• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Tams

And holy shit Germany - ya getting wise.

Knew it. What a load of shit bluff that the closed plants weren't able to be recommissioned. They just didn't want to (do it, nor admit they hadn't made much progress in decommissioning them as the greens would throw a fit).

Not that I'm saying recommissioning a nuclear plant that actually has had significant decommissioning work done is easy. I just doubt they ever got that far. Perhaps some in the German government knew the folly of it and threw some spanners in the works and delayed as much as possible? And there are also some German companies that will have had interest in the plants not being decommissioned, especially Siemens.

winjer

Gold Member

Supplying Russian troops at Kherson has become a lot harder.
Of course Russia claims everything is fine. But images confirmed the damage.

EZewj2f.jpg

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
"The Biden administration is working furiously behind the scenes to keep European allies united against Russia as Moscow further cuts its energy supplies to the European Union, prompting panic on both sides of the Atlantic over potentially severe gas shortages heading into winter, US officials say.

On Monday, Russia's state-owned gas company Gazprom said it would cut flows through the Nord Stream 1 pipeline to Germany in half, to just 20% of its capacity. A US official said the move was retaliation for western sanctions, and that it put the West in "unchartered territory" when it comes to whether Europe will have enough gas to get through the winter."

- https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/26/politics/us-russia-europe-gas/index.html

TwinB242

[/URL][/URL]

Supplying Russian troops at Kherson has become a lot harder.
Of course Russia claims everything is fine. But images confirmed the damage.

EZewj2f.jpg

The bridge is still 'intact' but it appears to be unusable for the foreseeable future. Russia will need to rely on pontoon bridges, but if Ukraine gets the coordinates of those as they're set up then its over for Russia in Kherson.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I get that this sucks, but it would be really bad if European states started waffling on standing against Russia. We've spent 70 standing against dictators (well, for the most part,) now is not the time to let bullies push the free world around.

MastaKiiLA

Knew it. What a load of shit bluff that the closed plants weren't able to be recommissioned. They just didn't want to (do it, nor admit they hadn't made much progress in decommissioning them as the greens would throw a fit).

Not that I'm saying recommissioning a nuclear plant that actually has had significant decommissioning work done is easy. I just doubt they ever got that far. Perhaps some in the German government knew the folly of it and threw some spanners in the works and delayed as much as possible? And there are also some German companies that will have had interest in the plants not being decommissioned, especially Siemens.
Is the threat of war in Europe what it takes to shake off the stench of Fukushima, and bring nuclear power back into the fold? Fukushima was an outlier, and also a victim of stupid design (putting emergency generators in a basement of a power plant in a tsunami zone). They should never have reduced their reliance on it. The 2 biggest nuclear disasters in history were avoidable. Increasing reliance on oil was always going to be a loser long-term.

how are the nuclear powerplants going to solve gas problem exactly?

Solar and Wind are sort of bullshit power sources since they don't scale well and due to their finicky nature (less sun, less wind and bad mapping of peak-to-peak output/demand) aren't really useful for baseload operation. Natural Gas and Nuclear are clean alternatives that can be used to generate electricity at all times.

So, if you would have thought about it, you'd see that more nuclear production means you can fulfill your baseload electric budget using that, meaning more natural gas is free for heating (instead of being burnt to keep the baseload lights on and infrastructure running, so-to-speak) and other uses which will be necessary when the Russians turn into pricks this winter.

Nuclear is a wonderful fuel!

Kenpachii

Solar and Wind are sort of bullshit power sources since they don't scale well and due to their finicky nature (less sun, less wind and bad mapping of peak-to-peak output/demand) aren't really useful for baseload operation. Natural Gas and Nuclear are clean alternatives that can be used to generate electricity at all times.

So, if you would have thought about it, you'd see that more nuclear production means you can fulfill your baseload electric budget using that, meaning more natural gas is free for heating (instead of being burnt to keep the baseload lights on and infrastructure running, so-to-speak) and other uses which will be necessary when the Russians turn into pricks this winter.

Nuclear is a wonderful fuel!
They produce electric energy. Thus reducing the need to use gas to produce energy. Meaning the gas reserves in Germany would last longer.

Ah didn't know they produced electricity out of gass.

Last edited:

zeomax

Your question "how are the nuclear powerplants going to solve gas problem exactly?" is a really good one because only ~10% of gas is used for electricity.
This is why everyone who is saying "lol just use powerplants" simply don't understand the gas problem.

Artoris

Gold Member
I used to fuck a half Chinese chick, dude. Doesn't mean I know shit about the Ming Dynasty.

The Nazi party began in 1920... which is just a little bit before the start of the second world war. Hitler became the democratically elected chancellor of Germany in 1933.

WW2 wasn't the rise of the Nazis. It was their fall.

In more troubling and relevant news, the EU starting to really tie itself in knots over this gas shortage:

"I used to fuck a half Chinese chick, dude."

Is that like chick with dick type thing

Kenpachii

Your question "how are the nuclear powerplants going to solve gas problem exactly?" is a really good one because only ~10% of gas is used for electricity.
This is why everyone who is saying "lol just use powerplants" simply don't understand the gas problem.

That's what i thought originally because if they heat there houses with it, like they are doing here and there industrys are running on gas, power plants aren't going to solve shit.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

It's the main source of energy in many EU countries. Although it's a fossil fuel, it pollutes less than coal and oil.
If Germany was to maintain it's nuclear power stations, and reactivate those that were already closed, they could reduce the dependency on gas by a significant margin.

FunkMiller

Time for the Germans to realise the times up on Russian gas.

Germany has to suck it up and take its medicine at this stage. Putin cannot be allowed to just push one of the richest nation’s on earth around. They’ll have to ration gas and take the economic hit. They cannot capitulate and soften the EU’s stance on Russia. Ukrainian lives depend on it.

It’s also incumbent on Germany to ensure they go along with the will of the other EU countries. Putin wants division in the bloc.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member

Putin really is on a speedrun to complete Soviet Union in a world record time

nemiroff

Gold Member
And holy shit Germany - ya getting wise.

I'm still puzzled and keep pinching myself over the closure of nuclear power plants in Europe. So absurd watching idiot politicians choosing feelings over science.. Good to see some common sense maybe returning.

HoodWinked

Gold Member

Putin really is on a speedrun to complete Soviet Union in a world record time

When I clicked the link I was like wtf is this site. Thermos Cow Times?

nemiroff

Gold Member

Well.. That's sorely needing context..

It's interesting to note that before Fukushima the energy usage between nuclear and gas in Germany was about the same (20 vs 23 GW). It was renewables like wind and solar that went up the most from there to now. Gas usage didn't increase more than 7 GW (nuclear down by ~12 GW, from 23 GW to 8 GW), while renewables went up from ~35 GW to ~122 GW (!). And which keep in mind is on the electrical grid. More tidbits: ~40% is ruzzian gas, which is why they are hastily trying to diversify their sources (and reduce consumption), some of which may be other countries and more LNG. As much as half of Germany's gas is used for residential and offices heating (which is why I'm a bit critical to your 10% number without context) of which most could be converted to electrical heating (but issues are like infrastructure, time and money).

Edit: My numbers are stolen from https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factsheets/germanys-energy-consumption-and-power-mix-charts

Last edited:
Well.. That's sorely needing context..

It's interesting to note that before Fukushima the energy usage between nuclear and gas in Germany was about the same (20 vs 23 GW). It was renewables like wind and solar that went up the most from there to now. Gas usage didn't increase more than 7 GW (nuclear down by ~12 GW, from 23 GW to 8 GW), while renewables went up from ~35 GW to ~122 GW (!). And which keep in mind is on the electrical grid. More tidbits: ~40% is ruzzian gas, which is why they are hastily trying to diversify their sources (and reduce consumption), some of which may be other countries and more LNG. As much as half of Germany's gas is used for residential and offices heating (which is why I'm a bit critical to your 10% number without context) of which most could be converted to electrical heating (but issues are like infrastructure, time and money).

Edit: My numbers are stolen from https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factsheets/germanys-energy-consumption-and-power-mix-charts

And to reinforce your numbers and my earlier point that wind and solar isn't a great choice for baseband energy needs:

UK-Wind-Power.png

Nuclear is ideal for this. It's totally reliable, can be run at any level of output and is perfectly green.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Something interesting is happening right now. Pasika which was several km deep into the frontline in the NE is suddenly under Ukrainian control.

Russians also appeared to have destroyed their own Pontoon bridge in the area during a retreat

Is there a chance Ukraine is performing a sizeable counterattack in that direction to push Russians out of the Kharkiv area? That could be an effective strategy. Mislead the Russians into thinking Kherson is the next big counterattack, but instead make a big push on the other side of the country and hit them where they don't expect to be hit.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Something interesting is happening right now. Pasika which was several km deep into the frontline in the NE is suddenly under Ukrainian control.

Russians also appeared to have destroyed their own Pontoon bridge in the area during a retreat

Is there a chance Ukraine is performing a sizeable counterattack in that direction to push Russians out of the Kharkiv area? That could be an effective strategy. Mislead the Russians into thinking Kherson is the next big counterattack, but instead make a big push on the other side of the country and hit them where they don't expect to be hit.

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

HoodWinked

Gold Member

was watching a video regarding reporting causalities and it did bring an interesting point.

Ukraine is reporting Russian casualties but Russia is not reporting Ukraine casualties. It does seem like there would be nothing gained if Russia did, if the numbers are low it would be negative to moral and would seem like they are losing however if the numbers were high they would look worse on the international stage for slaughtering Ukrainians.

Thaedolus

was watching a video regarding reporting causalities and it did bring an interesting point.

Ukraine is reporting Russian casualties but Russia is not reporting Ukraine casualties. It does seem like there would be nothing gained if Russia did, if the numbers are low it would be negative to moral and would seem like they are losing however if the numbers were high they would look worse on the international stage for slaughtering Ukrainians.
I don’t know how much I’d read into that, by all accounts Ukrainian casualties have been quite horrific too.

TwinB242

No they haven't - they are within normal defender ranges 1:3 or so.

The whole 1:2 or 1:3 defender advantage only comes into effect when both sides are on level footing with each other. But thats not the case here, Russia has the upper hand when it comes to stuff like artillery, air power, and equipment quantity in general.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
The whole 1:2 or 1:3 defender advantage only comes into effect when both sides are on level footing with each other. But thats not the case here, Russia has the upper hand when it comes to stuff like artillery, air power, and equipment quantity in general.

Totally false. Russia has never had an upper hand. This includes their paratroopers being smeared in the opening of the war, to their entire tank and logistical lines being smashed. At no point has it ever been Russia has an uphand.. if they ever did they would be winning right now.

They have failed, and have been obliterated during every engagement. It's 3:1 at worst, maybe less of you add in Ukraine civilians but ok - they are terrorists so I'm sure that's in their calculation.

But no - Ukraine is well in control of this, and are bringing in more well trained conscripts every day while Russia pulls in 50 year olds and their ghetto populations. It's a fucking mess for Russia.

The day I look forward to is then not surrending when Ukraine pushes them out and Ukraine matches all the way into Red Square. Shit will have me slapping knees.

FunkMiller

Armies that have been forced to retreat and change their objectives do not have the upper hand. Unless you’re talking about war crimes and terrorism. They certainly have the ‘upper hand’ there.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just the daily reminder that we are in midst of the Great Oil Wars of the 2020s, and not a crazy imperialist war waged by an irrational dictator.

Russia is the world’s second largest oil producer after USA and incredibly, it can limit production while making more money.

EDIT: JP Morgan was absolutely bang on with their scenario for oil prices, inflation and interest rates a month before the attack - it is now playing out

As was foretold:

this war is too profitable to be stopped

Last edited:

FunkMiller

As was foretold:

this war is too profitable to be stopped

Let's drop the conspiracy bullshit.

