• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] PS4 beta firmware 2.50 brings external HDD support

So it's a feature useful for, what, 10% of their audience? How many users upgrade their HDD? And I'm not talking about the GAF audience. Granted it's still probably more than those that want to play MP3 off a USB stick.

748,221 people have upgraded their hard drive as of 8pm ET..

It's a great feature to be able to back up your hard drive before replacing it, or before sending your system for repair, or before getting it replaced.. It's not a feature limited to replacing your hard drive..

dottme

If this is true, I might pick a SSD for internal storage and suplement it with a large USB disk to avoid to have to download stuff again and again.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If this is true, I might pick a SSD for internal storage and suplement it with a large USB disk to avoid to have to download stuff again and again.

Seems like a waste of money if this is basically just doing a full dump backup like PS3.

dottme

Seems like a waste of money if this is basically just doing a full dump backup like PS3.

This way, I have the speed of SSD for loading time compare to a normal HDD and the speed of USB for backup compare to my download speed.

It cost money, but it isn't as expensive as just a large SSD which is crazy in term of price.

Aurizen

I'm kinda hoping in the future real backwards compatibility comes in a future update that emulates a ps3, I have a lot of ps3 games that I want to go back to since i don't have my ps3 anymore.

Raistlin

So it's a feature useful for, what, 10% of their audience? How many users upgrade their HDD? And I'm not talking about the GAF audience. Granted it's still probably more than those that want to play MP3 off a USB stick.

I have no idea what the percentages are, but it certainly appeared to be used a fair amount for the PS3. I'm confused why you seem to be unhappy the option is now being added to the PS4 though?

GHG

Even if it is for backup only this is a good thing as it will save having to redownload digital games.

I'm kinda hoping in the future real backwards compatibility comes in a future update that emulates a ps3, I have a lot of ps3 games that I want to go back to since i don't have my ps3 anymore.

Not going to happen, Cell is hard to emulate even now. PS1/PS2 perhaps but even then I expect some caveats but that's just because I'm a pessimist although I like Sony the best.

Let me play videos (DLNA or on HDD), put the MP3s on the HDD and customize wallpapers and I'm personally done.

Top Bottom