• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Runner Gets Caught Cutting Half-Marathon Course, Covering Tracks By Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breads

Banned
I'm much more upset by the business analyst who moonlights as a marathon investigation watchdog blogger.

I can't take it.

How can such a nerd exist.

Blackhead

Redarse
Cheating in road races is surprisingly common, even for people running very average time.

Cheaters are often very weird or narcissistic. It makes good stories.

The best is probably the Kip Litton case. He ran a website claiming to document his quest to run a marathon in every state. It was ostensibly to raise money and awareness for his son with cystic fibrosis. Over a few years, the running community and various race coordinators began to uncover inconsistencies in his races. He had cheated in various and ingenious ways in all of them. He even claimed he won non existent races on his website, such as the West Wyoming Marathon. He never admitted anything.

Here's a very interesting long piece of The New Yorker on it:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man

There's a whole blog dedicated to Kip Litton. I think for every weird cheater nobody there is an equivalently obsessed watcher trying to find irregularities in all public races results and pictures.
Have they figured out how Kip did it?

adj_noun

giphy.gif

I took jogging in college. Some guys cut across campus to skip the run. Guys in high school would pile into a portapotty and jump out on the last lap.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
These runner types take all of this really seriously. A friend of mine is an avid runner, literally travels for a different marathon or half marathon every other month if not every month. All extra money goes into plane tickets, fees, and hotel accommodations. She wasn't able to finish a race about 2 years back and was depressed about it for months.

It seems silly, but I could see how something like this could happen in that subculture. Especially when you mix in having a big social media presence and sponsorships. It's the added pressure needed to make somebody cheat at a half marathon.

CHC

I'm much more upset by the business analyst who moonlights as a marathon investigation watchdog blogger.

I can't take it.

How can such a nerd exist.

I fucking love it.

Like, one thing about cheaters that I hate is how much of other people's time and energy they cause to be wasted during the investigation / apology / punishment stages. But it never really occurred to me that there will always be someone like that dude, just waiting for some shit like this to totally make his damn day.

cdyhybrid

What the hell is the point of doing these distance runs if you're not going to actually run the damn thing?

I'm not even mad, just really confused.

Really? I thought it was really good.

"I wasn't feeling well so [...]"

She gave herself second place in a race she didn't finish?

"I got swept away in the moment and [...]"

The moment of supposedly not feeling well or getting away with faking the time she needed?

It's a weak admission and horrible apology when she tries to make it sound as innocent as possible and makes excuses.

Okamid3n

Yeah, I agree with you. People always complain about apologies being bad, and I usually can see their point. But here? She says she made a HORRIBLE choice. She admits she should've disqualified herself and describes in detail her wrongdoings to leave no doubts to the reader. She says she sincerely apologizes for staining the running community. She says she will face the consequences without any excuses. I don't know what more can be added here, short of going back in time.

EDIT : bad timing on my part, but I stand by what I said. I didn't get that impression at all from the apology.

there was no real remorse, and she did the stupid "what an idiot i was!" thing to make it look like she's totally being super hard on herself, so other people don't have to. the whole thing was canned as hell.

anyways, an apology is completely irrelevant/useless in something like this. she had plenty of time to think about what she was going to do and.....not do it. she's not sorry. she's sorry she got caught, and now is on step #1 of damage control.

also, she began her "apology" with an excuse, right off the bat.

Galang

Banned
For an apology she sure didn't spare herself. That's how it should be done. No bullshit excuses, just complete admittance that everything was unacceptable.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Her apology is full of lies. Carefully coordinating an elaborate cheat and then covering your tracks is neither a "mistake" nor an example of "being caught up in the moment" it's the opposite of those things in fact.

And GAF ad server doing God's work.

Wow, literally a CSI zoom enhance.

A blog called out a bunch of people in the Honolulu Marathon. I didn't know anyone but after it came out in the news a couple people I work with actually admitted to cheating. I already didn't think much of them but that really cinched it. What's the point of an accomplishment if you cheated? Do you really feel good about people congratulating you on your time when you know you didn't even complete the whole thing?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Whoopsie daisy! Shitty thing to do, no doubt. That's some pretty slick internet detective work too. I'm impressed.