The problem here is that energy companies have been allowed to do whatever the hell they like for far too long, because governments have been too weak, too compromised or too corrupt to curb the companies excesses, or prevent them from passing all rises in costs along to the consumer. This has to change. The current energy crisis proves that.

What is not happening, is governments actively encouraging this war to go on from behind the scenes, so their mates in the energy companies can keep securing massive profits. Governments simply aren't that clever or Machiavellian.

This gross level of unfairness and corporate greed is a result of incompetence, stupidity and poor leadership.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Zelensky said in June they were suffering 60-100 KIA per day. Maybe that ratio is 1:3 in their favor but it's still quite horrific to contemplate 3,000 KIA a month.

Put that in context. That was during a pitched battle for a contested city, under extremely intense artillery bombardment.

Ukraine hasn't been throwing their troops into meat grinders like that for most of the war, and now HIMARS has ensured that Russia's artillery is being heavily starved of ammo. Not to mention the front is now so wide that Russia can't really concentrate artillery to that level anymore.

Ozriel

M$FT

Give this Russian propaganda shit a rest. The war will be stopped today if Putin pulls back and pulls out.

Putin's trying to annex huge swathes of Ukraine and you're blabbing about this being the 'great oil wars'.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Give this Russian propaganda shit a rest. The war will be stopped today if Putin pulls back and pulls out.

Putin's trying to annex huge swathes of Ukraine and you're blabbing about this being the 'great oil wars'.
I am sure it would stop, no question about it. The problem is that Putin has little motivation to pull out because of the windfall Russia receives from higher oil, gas and food prices.

I do maintain that a big decision factor to invade for Putin was the fact that oil, gas and grain and other energy supplies are pretty much the Top 20 exports in his GDP, and their prices were at record lows in 2020s. He couldn't get Russia to sell new things, so at least he could sell old things at a higher price.

To be clear, in the west West, I don't believe there is an explicit conspiracy or agreement to keep warring, but the immense profits this war is generating to large companies certainly do not increase the sense of urgency and determination to wrap the war.

What happens next is also pretty easy to predict. Most of that profit from higher oil and gas flows into sovereign wealth funds and large corporations. They do not hold huge amounts of cash, so it gets reinvested into equities, private equity and real estate, helping to really the markets and reverse the historic slump.

Last edited:

Tams

Is the threat of war in Europe what it takes to shake off the stench of Fukushima, and bring nuclear power back into the fold? Fukushima was an outlier, and also a victim of stupid design (putting emergency generators in a basement of a power plant in a tsunami zone). They should never have reduced their reliance on it. The 2 biggest nuclear disasters in history were avoidable. Increasing reliance on oil was always going to be a loser long-term.
It seems in Germany, yes, even though they have some the best nuclear power plant developers in the world.

The UK, France, Finland Ukraine, etc. all barely blinked at Fukushima. I have a family connection to UK stupidity around nuclear power (my relative telling them they needed earthquake mitigation, being scoffed at, and then an earthquake happening), but the UK is pushing ahead with nuclear power, even going ahead with mini reactors.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Rumor is the whole Kherson op is a bait - orcs reinforced and orc population is 10.000-15.000.

With that much locked down and unable to cross the Dnieper it might open up opportunities somewhere else in the frontline.

Thaedolus

If you’re pro-environment/green energy, and if you’re against propping up autocrats around the world with oil money, you should be pro nuclear. Coal and gas continue to release more carcinogens into the environment than nuclear ever will, even with two outlier disasters in 60 years

TwinB242

Rumor is the whole Kherson op is a bait - orcs reinforced and orc population is 10.000-15.000.

With that much locked down and unable to cross the Dnieper it might open up opportunities somewhere else in the frontline.

Ukraine advanced 7km deep into occupied territory in the Kharkiv area yesterday, im wondering if thats where the first major counter offensive is going to be. Will be interesting to see how that develops over the next few days.

Top Bottom