• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Runner Gets Caught Cutting Half-Marathon Course, Covering Tracks By Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chungus

I think she was caught cheating(?) in another marathon as well?

kRcmYLU.png

Zen Aku

Oh I've heard of this Derek Murphy guy. I came across a video last week of someone doing an interview about him and how he catches marathon cheaters. It's quite fun. Dude is really good at this.

In the video he caught a husband wife team. The wife gave the husband her bib tracker so she get the faster time so she can qualify for a spot in the Boston Marathon.

HTupolev

So the GPS data doesn't include time stamps? How does that work?
Typically it does. Here's the header from my ride yesterday, for instance, created when I submitted the activity:

yL5Bs44.png

I haven't looked too deeply into this particular story... it's possible that she shifted the timestamps in the GPX file.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Oh I've heard of this Derek Murphy guy. I came across a video last week of someone doing an interview about him and how he catches marathon cheaters. It's quite fun. Dude is really good at this.

In the video he caught a husband wife team. The wife gave the husband her bib tracker so she get the faster time so she can qualify for a spot in the Boston Marathon.

If you happen to remember where you saw it at, I would love to watch it. Thanks.

Here's the blog on the Honolulu Marathon

http://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2016/12/no-shortage-of-course-cutting-at-2016.html?m=1

It's so easy to calculate this stuff now because everyone's times are online.

This runner was running 14 minutes per mile through 15k. He clocked a 3:49 minute/mile pace from 15k through 40k.

5km 1:10:51
10km 2:21:26
15km missed mat
21km missed mat
25km missed mat
30km missed mat
40km 3:14:42

I won't continue to do present the math. You can quickly tell that the splits show he ran 30k in under an hour. Not possible.

Just think how many people cheated and got away with it before all this stuff was posted online.

SiteSeer

As an AsianAm runner myself....all I have to say is LOL sucker 😂
no need to bring up race here ... cheaters in every sport of every ethnicity, that list is long (football, bicycling, track and field, summer and winter olympics etc etc), asianam no exception. unless you're into some model minority bs.

n64coder

Does anyone know where she cut the course? Is it that she skipped the entire loop in the park?

The guy who caught her speculated that her motive might have been to be on the dashing whippets running team. What is the appeal of that team?

She is a good runner on her own without having to cheat but it's a shame that she did anyway and has cheated in the past.

Boem

Cheating in road races is surprisingly common, even for people running very average time.

Cheaters are often very weird or narcissistic. It makes good stories.

The best is probably the Kip Litton case. He ran a website claiming to document his quest to run a marathon in every state. It was ostensibly to raise money and awareness for his son with cystic fibrosis. Over a few years, the running community and various race coordinators began to uncover inconsistencies in his races. He had cheated in various and ingenious ways in all of them. He even claimed he won non existent races on his website, such as the West Wyoming Marathon. He never admitted anything.

Here's a very interesting long piece of The New Yorker on it:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man

There's a whole blog dedicated to Kip Litton. I think for every weird cheater nobody there is an equivalently obsessed watcher trying to find irregularities in all public races results and pictures.

Thanks for this, just read the entire thing. Very gripping read. Love those long New Yorker articles.

Even though that article is mostly about a guy trying to avoid actually running, I'm kind of feeling in the mood to start up again now. I miss that marathon vibe.

Mr. Sam

In the age of Trump and profound dishonesty and deflection, that "apology" was refreshing - i.e. even if her supposed motivation was obviously bullshit, at least she actually admitted to the wrongdoing.

p2535748

Cheating in road races is surprisingly common, even for people running very average time.

Cheaters are often very weird or narcissistic. It makes good stories.

The best is probably the Kip Litton case. He ran a website claiming to document his quest to run a marathon in every state. It was ostensibly to raise money and awareness for his son with cystic fibrosis. Over a few years, the running community and various race coordinators began to uncover inconsistencies in his races. He had cheated in various and ingenious ways in all of them. He even claimed he won non existent races on his website, such as the West Wyoming Marathon. He never admitted anything.

Here's a very interesting long piece of The New Yorker on it:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man

There's a whole blog dedicated to Kip Litton. I think for every weird cheater nobody there is an equivalently obsessed watcher trying to find irregularities in all public races results and pictures.

Thanks for posting this, that New Yorker article is fascinating.

I find the rampant course cutting fascinating. I'm slow enough that I'm just happy finishing a race. It's one of the reasons I like marathons, where finishing feels like an accomplishment unto itself, and there are people cheering you on even if you're in the middle of the pack. It'd be weird cheating myself out of that, especially since no one really cares about my time.

Boem

I find the rampant course cutting fascinating. I'm slow enough that I'm just happy finishing a race. It's one of the reasons I like marathons, where finishing feels like an accomplishment unto itself, and there are people cheering you on even if you're in the middle of the pack. It'd be weird cheating myself out of that, especially since no one really cares about my time.