I can at least give her some credit for a clear apology like that, unlike some other wishy washy ones that people fart out after getting caught doing shenanigans.

Wow, literally a CSI zoom enhance.

A blog called out a bunch of people in the Honolulu Marathon. I didn't know anyone but after it came out in the news a couple people I work with actually admitted to cheating. I already didn't think much of them but that really cinched it. What's the point of an accomplishment if you cheated? Do you really feel good about people congratulating you on your time when you know you didn't even complete the whole thing?
Right? If you're going to cheat, why not just not even do it and say you did? Just check it off your bucket list anyway.

Blackhead

Redarse

Yeah, I agree with you. People always complain about apologies being bad, and I usually can see their point. But here? She says she made a HORRIBLE choice. She admits she should've disqualified herself and describes in detail her wrongdoings to leave no doubts to the reader. She says she sincerely apologizes for staining the running community. She says she will face the consequences without any excuses. I don't know what more can be added here, short of going back in time.

EDIT : bad timing on my part, but I stand by what I said. I didn't get that impression at all from the apology.

For an apology she sure didn't spare herself. That's how it should be done. No bullshit excuses, just complete admittance that everything was unacceptable.

? Even if you think the apology is good, she quickly deleted it from Instagram so isn't actually standing by it

fester

Banned

No kidding. Pewdiepie needs to take a lesson here.

she made an excuse in literally the 2nd sentence, before even apologizing

As someone who's run hundreds of races, that barely registers as an excuse in my book, it's simply a fact that all of us have experienced. There have been plenty of times that I felt like shit and thought to myself, "I should just turn off here and throw in the towel." The difference is she acted on that thought and then made a whole bunch of really stupid decisions after it. She spends the rest of her note make it very clear she understands how badly she fucked up.

Malvolio

Apology was as fake as her time. Just one more lie on the pile. I'm not even sure how you face your friends and family after attempting something so pathetic.

fester

Banned
Apology was as fake as her time. Just one more lie on the pile. I'm not even sure how you face your friends and family after attempting something so pathetic.

Give me a fucking break. Do you have some kind of x-ray into her soul that gives you special insight into her "pile of lies"? I'm sure her friends and family will find a way to forgive her and move on, something I bet your friends and family have done when you've screwed up.

Blackhead

Redarse
No kidding. Pewdiepie needs to take a lesson here.

As someone who's run hundreds of races, that barely registers as an excuse in my book, it's simply a fact that all of us have experienced. There have been plenty of times that I felt like shit and thought to myself, "I should just turn off here and throw in the towel." The difference is she acted on that thought and then made a whole bunch of really stupid decisions after it. She spends the rest of her note make it very clear she understands how badly she fucked up.

Give me a fucking break. Do you have some kind of x-ray into her soul that gives you special insight into her "pile of lies"? I'm sure her friends and family will find a way to forgive her and move on, something I bet your friends and family have done when you've screwed up.

she deleted the apology

Blizzard

Banned
Cheating in road races is surprisingly common, even for people running very average time.

Cheaters are often very weird or narcissistic. It makes good stories.

The best is probably the Kip Litton case. He ran a website claiming to document his quest to run a marathon in every state. It was ostensibly to raise money and awareness for his son with cystic fibrosis. Over a few years, the running community and various race coordinators began to uncover inconsistencies in his races. He had cheated in various and ingenious ways in all of them. He even claimed he won non existent races on his website, such as the West Wyoming Marathon. He never admitted anything.

Here's a very interesting long piece of The New Yorker on it:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man

There's a whole blog dedicated to Kip Litton. I think for every weird cheater nobody there is an equivalently obsessed watcher trying to find irregularities in all public races results and pictures.
That was a fascinating New Yorker read, thanks. It's like something out of X-Files.

Why?

This is like lying about charity work you do.

Or cheating at golf.

FTFY
Trump reference

Eh, people make all kinds of mistakes. Cheating is different though, especially when you screw over others. Sorry, no one likes, or respects cheaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom