
Postprocess AA (MLAA, etc) only gets more effective as resolutions increase. PPAA at 1080p has a much bigger contribution to IQ compared to PPAA at 720p.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I almost think it be fun to start a thread on the 3 custom blocks. Let everyone take their guesses. Then when we find out the more technical members can explain each part to us. Just an idea because that is for me the most interesting part now of the next gen consoles now that we have good idea on everything else. Those custom blocks could be almost anything lol.

Avtomat

Yes but with the rumored 8GB figure that sounds rather unlikely. If you have the money for 8GB GDDR5 and then limit it with a 128Bit bus instead of DDR3/4 and future stacking, price benefits, heat, etc. you probably should rethink the design in my opinion.

I think the 8GB figure is nonsense, DDR4 is not even in production at CES it was still being validated and what not. Maybe MS got some advanced order or some pre JEDEC certified order but that is a hell of a risk to take for a mass market console that has to be delivered on time. How high would you have to clock DDR3 to get that kind of bandwidth, DDR3 struggles to get above 2Ghz in decent supply quantities as well.

I think 4GB of GDDR5.

Decompression Block lead me to this:

http://www.bitsim.com/en/badge.htm

BADGE - BitSim Accelerated Display Graphics Engine
A display controller with acceleration for embedded systems

BADGE works as a graphics card in industrial and embedded systems, but doesn't suffer from the short life cycles affecting the usual graphics controllers. In addition it is very flexible, allowing it to interface to numerous types of processors, memories and displays.

BADGE provides 2D graphics acceleration with single or multiple video streams (including text and graphics overlay), and is an Intellectual Property (IP) core which can be used in both FPGAs and ASICs.

The modular design of BADGE allows it to be customized for your specific needs, optimizing for cost focused applications or for high performance requirements, but also makes it possible to add new functionality through your products life-cycle. Read more under "Features". New features are added upon request.

BADGE is easy to use and includes an API, drivers for both Windows CE and Linux and a backend to Qt. Due to the nature of the IP core, BADGE isn't affected by end-of-life-problems since the IP core can easily be moved to another FPGA device - even a device from a different vendor!

There is a Reference design available for BADGE, making it easy to evaluate and demonstrate intended usage scenarios. Read more under "Reference design".

Benefit highlights

Performance

High resolution - 4096 x 4096 pixels
High color depth - 24-bit color, plus alpha
Quality graphics acceleration with subpixel rendering

Flexibility

Any display format, memory type and processor interface
Scaleable for performance or cost
Scaleablefor small or large displays
Any FPGA family and vendor
Easy to adapt and modify

Future proof

Wide selection of available components and vendors
A multitude of FPGAs, packages and temperature ranges.
Surf the FPGA technology
Dramatic development of performance and price.
Product life cycle ownership
Migrate when you choose. Avoid EOL disaster.

thuway

Why do you need 4xMSAA at 1080p? 2xMSAA + TXAA would be more than enough.

Ditto. Some of you people are hilarious. 4X MSAA @ 1080p? MSAA is the most brute force, expensive feature available today. I personally like 2XMSAA + High Quality FXAA. That's it. Anymore and you might as well lower the resolution.

Top Bottom