Yeah nobody that knows me irl would even believe for a second I could finish among the fastest. I'm simply not even near that level, and I don't think I'll ever do the amount of hardcore training you need to manage that. Which is fine, the fun is in participating and managing to finish at all, reaching your personal goals. The amount of good vibes surrounding that are always great and I wouldn't want to spoil that for anything.

p2535748

The other funny thing here is the varied amount of work some people put into this. I took a look at that marathon investigation blog, and some people just skip out on huge portions of the race obviously (there was one guy who claims to have run the second half of a marathon in 17 minutes!), while others must research where the mats are and plan a route around them. This woman seems to be one of the more calculating ones.

My favorite are the people who just have someone else run the race and then brag about the time, forgetting that you can easily look up pictures from the race.

Lebron

What a lol apology. Cheated and she still couldn't get #1. She put in overtime to try and cover it up too. Not surprised she ran off social media

Girl bye

fester

Banned
"I cheated"
"I stole the award"
"I admit my foolishness"
"I tried to cover my tracks"
"I accept responsibility and the consequences."

This apology is fine and way better than most public ones. I don't know what else you guys want from her? Maybe it's just the satisfaction of rubbing someone's mistake in their face that makes apologies impossible to please everyone.

MadFerIt

"I cheated"
"I stole the award"
"I admit my foolishness"

This apology is fine and way better than most public ones. I don't know what else you guys want from her? Maybe it's just the satisfaction of rubbing someone's mistake in their face that makes apologies impossible to please everyone.

Agreed, felt like a real apology written by someone with guilt/shame, as opposed to something that was written by someone in PR.

Yes. Cheating at road races is cheating against yourself. Your time only matters if it's a big race and you're in the lead pack. The lead pack has race officials following them, it's impossible to cheat.

So your time does not mean anything and nobody but you care about it. I guess some people really get a huge ego boost from a Boston jacket or water cooler talk or something.

That's funny because most people have no idea about what running time represents. They are about as impressed with someone running a marathon in 6h or 2h30. Like if someone told me they golfed 70 or 100 last weekend. I wouldn't be able to relate or appreciate much at either.

Boem

"I cheated"
"I stole the award"
"I admit my foolishness"

Some people aren't satisfied until marriages and careers are ruined.

She did something wrong, she got caught, she admitted and apologized. The award will be taken away and given to the person who deserves it, and she'll probably be banned from some events for a while. Nothing more that can be done at this point. What she did was bad and dumb, but not exactly the kind of thing that deserves her life to be ruined over.

It's interesting psychologically what makes people do this. I remember doing a race once where I realised I could cut a bit of the course off and save a few minutes but it didn't enter my head to do it because the result wouldn't be accurate or fair. It's like those who stand on the podiums at the Olympics collecting their medals knowing they've cheated, some people can justify it to themselves and others wouldn't even consider it.

Her apology seems fine to be fair to her.

Malvolio

It's a sad apology because she is still attempting to minimize the damage. She had this all planned out and went to great lengths to manufacture evidence long after the cheating actually occurred. That's not getting swept up in the moment, that's calculated cheating that is being spun into a heat of the moment mistake because the level of cheating she engaged in is unforgivable. If you are going to own your mistakes, you have to own them all. That's how apologies work.

RefigeKru

Banned
Some people aren't satisfied until marriages and careers are ruined.

She did something wrong, she got caught, she admitted and apologized. The award will be taken away and given to the person who deserves it, and she'll probably be banned from some events for a while. Nothing more that can be done at this point. What she did was bad and dumb, but not exactly the kind of thing that deserves her life to be ruined over.

Yup.

That's all folks.

Two Words

"I cheated"
"I stole the award"
"I admit my foolishness"

The capslock words are a bit random.

There's an Always Sunny episode in this somewhere...
Reminds me of The Office when a few of them jump in a car go get a few beers and get dropped off at the end. At least they didnt try to win it. Pam and Jim scored a sweet lamp and Michael almost died of dehydration and pasta overdose. Oh and Andy's nipples bleeding of course. Classic

otapnam

Pretty sure she had professional/social aspirations tied to her ability to get onto the elite team of the running club.

Why she thought she could be smarter than the average runner is beyond me.

Even casual runners like my friends and I use Garmin/Strava etc and look at each other's results.

For someone with the amount of followers she had on Instagram and blogs, there was already going to be decent amount of people wondering why there was a bunch of discrepancies in her splits, cadence heart rate, etc.

Some people think the watchdog guy is kind of lame for spending all this time busting folks, but it's unfair for legitimate runners to get screwed by cheaters - no matter how fast or slow you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom